Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Provided we don't already know their FD music, I suppose. But I can totally see why they'd want to keep it under wraps until champs camp. They aren't the only dance team to have been told to ditch a program by USFSA. Sometimes I wish we could see all the programs USFSA didn't like to see if we agree.
    I think we're in for a real treat if Derek Hough was the one who choreographed the SD.

Love this Quickstep that he does with Shawn Johnson..perhaps with a different ending of course :lol

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    If anyone wasn't convinced before that Marina is certifiably insane.....
    Why would the skaters wear bluetooth wireless headphones?

vCash
    Why would the skaters wear bluetooth wireless headphones?
    So they can hear the music but no one else can.

Something tells me that if V/M or D/W continue past Sochi, they my find themselves training in an underground bunker...built by Marina.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    As far as V/M's music goes, I love Muskrat Ramble. Such a good traditional jazz song. Full on New Orleans.

And I really like the sound of the direction Marina chose for Meryl and Charlie's SD. I figured we'd have to wait until Champs Camp to find out anything for certain, alas.

vCash
    The idea of them doing all their training with earphones so nobody else knows what they are doing is kind of

It makes sense not to reveal their programs prior to Champs Camp; after all, they were made to change programs twice before.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 08-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.

vCash
    So true. That must have been one quiet rink.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Michelle Kwan is going to be a television analyst for Fox for the Olympics.
    There is a sentence in the article that states Interviews with world champion ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White also are in the works.
    Great!!

vCash
    The idea of them doing all their training with earphones so nobody else knows what they are doing is kind of
    Wouldn't that also let all the skaters hear their own music at the same time, instead of having to take turns?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    So true. That must have been one quiet rink.

True

Insanity and genius go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Wouldn't that also let all the skaters hear their own music at the same time, instead of having to take turns?
    There is a way to pair headphones by password protecting them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Given how curious all of us uber fans are, I think it is understandable. I also thought it probably let them do choreography and work on their programs without having to "wait their turn" for the music. That can really slow things down when there are more than a handful of skaters doing that type of work simultaneously during the "program building" phase of the season. Sounds pretty smart to me in that regard. Like being able to wear your own headphones at the gym.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    So they can hear the music but no one else can.

Something tells me that if V/M or D/W continue past Sochi, they my find themselves training in an underground bunker...built by Marina.
    Oh I see. That's definitely sneaky. Although I have skated with headphones and it's not comfortable. Having the music that close to your ears seems to throw off equilibrium a bit.

vCash
    In the P&B Go to Shpilband thread, there is a new interview. They will be doing the Salt Lake Senior B, along with Meryl & Charlie.

vCash
    Yet another reason to wish I could go. I may start weeping.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Given how curious all of us uber fans are, I think it is understandable. I also thought it probably let them do choreography and work on their programs without having to "wait their turn" for the music. That can really slow things down when there are more than a handful of skaters doing that type of work simultaneously during the "program building" phase of the season. Sounds pretty smart to me in that regard. Like being able to wear your own headphones at the gym.
    It could be helpful, but it sounds like the reason for the headphones wasn't convenience but secrecy. I guess I don't get the need for all the hush hush.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    It could be helpful, but it sounds like the reason for the headphones wasn't convenience but secrecy. I guess I don't get the need for all the hush hush.
    I agree. Especially since they train with their top rivals ... Unless Marina has them keeping the music secret from each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    I agree. Especially since they train with their top rivals ... Unless Marina has them keeping the music secret from each other.
    That would be really messed up if that were so but stranger things have happened... let the Olympic pre-season begin. ayyyeeee!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Looks like the wait for program music news will continue a while longer :

Source is article about V/M's music selections: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Ugh, the comments on that article . I do like the Louis Armstrong choices. It's pretty hard to be unhappy while listening to cheek to cheek...well played V/M.

Like others have said, Champs Camp seems to have a lot more veto power than the Canadian version. I wouldn't want to give the impression that the season got started off on the wrong foot during an Olympic year...though we got Die Fledermaus last time, so maybe it's not such a bad idea :p.

vCash
    Ugh, the comments on that article .
    I know Especially the one about D/W doing the same program for the past five seasons.

Honestly, if people are going to criticize them, I would prefer something with more artistry and connection, maybe with some modern touches. Rehashing comments from the past five years just isn't creative in my book. I prefer my negative comments to be classy, like fine cheddar, not like some yucky Kraft single

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Rehashing comments from the past five years just isn't creative in my book.
    Perfect response.

Since Doris has been really amazing to point out how creative D/W are with their OD/SD choices and we hardly need a reminder that Bollywood and Giselle are nothing alike... let's take a look at their FD choices. For some reason people seem to think they've been identical... when the last three years have been nothing alike at all: Tango, Fledermaus, Notre Dame. Could they be more different? Notre Dame was their first sweeping dramatic story since the last Olympics.

Then we have Polovtsian Dances, Eleanor Rigby, Samson & Delilah, and POTO. The only similarity is that three of these are dramatic/theatrical in tone.

For me it's like... how many other teams and skaters use a lot of dramatic pieces? And what's wrong with it? I still connect to all of that music. Meryl and Charlie have a gift for musicality that has moved audiences across the globe. They don't rest on Samson & Delilah. They improve their choreography and change their lifts (despite this somehow not being noticed just because they repeated one recently... like every other team in the world), adding nuances and taking advantage of the material. That spiral in Notre Dame? Glorious.

Ballet companies use the same set of dramatic favorites every reason, nestled between more experimental and contemporary pieces. People haven't stopped attending Swan Lake, Mayerling, Manon, Romeo & Juliet... Music can be familiar, tones can be familiar and the performance and choreography still inspiring and wonderful.

I mean, V/M are skating to Louis Armstrong and very popular jazz standards in their SD. They're standards for a reason--everyone knows them and everyone knows Louis Armstrong. But they are awesome songs that I love to listen to repeatedly. With regard to repetition, Fred Astaire sang a famous version of Cheek to Cheek and Scott played Fred in their Funny Face FD. Similar? Repetitive? Hardly. And who cares, anyway, because it's great music.

But anything D/W choose will be lambasted. I still can't believe this meme about their repetitive twizzles and lifts stuck. They repeated their split lift this season and suddenly they've been doing everything the same all along? I was unaware that every team dramatically changes their twizzles and lifts every single season. Please no one tell Lynn and Logan because if they stop doing their pendulum lift I will actually throw a tantrum.

vCash
    Should we do a skill by skill check of what repeats from year to year? After all, V&M have been repeating the same pair spin for years more than Meryl & Charlie have been repeating either lifts or for that matter twizzles.But is it really worthwhile to spend that much time on it, since fans whose fandom depends on denigrating their nonfavorites can always make up a reason that the unloved team is lower than whale shite on the bottom of the ocean.

As to doing the same twizzles, for crying outloud, why does no one notice the differences in entrance and exits they have used, even between SD & FD Two jumps, ballet leaps, Meryl spinning under Charlie's arm while they hold hands (Giselle...and just yummy), etc. etc. They do this because when the rules last changed on twizzles, you had 3 choices to get level four:
    1. Do both twizzles on the same foot (with the usual upper & lower body variations). Neither V&M nor D&W have ever picked this option.
    2. Do 3 sets of twizzles. This allows you to look good twizzling twice in your favored direction and deemphasize your weak direction in the second set. V&M have consistently chosen this option since the change (BTW Meryl & Charlie had done 3 twizzle sets-they used them in Polovtsian Dances, AFAIR, just not lately)
    3. Do 2 sets, but with a creative/difficult entry, which has been Meryl & Charlie's choice since the rule change. So their variations have been in entries, year to year and program to program. The one thing they seem to do the same is to do the footgrab in one set of twizzles. Since speed of rotation is graded, it makes sense to do to lower body variation that gives faster rotational speed; in other words, the one that reduces your moment of rotational inertia by keeping your body parts as close as possible to the axis of rotation.

And yes, I agree that D&W's FD's have variety, but their SD's are ground breaking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Should we do a skill by skill check of what repeats from year to year? After all, V&M have been repeating the same pair spin for years more than Meryl & Charlie have been repeating either lifts or for that matter twizzles.But is it really worthwhile to spend that much time on it, since fans whose fandom depends on denigrating their nonfavorites can always make up a reason that the unloved team is lower than whale shite on the bottom of the ocean.

And yes, I agree that D&W's FD's have variety, but their SD's are ground breaking
    Edited to add: Their SDs are amazing. Bollywood for a Folk Dance. Giselle for a Yankee Polka. Completely out of the box. I guess that's why a small part of me hoping for a Latin quickstep or perhaps the FD rumor of Schez to be the SD. THAT would be really cool.

Here's the thing that I struggle with. I enjoy new lifts, new elements, new spins, etc as much as anyone. It makes the season fresh and exciting. But is ice dancing the only sport where fans admonish those who use the same element? I can't think of any sport--even something in the artistic realm like gymnastics where it is looked down upon. A team spends hours, weeks, MONTHS even perfecting a new skill, timing it perfectly..getting it into their muscle memory only to "throw it away" at the end of a season. The analyst in me screams "That is not efficient!"

Davis and White will continue to be trashed because they are now neck and neck with V/M for every title. Neither team can rest their laurels and that makes this rivalry so exciting! BTW, I was looking at D/W's FDs from 2007-2009 and you know, I do agree that they were frantic, their speed was to the point where Charlie would lose control of an edge and they didn't finish off their elements as nicely. Meryl's leg line even frustrated me I wasn't upset/mad/teary/whatever when they "only" got the Olympic silver in 2010; I agreed with the result. I felt like "they're close but not there yet."

They're there now. They're actually a tad slower (IMO) than in 2008 because they finish their elements off better, their edges have improved. They take their time. Meryl's leg line is much improved; will it ever match Tessa's? Probably not but guess what, she's improved to the point where her strengths cancel out that weakness. And that scares some fans. The audacity to improve! So instead, they go on and on and on and on (and on and on and on ) about Davis and White now do everything the same.

Davis and White are still hunting...they don't have an Olympic gold and they just keep improving much to the chagrin of others. Keep it up guys
    Last edited by Kaffeine; 08-07-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast