Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1002
  1. #781

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Doppio Axel from Italy has more sources than our US fans. I may actually buy a copy when I go to Rome.
    Doppio Axel must have ties with the NSA.

    I hadn't seen these from the USOC shoot...
    http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/West%...weep-02293.jpg
    http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/West%..._Set-02262.jpg

  2. #782
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Doppio Axel must have ties with the NSA.

    I hadn't seen these from the USOC shoot...
    http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/West%...weep-02293.jpg
    http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/West%..._Set-02262.jpg
    This is what the NSA should be focusing on. Get to Arctic Edge now!!!

  3. #783

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,490
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Uh sorry to burst your bubble but V/M's Carmen is more than that. Much more complex.Also its unfair to compare K&O Carmen (6.0) to V&M's Carmen (CoP) because V/M's Carmen makes K&O's Carmen look slow and technically inferior, one-dimensional, and a dramafest. But thats probably because of 6.0
    well - you cut my point from the quote about V&M having impressive skating skills. I never question that. There are impressive stuff in their program that I am not sure any other amateur team is capable of. Still -it does not make their Carmen modern.
    K&O Carmen was contemporary take of the piece. While the most contemporary thing in V&M program was them groping each other and him roaring.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

  4. #784

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    151
    Interesting charity auction item https://www.charitybuzz.com/support/USFA
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

  5. #785
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The Champs Camp experience is the most interesting of the two. They've always kept it pretty locked down when it comes to the press, would definitely be interesting to actually see it in person.

  6. #786
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,032
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    well - you cut my point from the quote about V&M having impressive skating skills. I never question that. There are impressive stuff in their program that I am not sure any other amateur team is capable of. Still -it does not make their Carmen modern.
    K&O Carmen was contemporary take of the piece. While the most contemporary thing in V&M program was them groping each other and him roaring.
    This is where you're wrong. You just proved that you have no idea what constitutes as modern or contemporary dance.

  7. #787

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,490
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    Just saying you are right does not make you so.
    Very glad people enjoy various teams perform. I certainly do.
    But claiming all the time that one thing is so amazing and that the overused music is not that bad because the choreography is modern has to be back up with examples.
    What is boundary breaking about V&M Carmen? What rules of classical dance have they pushed with their concept? That's what makes choreography contemporary and/or modern.

    I dont pick on V&M on this. There are very few teams in every few years that are willing to take this road. The reason why it is annoying is because there is this claim that V&M had modern choreography, but so far nobody actually pointed out what is modern about it.

    I would assume that it is not that she kills him in the end...
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

  8. #788

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,490
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    And I can certainly agree that IJS makes modern choreography almost impossible.
    Maybe with 2 elements less we would see some more actual dance and creativity happen.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

  9. #789

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    It would be appreciated by me if you could take any specific discussion of V&M's Carmen elsewhere. Thanks!

    ETA link to a relevant discussion in GSD about what constitutes "pushing the creative envelope" and "modern dance movement": http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3941726

    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    Interesting charity auction item https://www.charitybuzz.com/support/USFA
    Anyone have the spare big bucks to bid?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  10. #790

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,490
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope whoever buys this - writes a blog entry
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

  11. #791
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Just saying you are right does not make you so.
    Very glad people enjoy various teams perform. I certainly do.
    But claiming all the time that one thing is so amazing and that the overused music is not that bad because the choreography is modern has to be back up with examples.
    What is boundary breaking about V&M Carmen? What rules of classical dance have they pushed with their concept? That's what makes choreography contemporary and/or modern.

    I dont pick on V&M on this. There are very few teams in every few years that are willing to take this road. The reason why it is annoying is because there is this claim that V&M had modern choreography, but so far nobody actually pointed out what is modern about it.
    aka_gerbil explained it really well in the Anissina thread where there was a discussion about modern and contemporary in ice dance: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3941970

  12. #792
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,032
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Just saying you are right does not make you so.
    Very glad people enjoy various teams perform. I certainly do.
    But claiming all the time that one thing is so amazing and that the overused music is not that bad because the choreography is modern has to be back up with examples.
    What is boundary breaking about V&M Carmen? What rules of classical dance have they pushed with their concept? That's what makes choreography contemporary and/or modern.

    I dont pick on V&M on this. There are very few teams in every few years that are willing to take this road. The reason why it is annoying is because there is this claim that V&M had modern choreography, but so far nobody actually pointed out what is modern about it.

    I would assume that it is not that she kills him in the end...
    People just don't only like their Carmen because its modern dance. They like it because its so different than other Carmen and different to what they usually do and it makes you forget the preconceived notions of Carmen and just enjoy the music.
    Alot of people have pointed out what is modern with it. Theres the side by side movement, focus on the upperbody, the movement is much more raw, the upper body movement is more free (the shoulders, the arms, the arch and round of the back),minimalistic lifts (for example this lift here is very similar to the lift V/M had at the ending of their dance http://youtu.be/zHumax97TH8?t=1m17s), minimalistic costumes, etc.
    IMO this article on ice-dance.com explains it better than I could. http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...-in-ice-dance/
    If you are going to talk about what is and what isn't modern dance you should educate yourself first.


    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    And I can certainly agree that IJS makes modern choreography almost impossible.
    Maybe with 2 elements less we would see some more actual dance and creativity happen.
    One can say the same thing about Ballet/Bollywood . It is hard to translate those movements on ice
    Last edited by parapluies; 06-20-2013 at 09:39 PM.

  13. #793

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,490
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    I was looking for more interesting interpretations of Scheherazade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPv4G-aaX8
    - some of the things could be incorporated into a ice-dance routine with braver music cuts. But honestly I am not too confident. It is after all the Olympics season. But maybe for the slower middle section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbNMZ9op60
    Costumes are amazing. I am not sure shirtless is ISU approved

    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    People just don't only like their Carmen because its modern dance. They like it because its so different than other Carmen and different to what they usually do and it makes you forget the preconceived notions of Carmen and just enjoy the music.
    I think people like their dance for many reasons. They are exciting dance team. What you are pointing out here does not work for me. I dont forget about the story of Carmen while watching V&M modern take. Pretty much like I there is nothing new on that side from D&W with their Notre Dame de Paris.

    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Alot of people have pointed out what is modern with it. Theres the side by side movement, focus on the upperbody, the movement is much more raw, the upper body movement is more free (the shoulders, the arms, the arch and round of the back),minimalistic lifts (for example this lift here is very similar to the lift V/M had at the ending of their dance http://youtu.be/zHumax97TH8?t=1m17s), minimalistic costumes, etc.
    IMO this article on ice-dance.com explains it better than I could. http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...-in-ice-dance/
    If you are going to talk about what is and what isn't modern dance you should educate yourself first.
    Minimalistic costumes are only the appearance of modernity.
    I already read what J. Swan said about the program. As she choreographed it and while her take on ice dancing is interesting, not much of this is possible to translate to the ice.
    Their Carmen has its exciting parts, but does not have continuity nor does it truly break the rules of classical concept. Maybe is it not exactly possible with the system as it is right now, but how will it ever change if some dont bend/break the rules?

    Teams like D&W and V&M have enough impressive skills, experience, titles and are more than capable of taking this risk. It is probably too late, since they will retire after the Olympics as things are.

    I spent four years dancing with an amateur modern dance group.
    Thank you for pointing out the necessity of a life long education.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

  14. #794
    Afterlife
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where no cars go...
    Posts
    854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9530
    I would like to echo Sylvia and ask that the Virtue & Moir Carmen stuff be taking to PM or its own thread please.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

  15. #795
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I already read what J. Swan said about the program.
    Then I suggest that you also read what aka_gerbil wrote, including quotes from a modern dance choreographer, American Ice Theatre founder and former skater Jodi Porter. I already posted the link, but here it is once more - http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3941970 .


    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I would like to echo Sylvia and ask that the Virtue & Moir Carmen stuff be taking to PM or its own thread please.
    Sorry, this was my last post on that topic.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 06-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.

  16. #796

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I would like to echo Sylvia and ask that the Virtue & Moir Carmen stuff be taking to PM or its own thread please.
    Well, obviously some people don't get it. But they claim to get everything else...

  17. #797

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Charlie tweeted this photo today: "@derekhough rocked out on the ice- obviously. hash tag mo natural talent mo problems" http://instagram.com/p/azFMoQsT8K/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  18. #798

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    From the US Olympic Team facebook.
    "We're putting the power in your hands to vote for the 2014 Team USA Calendar cover photo."
    Guess who is a choice for cover photo?

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0802685&type=1

  19. #799
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,032
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I was looking for more interesting interpretations of Scheherazade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPv4G-aaX8
    - some of the things could be incorporated into a ice-dance routine with braver music cuts. But honestly I am not too confident. It is after all the Olympics season. But maybe for the slower middle section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbNMZ9op60
    Costumes are amazing. I am not sure shirtless is ISU approved



    I think people like their dance for many reasons. They are exciting dance team. What you are pointing out here does not work for me. I dont forget about the story of Carmen while watching V&M modern take. Pretty much like I there is nothing new on that side from D&W with their Notre Dame de Paris.


    Minimalistic costumes are only the appearance of modernity.
    I already read what J. Swan said about the program. As she choreographed it and while her take on ice dancing is interesting, not much of this is possible to translate to the ice.
    Their Carmen has its exciting parts, but does not have continuity nor does it truly break the rules of classical concept. Maybe is it not exactly possible with the system as it is right now, but how will it ever change if some dont bend/break the rules?

    Teams like D&W and V&M have enough impressive skills, experience, titles and are more than capable of taking this risk. It is probably too late, since they will retire after the Olympics as things are.

    I spent four years dancing with an amateur modern dance group.
    Thank you for pointing out the necessity of a life long education.
    Well it didn't seem like it sorry!. I think I trust Jody Porter's judgement better than an uber's. You can't argue with the professionals. You should continue dancing so you will learn more

  20. #800
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Derek Hough's Instagram photo of him working with D&W has generated this little article: http://www.wetpaint.com/dancing-with...hs-olympic-ice
    Careful with this link! I clicked on it and got the box saying my computer has a virus that needs to be cleaned scam thing. I got rid of the page, tougher to do as it then gives you another box asking if you really want to "Leave this page".
    Anyway, hope the article was good. Interesting that Derek seems to have outrun Charlie in the instagram race. I bet this dance will be great.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •