Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2016 Worlds - potential US bid?

US Figure Skating issued a RFP for any US cities interested in hosting the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships. The RFP indicated any bids should be submitted by Feb 15, with the evaluation taking place right now. US Figure Skating would then confirm their selection in early April and make the formal submission to the ISU on April 15. Any word on which cities submitted bids to US Figure Skating?

vCash
    The past few days, Skate Canada has had to justify its decision to the national media why they selected London and not a "bigger" city. In short, they believed it was better to sell out a small arena than have a 1/4 empty large arena. They used Calgary as an example but I find that unfair given the Worlds occurred in an Olympic year.

How did LA do? I know there were a lot of complaints about prices and the event took place in the middle of a huge economic downturn, the event still sold a lot of tickets, right? Or is it expected that the USFSA will take a similar route as Skate Canada?

Anyways, my choices would be Vegas and Phoenix.

I wonder if D&W would consider staying on due to this.

vCash
    I'd rather see it in Everett or Spokane with an arena that is filled to the gills. I find it pretty depressing to see world championships with lots of empty seats. (Then again, I have no understanding of the pricing/marketing strategy that seems to be fine with having whole sections unoccupied.)

vCash
    I bet D.C. would be a sell out if Worlds come back here again.

vCash
    I think LA was pretty packed and sold well, but I'm going to guess a lot of it had to do with Yu-na. I remember the arena being really packed for the free dance, and people told me it was nuts for the ladies SP and LP.

I think a smaller city, where the arena is packed, is a much better idea than a 1/4 or 1/2 empty arena for Worlds. Costs less, too, I'd imagine.

West Coast so I can go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Yes please!

vCash
    A recap in the Omaha paper after Nationals stated that Omaha was considering a bid for Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    A recap in the Omaha paper after Nationals stated that Omaha was considering a bid for Worlds.
    They should NOT get it. Nobody came to Nationals.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I keep hoping Spokane will. We'd go nuts for Worlds. I haven't heard anything about a bid, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    We can only hope. But I heard there were some issues in 2003 - ISU unhappy about some things relating to sponsorships and transportation/logistics, so I don't think DC is going to get a Worlds again. But you never know.

I think it is a must that Worlds be held in a city with/near an int'l airport, with easy connections. Spokane wouldn't meet that definition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    OMG...Could you imagine exposing the world to the Barbershop quartet from hell? No thanks

vCash
    DC had it in 2003. LA had it in 2009. It's the Midwest's turn to host worlds!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I think it is a must that Worlds be held in a city with/near an int'l airport, with easy connections. Spokane wouldn't meet that definition.
    Kent it is!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Kent it is!
    And enough hotel rooms to house all the competitors, parents/families, officials (prob more of those than there aer competitors), and other assorted VIPs and event staff.

I wouldn't mind a Worlds in the Midwest, but maybe a city where there isn't still a danger of a blizzard in March. Cincinnati? Nashville? Dallas?

vCash
    And enough hotel rooms to house all the competitors, parents/families, officials (prob more of those than there aer competitors), and other assorted VIPs and event staff.

I wouldn't mind a Worlds in the Midwest, but maybe a city where there isn't still a danger of a blizzard in March. Cincinnati? Nashville? Dallas?
    I dare say that Ontario, Canada is much more likely to have snowy weather than the U.S. Midwest. My vote would be for Denver or Salt Lake City.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Spokane has an international airport with direct international flights, though a lot of people would probably end up connecting through SeaTac. And traffic is always good between the airport and downtown Spokane because... it's Spokane.

vCash
    Spokane would do a great job, but it would also be nice to spread the wealth around. What about Detroit? Also, didn't Providence host a cheesefest back in 2004? Kansas City has been bidding on Nationals the past few years, so maybe they'll get Worlds?

vCash
    Maybe Kansas City?? Seems like they had a really nice arena (newish) and lots of hotels and restaurants.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yes please!
    yES...D.C, or somewhere on the East Coast, so I can go!!

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash

Cincinnati would also RULE...or Columbus...please....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast