vCash

ISU's Dore talks Olympic team figure skating event, min. scores & injury timeout rule

David Dore conducted the annual ISU press conference at Worlds yesterday and covered a range of topics: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Finally, Dore addressed the ramifications of ISU Rule 551, which permits skaters to pause their programs for up to three minutes with no specified deduction. It reads, in part:

"If a competitor gets injured during the performance or another adverse condition related to him or his equipment (such as health problems or unexpected damage to his clothing or equipment) impedes his/their skating, the competitor must stop skating. If he does not stop, he will be ordered to do so by an acoustic signal of the Referee. ... the referee will allow an up to three minutes period for the competitor to resume skating from the point of interruption."
    Asked whether Rule 551 was working well, Dore replied, "No, no, no. We just don't have the right rule in place. The skaters have done nothing wrong. It's created considerable discussion in the ISU. Something will come out of this shortly."

While the ISU constitution dictates that a rule change must wait for the 2014 ISU Congress, held the summer after the Sochi Games, Dore said steps would be taken before that.

"We can make some modifications. The referee, in my opinion, can move faster to clean up the situation. My problem with it is everybody is looking at one another, saying, 'Who is doing this?' That will be clarified."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Does Tessa stopping to have her baby qualify as a "health problem"?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Well, at least he's honest about the crappy scheduling of the team event. The ISU wanted to do it at the end but the TV broadcasters said a big NO and in the end money rules the world. *sigh*

vCash
    Specifically US TV broadcasters who believe the ladiezzzzz event is the be-all and end-all of skating.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    But can Russia actually switch men between team and singles to get around having one man?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Does Tessa stopping to have her baby qualify as a "health problem"?
    I would say it does.

BTW, do you know when Meryl is expecting hers?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    But can Russia actually switch men between team and singles to get around having one man?
    As I understand it, and I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong, no, Russia (or any other nation) cannot do that. Russia has qualified one man, two ladies, three pairs and three dance, for Olympics and it must field its team using the athletes it brings. However, if, say, another country has qualified Olympic spots in just 3 of the four disciplines, it can add a non-qualified skater ("alternative athlete") to the team. So Italy, who did not qualify a man in London, can bring an alternative athlete for the team event, and that athlete doesn't have to meet the minimum TES set for other men, he has to meet the minimum TES set for the alternative athletes.

What a team can do: if it has two or more athletes qualified in an event, it may use one for the short and, presuming it qualifies for final, another for free dance or free skate. So Russia could field, say, Tukt in short, and Sotnikova in free. However, a country can only do this twice. TMI?