View Poll Results: Patrick Chan- most held up and overscored skater in history, in any discipline

Voters
350. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

216 61.71%
  • no

134 38.29%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is Patrick Chan the most overscored and held up skater in history

Simple question, has there been any skater who receives as many inflated scores and is held up and gifted undeserved wins and results as often as Patrick Chan. Yes or no.

vCash

OK, for you, he receives many inflated scores and is held up and gifted undeserved wins and results.
    As I don't agree with this statement, I won't answer your question.

vCash
    Yes, JJ, there has been.
    Crazy about sports!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember that, yes, there has been.

vCash
    Lol old predictable judgejudy.

Just ask yourself why would the judges or the ISU collectively want to "hold up" Patrick so much. Why is he the poster boy of Men's skating or according to you, any figure skater of all time for the ISU to anoint him this supposed legendary status??

vCash
    I can't answer this question because I have to admit I haven't seen all the performances of all the skaters in the history of figure skating but the difference between Chan's components mark of 89.29 and his technical mark of 82.13 in the free skate at Worlds feels more fair because it is more balanced than say Verner's 72.58/39.97 or Joubert's 82.28/65.81 or Takahashi's 85.00/70.36.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    hmmm that didn't take very long...

Eh?
    vCash

YEAH!
    vCash
    Never change, judgeludy. I love your rants about Chan almost as much as the Lysacek ones.

Not a Chan fan but this one didn't bother me too much. Last year upset me because Chan and Takahashi had virtually equal TES in the long and Chan got a blowout in PCS over another extremely talented skater. If Takahashi were the one getting the 5 point PCS spread he would have won.

If I had to object to anything this year I would say Chan's SP score was a smidge high... his program was nearly perfect but he had to fight for the jump landings and that's not reflected very well in the score. But looking at the LP, his component score of 89.28 to Ten's 87.16 is very reasonable.

I just think Chan did what he did well, well enough this time to keep him ahead. It's disappointing to see someone win that way because it's boring and I really don't like him, but I don't think it was a bad overscore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    If I had to object to anything this year I would say Chan's SP score was a smidge high... his program was nearly perfect but he had to fight for the jump landings and that's not reflected very well in the score. But looking at the LP, his component score of 89.28 to Ten's 87.16 is very reasonable.

I just think Chan did what he did well, well enough this time to keep him ahead. It's disappointing to see someone win that way because it's boring and I really don't like him, but I don't think it was a bad overscore.
    He only won by a smidge.

Two falls and two other screw-ups and still the World Champion...by a smidge.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    He only won by a smidge.

Chan lost the LP with his 2 falls. His overall win is due to the lead after the SP.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    He only won by a smidge.

Yeah when you look at it that way, Chan did lose overall by only 1.3, and I'm sure we could find 1.3 points to ding him in either the SP or LP to give it to Ten.

Ten certainly did enough to win, and I would not object to his winning either. I just don't think it was highway robbery this time. At least it was close. It's no longer the days of Chan being 10-20 points ahead even with falls. I don't have the impression here that judges were working overtime to try to save Chan, cause it could've gone either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Chan lost the LP with his 2 falls. His overall win is due to the lead after the SP.
    While both his SP and LP scores were exagerrated (SP by only a bit, LP by a ton, probably about 10 points).

Anyway my prediction of 2 years ago that Chan doesnt even have to skate events, just show up to win them has proven to be correct all this time later. Last 2 Worlds skates like crap and wins over people who skate great. Why bother holding the mens event at the Olympics, mail Chan the gold medal, and save the time and extra energy holding 5 events, that way you can just hold 4 like it was before anyway with no point holding the mens which is pre ordained for Chan to win even if he sits on the ice for 4 minutes, LOL!

vCash
    Judgejudy, the best would be to tell us where exactly his scores were exagerrated. TES ? GOE ? PCS ?
    What would you give for each element and PCS in the SP and in the LP ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Just ask yourself why would the judges or the ISU collectively want to "hold up" Patrick so much. Why is he the poster boy of Men's skating or according to you, any figure skater of all time for the ISU to anoint him this supposed legendary status??
    Possible reasons:

1. The CSA has reached an even higher level of corruption and power than the so called big bad Russians had at their height of political influence in the 70s and 80s. Nobody dares to think that since Canadians are supposed to be so sweet and innocent.

2. The judges today are skating skill crazy to the point that the skater who happens to be the best in that one aspect (skating skills) is somehow morphed into the minds of the skater skill obsessed judges of today that he is perceived to be 3 times better than the next best skaters in the World in every other aspect of the sport too, even when that is clearly not the case, thus giving the 7 or 8 fall cushion.

3. Figure skating judges in general and the new COP even moreso pretty much suck anyway. Not exactly new news there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Judgejudy, the best would be to tell us where exactly his scores were exagerrated. TES ? GOE ? PCS ?
    All 3 of them. He does not deserve +3s in GOE for every element he does reasonably well like he gets. He did not deserve such high PCS for a LP with jarring falls and stumbles which severly interrupted the program. His performance and to some degree interpretation scores for his LP should have in fact been quite low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    All 3 of them. He does not deserve +3s in GOE for every element he does reasonably well like he gets. He did not deserve such high PCS for a LP with jarring falls and stumbles which severly interrupted the program. His performance and to some degree interpretation scores for his LP should have in fact been quite low.
    I'd love to skate reasonably well !
    The problem is that, if you compare to the others, really his scores here are not that generous. The others made mistakes too.

vCash
    While both his SP and LP scores were exagerrated (SP by only a bit, LP by a ton, probably about 10 points).

Anyway my prediction of 2 years ago that Chan doesnt even have to skate events, just show up to win them has proven to be correct all this time later. Last 2 Worlds skates like crap and wins over people who skate great. Why bother holding the mens event at the Olympics, mail Chan the gold medal, and save the time and extra energy holding 5 events, that way you can just hold 4 like it was before anyway with no point holding the mens which is pre ordained for Chan to win even if he sits on the ice for 4 minutes, LOL!
    We may not all agree with last years worlds results but it was far from skating like CRAP! I'm not a Chan fan but I admire what he put out last year. Just two silly mistakes with the double axel at the end and the double sal, most other elements were flawless incl. 2 perfect quads and a triple axel.

As for this year, I was in the stands and after Patrick skated everyone knew that he would be world champ because the other favourites were down in the short and had less than stellar long programs. Everyone around me including myself were praying that someone after him would take the title! Just so there would be a satisfying winner. Denis Ten skated great, and the judges literally did everything they could to give him the title, but in the end he just couldn't make up the 6-7pt deficit after the short, too bad he popped his 3F and had some poor landings.

The result wasn't a total travesty, but it's too bad none of the major contenders brought it tonight. We really wanted a champions performance in London, at least we got Denis Ten.

ETA: I meant last night not tonight
    Last edited by cbd1235; 03-16-2013 at 05:01 PM.

vCash
    Definitely Yes!

vCash
    Simple question, has there been any skater who receives as many inflated scores and is held up and gifted undeserved wins and results as often as Patrick Chan. Yes or no.
    Carolina Koster. Enough hyperbole.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast