View Poll Results: Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 78.85%
  • No

11 21.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Patrick absolutely needs a primary technical coach that he learns from every day. This last year in Colorado he was only having lessons from Eddie Shipstad probably 2 or 3 times a week. I think it will be good for him to move. The reason he doesn't like Colorado Springs anymore is because everyone dislikes him because he acts like an asshole while at the rink. He acts like he owns every session, even when there are plenty of other top skaters training ( max arron, josh farris, agnes zawadzki ). There have been numerous tantrums when skaters get in his way, and there have been occasions when he has skated over coaches as well. After a few weeks in Detroit everyone will realize how much of an asshole he can be.
    Really? He didn't say he doesn't like Colorado Springs as far as I can read from his interviews. He is still deciding. Your comments clearly contradict those who are friends with Patrick. We may never know all the reasons why he may contemplate moving to Detroit but it certainly makes sense since it's closer to Toronto. Is it uncommon for skaters to move their training base? Let others judge for themselves whether he is truly an asshole like you said.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    Patrick has also said in an interview he would never use a sports psychologist. He said Mr.Coulson told him if you needed to go that route you may as well hang up your skates, and Patrick is following his advice.
    I'm certain Mr. Coulson also intended for him to have a compulsory figure era figure skating coach that produced an Olympic Champion, and intended Patrick to be fully equipt to go the route of dressing perfectly for breakfast, dressing perfectly for lunch, dressing perfectly for dinner, not the route of "The Emperor has No Clothes".
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    Coulson died at age 80. Not surprising that someone of his generation, born in 1916, might disregard psychology. Patrick should take that advice with an entire container of salt.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Triple Axel;3876445]Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko used to skate multiple quad programs in their sleep..and they LANDED their other jumps, too. And talk about skating skills!! For footwork, Chan had NOTHING on Yagudin (See 2002 Olympic short OR long programs for a clinic on footwork and artistry, as well as jumps!!)Couldn't have said it better myself. Yagudin like you said had great footwork even though in the 6.0 system it didn't mean as much as it does now. Plus he landed most of his jumps and he never won a World Championship skating as sloppy as Chan did.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko used to skate multiple quad programs in their sleep..and they LANDED their other jumps, too. And talk about skating skills!! For footwork, Chan had NOTHING on Yagudin (See 2002 Olympic short OR long programs for a clinic on footwork and artistry.
    I am a Yagudin fan but I have to disagree with you that Yagudin was on par with Chan on skating skills and intricacy/variety of footwork. In fact, a lot other skaters have done quite more difficult step sequences since the CoP was introduced than Yagudin did in his entire competitive career.

Plus he landed most of his jumps and he never won a World Championship skating as sloppy as Chan did.
    Just rewatch Yagudin's free skate at the 2000 Worlds where he took the gold medal. He was really lucky to win that one.
    Last edited by VarBar; 03-17-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Coulson died at age 80. Not surprising that someone of his generation, born in 1916, might disregard psychology. Patrick should take that advice with an entire container of salt.
    Mr. Coulson might have also been misunderstood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    No, he is guaranteed to win regardless what he does on the ice so why bother changing anything. I am sure he feels the same way as well and wont change a thing. Why fix what is already working (which for him is simply showing up at events).
    How wrong can you get. Patrick has not skated two good programs since taking from that less than stellar coach who doesn't understand much the technique of figure skating. She's a groupie trying to gain from his success. It break my heart to see such a beautiful skater manipulated and destroyed.

vCash
    Except for the triple axel, I don't see anything wrong in his technique. Some skaters just find certain jumps more difficult (e.g. Lambiel always struggled with the 3A but landed the quad toes very easily). So my answer is No.

vCash
    This is his final season and it is almost over now. His career is basically at the end so he would be getting a new coach for what exactly? Show skating.

vCash
    Sorry didnt notice this was started almost a year ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Just rewatch Yagudin's free skate at the 2000 Worlds where he took the gold medal. He was really lucky to win that one.
    His 1998 Worlds LP was also extremely mediocre. He only won cause Eldredge was buried in 4th after the SP. Plushenko had 3 relatively strong Worlds performances. Only a random fall not on jump in 2004 but still got a bunch of 6.0's. But obviously it's a different era, different expectations.

vCash
    Who knows if Patrick is retiring - I certainly haven't heard or read that.
    pug lover

vCash
    Well given that he said he was originally expecting to retire after 2010 and only decided to continue after not winning an Olympic medal of any color, I would think him continuing is highly unlikely. Along with that the only point of continuing would be the Olympic Gold, and he would be 28 at the time of the 2018 Olympics and his technical peak was 2-3 years ago now, so it isnt happening.

Davis & White havent announced retiring either, but everyone is pretty much certain they will too, especialy if they win the OGM in a few days as expected. Although I could see them continuing as more likely than Chan or Virtue & Moir, still unlikely though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12