View Poll Results: Who will be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alissa Czisny

21 9.59%
  • Rachael Flatt

5 2.28%
  • Christina Gao

104 47.49%
  • Courtney Hicks

12 5.48%
  • Mirai Nagasu

40 18.26%
  • Agnes Zawadzki

29 13.24%
  • Caroline Zhang

3 1.37%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 2.28%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    I agree Mirai has to completely strip her technique done if she is to conquer her problem with URs. She cant afford a single mistake in most of her competitions next year, especialy Nationals, if she has Sochi aspirations. That is risky to try and do in just one year though. I dont envy her, she is in a tough spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^Is Frank Carroll coaching a top Senior lady at this time?
    Polina Edmunds works with him on Sundays in Palm Springs, she will skate as a senior domestically next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Polina Edmunds works with him on Sundays in Palm Springs, she will skate as a senior domestically next season.

What country does she compete for?

vCash
    2013 U.S. junior champ Polina Edmunds (who has a Russian mother) will make her junior international debut for the USA at Gardena Spring Trophy in early April. Edmunds' primary coach is David Glynn and she trains in San Jose, CA.

ETA that there are 2 links to recent photos of Edmunds posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3882942
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope for Christina Gao or Samantha Cesario. Mirai needs to slim down. It's so odd that Asian-Americans generally have bigger frame than people from their original countries. Somehow I think Mirai should train in Japan for a while to learn their way of doing things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think some are voting with their hearts more than their head, but that is ok, lol! Wow and 4 votes for Rachael Flatt as well, oh my!
    Judy, we all think with our hearts. I think if we wanted to think with our heads we would all be on a chess discussion board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    I think Mirai should train in Japan for a while to learn their way of doing things.
    Agree. I have been thinking for the last year it would help her training part time in Japan in that competitive environment.

vCash
    . Mirai needs to slim down. It's so odd that Asian-Americans generally have bigger frame than people from their original countries. Somehow I think Mirai should train in Japan for a while to learn their way of doing things.
    Oy, ....What makes you the expert on skater's optimal weight?

vCash
    i know it's impossible but i really want caroline

i feel so badly for her i loved both her performances at the last 2 nationals

Mirai needs to slim down. It's so odd that Asian-Americans generally have bigger frame than people from their original countries. Somehow I think Mirai should train in Japan for a while to learn their way of doing things.
    the hell. if someone said this to me in person i'd have the urge to spit in their face. the statement about asian-americans is just stupid. err why do you think herp derp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFe1MqAbXbo
    ^ and how is this anywhere near fat
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-26-2013 at 01:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    I love Mirai, and would love to see her go. If she is on, and she gets her edge issues sorted out, she is one of the only ones that has a chance to medal so if she skates well next year and they are thinking medals, Mirai, on a great day, could potentially medal. I don't see Agnes or Gao or Ashley being able to medal, even if they skate great.
    Mirai has the highest standing against the competitors who will be in the competition at the Olympics - 4th place in a competition with both Mao and Yuna, and she won the short program against Yuna. If she skated to 2010 levels and improves from that, she could be a real surprise. Ashely finished 4th at worlds too but it was against a Mao who just lost her mother as well as no Yuna. Ashley has not shown us she can beat the top 3 if they skate great.
    I don't really see how Mirai is the only one who has a shot to medal out of the four mentioned. It's doubtful with Agnes and Christina since they've never been to Worlds. But Ashley has proven that she can take on some of the bigger competition; maybe not Yuna, but she's beaten Mao and the Russian girls. Carolina is exquisite, but she's had meltdowns before, including her last two Olympics. Ashley's had a respectable top five finish at Worlds two years in a row now. Mirai on the other hand hasn't even had a top five finish at her own nationals in the last two years. Yes, her Olympic performance was great, but she hasn't matched it since. Her SP win at Worlds was also awesome, and she did beat Yuna, but that was easily one of Yuna's worst skates in years. And if you're going by that logic, Rachael Flatt would also have a chance since she beat Yuna in the LP earlier that season. Overall, Mirai hasn't shown that she can beat the top three any more than Ashley can.

I'd love to see a top-notch Mirai at the Olympics, and I wouldn't completely count her out on making the team, but I think many people would be very surprised if she got a medal even with a great skate and would not consider her the most likely of the US ladies to get one. Several of the US ladies have an outside shot at the podium, but I don't think anyone at this time is thought of as having a fantastic chance, even with a great skate.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What country does she compete for?
    The US . She won the Junior Ladies this year in Omaha, placing first in both the SP and FS:

Polina Edmunds - Short Program - Nationals

Polina Edmunds - Free Skate - Nationals

With this being her first season competing domestically as a Senior, it's doubtful she'd be in the running for an Olympic berth for Sochi, but stranger things have happened . I think this gal has a great future, if not next year, then definitely in the run up to 2018. If we're talking about long shots, though, I'd much rather see her on the team than the likes of Hicks, Miller, or Wang. As much as I like Samantha Cesario, I don't think she stands a chance of getting that third spot. Siraj, with her tiny jumps, won't be in the running, no matter how wonderful her artistry may be.

As for Gao and Zawadski, they're on the bubble. Agnes just can't seem to get it together and put two stellar programs together at a major competition, and as for Gao, there's a lot to like about her, but IMO at least, there's something lacking that prevents me from being able to instill confidence in ability to compete with the big guns.

I have a feeling that, barring some kind of miracle, Mirai and Alissa are done in the eyes of the USFS .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    With this being her first season competing domestically as a Senior, it's doubtful she'd be in the running for an Olympic berth for Sochi, but stranger things have happened . I think this gal has a great future, if not next year, then definitely in the run up to 2018.
    I don't think she could qualify for Sochi as she'll only be 15. But I could definitely see her making a run at 2018, and hope she does. Lovely programs and it's good that she's trying for 3/3 jumps in both the short and long. Good spins and footwork as well.

As for Gao and Zawadski, they're on the bubble. Agnes just can't seem to get it together and put two stellar programs together at a major competition, and as for Gao, there's a lot to like about her, but IMO at least, there's something lacking that prevents me from being able to instill confidence in ability to compete with the big guns.

I have a feeling that, barring some kind of miracle, Mirai and Alissa are done in the eyes of the USFS .
    Like I said earlier, Mirai is going to have to have a miracle season to even be considered for the third spot. The sad thing is that I really believe the judges want her to do well and would score her accordingly, but her underrotation issues would have to be completely resolved. And I mean completely.

I like Christina Gao and of the remaining ladies would like to see her get the last spot, but I can understand why people might not be so enamored of her. Last season was a breakout for her, but can she do it again? Can she maintain consistancy? What kind of improvements will she make over the spring and summer? Unlike Agnes, she does seem to be able to put together clean short and long programs in the same competition, but can she do it for every competition? Next season is going to be very, very interesting.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post

the hell. if someone said this to me in person i'd have the urge to spit in their face. the statement about asian-americans is just stupid. err why do you think herp derp.

Take a chill pill. Mirai while certainly not fat, is not nearly as toned as other elite skaters. That was obvious to me when I attended the 2012 Nationals and practices.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Like I said earlier, Mirai is going to have to have a miracle season to even be considered for the third spot. The sad thing is that I really believe the judges want her to do well and would score her accordingly, but her underrotation issues would have to be completely resolved. And I mean completely.
    I agree completely about Mirai needing to completely decimate her underrotation issues -- with her reputation of being a skater who underrotates her jumps, she will never be a skater who gets the benefit of the doubt on a landing that is even slightly questionable, so she needs to make damn sure she gets a full rotation on all her jumps in order to stand a chance.

She's also developed a reputation of being inconsistent when it comes to training and being committed to the work it will take to be in full fighting form. This past season, it seemed like there were glimpses of that here and there, but there were also several times when she was competing that she looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there. There were a couple of times during her SP, which was upbeat and seemed like it was a great match for her personality, in which she was lacking the snap and sauciness the music and choreography required, which was a disappointment to watch .

I'd like nothing more than to see her get it together and have things fall into place, but it's going to be an uphill battle -- not just against her competition (which is deep, to put it mildly), but also TPTB at USFS, and at this point, I'm not sure which one is more daunting.

vCash
    As far as I am concerned, all 3 spots are completely wide open. It would be different if there was an American ladies' medal contender, but that is hardly the case.

I am proud of Gracie and Ashley earning 3 spots for the USA but none of those spots is guaranteed to either one. Neither has been consistent enough or had such breakout performances the she would be a lock. The USFSA isn't that in love with either one. Watching Jeremy Abbott lose his all but guaranteed spot at World's was proof enough for me to believe that.

As for Mirai, I think that if she does what she is capable of and gets her head out of her ass and commits to the season her chances are actually good. The USFSA will get behind her if and only if she gives them a reason to.

Wang and Hicks should be planning for 2018. They aren't ready for Socio and won't be. I will be surprised if Alissa sticks around. Her spirit is strong but her body is broken. I put Christina's chances ahead of Agnes because she is artistically superior and more consistent. Agnes has great jumps but if they fail her she has nothing else.

Poor Caroline was left behind long ago. Putting Rachael up there was just mean.

I wish all of them the very best of luck.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    i know it's impossible but i really want caroline

i feel so badly for her i loved both her performances at the last 2 nationals

You have obviously never had a Russian skating coach

I dont think anyone said the word fat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    At NHK, where she won silver, she received 4 URs in the FS.
    And at NHK, despite some URs, Mirai still beat competitor Agnes by two places and 16 points!

vCash
    I don't think USFS is holding down Mirai as much as some poeple assert. She was 3rd in the SP at US Nats after all. They DO want to send a lady with very clean jumps, and unfortunately that's not Mirai, the difference is quite obvious between her and Gracie/Ashley. I think she was on track all last season with the coaching change, had she been healthy at US Nats she would have been a contender, I hope she does not lose sight of that.

I do think Agnes is grossly held up, she has been anywhere near a clean LP in ages, and with her gawkiness and poor packaging, she's nobody's Patrick Chan.
    Last edited by FunnyBut; 03-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Take a chill pill. Mirai while certainly not fat, is not nearly as toned as other elite skaters. That was obvious to me when I attended the 2012 Nationals and practices.
    maybe she could be more toned, maybe not. maybe her body is changing.
    it isn't simply about her being fat or thin, that whole statement about asian americans is silly

for one, asian-americans are a diverse group which include east asians, southeast asians, south asians. some come from developing countries, which means the fact that they're bigger/taller in the US is often remarked upon as a positive quality. others come from developed countries like japan - wherein the poster making a comment about asian-americans being bigger is obviously making a thinly veiled reference to american obesity.

secondly, although we know mirai has dual citizenship until she is 22, she was born and raised in america. why should she be compared to japanese in japan? the fact is she isn't. she's even said that her japanese language skills "aren't the best". it's one thing to make a comment like "she isn't as fit as she can be" vs that original statement which basically sounds like "she's lazy, she should go back to her native country (err..the US?) and learn how they work cos all the japanese girls are stick thin and more hard working".
    obviously mirai has dual citizenship right now, and i'm sure she embraces her japanese heritage/culture, but like most asian-americans growing up in the US, you can't help but be primarily american culturally simply based on your surroundings. look at how mirai talks and acts, like a typical american girl. would anyone tell rachael flatt to go to japan and "learn how they do things"? it's as if mirai is less american
    she should only be compared to other asian/japanese-americans
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-27-2013 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    As far as I am concerned, all 3 spots are completely wide open. It would be different if there was an American ladies' medal contender, but that is hardly the case.

I am proud of Gracie and Ashley earning 3 spots for the USA but none of those spots is guaranteed to either one. Neither has been consistent enough or had such breakout performances the she would be a lock. The USFSA isn't that in love with either one. Watching Jeremy Abbott lose his all but guaranteed spot at World's was proof enough for me to believe that.

hmmm...right now it seems that Gracie could go out and swim on the ice at next year's Nationals and still would place top three.....USFS has been heavily pushing for her since they decided to send her to WTT last year....don't see them sending any newbie ladies to WTT this year, right?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast