Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Chairman Mao Returns!

Congratulations to Mao Asada for being back on the podium at worlds.
    After being written off by so many the past two years, she is back!

With her pointed toes and exquisite lines she is the chairman of our hearts

vCash
    I think when you look at what she has done this season, it's pretty amazing. Her programs are basically the best she has ever done in terms of beautiful composition and performing for the audience. This is really impressive because she moves like an angel, and her positions are much above her rivals. After two--almost 2 and a half--seasons of people saying she was done with her jumps, she is throwing a full arsenal that nobody thought she would or could. Her 3A is important considering no other lady can do it at all!

She was not just competitively fired, but she looked joyful, and she stayed in the moment -- even after a freak popped 3loop (how often has Mao Asada popped a 3L in competition?) I think she is enjoying performing, and I hope she can find the fun and the enjoyment for next season so we can continue to enjoy her programs at this level.

Why isn't there an FSU Mao emoticon?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    Yay go Mao. Some difficulties still to face. Getting that Triple Axel more consistent and stop the underrotations. Also she can't afford to lose any levels on her spins. She is getting rewarded with her steps and spins but needs to keep the levels up. Kim is going to be favoured when it comes to PCs but I do believe the judges will give her higher PCS if she skates clean programs.

More importantly 2011-2014 is essentially a journey. Shes faced the toughest times where nothing was going right now she has one more season to keep that momentum going for Sochi.

I'd love her to win Gold in Sochi but lets be honest that is going to be a real struggle. But if she could simply do a short and long in Sochi that is clean without underrotations and two footed skating then I'd be happy and I think she would be too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    But if she could simply do a short and long in Sochi that is clean without underrotations and two footed skating then I'd be happy and I think she would be too.
    If she can do a clean short and long, she would win the gold medal with a new world record, me thinks.

There's still lots of things that she needs to work on, but she's really made huge strides this season. I hope she'll manage to stay healthy and go up that final flight of stairs to the next level in time for Sochi.

vCash
    I hope Mao can work on her speed off season. It's just not exciting when someone is skating so cautiously and slowly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I hope Mao can work on her speed off season. It's just not exciting when someone is skating so cautiously and slowly.

I thought her speed was fine. She definitely gained speed in the latter part of her free skate. I thought she maintained her speed well throughout her choreographic sequence at the end, better than she has all season.

vCash
    I am sorry but she is really slow.

vCash
    I'm super happy to see Mao on the podium again at worlds. Her programs this season were both beautiful and she skates like an artist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I am sorry but she is really slow.
    Are your comments based on seeing her live? I could accept the words "really slow" if you wanted to critique Caroline Zhang, but I do not believe that Mao is slow. The final two sequences in her FS are fast. Working next year to improve the speed out of her jumps would be beneficial to her scores. I agree with that, but she demonstrates speed relative to the quality and the difficulty of what she does. She's not noticeably lacking speed, at least not on television.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-18-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I was happy to see the 3A but I really liked her LP step sequence.

vCash
    A Mao cheer thread! Nice! Mao has been around so long now that it's easy to forget how many ups and downs she has been through. I wish she had skated a better SP. She would have the silver. At least she is going in the right direction. At this point I am not going to mention the OGM for her- Yu na looks unbeatable-I just want to see Mao skate two clean performances at the 2014 Olympics.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-18-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I would be so happy to see two clean programs as well . . . both for her and, selfishly, for myself. I love watching good skating

vCash
    IMO Mao needs the 3A to have any chance of beating Yu na, and even Carolina, since she does not have a correct lutz, and is no longer doing a 3-3 combo. I don't want to start the 3A-discussion again, but obviously Mao loves doing it, so she should do it. I wish the 3A counted for more, in the ladies event.

vCash
    I am a fan of her Swan Lake and would love it if she could use it again next seasons - she didn't exactly do it justice yet. There is still so much joy she could emote in this program, especially towards the end.

With that said, she really needs to fix the flip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IMO Mao needs the 3A to have any chance of beating Yu na, and even Carolina, since she does not have a correct lutz, and is no longer doing a 3-3 combo. I don't want to start the 3A-discussion again, but obviously Mao loves doing it, so she should do it. I wish the 3A counted for more, in the ladies event.
    I agree about the 3 Axel!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am a fan of her Swan Lake and would love it if she could use it again next seasons - she didn't exactly do it justice yet. There is still so much joy she could emote in this program, especially towards the end.

With that said, she really needs to fix the flip.
    I think she will have to debut another program by Japanese Nationals, but if she skates in the GPs it would be interesting to see Swan Lake at least one more time.

vCash
    It really needs a "ladies bonus."

IMO Mao needs the 3A to have any chance of beating Yu na, and even Carolina, since she does not have a correct lutz, and is no longer doing a 3-3 combo.
    She had a 3F-3L planned for the FS, did she not? She hit it in the warm up.

vCash
    That triple-triple is always going to be problematic. Her flip technique has deteriorated and the loop is so easy to underrotate. Still her jump content seems to be going back to what she performed in 2006-2008. Then she went for DA-TT (2006-7), TF-TL (2006-2009) and TF-TT (2007-2008) with a solo Triple Axel.

I'm surprised she nor the coaches have considered a Triple Loop-Triple Loop combination in the short and long. The loop is a better jump for her than the Flip. Still I guess the risk is she underrotates both.

But she could do something like:

SP
    TA
    TL-TL
    TF

LP
    TA
    TL-TL
    DA-TT
    TZ
    TF-DL-DL
    --
    TS
    TF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post

Why isn't there an FSU Mao emoticon?
    Why not, indeed? Not to suggest that they should be deleted, but if FSU still has emoticons of skaters who've long retired, surely this still-competing and winning gem deserves one as well. Add my name to those who agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Are your comments based on seeing her live? I could accept the words "really slow" if you wanted to critique Caroline Zhang, but I do not believe that Mao is slow. The final two sequences in her FS are fast. Working next year to improve the speed out of her jumps would be beneficial to her scores. I agree with that, but she demonstrates speed relative to the quality and the difficulty of what she does. She's not noticeably lacking speed, at least not on television.
    I was talking about the first half of her program. She isn't doing much but cross overs yet she isn't going fast. I really want her to work on the speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast