View Poll Results: Who will be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alissa Czisny

21 9.59%
  • Rachael Flatt

5 2.28%
  • Christina Gao

104 47.49%
  • Courtney Hicks

12 5.48%
  • Mirai Nagasu

40 18.26%
  • Agnes Zawadzki

29 13.24%
  • Caroline Zhang

3 1.37%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 2.28%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    and didn't Flatt retired ?
    other than maybe her name was put in for a joke
    Flatt hasn't formally retired yet, so I placed her on the poll in case she decides to make a comeback. I realize her chances of making the Olympic team are a longshot, but stranger things have happened.

vCash
    Gao is the most consistent, but Zawadzki has been getting big marks at Nationals the past two seasons. I think if she skates similar to how she did this year, she's on the team.

Hicks could spoil the party, though. Her jumps are huge, and I can see her having an Emily Hughes moment and squeaking her way on to the team.

Sentimentally, I hope it's Nagasu. She's had a rough few years, and it would be amazing to see her back in the mix.

vCash
    I hope it's GAO. I have a soft spot for her. I think she is a beautiful skater. After all those 5th places, it's time for her to step up on the podium. She got tons of experience this year, which will bold well for the all important Olympic year.

I hope it's not Agnes. I don't like her skating, and I don't really want to watch her at the olympics. I would rather watch Czisny fall 5 times.

I don't think the us judges will send someone with no experience unless the experienced girls skate really bad.

I like Wang and Miller but I think the judges will hold them down for the next Olympic cycle.

Nagasu, Zhang, I can't see it happening for them unless they make major changes with the jumps in the off season.

I actually do think the judges would take a chance on Czisny. She is the American version of kostner. I think if Czisny can skate injury free she will be at nationals.
    Last edited by Flying Camel; 03-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    I'm not even sure USA 1 and 2 are a lock, so can't even take a guess at #3.

vCash
    I am thinking Gao, Hicks or Wang.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Gao is taking a year off from Harvard, right? That would be good as she has tons of work to do.
    Yes, starting this semester.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    I would rather watch Czisny fall 5 times.
    Careful what you wish for!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    I'm not even sure USA 1 and 2 are a lock, so can't even take a guess at #3.
    I agree they are not a lock, however, having 'earned back' the spot- and the first pair to do it after many years of trying, I expect them to be held up if they have even remotely good GP seasons and okay nationals. Hopefully they'll have a good nationals and earn it fair though.

I'd love to see Mirai at the Olympics with the fire she had last time.

(And for them to give out a pewter medal at the Olympics since the Gold medal is clearly taken- in dance they might need to hand out pewter and tungsten since the first two medals are gone.)

vCash
    I would be happy if it were Mirai or Christina.

vCash
    I have a hunch that if Alissa returns, she will enter nationals with no pressure and skate a clean short. Then the US judges will overmark her again so that no matters what happens in the long, she gets the 3rd spot as a lovely retirement gift. I don't think USFS will ever be done with her. For some reason, they love her.

vCash
    After seeing both Wagner and Gold in person last night I think Gold is the only one with a lock on an Olympic spot. Wagner needs to get a triple- triple.

vCash
    Gold can still mess up big time next year in both SP and LP. Many National Champions have succumbed to the pressures at the Olympic trial.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Jump View Post
    After seeing both Wagner and Gold in person last night I think Gold is the only one with a lock on an Olympic spot. Wagner needs to get a triple- triple.
    She needs a triple-triple to stay ahead of the other Americans (apart from maybe Gold). Please. Almost none of the Americans have a solid triple-triple either and anyone who knocked Wagner and Gold off would have to do more than they do.

vCash
    Does anyone even bother to live in the present anymore? I mean, it's just one day after the completion of Worlds, and folks are already voting on who's going to be the 3rd U.S. woman at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I have a hunch that if Alissa returns, she will enter nationals with no pressure and skate a clean short. Then the US judges will overmark her again so that no matters what happens in the long, she gets the 3rd spot as a lovely retirement gift. I don't think USFS will ever be done with her. For some reason, they love her.
    I was thinking the same thing. If she manages to land a couple of jumps, she'll be on the team no matter what.

I think USFS order of preference is something like this:
    Czisny
    Zawadski
    [Insert 15-20 upstart teens]
    Kwan
    Cohen
    Kerrigan
    Nagasu
    Gao
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Does anyone even bother to live in the present anymore? I mean, it's just one day after the completion of Worlds, and folks are already voting on who's going to be the 3rd U.S. woman at the Olympics.
    If not the present, at least consider the past.

Thinking about 2009 as I remember it...

Flatt was coming off a 5th place finish at Worlds and was considered a lock for that 2010 Olympic team. Alissa had done her usual at Worlds and Zhang was being wuzrobbed for one of the Worlds spots. She had placed 3rd at Nationals, 4th at 4CC's and 3rd at the WTT. For sure she was going to be a contender. Nagasu was going through growing pains and being her usual wonderful/frustrating self.

Fast forward to January and it was Wagner going in as a favorite alongside Flatt for the Olympic team having qualified for the GPF. A few days later, it was Nagasu and Flatt who came out on top. Zhang ending up in 11th place overall.

Which just goes to show how things can change...

Blergh
    vCash
    I would wait to see how the skaters look at the GP series before I can even begin making my prediction. There are valid arguments to be made for a slew of ladies. Heck, I don't even think Wagner and Gold are safe. If they skate as they had this season, then I think they are, but a lot of things can happen and we'll see who the international judges appreciate the most.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Maybe it's because before she crashed and burned at Worlds 2012 (in a remarkable fashion), Czisny has had the highest international scores of all the American ladies since Vancouver apart from Wagner and Gold, the latter very recently at Worlds. People like to bash Czisny for her jumping deficiencies and inconsistency, but you can't deny she had been scoring very well before Worlds 2012. If she recovers from her undiagnosed injury where she skates at the same level she did in the 2010-2011 season and the rest of the American ladies continue to be lackluster internationally (apart from Wagner and Gold), then I don't see why she shouldn't be in consideration with the rest of the pack.

Of course, I am not blind to the fact that many of the other ladies may have higher potential due to being younger and maybe better ability to land 3/3s. Heck, I'm sure most of them have better jump technique as well, but for some reason, the Czisny scored pretty high despite having lesser quality jumps.

vCash
    Yes, anything can happen and usually does. Re those listed, I'm rooting for Christina Gao, although most certainly Hicks and Zawadski are in the running, as would be a healthy Alissa. All three ladies who make the Olympic team will have to earn their spots. Kudos to Ashley and Gracie for surviving the pressure cooker in style and bringing back a third spot for U.S. ladies.

vCash
    At this point (way way early), it's Gao.

But, Zawadzki always seems to finish 3rd at Nationals and since the 3rd spot takes the pressure off, the USFSA's love for Zawadzki has even less of a reason now to diminish.

I wonder if Nagasu will ever get it together and she'd be considered by judges at Nationals.

Interestingly, and contrary to some posters, I think Czisny is very much in the mix. What I saw of her pre-nationals Milwaukee LP before the injurious fall showed a skater with a lot of attack and determination. This will also be undoubtedly her last season coming up.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast