View Poll Results: Who will be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alissa Czisny

21 9.59%
  • Rachael Flatt

5 2.28%
  • Christina Gao

104 47.49%
  • Courtney Hicks

12 5.48%
  • Mirai Nagasu

40 18.26%
  • Agnes Zawadzki

29 13.24%
  • Caroline Zhang

3 1.37%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 2.28%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Has any coach ever come out and said Mirai is lazy or has a poor work ethic? I don't recall this.

I do recall hearing coaches say she has trouble 'putting blinders on' in practice.

I bet she works very hard physically, but spends a lot of time emotionally beating up on herself to the point her practices get unproductive. I'm guessing this after listening to how she discusses herself in interviews. This is different from someone who won't show up or won't try.

So think twice before you label someone as having poor work ethic.
    I'd like to thank you Coco for this post.

It is easy for us as anonymous forum posters to act like we know everything is going on in these skater's lives but in reality we don't know half of it. In general, we are to quick to generalize and put things in context.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Has any coach ever come out and said Mirai is lazy or has a poor work ethic? I don't recall this.

I do recall hearing coaches say she has trouble 'putting blinders on' in practice.

I bet she works very hard physically, but spends a lot of time emotionally beating up on herself to the point her practices get unproductive. I'm guessing this after listening to how she discusses herself in interviews. This is different from someone who won't show up or won't try.

So think twice before you label someone as having poor work ethic.
    Get off your high horse, please.

Mirai had described herself as "talented but lazy" in the past. It has been discussed here in detail and ad nauseum.

"Everything was so easy for me," she said, eating lunch during the break between recent late morning and early afternoon practices at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo. "I started to forget about working hard. I expected myself to be able to do it without practicing."
    I have no reason not to take this at face value, do you? This, taken with Frank's comments and her lack of preparedness for Nationals tells the tale. If it looks like a duck...It's unfortunate but it is what it is.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 03-28-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Get off your high horse, please.

Mirai had described herself as "talented but lazy" in the past. ......

This, taken with Frank's comments and her lack of preparedness for Nationals tells the tale. .

Yes, but some people who would describe themselves as "talented but lazy" are actually self-deprecating, perfectionists.

(and you might have to take Frank's comments in stride. This is the same man who "fired" Timothy Goebel on the way to the airport for an important competition, (according to Goebel, and what would he have to gain by lying about this?) )

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That's unnecessarily complicating things. If she were as hardworking as you say, plus her talent, where are the results? We have evidence from the coach and the skater herself but you choose to neglect it for some reason. Most importantly, we see what goes on in competition. We see her not giving it her all. Occam's razor works really well for me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Given her immense talent and once held potential, and that she is going to retire with a lesser career than Rachel Flatt, I would say it is safe to say Nagasu did not work as hard and put as much into herself as she could have, just as the rumours and stories from highly credible sources suggest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's complicating things. If she were as hardworking as you say, plus her talent, where are the results?
    Bingo!

If there is one moment Nagasu would love to redo I bet though it is her 2010 Worlds LP. The judges were actually ready and willing to give her that World title over Asada and Kim (albeit a faltering and very bad Kim). She blew that in a big way, even managed to drop enough to cost the U.S their 3rd spot to boot (her own sport for next year it turned out), and it seems motivation or something else was lost to her from that day forward. From reports it seems she might have started working harder again the last couple months but it might be too little, too late, and she needs to focus that supposed new work ethic on the right things (first and foremost her jump technique and full rotations on all jumps).

vCash
    also, how old was Mirai when she said the quote you are repeating about being "talented, but lazy"? Early teens, if that? Imagine the things you said at that age? Imagine people quoting them for years!!

vCash
    Has anyone here thought about this year's Junior champ, Polina Edmunds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    Has anyone here thought about this year's Junior champ, Polina Edmunds?
    Edmunds was mentioned in this thread starting with post #102 and Cyn posted links to her Junior programs at Nationals and gave her opinion in post #114. Let's see how she fares in her (ETA: long-awaited! ) junior international debut in Italy next week.

Re. Nagasu: Despite her 11th place FS and 7th place overall finish at Nationals, she ended up less than 6 points away from Zawadzki, the 3rd place finisher. IF she is willing to put in the work, both on and off the ice, I think she can still contend for the third spot. It doesn't much matter what she says publicly at this point (or what she has said in the past), it's what she does in the coming season, obviously, that will determine her fate.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-28-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Is Edmunds old enough? I thought she was 14.

vCash
    Edmunds turns 15 in May (so will be old enough for 2014 4CC/Worlds/Olympics) and is focused on making her JGP debut this fall.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think Mirai, Agnes and Christina are realistic contenders for the third spot. All three have a lot to prove to the judges and a lot of work to do. I don't have a strong preference as to who gets the third spot--it will be determined by who wants it the most. If Mirai can start rotating her jumps/Agnes becomes more consistent/Christina takes care of the same+works on her carriage, they all have a great chance. While Christina is not my favorite of these three, my bet is on her.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Edmunds turns 15 in May (so will be old enough for 2014 4CC/Worlds/Olympics) and is focused on making her JGP debut this fall.
    Would be nice to have a dark horse emerge! Mix things up a little. She is at the traditional age to medal at the Olympics!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Would be nice to have a dark horse emerge!
    Hmmm, have you tired of Courtney Hicks and Angela Wang already?! Just kidding! The more "dark horses" the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Hmmm, have you tired of Courtney Hicks and Angela Wang already?! Just kidding! The more "dark horses" the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.
    No, absolutely not tired of Hicks and Wang at all!!!! They are both great athletes.

Polina is just so fresh and new to the scene! Yes, the more dark horses the merrier, for sure..................

vCash
    While i have always like Mirai's skating and personality i kind of want that 3rd spot to go to one of the upcoming skaters. Whether it's Hicks, Wang or even Edmund's it would be a breath of fresh air if it was one of those girls and not someone like Alissa, Mirai or even Gao or Agnes.

vCash
    I love Edmunds, she has so much potential. Already a 14 she has good artistry and great speed! She reminds me of Carolina Kostner circa 2003. Happy, all legs, delicate style, lots of speed, hard 3-3s, and very smiley and cute. I'd love to see her in the mix for an Olympic spot, though realistically 2018 will more likely be her time to shine.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678