Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    No Meryl and Charlie at WTT On the upside they will get a chance to rest.
    Where did you see that? IN has a picture of them saying that they hope to lead the Americans to victory.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Where did you see that? IN has a picture of them saying that they hope to lead the Americans to victory.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49113&type=media
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post

Never mind…I just saw the new one.
    I agree. They do need a break. This has been quite a season and next season will be here before we even know it.
    Last edited by mollymgr; 03-20-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    My ideal Olympic FD for D/W would be something that starts off soft, to showcase the astounding improvements in finesse they've made since the last Olympics. They're not the same team as in 2010. The finer areas of their skating - posture, lines, fluidity, control, chemistry - all have improved so much since POTO. Then the music gradually builds until the last minute or two is just crazy fast and aggressive, balls-to-the-wall, tearing around the rink. They can pull off a piece of music that builds to one big climax at the end because D/W never make mistakes. Classical music is a must and no more than 2 music cuts. Those are my stipulations.

A little sad we won't see them at WTT, it's such a fun event, but getting as much of a head start on their Olympic programs seems crucial. Or a break.
    Last edited by literaryfreak; 03-20-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: forgot the "the" in balls-to-the-wall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    My ideal Olympic FD for D/W would be something that starts off soft, to showcase the astounding improvements in finesse they've made since the last Olympics. The finer areas of their skating - posture, lines, fluidity, control, chemistry - all have improved tenfold since POTO. Then the music gradually builds until the last minute is just crazy fast and aggressive, balls-to-wall, tearing around the rink. They can pull off a piece of music that builds to one big climax at the end because D/W never make mistakes. Classical music is a must and no more than 2 music cuts. Those are my stipulations.

A little sad we won't see them at WTT, it's such a fun event, but getting as much of a head start on their Olympic programs seems crucial. Or a break.
    I love the classical idea!! Your description sounds great!

vCash
    Kind of reminds me Sampson and Delilah... that would be awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    My ideal Olympic FD for D/W would be something that starts off soft, to showcase the astounding improvements in finesse they've made since the last Olympics. They're not the same team as in 2010. The finer areas of their skating - posture, lines, fluidity, control, chemistry - all have improved so much since POTO. Then the music gradually builds until the last minute or two is just crazy fast and aggressive, balls-to-wall, tearing around the rink. They can pull off a piece of music that builds to one big climax at the end because D/W never make mistakes. Classical music is a must and no more than 2 music cuts. Those are my stipulations.
    I concur with your stipulations. I'll add to them- Beethoven. Seriously. And outside choreography, or at least a lot of input from Alex Wong.

ETA: Another stipulation to echo others with: NO Sinatra. I love him, I really do. But I don't want to hear anything him in either of D/W's programs. No no no.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 03-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.

vCash
    I actually really enjoy Sinatra ... But would not want him for an Olympic season program for my favorite team! Actually this happens a lot with music for me .... I love listening to les miserables, phantom of the opera, swan lake, but am always disappointed when I learn of a favorite skater using that music for skating. Not sure what the disconnect there is for me.

Beethoven would be fabulous! Maybe something by Rachmaninov? What do you all think ... Story oriented or something more abstract?

vCash
    I actually wrote to them to suggest a free dance based on Balanchine's La Sonnambula ( also an opera by Bellini although the ballet's score is by Rieti, based on various Bellini themes). I think it would be so stunning - and it would suit their hair to a T. Of course it would be a huge challenge to translate this concept into the intricate, speedy, and propless partnering of ice dance, but great choreographers can rise to a challenge. It would put them in Klimova/Ponomarenko territory.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1LpmL...%3D1LpmL_NeiAU

Anyway, they didn't answer, so I'm not holding my breath.

vCash
    It would be nice to have a behind the scenes look at the whole music/costume selection process. Of course, this is wishful thinking on my part, considering the fact that skating barely gets a chance to appear on TV. I guess one good thing about the Olympic season, is that skating gets more coverage than a regular season.

vCash
    Add another vote for Beethoven!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Thought I'd post this in the D/W thread: Jenny and Dave on the dance competition.

I agree with them that Meryl, in particular, seems like almost machine-like in her ability to train and deliver.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I can't believe we have about a six month wait to find out their music. I'm sure it will fly by and then I'll be wishing we could go back to Worlds again because HOLY MOLY THE OLYMPICS ARE BACK. How did that happen??

vCash
    I'd rather have Sinatra than Beethoven! Beethoven almost always dwarfs figure skating IMHO. Johnny's My Way is one of his most wonderful programs (albeit an exhibition). But this is a vote against Beethoven (for skating!), not for Sinatra. I lived in Hoboken and have heard enough Sinatra to last me a lifetime, except for Johnny's My Way and New York, New York when the Yankees win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'd rather have Sinatra than Beethoven! Beethoven almost always dwarfs figure skating IMHO. Johnny's My Way is one of his most wonderful programs (albeit an exhibition). But this is a vote against Beethoven (for skating!), not for Sinatra. I lived in Hoboken and have heard enough Sinatra to last me a lifetime, except for Johnny's My Way and New York, New York when the Yankees win.
    I could be wrong but the likelihood of it being Sinatra is slim to none. Once they discard a certain program, it has never come back. Sinatra will rest in peace along with La Strada and Amelie in the Canton program graveyard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    I can't believe we have about a six month wait to find out their music. I'm sure it will fly by and then I'll be wishing we could go back to Worlds again because HOLY MOLY THE OLYMPICS ARE BACK. How did that happen??
    Good question! You kind of have to hate the Olympics because they make you aware that you've gotten older... again

vCash
    I would love to see them skate to Beethoven's 9th with a huge, bombastic final minute.

Sad that we won't get to see the programs another time--and in Japan where they are beloved. Strategically, though, it makes perfect sense to skip it. Hope Chock and Bates throw it down.

vCash
    ^ Mollymgr - Oh, I know. I was just using Sinatra to express how much I didn't want Beethoven.

I know - they should skate to Mahler!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    One of the best things about the Olympic season - the media summit photo shoots! I'm already looking forward to more adorable pics like we had last time.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    I think next season Meryl should wear the style of dress she often wore for the "Someone Like You" exhibition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYoyoRFf1MA). I thought it looked beautiful on her, and I think it would work nicely with classical music.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast