Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Mao is not slow but I always got her speed is just average, and when you're competing against the likes of Kim and Kostner, well, average speed is going to seem SLOW. And other girls are fast skaters too, like Kanako, Gracie, even Ashley skates pretty fast. Mao can pick up the pace when her program calls for it but I don't get the sense that she is flying across the ice like some of the other ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Mao is not slow but I always got her speed is just average, and when you're competing against the likes of Kim and Kostner, well, average speed is going to seem SLOW. And other girls are fast skaters too, like Kanako, Gracie, even Ashley skates pretty fast. Mao can pick up the pace when her program calls for it but I don't get the sense that she is flying across the ice like some of the other ladies.
    exactly, other top girls are so fast that Mao looks really slow to me. I noticed that Gracie is pretty fast too. Isn't that why Mao's PCS weren't as high as Kostner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think she will have to debut another program by Japanese Nationals, but if she skates in the GPs it would be interesting to see Swan Lake at least one more time.
    Well she should be skating it again at WTT.

vCash
    I think in many ways this season for Mao was about getting her motivation back. Her mother died last year, and it is not only the ongoing grief, but like most skaters, her mother was an irreplaceable part of her career. She had to compete this season more as a woman on her own. Some who know her thought she might not go on as before, but she has grown. She was more beautiful and poised this season in my opinion.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I wouldn't consider Ashley a pretty fast skater, but she's alright. I think speed is only good when there is a sense of control. That's why I only started to like Kostner's skating recently since she finally seemed to control her speed. Some of the younger girls have great speed but there is a lack of control. Sometimes, especially when there are mistakes, it just seems rushed and sloppy to me.
    As for Mao, someone who watched the ladies competition live said what Mao really needs to work on is the speed going into her jumps, which is understandable since she isn't totally confident in them yet. And I did sense she was always more cautious in the first half of the program this season, when she had to complete most of her big jumping passes.
    Last edited by miki88; 03-19-2013 at 12:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Are your comments based on seeing her live? I could accept the words "really slow" if you wanted to critique Caroline Zhang, but I do not believe that Mao is slow. The final two sequences in her FS are fast. Working next year to improve the speed out of her jumps would be beneficial to her scores. I agree with that, but she demonstrates speed relative to the quality and the difficulty of what she does. She's not noticeably lacking speed, at least not on television.
    Gonna have to agree with you. Mao actually looked faster to me on TV at worlds than ever.

She is my favorite but i like and respect Yu Na. What both of these ladies have done is just awe-inspiring. Mao threw triple axel in the short program like nobodys business. Her programs were just gorgeous. She brought back the flip/loop combination and has reinvented herself. Mao 2 years ago when she just switched to MR.Sato looking under weight. Mao last year who lost her mother... those Mao's are like the Mao's of the past. This years Mao was glorious. BTW. way to go Lori/Tat for giving Mao lighter fun programs that she clearly loves to skate too.

I do hope she wins in Sochi next year but it's really Yu Na's game. If Mao can fix her UR's and skate cleanly however, i do believe that the two are on equal playing fields. It will come down to taste if they both skate their best IMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12