Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1002
  1. #921
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,703
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It will be a very sad day in US figure skating when Davis & White hang it up and retire. No only are they the greatest Ice Dancers in US history but they have been great role models and leaders.

  2. #922

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,855
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10722
    Absolutely true. I'm already missing them, just thinking about it.

  3. #923
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    After all, V&M have been repeating the same pair spin for years more than Meryl & Charlie have been repeating either lifts or for that matter twizzles.But is it really worthwhile to spend that much time on it, since fans whose fandom depends on denigrating their nonfavorites can always make up a reason that the unloved team is lower than whale shite on the bottom of the ocean.
    IMO the notion that every move in ice dance needs to be original every year is really outdated, anyway, and the folks criticizing either team for keeping a successful move need to go back and study the not-really-new-anymore rulebook.

    The adoption of the current judging system was a real watershed moment for dance, and IMO the introduction of required elements should have made obsolete the notion that every step in a dance needed to be original every year. Do folks criticize pairs for doing the same jumps and spins from year to year or some of the same overhead lifts? Surely no one complains when a singles skater uses the same 3-3 combination or same fw into triple jump in both the SP and FS or in multiple years. So why should it be any different for ice dancers? I can see that sometimes a particular lift may look quite ballroom and not work so well in a salsa program or look tango-y and not work in a quick step program, but a lot of lifts would work just fine with different music. The same is true of spins and twizzles. As long as V/M's spin or D/W's lift looks right with the music, then what is wrong with using a good move again?

    Yes, one of the Program Components includes originality, but it is also there for pairs and singles. So really, according to the scoring system, originality is today no more valued in dance than any other discipline and is not valued much in any of them (as only one consideration among 8 or 9 in the Composition/Choreography mark). Besides, elements apart, there is still plenty of choreo left to be creative in.
    Last edited by Susan M; 08-07-2013 at 10:42 PM.

  4. #924

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,855
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10722
    All true, and a good comment.

    Besides, if you can't repeat something, how can you have a "signature move". I certainly would have hated to only see Arakawa's stunning Ina Bauer or Michelle Kwain's wonderful Change of Edge Spiral for one season only.

    Sometimes I want seconds.

  5. #925

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    All true, and a good comment.

    Besides, if you can't repeat something, how can you have a "signature move". I certainly would have hated to only see Arakawa's stunning Ina Bauer or Michelle Kwain's wonderful Change of Edge Spiral for one season only.

    Sometimes I want seconds.
    Hear hear! I loved D/W "Helicopter" rotational lift that has been a feature of their last two FDs. Visually stunning and timed wonderfully to the music.

  6. #926

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,144
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    If you haven't caught on already, it is the same handful of people repeating endlessly that D/W are repeating every thing. Just because they show up on Facebook, twitter, forums, blogs, Youtube etc. in different guises doesn't mean there are more of them. We know how much some people love to post just on FSU alone.
    You know when it is getting this bad and they have to write the same crap everywhere to make themselves feel better, it is definitely a good sign.

    Marina has taken the secrecy to another level this season. I'm just afraid that this season is going to pick up some crazy speed once it gets going and be over before we know it. I just want to enjoy it to the fullest.

  7. #927

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    If you haven't caught on already, it is the same handful of people repeating endlessly that D/W are repeating every thing. Just because they show up on Facebook, twitter, forums, blogs
    :
    I guess they think if they post enough times, ISU will see it and act all like "BE GONE Davis and White for thou has trampled on thy sacred ground that is V/M!"

    Sorry I just had a white chocolate macademia nut cheesecake after working/going to school for 10 hours and I'm just a *touch* hyper

    I am kinda surprised about the secrecy with regards to the music. I can understand the technical things like lifts, spins, etc being secretive..but the music? There aren't levels for music choices.

    On another note, I would like to create a music video with Davis/White clips set to Daft Punk's Lose Yourself to Dance. Some of you have done videos before..what software would you recommend?

  8. #928

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,078
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    Great comments on here, guys! I absolutely hate that tired (and untrue) criticism from non-fans of DW that they have done the same program for years. As you said, mollymgr, we should just consider the source and keep moving on. I just have to wonder if they really aren't watching the programs...when I think of the many great moves they have done from the swoop lift and back camel spin in 2009, the flip over and stand on Charlie's bent leg going backwards, the helicopter lift and the jump spin (from Notre Dame), that beautiful facing spiral, just to mention a few. Add in their amazing speed and flow and unison and most of all the fact that their work ethic has reached legendary status, imo, and well, it's easy for me to see why they have fans who adore them. Its also easy for me to see why VM ubers are so critical of DW, just look at the rivalry record and you'll know that not only do they feel threatened but its going to be quite a fight for the gold whether they want to admit it or not. Its going to be an amazing Olympic event.

    I'm worried, too, mollymgr, that the season is going to go by too quickly. The last Olympics don't seem that long ago to me but then again its amazing how much Meryl and Charlie have improved since then and I can't wait to see what they have for us this season. I just hope they have a great time this season!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  9. #929
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You guys have all said it so well. I'm not such a Davis and White uber that I can't appreciate Tessa's edges. V/M are wonderfully smooth, it's why Mahler came off so beautifully instead of falling flat (at least in my opinion). So I don't understand why people have such a hard time admitting that D/W have the smoothest most difficult spins I have ever seen...in ice dance or in pairs. Every year they make the twizzles more difficult. It's not just the jumps, but the holds and twists right before they enter them. No other team can manage it. They've cleaned up their edges, so they're not only fast, but they're clean. Meryl has freaking surgical precision, which allows them to respond to every note in the music they're skating to. We always hear about V/M musicality, but D/W have amazing musicality as well. I've never seen V/M do a waltz like they have. V/M have a heavier, jazzier feel to their steps and it's not bad. It's all good. It's variation. I guess we can type till their blue in the face and it won't change anyone's mind though.

  10. #930

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,144
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    when I think of the many great moves they have done from the swoop lift and back camel spin in 2009, the flip over and stand on Charlie's bent leg going backwards, the helicopter lift and the jump spin (from Notre Dame), that beautiful facing spiral, just to mention a few. Add in their amazing speed and flow and unison and most of all the fact that their work ethic has reached legendary status, imo, and well, it's easy for me to see why they have fans who adore them. Its also easy for me to see why VM ubers are so critical of DW, just look at the rivalry record and you'll know that not only do they feel threatened but its going to be quite a fight for the gold whether they want to admit it or not. Its going to be an amazing Olympic event.

    I'm worried, too, mollymgr, that the season is going to go by too quickly. The last Olympics don't seem that long ago to me but then again its amazing how much Meryl and Charlie have improved since then and I can't wait to see what they have for us this season. I just hope they have a great time this season!
    It has been an awesome journey with so many memorable programs. I'm so excited about this season.
    USFS posted pictures from past Champs Camps.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8026341&type=1

  11. #931

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    777
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3147
    I can't find Charlie in '07.

  12. #932

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,078
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    I can't find Charlie in '07.
    I couldn't either! I thought "is he taking the picture?"
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  13. #933

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,144
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I couldn't either! I thought "is he taking the picture?"
    It is possible. They didn't have official shirts for that year either.

  14. #934
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    IMO the notion that every move in ice dance needs to be original every year is really outdated, anyway, and the folks criticizing either team for keeping a successful move need to go back and study the not-really-new-anymore rulebook.
    Exactly. V/M have come up with some original moves, which I admire them for. But there are no points awarded if the lift/spin/whatever has been done before, only for its difficulty. Originality would be impossible to judge. It's easy to police when comparing V/M-D/W, because everything they do is under a microscope, hashed out and compared to each other ad nauseum. What if there were actually points awarded for lifts/spins that are brand new every season? Let's talk about this realistically.

    What if a team claimed to be the first, they got points for it, and then it's discovered later that they weren't the first but some other lesser team had done it in a B competition? Then a team could have their placements adjusted post-competition if the move was believed to be original but wasn't really. Picture it - V/M's 2014 gold medal could be revoked in 2200 when someone finds an attic photo of Karl Schafer and Sonia Henie goofing off in practice, performing a move that was currently believed to be a V/M original. The originality that was the sole determining factor in vaulting V/M over D/W for the 2014 gold medal would then be in question and D/W would posthumously become Olympic champions.

    And when is the cut-off? Each season? Each career? How would the move's originality be proven? Would a youtube link of the team performing the move in practice have to be submitted along with the Planned Program Content sheet? Then the youtube link would have to be taken by an ISU Research Assistant, and painstakingly compared to every move in the Library of Skating Moves, with Dartfish, to make sure it has never been done before. The deadline for competitions would have to be doubly extended.

    It would be really interesting to expect teams to constantly be inventing moves for them to get enough points to win competitions. The skaters would have to have their own Mosely/Dorsey skating rinks, or practice in the middle of the night. Skating during normal freestyle sessions would become a thing of the past. If points were awarded for inventing moves, skaters would not only need to practice with bluetooth headsets but bluetooth googles so nobody could see what lift they are working on, lest they become the second one to do it and not get points for it. Careers would be on the line. The secrecy would be ruthless.

    Even in freeskating, extra points aren't awarded for original moves, like Courtney Hicks' amazing spin, it just gets the normal number of features and some oohs and ahhs from the audience. Is Courtney Hicks the greatest skater of all time because she came up with something new? Why not? She should be getting 50 extra points per performance! Not every skater can do that spin. Should she be the Olympic champion?

    People usually invent moves so that it will be named after them or they will be the first in the history books, not because they expect the move alone to leapfrog them over every other requirement and have it be rewarded a disproportionate number of points. Everyone can appreciate a new lift or spin from any dance team, not just V/M. But realistically and accurately, where and how would that be marked in the scores?

    (Ok, now V/M fans on a shall-remain-unnamed forum (not FSU), you may now commence parsing and paraphrasing my above post within 10 minutes of it being posted. It's rather hilarious to watch this happen. And.... Go!)

  15. #935

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post

    (Ok, now V/M fans on a shall-remain-unnamed forum (not FSU), you may now commence parsing and paraphrasing my above post within 10 minutes of it being posted. It's rather hilarious to watch this happen. And.... Go!)
    Hm, wonder which place you are referring to. The one that either provides me with hours of entertainment or makes me at the conspiracy theories.

    I wish more people could appreciate both teams and what they have brought to the sport.

  16. #936

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,855
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10722
    NBC Sports has to be the most boneheaded organization ever. Well, they did recognize that Meryl and Charlie were US athletes to watch in Sochi, but they have their names as Charlie Davis! & Meryl White NK
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figu...athletes-watch

    This article has an absolutely amazing number of factual errors. You'd think it was something written for the Onion as a spoof of really bad sports reporting.

  17. #937
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    NBC Sports has to be the most boneheaded organization ever. Well, they did recognize that Meryl and Charlie were US athletes to watch in Sochi, but they have their names as Charlie Davis! & Meryl White NK
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figu...athletes-watch

    This article has an absolutely amazing number of factual errors. You'd think it was something written for the Onion as a spoof of really bad sports reporting.
    ...I kept reading each athlete's blurb and it got worse and worse and worse. Everything is wrong.

  18. #938

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32295
    But, "they train in the same gym in Michigan as their rivals."

    The quality of writing (in addition to the poor grasp of facts) is just atrocious.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  19. #939
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    OMG, this blooper by NBC sports once again proves the point that Meryl and Charlie are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of skating.

  20. #940

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    837
    That blooper is hysterical. Really dumb but hysterical. I'm sure Meryl and Charlie would get a kick out of it.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •