• Before the Men's FS

7 5.34%
  • He's fragile; he'll withdraw during one of his skates

4 3.05%
  • He's literally made of steel; he not withdraw

24 18.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

When Will Plushenko Withdraw from the Olympics?

Plushenko has been named to the Russian Olympic Team. Most posters here appear to expect him to withdraw at some point.

How long will the duct tape last?

And the question is harder than one might think.

The Plushenko case: To skate or not to skate?

The common understanding in Budapest is that Plushenko would like to skate in the team event and leave Kovtun to skate in the individual event. But this is not possible if the rules are followed. Plushenko would have to skate the team event short and free program, and then the individual short and free as well.

The next question then would be: Could Plushenko withdraw for medical reasons after the team event and be replaced by Kovtun for the individual event, provided there is a serious medical reason?

ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta's traditional press conference in Budapest was mainly devoted to Plushenko's case (although the champion's name was not mentioned), fed by the numerous questions arising from the Russian journalists.

"What happens if you get a medical certificate telling you that a skater suffering an injury has to be replaced?"

"Will you accept a medical certificate from the nation's team, or do you need to have an IOC or ISU doctor?"

"Will there be a difference in the case if he just falls sick or if he has suffered the same injury for years?"

Cinquanta was quick to answer the last question, stating that a country team needed to be as strong as possible.

"If one of your skaters has sustained the same injury for years," he said, "You should not enter him or her."

Cinquanta, helped by director general Fredi Schmid, answered that ISU communication 1844 should clarify the matter. Communication 1844 states: "Teams with only one skater/couple qualified for the individual discipline will have no possibility to bring in a substitute skater/couple for the team event after [the team meeting event, Feb. 5], e.g. replace an active skater/couple due to injury or sickness after the short program with a substitute skater or a similar, even in presence of a medical certificate."

"For entries related to individual figure skating events (pairs skating, men's, ice dance, ladies), it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the team leaders meeting for the figure skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on Feb. 10, 2014, for the same circumstances as mentioned above (injury and/or sickness)."

"Any replaced athlete will not be able to be re-accredited after the replacement," communication 1844 concludes.

This means that after the Feb. 5 meeting, no skater can be replaced in the team event.

The next question then would be: Could Plushenko withdraw for medical reasons after the team event and be replaced by Kovtun for the individual event?

By no means, the rule states, at least in the case of Russia, since the replacement skater should already "be part of the accredited delegation on site," as communication 1844 states. And there will be only one accredited man representing Russia: either Plushenko or Kovtun.

The actual answer, which was not too clear in President Cinquanta's answering attempts, may, however, not be as straightforward. The IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games appears to be a bit less strict, as it states that, "where urgent medical problems arise, or in other exceptional circumstances that are assessed on a case-by-case basis, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may permit the permanent replacement of one athlete by another ONLY in the same sport and discipline. This can only occur after consultation with the relevant International Federation (IF) and, when deemed necessary by the IOC, an IOC medical expert."

Assessment on a "case by case basis" could leave the door slightly open. If not, it would mean that no skater qualified for the Games and participating in the team event could be replaced, even in the case of illness, for the individual events, after Feb. 5.
    Just so it's clear, choosing "Before the Men's" SP would mean doing it after the last possible deadline for substitutions. "Before the Team Meeting for the Individual Events" may leave the door open for a possible substitution. Or it might not.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.

vCash
    OMG - what fun. I am not voting but perhaps I will start a poll - How quickly will your poll get shut down?

vCash
    Before the individual event even begins. Even if he skates surprisingly well in the Team Event and helps Russia wins he knows he cant touch Chan or Hanyu with a 10 foot pole in the individual, and that he will also lose to any of Fernandez, Abbott, Ten, Takahashi if they happen to skate well.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Andofanatic;4124788]Before the individual event even begins. Even if he skates surprisingly well in the Team Event and helps Russia wins he knows he cant touch Chan or Hanyu with a 10 foot pole in the individual, and that he will also lose to any of Fernandez, Abbott, Ten, Takahashi if they happen to skate well.[/QUOTE]

That is a big 'if'

vCash
    Most likely after the team event, to be replaced by another Russian skater. The icenetowrk article interprets ISU comm. 1844 wrongly when it writes "since the replacement skater should already "be part of the accredited delegation on site," as communication 1844 states." That passage, however, refers to the exchange of skaters during the team event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Most likely after the team event, to be replaced by another Russian skater. The icenetowrk article interprets ISU comm. 1844 wrongly when it writes "since the replacement skater should already "be part of the accredited delegation on site," as communication 1844 states." That passage, however, refers to the exchange of skaters during the team event.
    Cross-posting from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    I've read through the icenetwork article. Their basic premise is that the follwing prevents a substitution "By no means, the rule states, at least in the case of Russia, since the replacement skater should already "be part of the accredited delegation on site," as communication 1844 states. And there will be only one accredited man representing Russia: either Plushenko or Kovtun."

However, that is badly researched by Icenetwork. That passage refers to the exchange of skaters during the team event. Replacement is a totally different matter though, and falls under the IOC replacement policy. There is even a separate passage explaining that difference in ISU comm. 1844. Has Icenetwork even bothered to read the whole document? They make it sound like the IOC policy would trump an existing ISU rule preventing a replacement, but that is not the case.
    Communication No. 1844 pertains only to the Team Event. The Icenetwork article discusses not only the Team Event but also whether Russia would be able to replace Plushenko as its entry in the Men's competition.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 01-21-2014 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    That is a big 'if'
    Probably atleast one of them will which means no medal for Plushy (Chan and Hanyu would beat him even with several falls should they happen), and knowing that alone will lead to the injury WD from the individual competition. Anyway Plushenko is no sure thing to skate well at this point either. Just look at this competitions the last couple years.

vCash

vCash
    I don't want to jinx him, so I say : never !

vCash
    It just occurred to me I didn't leave open a few other possibilities, suchas that he won't qualify for the Men's FS.

(Not that that's likely to happen.)

Now that he's in, I want him to skate in all four segments, but I have a suspicion the duct tape won't hold out forever.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Hasn't he already hinted/said in an interview he'd withdraw after the TE? It won't be a surprise. Just expected.

I expect to see Kovtun in the Mens individual event.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Vash01;4124793]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    Before the individual event even begins. Even if he skates surprisingly well in the Team Event and helps Russia wins he knows he cant touch Chan or Hanyu with a 10 foot pole in the individual, and that he will also lose to any of Fernandez, Abbott, Ten, Takahashi if they happen to skate well.[/QUOTE]

That is a big 'if'
    Well...considering Abbott and Takahashi have managed to skate well at least once this season, it makes for more than anything Plushenko's done.

vCash
    Gotta love the drama! I mean, even if Plushenko bombs big time and doesn't even win a team medal, there will always be "the Plushenko case" to remember. What a treat

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by succubus View Post
    Pretty much. There will be in any event.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think after the team event would be a good guess,
    However, I chose that he won't withdraw, Go plush !

YEAH!
    vCash
    Whenever he wants!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I voted before the individual event meeting, since this is what Plushenko has planned at least since Nationals. Personally, I hope he skates the whole thing. Nothing against Kovtun (or whoever is the Alternate) but Plushenko is, well, Plushenko. BTW, he is made of titanium, not steel.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I voted before the individual event meeting, since this is what Plushenko has planned at least since Nationals. Personally, I hope he skates the whole thing. Nothing against Kovtun (or whoever is the Alternate) but Plushenko is, well, Plushenko. BTW, he is made of titanium, not steel.
    Sounds about right ... I heard they used titanium because they weren't going to make spare parts.

having a nice day
    vCash
    No retreat, no surrender-Evgeni skates it all and wins. Again. :-D
    Have a nice day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast