Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1002
  1. #61

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,648
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42986
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    ESPN article.
    It's the Associated Press article by Nancy Armour (uncredited) that's posted on the ESPN site.

    I caught a few minutes on the Universal Sports feed of Meryl & Charlie being interviewed by Japanese TV after their win and they both practiced saying a sentence in Japanese that was filmed as a promo for 2014 Worlds in Japan (something like "see you in Saitama"). They were both very serious about getting the pronunciation and intonation right - fun to watch!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,155
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I caught a few minutes on the Universal Sports feed of Meryl & Charlie being interviewed by Japanese TV after their win and they both practiced saying a sentence in Japanese that was filmed as a promo for 2014 Worlds in Japan (something like "see you in Saitama"). They were both very serious about getting the pronunciation and intonation right - fun to watch!
    I wish someone would upload it. That would be awesome if they competed in 2014 Worlds in Japan. We still have the WTT in Japan to look forward to.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1968
    I was sitting at the very top row of the stadium, surrounded by Canadians, but I fist pumped and wooooooed when I saw their score.

    I need to check the video, but from my view in the stadium, both D/W and V/M skated lights out. And D/W won. Exactly what I hoped for. The audience was very classy too, I didn't hear any booing, although I'm assuming most of them hoped that V/M's Carmen would be enough to win.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm glad that Meryl & Charlie skated so well. They didn't even have to, but did it anyway! Congrats to all the American teams on their great job, and also to V&M for skating well in the FD. I haven't seen the Shibutanis' FD, but I heard they got a bit "hosed." Any truth to that?

    I read that in an interview Zueva said she's already picked out the music for both teams for the Olympics. Is that the way it works--your coach just "picks" out your music for you??? Sounds a bit like pre-school. If I were part of an ice-dance team, I'd want to select the music myself, or at least have equal input.

    I wonder--did Torvill & Dean's coach "pick" Bolero for them?
    Last edited by neptune; 03-17-2013 at 12:48 AM.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,155
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    DJ

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Socialist Canada
    Posts
    4,836
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Classy comment by Charlie White on the CBC website talking about the friendship and rivalry between V/M and D/W, saying that without V/M there pushing them every day (and vice versa) both teams would not be where they are today. Nicely said.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    74
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Congratulations Meryl and Charlie! Was so nervous watching them. My heart was pounding...relaxed a bit after the twizzles.

    I read at the GS forum that by the time the last two flights get on ice, the air quality is really bad in the arena. The humidity is higher--the arena 'warmer' as the competition goes on. They said that Eurosport guys were also commenting on it. This could be affecting a lot of the top flight competitors, especially those with respiratory problems like Charlie.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DFJ View Post
    Classy comment by Charlie White on the CBC website talking about the friendship and rivalry between V/M and D/W, saying that without V/M there pushing them every day (and vice versa) both teams would not be where they are today. Nicely said.
    And that's not just fluff--no doubt the rivalry is responsible, at least to a degree, for the quality in their skating.

    Wonder how their "friendship" is going to progress from here? From some of the comments that Moir has made both recently and in the past, I would think it must be very difficult at times for Meryl & Charlie to consider their rivals "friends."

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie. I tried to remain objective while watching them, but couldn't.

    They are just so good and so wonderfully consistent. Amazing role models ... and they answered the awkward questions from the interviewer after the FD with such class, as usual.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,293
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    856
    Loooong time lurker chiming in. I'm thrilled for D/W. Just the other night, I took another look at their Olympic FD and then compared it to this year's FD. Wow! Talk about massive improvements in all areas: expression, crispness, edges. I loved them then but for some to suggest, that there haven't been any improvements need to get their eyes checked.

    That said, I thoroughly enjoyed V/M's performance too! I have disliked Carmen all season long but tonight was a different story. Such passion!

    Oh man, I better stock up on anxiety meds cause next season is going to be such a nailbiter.


    Congratulations again to Meryl and Charlie I cannot WAIT to see what's in store next season.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    They are just so good and so wonderfully consistent.
    Exactly. Incidentally, on another thread, someone stated that they think Meryl & Charlie have been skating pretty much the "same" program in the FD the past several years. Does anyone think there's any truth to that? I'm not saying that there is--I'm just asking.

    Amazing role models ... and they answered the awkward questions from the interviewer after the FD with such class, as usual.
    They're consummate politicians.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I cannot WAIT to see what's in store next season.
    So now they're opening up a store???? Cool--I wonder what they'll call it.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,150
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. Incidentally, on another thread, someone stated that they think Meryl & Charlie have been skating pretty much the "same" program in the FD the past several years. Does anyone think there's any truth to that? I'm not saying that there is--I'm just asking.



    They're consummate politicians.
    what a dangerous choice of word in this situation/sport, even if unintended. i think you might have meant diplomats

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    what a dangerous choice of word in this situation/sport, even if unintended. i think you might have meant diplomats
    I can see what you mean. Well, I definitely meant what I said as a compliment. They are certainly very shrewd.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I need to check the video, but from my view in the stadium, both D/W and V/M skated lights out. And D/W won. Exactly what I hoped for. The audience was very classy too, I didn't hear any booing, although I'm assuming most of them hoped that V/M's Carmen would be enough to win.
    Ditto even though I had an incredibly biased stan position while watching and probably saw things that weren't there. I'm glad it was an out and out no major mistakes type of match. I'm so tired of hearing every D/W win chalked up to a V/M weakness. I wanted them to able to own this.

    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    I read that in an interview Zueva said she's already picked out the music for both teams for the Olympics. Is that the way it works--your coach just "picks" out your music for you??? Sounds a bit like pre-school. If I were part of an ice-dance team, I'd want to select the music myself, or at least have equal input.
    Normally I could see resistance, but when you're coach is Marina...don't know about that. Last time someone was really in charge of music we got Funny Face...just saying. It's like letting a valuable resource go to waste...unless you're the Shibs, then run for your life and take some control.

    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. Incidentally, on another thread, someone stated that they think Meryl & Charlie have been skating pretty much the "same" program in the FD the past several years. Does anyone think there's any truth to that? I'm not saying that there is--I'm just asking.
    Interesting. I wonder what their definition of "same" is. I find an Argentine tango, waltz, and theatrical drama to be very different. It's pretty obvious they've actively tried new things. Now if they're saying Meryl and Charlie should never ever do a drama because they did Phantom, I call bullshit. No one would ever suggest V/M not do romance. It's their strength. They're just mad because this is a style they're good at and will be remembered by. And regardless to what people say it's not just M/C that have room to grow. There is so much V/M haven't done, especially in senior competition. One shouldn't assume they'd be good at everything else just because they have a sexy connection and do that well.

    Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 03-17-2013 at 02:08 AM.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw Common Room
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. Incidentally, on another thread, someone stated that they think Meryl & Charlie have been skating pretty much the "same" program in the FD the past several years. Does anyone think there's any truth to that?
    I think the people saying that are angry and hurt and want to lash out and make D/W fans feel as hurt as they do. The 'misery loves company' thought process. It's sad, especially when both teams are so good and they've done so much to elevate the knowledge of ice dance. I mean, I never used to pay attention to dance at all, but both D/W and V/M got my attention and kept it. I like that they push each other to be even better every day. I like that they both expect excellence and want not just titles but for audiences to be wowed.

    I know it's a Pollyanna way of seeing things but more often than not "fans" take all the joy out of the sport and I'm tired of it.

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie. They seem to be really classy people and such hard workers.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,431
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Dont think they [Fusar-Poli/Margaglio] were considered the favorites over A&P for the Olympics even after their World title.]
    I think everyone went in to that season assuming F-P/M and Ann/P would be competing for gold while Bou/Kra and Lobacheva/Av would be battling for bronze. Since the Canadians had usually been coming out ahead, the Russians needed to do something to guarantee a podium spot, and that turned out to be the deal with the French that got exposed in the pairs event. As it turned out, both the Italians and Canadians made it easier for them with SP errors, but it was obvious something was up way back at the surprise 3rd place finish for the Italians at the GP final. We saw the same strategy employed to move Denkova-S out of the podium discussion in 2006 even earlier, with inexplicably low marks in the GP season.

    I'm just saying, old system, new system, it's still ice dance.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    They're just mad because this is a style they're good at and will be remembered by.
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    I think the people saying that are angry and hurt and want to lash out and make D/W fans feel as hurt as they do. The 'misery loves company' thought process. It's sad, especially when both teams are so good and they've done so much to elevate the knowledge of ice dance.
    Yes, I think those folks deserve some pity.

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,155
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    I'm pretty awestruck by the fact that they beat all the odds this time and delivered two brilliant performances. That's what makes this one special.
    As to the "he said, she said", that will go on for eternity. Looking back, some of it was pretty hilarious. After all, that's what keeps FSU in business.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •