View Poll Results: Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 78.85%
  • No

11 21.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

vCash
    No, he is guaranteed to win regardless what he does on the ice so why bother changing anything. I am sure he feels the same way as well and wont change a thing. Why fix what is already working (which for him is simply showing up at events).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    No, he is guaranteed to win regardless what he does on the ice so why bother changing anything. I am sure he feels the same way as well and wont change a thing. Why fix what is already working (which for him is simply showing up at events).
    Well, the next step could be that he doesn't even need to show up. He can just send a DVD with his skating and they will send him the gold medal by post to save money for travelling and accommodation...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, the next step could be that he doesn't even need to show up. He can just send a DVD with his skating and they will send him the gold medal by post to save money for travelling and accommodation...
    That sounds like a good plan. Maybe hold a silver and down competition for all the other men though? The DVD for Chan sounds like the best option. Foolish to make him skate when he is certain to win each time out even if he sits on the ice for 5 minutes.

vCash
    I don't get the point of this thread unless it is to bash the skater for judges marks, something he has no control over. Sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    I don't get the point of this thread unless it is to bash the skater for judges marks, something he has no control over. Sad.

Agreed.

vCash
    And agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And agreed
    and agreed again.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    You're right, you don't get the point ... Strange ... Don't skating fans like watching good performances, not just good medal ceremonies?

It's about the PERFORMANCE. Patrick Chan is UNDERPERFORMING. He, as an athlete, should be concern that he is not performing well, even if the medals are piling up.

I think it is a training issue because his skills are more developed than others.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    You're right, you don't get the point ... It's about the PERFORMANCE. Patrick Chan is UNDERPERFORMING. He, as an athlete, should be concern that he is not performing well, even if the medals are piling up.
    OK you have a point but others are just using this thread to bash instead of making constructive comments. Personally, I think that Chan needs to work on his focus and staying focused for the whole program. If he does not have a sports psychologist then he should seek one out.

ETA - at your location bardtoob.

vCash
    He needs a coach period. He doesn't have one.

vCash
    It is hard to stay positive if he keeps getting undeserved medals, while those who did deserve them did not get them or got lower value medals. While we don't blame him because he did not give himself the marks, the situation is getting a bit ridiculous.

vCash
    I think he does. That's why I hate he won with a less than stellar performance. He probably thinks his way is fine yet its obvious it is'nt. He also said in an interview recently that they had no plan B is was just execute plan A. Not sure that is the best thinking.

If he does not have a sports psychologist then he should seek one out.
    Patrick has also said in an interview he would never use a sports psychologist. He said Mr.Coulson told him if you needed to go that route you may as well hang up your skates, and Patrick is following his advice.

vCash

Re: Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    I think he does. That's why I hate he won with a less than stellar performance. He probably thinks his way is fine yet its obvious it is'nt. He also said in an interview recently that they had no plan B is was just execute plan A. Not sure that is the best thinking.

Patrick has also said in an interview he would never use a sports psychologist. He said Mr.Coulson told him if you needed to go that route you may as well hang up your skates, and Patrick is following his advice.
    If he really said that about the sports psychologist . I'm not sure that's what he needs but there's no shame in seeking one it either.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I'm not sure "stellar" performances are possible any more (now that multi-quadding is expected). There's just too much content to get in. (I don't think we'll ever see another Buttle or Lambiel type program under the current rules) Kudos to Chan and his team for paying attention to choreography, transitions and good skating skill. At least they try. There were many men's programs this Worlds that had no choreographic or artistic merit at all.

That said, I don't understand the clamor to ditch his Coach. Wasn't this the same guy who was thinking of quitting-and was unmotivated before the switch?

She motivated him/helped him find motivation to continue on with (what has to be) grueling training to win another World Championship. Coaching is about more than technical skills at this level.

His coaching and choreo team put together two programs that worked the current system to get that World title again.

Wasn't he also working with Eddie Shipstad on tech and jumps? Isn't Eddie a PSA rated coach? If Chan moves to Detroit/Toronto to train , he'll need a new tech coach. But he certainly wasn't coachless in Co Springs.

THere's a Kathy Johnson listed as CER compliant on the PSA site. Not a PSA rating, but it's part of the requirement to coach US skaters. Kathy Johnson is a common name, so not sure it's the same person.

Chan is not 17 . He seems perfectly capable of making his own decisions. Per reports, he consults with Buttle and Browning.

It's a difficult sport. Chan is pushing the limits. It ain't gonna be perfect every time.

(and I just started really enjoying his skating this season, so thank you Kathy)

I personally hope he does move to DSC. It's more media friendly so we'll see more photos and hear more about him.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yes. That.

vCash
    Patrick absolutely needs a primary technical coach that he learns from every day. This last year in Colorado he was only having lessons from Eddie Shipstad probably 2 or 3 times a week. I think it will be good for him to move. The reason he doesn't like Colorado Springs anymore is because everyone dislikes him because he acts like an asshole while at the rink. He acts like he owns every session, even when there are plenty of other top skaters training ( max arron, josh farris, agnes zawadzki ). There have been numerous tantrums when skaters get in his way, and there have been occasions when he has skated over coaches as well. After a few weeks in Detroit everyone will realize how much of an asshole he can be.

But congrats on another world championships

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I'm not sure "stellar" performances are possible any more (now that multi-quadding is expected). There's just too much content to get in. (I don't think we'll ever see another Buttle or Lambiel type program under the current rules) Kudos to Chan and his team for paying attention to choreography, transitions and good skating skill. At least they try. There were many men's programs this Worlds that had no choreographic or artistic merit at all.

That said, I don't understand the clamor to ditch his Coach. Wasn't this the same guy who was thinking of quitting-and was unmotivated before the switch?

She motivated him/helped him find motivation to continue on with (what has to be) grueling training to win another World Championship. Coaching is about more than technical skills at this level.

His coaching and choreo team put together two programs that worked the current system to get that World title again.

Wasn't he also working with Eddie Shipstad on tech and jumps? Isn't Eddie a PSA rated coach? If Chan moves to Detroit/Toronto to train , he'll need a new tech coach. But he certainly wasn't coachless in Co Springs.

THere's a Kathy Johnson listed as CER compliant on the PSA site. Not a PSA rating, but it's part of the requirement to coach US skaters. Kathy Johnson is a common name, so not sure it's the same person.

Chan is not 17 . He seems perfectly capable of making his own decisions. Per reports, he consults with Buttle and Browning.

It's a difficult sport. Chan is pushing the limits. It ain't gonna be perfect every time.

(and I just started really enjoying his skating this season, so thank you Kathy)

I personally hope he does move to DSC. It's more media friendly so we'll see more photos and hear more about him.
    Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko used to skate multiple quad programs in their sleep..and they LANDED their other jumps, too. And talk about skating skills!! For footwork, Chan had NOTHING on Yagudin (See 2002 Olympic short OR long programs for a clinic on footwork and artistry, as well as jumps!!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    Yeah. Consulting a Sports Psychologist really blew Yagudin's chance for Olympic Gold. eh?? Perhaps Alexei should have just hung up his skates..poor guy. After seeking the help of a sports psychologist, he bascially HAD no career left, no hope for a medal, no chance to ever be truly great as a competitive figure skater. Are THESE the lessons Patrick's coach are teaching him?? Wow. Poor guy. He doesn't want to be in the company of 'head cases' like Alexei Yagudin. The association alone would bring such SHAME..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Patrick absolutely needs a primary technical coach that he learns from every day. This last year in Colorado he was only having lessons from Eddie Shipstad probably 2 or 3 times a week. I think it will be good for him to move. The reason he doesn't like Colorado Springs anymore is because everyone dislikes him because he acts like an asshole while at the rink. He acts like he owns every session, even when there are plenty of other top skaters training ( max arron, josh farris, agnes zawadzki ). There have been numerous tantrums when skaters get in his way, and there have been occasions when he has skated over coaches as well. After a few weeks in Detroit everyone will realize how much of an asshole he can be.

But congrats on another world championships
    The bold part. I am not disputing you since I don't know Patrick personally, I just find it strange that if Patrick was such an asshole, why did Max Aaron borrow his dress pant and went to him for fashion advice (which is quite comical considering Patrick's limited wardrobe)?

Icenetwork.com: What was your favorite birthday present this year?

Aaron: I think it must be the suit I got that my parents helped me pay for. I was ecstatic because I needed a suit really badly. I got made fun of a lot for not wearing a suit. I was wearing Patrick [Chan]'s dress pants for the Four Continents banquet. He said to grab anything I needed. He has quite the style -- I usually go to him for fashion advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast