Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    They're so cute! Suddenly I feel so bad about calling their program boring...
    She is lovely isn't she ?She has a lovely personality.
    I loved their EX dance it showed her dance abilities .
    Is London Ontario usually such a dirty place ? as T/S have mentioned about the streets never looking so clean

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    ^^^^ Actually the middle section of Carmen is to Micaela's aria. In the opera, Micaela is the devoted, innocent hometown girl Don Jose should have married instead of ditching everything for that witch Carmen. The music is not about an idyllic period in Carmen and Jose's relationship, they never had one. It was sex, thievery, gambling, abandonment of duty, and trouble from the getgo. I can't help wondering if interpolating this idyllic section into the FD accounts for the loss of momentum that people have noticed. Carmen (the character) does not have a sweet side. It would have made more sense to use Jose's "La fleur que tu m'avais jetee" music because he at least did have a sweet side and initially hoped Carmen would be the girl of his dreams. Poor sod. But I don't know if that is in the Schedrin suite. It would have been interesting to see Carmen (the FD) portray that doomed, sentimental side of Jose.
    Schedrin's score "Carmen- suite" was create for ballet version in 1967, choreographed by Alberto Alonso who was also the author of libretto - it is very condensed and reinterpreted story of Carmen, and there is no Micaela figure, just like in earlier Roland Petit's ballet from 1949. For example Petit's version is Carmen via Montmartre - and for a moment she is portrayed as tender coquette. Schedrin suite was also used by Mats Ek (1992), who created another very different and extraordinary interpretation of this music and theme. Here Carmen is unbridled "masculine" character and Don Jose more "feminine", sensitive one, there is also a figure called M - Micaela, Madre, Muerte. (Micaela, Mother, Death).
    Carmen is more than opera work - it is grand cultural theme and it has been reworked and reinterpreted from long time. I can add more film references like Carlos Saura "Carmen" and Jean Luc Godard "Name Carmen".
    Last edited by asunta; 03-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.

vCash
    ^^^>>>><<<<vvvvvv I'm curious as to why we are discussing Carmen here? Wouldn't this be more suited some place else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    ^^^>>>><<<<vvvvvv I'm curious as to why we are discussing Carmen here? Wouldn't this be more suited some place else?
    Sorry for this interruption, I just wanted to answer Spun Silver, who posted here, but I think you can handle it.
    Last edited by asunta; 03-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.

vCash
    I was looking at old videos. This interview from 2010 SOI was so much fun.

vCash
    As the French say: Voila.
    Sorry, but what did you mean by that "voila" (I know what the translation of the word is)? Do you think that Virtue/Moir and Swan were wrong to interpret it that way, because it supposedly broke the momentum of their FD? Or something else? Speaking of that, there is something that I forgot to mention. I think there is also a plus side to that slower part in the middle - it creates a contrast with the last part, and that way the last part is actually more effective. And I am not the only one who thinks this. In the beginning there were some separate people who talked about V/M's 'Carmen' losing momentum in the middle, and then later some Meryl and Charlie fans caught on that tune to explain why Tessa and Scott's FD is not that good. But it doesn't make it a fact. I myself wrote about how that middle part looks a bit emptier. It is choreographically emptier indeed, but, come to think of it, I was wrong to say that they needed that slower part to rest between the two more intense parts. Because, what rest there can really be when that part contains (technically) four of the nine required technical elements? Anyway, I'll end this at that.

Quote Originally Posted by asunta View Post
    Schedrin's score "Carmen- suite" was create for ballet version in 1967, choreographed by Alberto Alonso who was also the author of libretto - it is very condensed and reinterpreted story of Carmen, and there is no Micaela figure, just like in earlier Roland Petit's ballet from 1949. For example Petit's version is Carmen via Montmartre - and for a moment she is portrayed as tender coquette. Schedrin suite was also used by Mats Ek (1992), who created another very different and extraordinary interpretation of this music and theme. Here Carmen is unbridled "masculine" character and Don Jose more "feminine", sensitive one, there is also a figure called M - Micaela, Madre, Muerte. (Micaela, Mother, Death).
    Carmen is more than opera work - it is grand cultural theme and it has been reworked and reinterpreted from long time. I can add more film references like Carlos Saura "Carmen" and Jean Luc Godard "Name Carmen".
    Thank you, asunta.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Is London Ontario usually such a dirty place ? as T/S have mentioned about the streets never looking so clean
    I hate to pick on London but if what I saw was considered "clean," then . My interest was piqued by that comment from Tessa too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Sorry, but what did you mean by that "voila" (I know what the translation of the word is)? Do you think that Virtue/Moir and Swan were wrong to interpret it that way, because it supposedly broke the momentum of their FD? Or something else? Speaking of that, there is something that I forgot to mention. I think there is also a plus side to that slower part in the middle - it creates a contrast with the last part, and that way the last part is actually more effective. And I am not the only one who thinks this. In the beginning there were some separate people who talked about V/M's 'Carmen' losing momentum in the middle, and then later some Meryl and Charlie fans caught on that tune to explain why Tessa and Scott's FD is not that good. But it doesn't make it a fact. I myself wrote about how that middle part looks a bit emptier. It is choreographically emptier indeed, but, come to think of it, I was wrong to say that they needed that slower part to rest between the two more intense parts. Because, what rest there can really be when that part contains (technically) four of the nine required technical elements? Anyway, I'll end this at that.
    All that in response to "voila"? All that means (idiomatically) is, roughly, Yup, There you have it, Exactly, etc. Relax, honey.

Anyway, back to D/W. Curious - there is a lot of talk of Samson and Delilah here, but did anyone end up liking Les Miz better than Fledermaus? I didn't think it was possible, but I did watch it more. I'm glad I don't have to choose between them.

vCash
    Anyway, back to D/W. Curious - there is a lot of talk of Samson and Delilah here, but did anyone end up liking Les Miz better than Fledermaus? I didn't think it was possible, but I did watch it more. I'm glad I don't have to choose between them.
    Do you mean Notre dame? I think their free dance this year took me on more of an emotional journey than die fledermaus did. Perhaps DF is still the stronger program choreographically but this years program elicited a response from me that almost always took me by surprise. It's was true especially of their last three performances of it in the second half of the season. I think this is testament to their growth as performers this season.

vCash
    Does anyone have a quick link to their 07-08 Russian folk dance OD? My YouTube search skills are failing me.

I think their free dance this year took me on more of an emotional journey than die fledermaus did. Perhaps DF is still the stronger program choreographically but this years program elicited a response from me that almost always took me by surprise. It's was true especially of their last three performances of it in the second half of the season. I think this is testament to their growth as performers this season.
    I agree--but Die Fledermaus is also a bit bittersweet for me because of 4CCs and Worlds. I'm so glad they did WTT last year and had their best outing of the season with it. Notre Dame represents so much work and growth for them that complemented the theme perfectly. It's easier for me to put it in the unqualified success box.
    Last edited by CassAgain; 03-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Does anyone have a quick link to their 07-08 Russian folk dance OD? My YouTube search skills are failing me.
    I don't see any on YT anymore. Here is another one.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1ODA5MTY0.html

vCash
    Thank you!

vCash
    All that in response to "voila"? All that means (idiomatically) is, roughly, Yup, There you have it, Exactly, etc. Relax, honey. :cool
    I am not honey for you . Other than that - okay, I understood. But no, all of that was not really in response to "voila". It was something that I had forgotten to write earlier, and was still intending to write before I had read your "voila" .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    Do you mean Notre dame? I think their free dance this year took me on more of an emotional journey than die fledermaus did. Perhaps DF is still the stronger program choreographically but this years program elicited a response from me that almost always took me by surprise. It's was true especially of their last three performances of it in the second half of the season. I think this is testament to their growth as performers this season.

Of the two, I do prefer Notre Dame emotionally and choreographically. I still enjoyed Die Fledermaus, but IMO it's much more of a straight shoot, so to speak, than Notre Dame. And even then I'd still like to see D/W perform more complex choreography. I think they're more than capable of it. I still miss the original Eleanor Rigby from time to time-the transitions (especially into the twizzles!), just all of it.

I can't wait to see what they come up with for the Olympic season, but I am sincerely hoping they get outside input. It did wonders for them in the Bollywood OD, and I'd like to see what another ice dance choreographer could come up with for them. Sure Marina knows them best, but it's good take on another perspective!

vCash
    In some ways, I think the SD is more important than the FD--I hope they spend lots of time very early on getting the Finnstep Keypoints exactly right and getting the music right for it.

Next year, teams can do a circular, straight line, or diagonal not touching step in the SD. I'm hoping they go for the diagonal, just because it's a new option, and in any case, their not touching steps are real highlights for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    In some ways, I think the SD is more important than the FD--I hope they spend lots of time very early on getting the Finnstep Keypoints exactly right and getting the music right for it.

Next year, teams can do a circular, straight line, or diagonal not touching step in the SD. I'm hoping they go for the diagonal, just because it's a new option, and in any case, their not touching steps are real highlights for me.
    I agree. I hope next season's SD is just as seamless as this season's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    I can't wait to see what they come up with for the Olympic season, but I am sincerely hoping they get outside input. It did wonders for them in the Bollywood OD, and I'd like to see what another ice dance choreographer could come up with for them. Sure Marina knows them best, but it's good take on another perspective!
    Before I got to know that Shibutanis were doing 'Memoirs of Geisha' I was thinking that Meryl and Charlie could do something like that, or 'Miss Saigon', as someone else once mentioned. I would have loved to see them do an Eastern theme once again. I think it really suits Meryl. But now I don't know. I just hope that there will be surprises - in a good sense, of course .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    I agree that is proves their growth and hopefully it will set them up for next year and people will view them as having arrived. I do think DF was more of a unique masterpiece though. It will be the gold standard of waltzes for a long time. If you feel that way it's upsetting that they didn't win that year, not so much that we/I didn't love Notre Dame, because that type of program is right up my alley and they did it so well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    I was interested. The choreographic choices of their main competition is relevant to me. Also it's slow, so I don't see the harm. No one's post is being buried in all the flurry of activity.

vCash
    No WTT : for either D&W or V&M : I feel like the season has ended when I expected one more event.

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast