Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    One of the best things about the Olympic season - the media summit photo shoots! I'm already looking forward to more adorable pics like we had last time.
    me too!

vCash
    Maybe it's just because I've been listening to it a lot lately, but I'd love to see Meryl & Charlie tackle a "La Bayadere" free dance. Gorgeous music + D/W's skating has the potential to be absolutely .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    One of the best things about the Olympic season - the media summit photo shoots! I'm already looking forward to more adorable pics like we had last time.
    Oh yes! Weren't those in the summer last Olympic season?

vCash
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Team USA Media Summit presented by the United States Olympic Committee will take place Sept. 29-Oct. 2, 2013, at the Waldorf Astoria Park City in Park City, Utah, a resort within the Hilton HHonors portfolio, a USOC sponsor. More than 100 Team USA hopefuls for the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, will participate in the four-day event.
    Full press release: http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...ia-Summit.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks Sylvia

vCash
    I found one more tidbit of info in this Worlds wrap-up article: http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...For-Sochi.aspx
    Several of the top skaters, Davis and White among them, are expected to participate in one more competition, April 11-14 in Tokyo and then will do a pre-Olympic media shoot in West Hollywood, Calif., later in the month.
    Associated Press article on Davis/White's Worlds win (by Nancy Armour, I assume?): http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...rld-Title.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    My ideal Olympic FD for D/W would be something that starts off soft, to showcase the astounding improvements in finesse they've made since the last Olympics. They're not the same team as in 2010. The finer areas of their skating - posture, lines, fluidity, control, chemistry - all have improved so much since POTO. Then the music gradually builds until the last minute or two is just crazy fast and aggressive, balls-to-the-wall, tearing around the rink. They can pull off a piece of music that builds to one big climax at the end because D/W never make mistakes. Classical music is a must and no more than 2 music cuts. Those are my stipulations.
    This, especially the bolded part. The music ended up to be the only thing I didn't like about Notre Dame. It is probably good, but it still lacks the ultimate class and emotional impact of classical pieces. My two favourite D/W programs are both classical (Samson and Delilah and Die Fledermaus). I hope they stick to classical music for the OG, because it is definitely their huge advantage that they are able to interpret classical pieces without being "lost" in their grandeur. At the same time, I don't think that Beethoven is an ideal choice. I'd prefer opera, because Meryl and Charlie are good at telling a story on ice. We discussed several options with my friend, and she came up with Tristan and Isolde or Madame Butterfly. I particularly liked Tristan and Isolde - the music is powerful and spectacular (if one can say so about music ), and the story is captivating. However, my dream is for them to skate to The Tzar's Bride by Rimsky-Korsakov - here's the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tsar%27s_Bride_(opera) But it will never come true, because it's little known outside Russia, although the music is gorgeous and the story is also good.

vCash
    What about "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Mendelssohn Bartholdy? I love that music and I don't remember that many skaters have used it. Don't know how well it translates to the ice, though. Or Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D? Takahashi used that as a SP music in 2007 and I thought it worked well for him, though you'd need good music edits here, something I'm a bit skeptical about when it comes to team Canton...

When it comes to Beethoven, I agree not everything is "skater friendly". But I would love to see someone do the Piano Concerto 5. It is sufficiently "majestic" for an Olympic season at least IMO. Or if they insist on doing musicals, then away from the "bombastic" stuff and try Sondheim or something in that direction.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I would love to see DW skate Mahler-like number, just to compare to VM. VM skated a more powerful program (Carmen) and it wasn't as good as DW. Now let's see DW skate something very romantic.

In fact it would be nice to see them skate identical programs for comparison, so this controversy can be put to rest. Not that it's gonna happen.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 03-21-2013 at 03:24 PM.

vCash
    I kinda wish D/W would skate to the soundtrack from the film Inception, specifically "Time" with cuts from "Mind Heist" (see link below). It is a personal dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U

vCash
    Tristan and Isolde!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Wagner's Tristan and Isolde has the greatest climax in all of music. That is my dream piece for them, it would show off all the things D/W do so well. There's a wonderful tension that builds and only lets up at the very end.

I do love Beethoven and Rachmaninov too. Did they compose anything story-oriented?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    My ideal Olympic FD for D/W would be something that starts off soft, to showcase the astounding improvements in finesse they've made since the last Olympics. They're not the same team as in 2010. The finer areas of their skating - posture, lines, fluidity, control, chemistry - all have improved so much since POTO. Then the music gradually builds until the last minute or two is just crazy fast and aggressive, balls-to-the-wall, tearing around the rink. They can pull off a piece of music that builds to one big climax at the end because D/W never make mistakes. Classical music is a must and no more than 2 music cuts. Those are my stipulations.

A little sad we won't see them at WTT, it's such a fun event, but getting as much of a head start on their Olympic programs seems crucial. Or a break.
    I almost wish they could have multiple spins...or can pairs side by side spins be allowed and credited. I don't get how anyone can discredit them for their fluidity when their spins are like butter. I'm not going to lie, when V/M could never master that spin and had to change it I wanted to say, "Look, they can't do everything D/W can do."

I think for them it was more about combing the power and fluidness. Their OD from the Olympics was a lot smoother than their FD. Now they can do booth and that makes them a force to be reckoned with.

vCash
    I honestly can't see Meryl and Charlie in Tristan und Isolde. That music would be much better for Tessa and Scott with their lyrical style and long lines. But the rhapsodic, but lighter, Mariettaslied from Korngold's Die Tote Stadt could be magical for them.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5c-hYelyhM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I think next season Meryl should wear the style of dress she often wore for the "Someone Like You" exhibition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYoyoRFf1MA). I thought it looked beautiful on her, and I think it would work nicely with classical music.
    I think under the bright lights that type of costume would make her look too skinny...*sigh* and she already has to compete with Tessa in the "sexy" department.

vCash
    I think Virtue/Moir might do something very modern to continue on with this theme that they are "pushing the boundaries" of ice dance. I think if Meryl and Charlie do something too classical, especially something dramatic and reminiscent of POTO, they might be hurt by that. I want them to play up their strengths, but I also want them to step out their zone and blow everyone away.

I'm not sure what music will do that though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I think Virtue/Moir might do something very modern to continue on with this theme that they are "pushing the boundaries" of ice dance. I think if Meryl and Charlie do something too classical, especially something dramatic and reminiscent of POTO, they might be hurt by that. I want them to play up their strengths, but I also want them to step out their zone and blow everyone away.

I'm not sure what music will do that though.
    I actually would be surprised if they went modern. Me thinks they're going back to a Mahler-style type of program in hopes of securing the second OGM. They tried doing dramatic and didn't work out for them.

Both teams probably won't go too far out of their comfort zone, not with an OGM on the line. I can see both choosing programs that highlight their strengths, minimize their weaknesses, and plays up to the audience. Something that the crowd in Sochi can get into, something that will get them rousing to their feet if performed to the hilt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I actually would be surprised if they went modern. Me thinks they're going back to a Mahler-style type of program in hopes of securing the second OGM. They tried doing dramatic and didn't work out for them.

Both teams probably won't go too far out of their comfort zone, not with an OGM on the line. I can see both choosing programs that highlight their strengths, minimize their weaknesses, and plays up to the audience. Something that the crowd in Sochi can get into, something that will get them rousing to their feet if performed to the hilt.
    I know teams normally play it safe, but considering they're in a league of their own I'm not sure the same rules apply. Neither team has anything to prove or any competition to fear outside of each other.

IMO Carmen's problem wasn't because it was dramatic or sexy, in fact it being different was the only thing that made it work, Carmen wasn't as successful because:

1. They hardly changed anything about the program. They had a whole season to edit it, rework the music and transitions like Meryl and Charlie did but they didn't. The middle part still loses momentum. The only things they changed were the elements they just could not do well for whatever reason, like the spin and standing lift at the end. That type of thing might also say to the judges we aren't listening to your feedback too.
    2. They couldn't master the required elements consistently for both programs. This may have something to do with the programs being too challenging or maybe they are just having an off year. Either way the teams are to close for either team to make a mistake or have rough/sloppy patches in the program.

I think if they had done these things Carmen would have been seen as the stronger FD, Meryl and Charlie would have had the stronger SD and Worlds would have been a lot closer.

Modern doesn't have to be dramatic. I love their Pink Floyd program and it has a mellowness to it.

Upside of them training together is music can be adjusted accordingly. If one team plays it safe the other will and so on. There isn't that element of surprise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I know teams normally play it safe, but considering they're in a league of their own I'm not sure the same rules apply. Neither team has anything to prove or any competition to fear outside of each other.

IMO Carmen's problem wasn't because it was dramatic or sexy, in fact it being different was the only thing that made it work, Carmen wasn't as successful because:

1. They hardly changed anything about the program. They had a whole season to edit it, rework the music and transitions like Meryl and Charlie did but they didn't. The middle part still loses momentum. The only things they changed were the elements they just could not do well for whatever reason, like the spin and standing lift at the end. That type of thing might also say to the judges we aren't listening to your feedback too.
    2. They couldn't master the required elements consistently for both programs. This may have something to do with the programs being too challenging or maybe they are just having an off year. Either way the teams are to close for either team to make a mistake or have rough/sloppy patches in the program.

I think if they had done these things Carmen would have been seen as the stronger FD, Meryl and Charlie would have had the stronger SD and Worlds would have been a lot closer.

Modern doesn't have to be dramatic. I love their Pink Floyd program and it has a mellowness to it.

Upside of them training together is music can be adjusted accordingly. If one team plays it safe the other will and so on. There isn't that element of surprise.
    Good points. And I <3 the Pink Floyd program...I love Pink Floyd in general

Man, can the season be here already?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I kinda wish D/W would skate to the soundtrack from the film Inception, specifically "Time" with cuts from "Mind Heist" (see link below). It is a personal dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U
    I would LOVE this. There was a montage made somewhat recently for D/W to "Time," and I thought it just suited them perfectly. I'd totally be behind them, and I've been dying for them to either go Beethoven OR modern. Sigh.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast