Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Lol - like you think he should've gone to euros and worlds and got the points?
    To be fair, if Kovtun didn't go to Euros and Worlds, he would have gone to Junior Worlds and probably got a lot of points there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Actually, as the ranking points that Kovtun gained on the JGP and at Worlds were counted in towards the qualification score for the Russian team, I believe they are required to pick him. But don't let that get in the way of your ranting.
    Do you mean for WTT? The Russian team was required to pick two of Kovtun, Menshov, and Voronov. JGP scores don't count unless there aren't two GP placements earning point, and Menshov and Voronov had the two highest GP points.

Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    To be fair, if Kovtun didn't go to Euros and Worlds, he would have gone to Junior Worlds and probably got a lot of points there.
    Kovtun earned 551 at Euros: the max he could have won for JWC is 500.

Had he skated JWC, none of his scores would have counted for WTT for Russia, because the points earned by the WC entry would have been used, then the top Euros score(s) beforeany JWC points are considered. Unless the Russian Man at WC missed the FS and the Russian Euros Men had zero or one make the FS, Kovtun's junior points wouldn't have been used, and he wouldn't have been eligible for WTT, at least according the rules.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-22-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    News posted in the Israeli Nationals thread in Kiss and Cry today: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3882608
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Polina Shelepen became an israeli last week. Apparenlty she is part of team israel now, but wasn't skating an LP today.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    haters gonna hate..
    Rabid fans are going to be rabid fans.

vCash
    That is so random about Shelepen...Israel? Is she even Jewish and/or have ancestors from there? I wonder how she managed that one? Unfortunately, this means she can't compete in the Olympics next year due to the ISU rule, so I guess she needs to sit the entire next season out from ISU competitions, though if she is still recovering from her injury that may be for the best..

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Rabid fans are going to be rabid fans.
    And are going to annoy the rest of us, but then, it's sort of like watching a car wreck. I keep having to check in to these threads just to look and see what's the latest in Uberland.

Seriously, what's the interminable use of the word "hate?" Nobody "hates" anybody really, do they? That's a pretty strong word. I can only speak for myself, and there ar some skaters I find annoying, or don't care for their skating, or think they've starting believing their own PR...but hate? Just because we don't worship at the alter we are "haters?" Go figure....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    That is so random about Shelepen...Israel? Is she even Jewish and/or have ancestors from there? I wonder how she managed that one? Unfortunately, this means she can't compete in the Olympics next year due to the ISU rule, so I guess she needs to sit the entire next season out from ISU competitions, though if she is still recovering from her injury that may be for the best..
    I thought it was a year out if you are a citizen from another country... Hasn't it been awhile since Polina's competed internationally?

vCash
    Shelepen's last international was Golden Spin of Zagreb, December 13-15, 2012: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011897.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Shelepen's last international was Golden Spin of Zagreb, December 13-15, 2012: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011897.htm
    Wait, what's the Soldatova Rule again? 1 year? 2 years?

Still, unless some Israeli skater could go to Nebelhorn to earn a spot for Israel for Sochi, it's pointless either way (as far as Sochi goes).

vCash
    That is so random about Shelepen...Israel? Is she even Jewish and/or have ancestors from there?
    I have no idea, but Israeli citizenship is pretty much automatic if you have one Jewish grandparent, regardless of whether you yourself are Jewish. Even now, after two or three decades of heavy emigration, there are many people still left in the Former U.S.S.R. who have or had one Jewish grandparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Wait, what's the Soldatova Rule again? 1 year? 2 years?

Still, unless some Israeli skater could go to Nebelhorn to earn a spot for Israel for Sochi, it's pointless either way (as far as Sochi goes).
    One year, but it's measured from the start of the season (July 1), so she can't compete internationally until the start of the 2014-15 season. She is certainly young enough and talented enough for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games to be a realistic goal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    One year, but it's measured from the start of the season (July 1), so she can't compete internationally until the start of the 2014-15 season. She is certainly young enough and talented enough for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games to be a realistic goal.
    Wasn't Tatiana allowed to skate at Worlds, after competiting at the Olympics or has the concept of year changed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Wasn't Tatiana allowed to skate at Worlds, after competiting at the Olympics or has the concept of year changed?
    IIRC, the rule was, in fact, changed shortly after Tatiana Volosozhar began competing for Russia. It did use to be one year from the date of the last international competition.

To see the current version of Rule 109, point your browser here: http://www5.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page...-0-file,00.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Kovtun earned 551 at Euros: the max he could have won for JWC is 500.

Had he skated JWC, none of his scores would have counted for WTT for Russia, because the points earned by the WC entry would have been used, then the top Euros score(s) beforeany JWC points are considered. Unless the Russian Man at WC missed the FS and the Russian Euros Men had zero or one make the FS, Kovtun's junior points wouldn't have been used, and he wouldn't have been eligible for WTT, at least according the rules.
    Thanks very much for your explanation.

vCash
    Shelepen is Jewish ????

this was going to happen though
    she had no chance really skating in Russia, her career was pretty much almost done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Shelepen is Jewish ????

this was going to happen though
    she had no chance really skating in Russia, her career was pretty much almost done
    Shelepen said on her formspring that she was baptized, so no, she is not Jewish, at least not entirely, she is Christian in some percentage. She probably has some Jewish ancestors farther back though.

vCash
    Shelepen said on her formspring that she was baptized, so no, she is not Jewish, at least not entirely, she is Christian in some percentage. She probably has some Jewish ancestors farther back though.
    at least she can now be a multiple Jewish National Champion
    she probably wont be at 2014 Sochi ( 1 year sit out ? ) but maybe 2018

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Rule 109 2c states that for Pairs and Ice Dance couples, the waiting period is 12 months from the date of the last competition for the old member. That applied to Volosozhar then and still applies now.

For singles, the waiting periods, citizen or resident, are:
    For international competitions (not championships), they cannot have skated for another member within 12 months of July 1 of the season in either international competitions or championships. (109 2bii)
    For championships, the cannot have skater for another member within 18 months of July 1 of the season in either international competitions or championships. (109 2biii).

The ISU can make an exception to any waiting periods, and if they do, the skater does not apply to the new member's quotas. Recently someone asked if the exception was every granted, but I think the answer is no, unless someone can remember an event where there was a skater from "ISU."

Shelepen's last international competition was Golden Spin of Zagreb; the Ladies FS took place on 15 December 2012. Her last championships was 2012 Junior Worlds; the Ladies FS took place on 3 March 2012. She'll be eligible to skate for Israel in both international competition and championships in 2014-15, assuming she's released by Russia, if she needs a release as a citizen of Israel. (Volosozhar needed a release from Ukraine, even though she got Russian citizenship.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    WC and JW medalists meet with Russian Minister of Sports, video (in Russian): http://www.rsport.ru/video/20130322/652703678.html

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Some of these SB rankings could go up after WTT, but all of the WTT participants are either Top 12 at Worlds, guaranteed two GP's for next year, or Top 24 SB now and are guaranteed one. Looking at potential GP spots for next year -- I have no idea if any of the age-eligible juniors will go senior -- and not including duplicates on multiple lists:

Top 12 Worlds:
    Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larianov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinyk/Katsapalov, Riazanova/Tkachenko, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva

Top 24 SB:
    Stolbova/Klimov, Martiusheva/Rogonov, Vigalova/Zakroev (24, with no one on the Pairs list for WTT who can surpass them), Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Radionova (not age eligible), Liptnitskaia, Pogorilaya, Kovtun, Menshov

Top 24 WS (unofficial, adjusted for end of season, not including Top 24 SB):
    Leonova, Korobeynikova

vCash
    so i have hope to see shelepen in some major competitions in upcoming years, yeah !

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast