Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Does Mervin switching countries affect his ability to get two GPs under the comeback skater rule? Either way, they'll almost certainly get SC if they progress reasonably well.
    I think that he's been out of competing internationally for Japan for long enough--I believe it's just 1 year that pairs/dance couples have to sit out before skating for another country.

Wishing them a great summer getting those pairs moves on track together!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I think that he's been out of competing internationally for Japan for long enough--I believe it's just 1 year that pairs/dance couples have to sit out before skating for another country.

Wishing them a great summer getting those pairs moves on track together!
    Yeah they should be ok for next season IIRC.

vCash
    So how does switching federations work for Mervin? Will Japanese fed release him?

vCash
    Good luck to Mervin and Natasha!

BTW, how tall is Nastasha? She looks taller than Narumi in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNS9nCWMbQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    So how does switching federations work for Mervin? Will Japanese fed release him?
    He's a Canadian citizen, and he will have sat out a complete season. I don't think he needs a release, but if he does, I think the Japanese Federation will be more than happy to give it to him, since they effectively "fired" him.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 03-18-2013 at 06:13 AM.

vCash
    Looks like Canada may have yet another strong pair.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    He's a Canadian citizen, and he will have sat out a complete season. I don't think he needs a release, but if he does, I think the Japanese Federation will be more than happy to give it to him, since they effectively "fired" him.
    Or, if they subsidized his training with Takahashi and made him into a pairs skater, the Japanese Federation might want to protect their investment in Takahashi by preventing Tran from using the training he got because of them to compete with here.

We've been around this on FSU many times. There's nothing anyone has been able to cite in the ISU Constitution or Regulations that addresses whether a citizen of a country can be held against his/her will if s/he's been skating for another Federation. The skater can apply for an exception, but that can only be applied for under Rule 109 after the release has been denied. Volosozhar, for example, was released by the Ukranian Federation to skate for Russia. It was not automatic once she was granted Russian citizenship.

If Tran is released, there's nothing to stop him from skating for Canada, because he's a citizen and as a Pairs skater, he will already have not skated for 12 months for Japan next season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Or, if they subsidized his training with Takahashi and made him into a pairs skater, the Japanese Federation might want to protect their investment in Takahashi by preventing Tran from using the training he got because of them to compete with her
    How much "protection" can the Japanese Federation possibly get? (Serious question, even if it doesn't sound like it.)

I don't really know much about either skater's new partner other than that Takahashi's partner is new to pairs and Tran's isn't. It has always been my impression, however, that Tran is a much stronger skater than Takahashi. Breaking up the pair wasn't Tran's idea, Canada already has two very strong pairs that they can send to the team competition at the Olympics, and Tran will eventually be able to skate for Canada no matter what the Japanese Federation wants to do about it. So how much of a benefit can Japan derive from keeping Tran out of competition, assuming they can do so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    She is 4' 10" according to her ISU bio. Although, Skate Canada has her listed at 4' 8". She is a few inches shorter than Hayleigh Bell (the Jr. Pairs gold medalist at nationals), who is listed as 5' 1" at both ISU and Skate Canada.

Natasha's eyes are about level with Hayleigh's mouth...
    http://icepalace.ca/DesktopModules/W...47cade7cbe.jpg

I suspect the Skate Canada site may be the most accurate, hence Natasha and Narumi are about the same height more-or-less. Narumi is listed as 4' 8" according to her ISU bio.
    I was at the Jr. Nationals with my sister-in-law, and we would sometimes referring to her as "little Natasha" . She was certainly the smallest of the single skaters.
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.

vCash
    He does need a release but I am sure that the Japanese federation won't cause any problems (or at least I hope so since it's Takahashi who dumped him and not the other way round).

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    If you had bothered to read this thread before asking your question, you would know the answer already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Her basic skating and speed need some work to catch up with him, but I wouldn't describe her as "not in his league" - she's got the same throws and jumps as Narumi has, with a lot more consistency on the jumps. And Natasha is a born performer - I'm expecting some great programs out of them. I really can't think of anyone in Canada who would be a better partner for him in terms of size and ability, so I'm extremely excited for this partnership!
    She has slightly poor jumping technique on sal, toe and especially axel. She doesn't look like she'll have the side-by-side jumps required by a champion unless she sorts that out. It's okay for an 85 pound girl but as she matures into a new body she will not be able to squeak those jumps out. I'm trying to be realistic and I promise I'm not a super pessimist! I just hope that it's resolved sooner rather than later.

Look at Vera Bazarova. Beautiful, beautiful pairs skater!! But her side-by-sides (although admittedly much worse than Natasha's) will hold that pair down from their true potential indefinitely. Such a shame.

As for her skating, she is no Narumi but with the right training she can improve lines, extension etc. Look at Meagan Duhamel. Trying to be more optimistic

vCash
    I am thrilled with this new pair. It is something I have hoped for. Looking forward to seeing them in Ottawa in Jan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    She has slightly poor jumping technique on sal, toe and especially axel. She doesn't look like she'll have the side-by-side jumps required by a champion unless she sorts that out. It's okay for an 85 pound girl but as she matures into a new body she will not be able to squeak those jumps out.
    As Natasha will be 18 in June, I think she's well past the ravages of the puberty bug. She's just an exceptionally petite woman, like Penny Coomes.

vCash
    Just a random question : had she split from Arcieri ? Or was the pair Purich/Arcieri broken so that she could skate with Tran ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Just a random question : had she split from Arcieri ? Or was the pair Purich/Arcieri broken so that she could skate with Tran ?
    The hearsay news of Purich/Arcieri's split and her tryout with Tran was posted on March 2nd here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3853458
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Mervin Tran and Natasha Purich to skate together

I watched her compete in Pairs at Jr Nationals in January (Silver medalists). She likely split with him afterwards to team with Tran.

vCash
    Arcieri is pretty small both in height and build. There just aren't enough tiny girls out there. Maybe he can take a step back and grab someone out of novice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    As Natasha will be 18 in June, I think she's well past the ravages of the puberty bug. She's just an exceptionally petite woman, like Penny Coomes.
    This. Natasha's been about the same size for the past three seasons and doesn't show any sign of growing. She's also fairly consistent on her triple toe and salchow, whatever the technique issues may be.

I think that they may look a little rough and mismatched together at first, but so did Duhamel/Radford and look how well that turned out.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    How much "protection" can the Japanese Federation possibly get? (Serious question, even if it doesn't sound like it.)...
    So how much of a benefit can Japan derive from keeping Tran out of competition, assuming they can do so?
    Tran and a new partner would go head-to-head with Takahashi/Kihara. T/K would have more automatic opportunities as Japan's lone entry, but if Tran's new partnership half as anointed as Gilles/Poirier, P/T should get some assignments as soon as he's released. If the Japanese Fed could keep him from getting international experience with his new partner for a season or two -- USFS held Piper Gilles for over two seasons from her last competition -- it would give T/K a head start.

The Japanese Fed also might want compensation for training him up, and I'm not sure Skate Canada pays for skaters' releases. As far as I know, they didn't try to mess with Tikhonov or Markuntsev, but these might be different times.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Arcieri is pretty small both in height and build. There just aren't enough tiny girls out there. Maybe he can take a step back and grab someone out of novice...
    Maybe he should talk to Brooklee Han. I admit I know nothing about pairing up pairs skaters, and she is from Australia, and she has no experience, BUT, as soon as I saw her at Worlds I thought "pairs!" I believe she is only 4'8".
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast