Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Are ice dancers now encouraged to use ballet? It used to be outright banned as it's not an inherent partner dance form.

Having just tried on some ballet costumes for a showcase in ballroom, I agree--the first Sylvia dress (with the flat skirt) could work, but when you're skating close to a partner a tutu, especially the stiff "Russian" style is just going to get in the way and close body contact with your partner crunches it down. I discovered quickly that tulle, even long, doesn't move big, and in skating you need something that just FLIES.

I'm just not into sticking ballet in ice dance (or really skating at all as in the other disciplines it's done to DEATH, and besides ballet is BALLET, it's about...well, it's about movements that you can achieve with ballet technique on a floor, it just seems like skaters copying ballet otherwise.) And I don't know about GRAND, unless the judges just reward 'deep' music, as much as they need something that just feels like THEM. Whatever they pick needs to speak to them, first and foremost. You can tell when someone/a couple genuinely loves what they're skating to. Grand or light or fun or whatever I hope they go for something that just makes them go "Yes!"
    Being a bit of a smart-ass - the "stiff" tutu is called classical, the softer one is the romantic tutu. The ballets they're used in are classified as the same, eg, Giselle is considered a romantic ballet, Swan Lake, a classical one.

As for the rest, if ice dancers are encouraged to use ballet, I haven't heard it and I kind of hope D/W don't use a ballet next season. Giselle was fantastic and it was different from the ballets previously used by other ice dancers but I feel that's kind of done and done. And I agree that ballet music is a very common choice of music for skaters!
    And while Sylvia might have nice costumes, I'm not sure the story wouldn't translate well onto the ice.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    Speaking of style, Does anyone have pictures of MC at the banquet?
    Charlie White just tweeted this photo of himself and Florent Amodio as his first Instagram photo: http://instagram.com/p/XPsf-RsT27/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Charlie White just tweeted this photo of himself and Florent Amodio as his first Instagram photo: http://instagram.com/p/XPsf-RsT27/
    So adorable! I love how Flo and Meryl are the same height next to Charlie.

vCash
    Please, does anybody have a link to victory ceremony in good quality?
    I'm close to giving up.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Icenetwork is scheduled to add 2013 Worlds videos on demand (tomorrow?) for season pass subscribers. Last year they included the awards ceremony videos from Nice, France.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you, but I'm afraid it's geoblocked.

vCash
    Well, if Charlie has magical wizard hair, how about Sorcerer's Apprentice for next season?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Great picture of Charlie. He looks so handsome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Well, if Charlie has magical wizard hair, how about Sorcerer's Apprentice for next season?
    Oh no!!! He already had a go at it one time with the ER costume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I would love a Sorcerer's Apprentice FD! I think it would absolutely suit their personalities.

I'm also thinking Mozart could be a good choice. Is anyone else familiar with his Jupiter symphony? It's been awhile since I listened to it but I remember thinking it could potentially do well as a FD piece.

vCash
    We've suggested Sorcerer's Apprentice for a while now. I don't think it's going to happen but I sure would love to see them skating to it. John Z was fabulous as the Sorcerer and I think Charlie would be great, too, with his power and speed. I. And I picture Meryl not as a helpless maiden but an apprentice Sorceress who wins over Charlie in the end. Ah well, a girl can dream!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    What about something from one of the soundtracks from the film noir movies from hollywood in the fifties ... Something from Laura or maybe a Bogart film?
    It is certainly not something done very often and it could be classic and glamorous Hollywood without being too much of a sugary musical production.

vCash
    What about something from one of the soundtracks from the film noir movies from hollywood in the fifties ... Something from Laura or maybe a Bogart film?
    It is certainly not something done very often and it could be classic and glamorous Hollywood without being too much of a sugary musical production.
    That could be interesting. I've alwaway thought that Meryl has a very old school/feme fatale look about her.

Also. if anyone has instagram, Charlie now has one!

vCash
    I'm really sad to see any part of this thread turn into a discussion of what D&W fans think of the V&M thread. Breaking down the competition is one thing, although there's no real reason for that not to be in the competition thread. But talking about the fans of another team in the thread dedicated to Meryl and Charlie is IMHO kind of ridiculous.

For one thing, it's not like V&M fans can't read what you say. They aren't locked into the V&M thread or anything. For another, it's awfully ironic to come in here and insist that "we" are classier/saner/more reasonable than "they" are when people are in here talking about it. I really wish that everyone would just take the high road here. It makes me kind of embarrassed to post here when people do that. If the V&M thread bothers you, don't read it! That's why these threads exist! If you like V&M but don't feel comfortable in the V&M thread, the competition threads and the rest of the board haven't ceased to exist.

There's no point in going into the V&M thread to try to change their minds about Meryl and Charlie just like there is no point in anyone coming in here to "defend" V&M. I'm not a mod and I can't make anyone do anything but I do feel the need to express my disappointment at that line of conversation. Our team won, they have the gold medal, they are world champions. Who cares what anyone says about them?

vCash
    Well we've moved on but I think some things needed to be said. Sorry for your disappointment, tgirl.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    It was just announced that Skate America will be held in Detroit! Meryl and Charlie must be so excited to compete in their home town.

vCash
    I am so excited that Skate America is so close to my home. I'm even more excited that Meryl and Charlie will debut their Olympic programs in their hometown. Hopefully it'll be a great start to a wonderful season for them!
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    I'm so excited for them! And half the skaters (well at least half the dance teams) won't even have to travel.

vCash
    We should get a great selection of dancers! Everyone will want to start there

These days, who doesn't train or do choreo part of the time wih either Igor, Krylova, or Zoueva?

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast