Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Yeah I keep trying to imagine a jaunty, award winning Sinatra program...and failing. Thank goodness Meryl came up with a great idea for plan B.

Afterlife
    vCash
    What is the theme for next seasons SD? I just realised I completely missed reading about it.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    What is the theme for next seasons SD? I just realised I completely missed reading about it.
    The pattern is the Finnstep. I think the choices are quickstep, foxtrot, and charleston.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    What is the theme for next seasons SD?
    Details are in this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...l-Requirements
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So long as they do not use Happy Feet for it, I'll be happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I'm scratching my head. The ubers on the V/M thread are talking about the US's 'aggressive PR strategy' that they believe was the reason why D/W won 2013 Worlds. Some are even claiming that the US paid off the judges. Where has anyone seen any aggressive PR campaign on D/W's behalf by anyone, least of all USFS, which hasn't placed much value on ice dancing? Wagner has gotten more PR play than anyone, and that didn't lead to a medal.

Of course from their point of view, it couldn't possibly have been skill and a great performance that made D/W World Champions. Denial is a powerful emotion.
    There are times when I think that a psychiatrist would have a field day with some of the comments that are out in that thread. A lot of the thinking is delusional and could be labeled what I like to call "Folie-a -17". The formal classificaiton is Folie a Due in whihc the caretaker or someone close to a deranged person actually picks up the delusional system of the deranged person. However, this affects far more individuals in this case. I also think that a sociologist would also find this interesting.

Regardig the number of threads/tweets associated with the V&M ubers, I don't have to even go into the thread to ready them to understand the underlying dynamic. They are employing the philosophy that if you believe something hard enough, it makes it so.
    Last edited by sk9tingfan; 03-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    I agree. I enjoy V/M's skating. I believe them to be excellent ice dancers and worthy of their OGM, but reading some of the comments on their thread reminds me too much of the old Sasha ubers (which I used to be, so I should know) or a certain forum meant for Kwan fans.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Meryl and Charlie speak in this USFSA video for the Family Tree giving program.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Just watched the Gala and I like that they also work on improving parts of this program. There are subtle changes here and there. And how about those swoony slow motion replay of all the, er, swoony parts? I swear that he looks like he really wants to kiss her at the end...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    There are times when I think that a psychiatrist would have a field day with some of the comments that are out in that thread. <rest snipped>
    I don't think this post was necessary in this thread. Of course you're entitled to think so if you want, but why post it publicly?

DORISPULASKI, I didn't get the impression that the 2013 Worlds highlights/lowlights were listed in any particular order in the Icenetwork article and were meant to slight D/W's tremendous accomplishment in any shape or form.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I don't like commentating on others' mental health as well so if we can keep comments like that out of the thread, it would be appreciated.

So much of my joy from D&W winning Worlds has been hampered and that's because I feel like I can't just enjoy the performances. I enjoyed DW, VM, WP, etc etc. Sometimes I long for the days when I didn't follow ice dancing.

vCash
    Coming out of lurkdom to: Whee for D&W! They skated tremendously all season and crowned it with the WC title. Congrats!

About the rivalry with V&M: I don't think the extreme fractions of the fan divide do either of those teams justice. But isn't that the nature of uberdom? "My faves are always perfect, how dare you say anything against them! And those evil skaters that won against my faves are clearly evil untalented no-good hacks and they obviously only won because the judging was rigged in their favour!!!" I don't think that aspect of fandom will ever change LOL ...

IMO V&M at their best are smoother and more fluent than D&W and they have better posture and extensions (D&W are constantly improving on those things, but they'll probably never catch up in these aspects). I find D&W more powerful and sharper in their execution of technique and movements. And since I prefer that style of ice dancing and find it more exciting I'm a fan of Meryl and Charlie. Someone who prefers elegance and smoothness might like Tessa and Scott better. Though I have to admit, reading the implication in various forums by some of V&M fans that obviously only unwashed plebeians could ever like D&W better, since they're too ignorant to properly appreciate V&M's sophistication is rather grating. I liked Grishuk and Platov better than Krylova Ovsiannikov and Usova/Zhulin as well. I appreciate what K&O and U/Z were doing, I just like G&P more. It's a style preference when I watch ice dancing.

Was a bit skeptical about the FD at the beginning of the season, but by Worlds it had grown on me. And they certainly performed it spectacularly well. Their OD was fantastic, best in the field by some margin IMO. I hope they really bring it for the Oly season. But I do have nightmares that Zoueva gives them or V&M "Moonlight Sonata", Tchaikovsky R&J, Vocalise, Villa-Lobos, Barber of Seville, George Gershwin etc. with eerily similar music cuts that G&G or Katia Gordeeva already used...Well, hopefully I'm wrong and just being paranoid.
    Last edited by Katha; 03-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Personally, I would love to see D/W skate to something along the lines of their "Eleanor Rigby" free dance and to see V/M skate to "Night on Bald Mountain."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I agree. I enjoy V/M's skating. I believe them to be excellent ice dancers and worthy of their OGM, but reading some of the comments on their thread reminds me too much of the old Sasha ubers (which I used to be, so I should know) or a certain forum meant for Kwan fans.
    I agree. No ice dancing team is perfect. Everyone has their flaws, their weaknesses and that includes both V/M and D/W. I admit to perusing the other thread because I actually enjoy V/M but the vitriol towards D/W is unreal. I don't mind critiques of D/W's skating as I don't think they're perfect. I love critiquing and comparing techniques, choreography, performances, lifts, etc--to me that's enjoyable. But the attacks on their physical appearance or personal lives have no place.

Back to D/W, what I have enjoyed is watching their growth. I keep going back to their FDs from 5 years ago until now and the improvements are phenomenal. I am noticing is how much work Meryl has put in holding her free leg in a "strong" position (I don't know the proper terms). I am noticing the work that Charlie has put in to manage his speed, put more emphasis on sustained arm movement so its not frantic. Their lines have DEFINITELY improved. I am noticing an effort at better showing that connection between themselves to the audience. I feel there was always a connection, its just a matter of showing everyone else.

Each team will always have their weaknesses--it's just a matter of working at those weaknesses to the best of their abilities. I have seen that in D/W and I look forward to seeing even more. I'm kinda hoping we'll get to see more choreography that involves edgework like that spiral in Notre Dame. To those who say they have issues holding an edge, put on some glasses and take another look at that sequence. It is gorgeous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katha View Post
    IMO V&M at their best are smoother and more fluent than D&W and they have better posture and extensions.
    hmm I'm a little skeptical on this one. I think V/M were defiantly more fluent in the years leading up to '10 Olympics, but now it seems like they're slowly losing that aspect and as Dave and Jen pointed out, their posture is not as great as it use to be. But hey that's my opinion.

Was a bit skeptical about the FD at the beginning of the season, but by Worlds it had grown on me. And they certainly performed it spectacularly well. Their OD was fantastic, best in the field by some margin IMO. I hope they really bring it for the Oly season. But I do have nightmares that Zoueva gives them or V&M "Moonlight Sonata", Tchaikovsky R&J, Vocalise, Villa-Lobos, Barber of Seville, George Gershwin etc. with eerily similar music cuts that G&G or Katia Gordeeva already used...Well, hopefully I'm wrong and just being paranoid.
    Yep. Sometimes I don't understand how they lost the SD (Esp. in PCS) to V/m. That program was soo creative and intricate and unique and ughh i can go on... But i really hope that D/W don't use Sinasnooze or full out ballet program next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post

Back to D/W, what I have enjoyed is watching their growth. I keep going back to their FDs from 5 years ago until now and the improvements are phenomenal. I am noticing is how much work Meryl has put in holding her free leg in a "strong" position (I don't know the proper terms). I am noticing the work that Charlie has put in to manage his speed, put more emphasis on sustained arm movement so its not frantic. Their lines have DEFINITELY improved. I am noticing an effort at better showing that connection between themselves to the audience. I feel there was always a connection, its just a matter of showing everyone else.

Each team will always have their weaknesses--it's just a matter of working at those weaknesses to the best of their abilities. I have seen that in D/W and I look forward to seeing even more. I'm kinda hoping we'll get to see more choreography that involves edgework like that spiral in Notre Dame. To those who say they have issues holding an edge, put on some glasses and take another look at that sequence. It is gorgeous
    This.
    Last edited by Jiazumi; 03-20-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: i suck at editing

vCash
    Kaffeine, if I could rep you for that post,I totally would. Someone do it for me?

I'm thrilled for D/W, not only for the win but for the outstanding season they had. And for the progress they've made. They really are not the same team they were in Vancouver. They're absolutely not perfect- there are still aspects of their skating/dancing I'd love to see them improve. But the level that they've risen to is unreal in comparison to where they were before.

I still hope to see more creative music choice, more creative and complex choreography (WITH ENTIRELY NEW STEP SEQUENCES), and mostly to see them continue to enjoy what they're doing. Hearing that they may well stay on after Sochi is exciting, because I still don't think they're anywhere near done developing. I truly think this has been a "diamond in the rough" team, and they can only continue to become polished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    I truly think this has been a "diamond in the rough" team, and they can only continue to become polished.
    Amen! I can't wait to see what's next!!

vCash
    Is it time to discuss the possible music choices yet? yay!

I would love, love, love them to go back and do something Eleanor Rigby style, something modern, a little dark and mysterious. Personally I'd love some violin music, at least for a part of the program. I totally loved Amodio's FS music this year, and I don't know how sth like this would fit ice dancing, but I would love them to do something similar.

However, don't know how being risky and doing something innovative will pay off in the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    DORISPULASKI, I didn't get the impression that the 2013 Worlds highlights/lowlights were listed in any particular order in the Icenetwork article and were meant to slight D/W's tremendous accomplishment in any shape or form.
    Then they should not have been numbered,or perhaps should have had a caveat, "in no particular order."

The journalists, are of course, entitled to have their favorites, and list them in whatever order they want, but when they are writing for IN, a USFSA wholly owned subsidiary, IN should at least take out the numbers and insert the caveat.

My problem isn't with Lynn & Amy; it's with IN and USFSA. If US skaters can't rely on their fed to at least publicy support them, they aren't doing their job.

vCash
    No Meryl and Charlie at WTT On the upside they will get a chance to rest.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast