Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Loving all these photos and videos! I hope that pose in the very first twitter photo is part of their programs! It's very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    Careful with this link! I clicked on it and got the box saying my computer has a virus that needs to be cleaned scam thing. I got rid of the page, tougher to do as it then gives you another box asking if you really want to "Leave this page".
    Anyway, hope the article was good. Interesting that Derek seems to have outrun Charlie in the instagram race. I bet this dance will be great.
    You might want to run Malware Bytes or some other antivirus scan. I didn't get a window like that for this page. Not to alarm you, but when that's happened to me in the past, it's usually because a part of the virus is already on my computer and not the webpage.

vCash
    Wow, they managed to make both of them look not great. Meryl's fabulous hair is straight and flat and really does not flatter her face. Even more astonishing, they managed to make her look like she has chunky thighs (which she sure doesn't.) Meanwhile, Charlie really should have gotten a haircut because it looks to be fairly unmanageable at this length, sproinging out at weird angles.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Wow, they managed to make both of them look not great. Meryl's fabulous hair is straight and flat and really does not flatter her face. Even more astonishing, they managed to make her look like she has chunky thighs (which she sure doesn't.) Meanwhile, Charlie really should have gotten a haircut because it looks to be fairly unmanageable at this length, sproinging out at weird angles.
    I feel like most of the photos they took of all the athletes were pretty unflattering. Compared to 2010's promo shots, they could do a bit better.

vCash
    ^^ ITA! The lighting was very bad in most of the shots and the camera angles were unflattering. Strange how the photogs in many shots made fabulous looking athletic young people appear unattractive.

In the shot with Charlie sitting down and Meryl standing, I could see the prominent veins in Charlie's hands. Not that it's a bad thing -- I have prominent veins on the back of my hands also. However, I'm a lot older than Charlie, and I don't think that should be such a highly visible feature in the photo. Again, probably has a lot to do with poor lighting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkmaria View Post
    I think Sheherazade would be a great choice for D/W. Sure, it's overused, but it really suits them. It is so diverse and colorful that it can help them show their expressive style at its best, not to mention that exotic music and a bright, sumptuous costume would match Meryl's striking appearance perfectly

And don't forget that this music turned out to be a lucky choice for an American skater at the previous Olympics
    Sigh...I don't know. I like the music and love it for them. It doesn't feel overused to me, in that I don't instantly conjure up all the previous skates in my mind *but* the stans (for both teams) will be out hard for the Olympics and it's going to be annoying to hear that they used overused music every five seconds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Where has Derek Hough been all these years? He is fantastic for providing these back stage glimpses.
    IKR...I think he should be permanently a part of the team in at least a PR compacity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    *but* the stans (for both teams) will be out hard for the Olympics and it's going to be annoying to hear that they used overused music every five seconds.
    I know. Even though it's not often used in ice dance and so many teams chose Carmen last year (and I enjoyed the Carmens), Scheherazade will probably be spoken of like it's a tired choice used all the time. I'm sure people will say it's just Samson & Delilah to new music or something. Sigh. We just have to wear armored ear plugs. Or... sunglasses, since it's all in writing.

Whatever Meryl and Charlie choose, we know they are capable of great creativity that the judges have appreciated.

vCash
    If this is their choice I wonder if it is something they have had chosen for awhile. Tanith made a comment last year (Skate America maybe?) about how they had chosen Notre Dame to set themselves up for what they had chosen for the Olympic Season. It seems like I've read over the years here at FSU that a lot of people (including those who are more casual fans) have said that Samson and Delilah is their favorite D/W program and have wished D/W to go back in that direction for a program again. With the exception of the Bollywood OD Meryl and Charlie have stayed away from themes and music that is reminiscent of that program. Perhaps they have known for awhile that they wanted something similar to S&D, whether or not Sheherezade was the exact piece they had in mind.

Just speculating "out loud" here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Whatever Meryl and Charlie choose, we know they are capable of great creativity that the judges have appreciated.
    I think creativity is not Meryl and Charlie's strongest point. And so that you don't think that I am saying this just because I am a Tessa and Scott fan, I will say that it's not Tessa and Scott's strongest point either (they and Swan injected some creativity in their 'Pink Floyd' and 'Carmen' FDs and also in their last exhibition 'Stay', but I don't think that's enough to label them as creative forever). Meryl and Charlie's strongest points (outside of pure technique) are that they are dynamic, exciting, emotional and dramatic. And 'Scherezade' would allow them to show those strong points just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I think creativity is not Meryl and Charlie's strongest point. And so that you don't think that I am saying this just because I am a Tessa and Scott fan, I will say that it's not Tessa and Scott's strongest point either (they and Swan injected some creativity in their 'Pink Floyd' and 'Carmen' FDs and also in their last exhibition 'Stay', but I don't think that's enough to label them as creative forever). Meryl and Charlie's strongest points (outside of pure technique) are that they are dynamic, exciting, emotional and dramatic. And 'Scherezade' would allow them to show those strong points just fine.
    Oh, I think the top two teams are quite creative. There's always a new detail to notice and an intelligent change that suits the music. They may not be avant-garde or voidy, but I do think they're creative. They've both skated to familiar music (S&D, DF, Carmen) and made those programs stand out.

vCash
    Lauravvv, you win the award for most diplomatic post of the year. Totally off topic, but I like the way you can compliment and critique both teams without bashing or unnecessary jabs. Thanks for bringing all sides into perspective. I think both teams have elevated ice dance to a new level, but I agree neither have revolutionized the sport with creativity.

As for the music choice, I agree this plays to their strengths, but wish they'd do something a little more unique. Tis the Olympic Season, so safe is smart, especially with a Russian composer. I just hope their short dance is a knockout like Giselle. I think a top notch short program will help set them up for the free.

Is it October yet?

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Circuscandy never said creativity was Meryl and Charlie's strongest point.

vCash
    Do you really think that V/M and D/W aren't creative? hm..interesting. IMO, Their creative Indian Bollywood routine turned me into a fan(along with their dynamic, exciting, emotional and dramatic aspects to it)

I think both teams are very creative in their own way; with or without music. I may not like certain V/M programs (such as Carmen,FF,etc.), but I never considered them uncreative. Their Latin program for example was very original and creative. Probably my favorite of theirs.

vCash
    ^^ ITA, Jiazumi

vCash
    Exactly. Creative doesn't have to be groundbreaking or ahead of its time to count. Creative can be working within established boundaries and making something special out of it.

vCash
    Exactly. Creative doesn't have to be groundbreaking or ahead of its time to count. Creative can be working within established boundaries and making something special out of it.
    ^This. Both these teams do amazing things while still following the established boundaries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineSkater View Post
    Lauravvv, you win the award for most diplomatic post of the year. Totally off topic, but I like the way you can compliment and critique both teams without bashing or unnecessary jabs. Thanks for bringing all sides into perspective. I think both teams have elevated ice dance to a new level, but I agree neither have revolutionized the sport with creativity.
    Thanks, I try . But after reading what circuscandy and Jiazumi wrote in response, I thought that over, and now I agree that I was not completely right about creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    Do you really think that V/M and D/W aren't creative? hm..interesting. IMO, Their creative Indian Bollywood routine turned me into a fan(along with their dynamic, exciting, emotional and dramatic aspects to it)

I think both teams are very creative in their own way; with or without music. I may not like certain V/M programs (such as Carmen,FF,etc.), but I never considered them uncreative. Their Latin program for example was very original and creative. Probably my favorite of theirs.
    Actually, both of you are right. I mixed those things (creative, original and groundbreaking/ahead of it's time) up a bit in my mind. I agree about 'Bollywood', Jiazumi.

vCash
    ^^^triple ditto

I must admit, you all are right on this one. Art, ice dancing, life in general, are all subjective as to how one interprets the item at hand. And often times creativity is in the subtleties of what's being performed. Creativity doesn't have to beat you over the head with being obvious, it can also be felt through an emotional reaction. Ice dancers and skaters in general are tasked with taking required elements and weaving them with artistry, and sometimes there's not enough time for everything.

So yes, on second thought, both teams are creative in their own distinct ways.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted by Tanith Belbin from the wedding of Kendra Moyle & Steven Pottenger today: "Making the most of the wedding photo booth! @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @trevorjyoung AnastasiaOlson, S.Moir" http://pic.twitter.com/9ydeDoBeoz
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Tweeted by Tanith Belbin from the wedding of Kendra Moyle & Steven Pottenger today: "Making the most of the wedding photo booth! @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @trevorjyoung AnastasiaOlson, S.Moir" http://pic.twitter.com/9ydeDoBeoz
    at Charlie's expression.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast