Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't think this has been linked to yet. Frida340 has uploaded the Eurosport coverage of the FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMK...Cse1Gg&index=2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    IMO Carmen's problem wasn't because it was dramatic or sexy, in fact it being different was the only thing that made it work, Carmen wasn't as successful because:

1. They hardly changed anything about the program. They had a whole season to edit it, rework the music and transitions like Meryl and Charlie did but they didn't. The middle part still loses momentum. The only things they changed were the elements they just could not do well for whatever reason, like the spin and standing lift at the end. That type of thing might also say to the judges we aren't listening to your feedback too.
    2. They couldn't master the required elements consistently for both programs.
    Sorry for replying to this here, but I just can't help but my eyes and be and .

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Tessa and Scott "hardly changed anything about the program" when they changed both of their step sequences, the last lift, the spin, and the transitions coming out of the spin and the first step sequence, is not it? No to mention that they reworked the initial dance completely in August. Yes, Meryl and Charlie reworked their music a bit more, and they reworked the beginning, but most of their elements remained the same throughout the season, except the last lift (the change to the third lift was too minor to really count). So, in my opinion, it's quite partial and not objective at all to say that Tessa Scott reworked their FD less than Meryl and Charlie. I am not saying this just because I am Tessa and Scott fan, but because I care for objectivity and an objective appraisal/assessment.

But the reason why they didn't change even more transitions, choreographic moves, and so on, was not laziness or faulty judgement, but because they had a concept and a vision about their dance, and they didn't want to compromise even more than they did in order to receive better marks. Also, what some people call "losing momentum" in the middle was a part of the story and concept. It's the part where the relationship of Carmen and Jose comes closest to love, that's why it is set to that fragment of Schedrin's suite, and that is why it's slower and more lyrical. Putting a more dramatic part of the music there, and making it faster would mean breaking down and changing the story more than they intended to. One thing that I would agree with is that the slow part looked emptier than it could be, especially with the long entry in the combination lift. But I understand that they needed a moment to rest between the first and final parts that were more intense and demanding.

As for not mastering the required elements part - it's not like Meryl and Charlie managed to get level 4 on their polka sequences and step sequences all the time. And their twizzles were not always perfect. Even at Worlds Meryl also wobbled on their twizzles in the FD a bit. It really was barely noticeable and so minor (also compared to Tessa in the SD) that they didn't lose a level for it, but I still suspect if it was Tessa or Scott in her place the level would have been lost. I must note that it was not me who noticed that minor wobble on Meryl's twizzles - it was the Latvian TV commentator (she's a figure skating professional) who likes Meryl and Charlie a lot (more than Tessa and Scott), and I noticed that it really was so only on rewatch. But that was not the point. The point is that Meryl and Charlie haven't been completely perfect throughout the season either (neither of the two teams have ever achieved that - it's simply impossible for real people), and they weren't completely perfect at Worlds, although they were a bit better than Tessa and Scott overall (not in the FD, though - there they were pretty much equal, imho).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 03-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.

vCash
    Still - congratulations to Meryl and Charlie and to all of you for the deserved win!

vCash
    The music ended up to be the only thing I didn't like about Notre Dame.
    The only thing I didn't like were the weird leather suspenders on Meryl's costume. I understand the basic Hunchback of ND story, but am not familiar with this musical. Did she ever explain what this part of the costume was about?

I wasn't that thrilled with the music, either, at first, but kind of got used to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofskate View Post
    I don't think this has been linked to yet. Frida340 has uploaded the Eurosport coverage of the FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMK...Cse1Gg&index=2
    Thanks! I've been waiting for this upload.

vCash
    ^^^^ Actually the middle section of Carmen is to Micaela's aria. In the opera, Micaela is the devoted, innocent hometown girl Don Jose should have married instead of ditching everything for that witch Carmen. The music is not about an idyllic period in Carmen and Jose's relationship, they never had one. It was sex, thievery, gambling, abandonment of duty, and trouble from the getgo. I can't help wondering if interpolating this idyllic section into the FD accounts for the loss of momentum that people have noticed. Carmen (the character) does not have a sweet side. It would have made more sense to use Jose's "La fleur que tu m'avais jetee" music because he at least did have a sweet side and initially hoped Carmen would be the girl of his dreams. Poor sod. But I don't know if that is in the Schedrin suite. It would have been interesting to see Carmen (the FD) portray that doomed, sentimental side of Jose.

vCash
    The last two flights, less Coomes & Buckland are also up.

The commentators say they can't imagine how the judges can chose between the 2 teams in the FD, but both were splendid...and indeed they were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    ^^^^ Actually the middle section of Carmen is to Micaela's aria. In the opera, Micaela is the devoted, innocent hometown girl Don Jose should have married instead of ditching everything for that witch Carmen. The music is not about an idyllic period in Carmen and Jose's relationship, they never had one. It was sex, thievery, gambling, abandonment of duty, and trouble from the getgo. I can't help wondering if interpolating this idyllic section into the FD accounts for the loss of momentum that people have noticed. Carmen (the character) does not have a sweet side. It would have made more sense to use Jose's "La fleur que tu m'avais jetee" music because he at least did have a sweet side and initially hoped Carmen would be the girl of his dreams. Poor sod. But I don't know if that is in the Schedrin suite. It would have been interesting to see Carmen (the FD) portray that doomed, sentimental side of Jose.
    Interesting...thanks for telling me that. Yeah I think that might have been nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    The last two flights, less Coomes & Buckland are also up.

The commentators say they can't imagine how the judges can chose between the 2 teams in the FD, but both were splendid...and indeed they were.
    For a second I thought they meant for 1st place overall and I was so confused.

vCash
    Sorry. I just wanted to be sure everyone knew all the last 2 flights, more or less, in British Eurosport coverage, have been uploaded by the same youtuber as the D/W link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I know that it's the version of Micaela's aria, and I know that it was not about Carmen and Jose's relationship. To tell the truth, I also don't remember if the part that you mentioned was in Schedrin's suite. But that was all I meant - they used it because it was a more lyrical part. I also agree that Carmen didn't have a sweet side, and she never loved Jose - that's why I wrote "closest to love", because I also don't believe that what Jose felt for Carmen was real love (rather a jealous and destructive obsession). There is a short moment as shown in some versions of the opera and also the actual ballet that can be interpreted as Carmen allowing her infatuation with Jose to take over her - but only for a short moment. All of which doesn't mean that Tessa/Scott, Jennifer Swan and Marina couldn't interpret it however they wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Sorry. I just wanted to be sure everyone knew all the last 2 flights, more or less, in British Eurosport coverage, have been uploaded by the same youtuber as the D/W link.
    Oh no, it had nothing to do with your comment. This was while watching the video...then they said something along the lines of they won't make up the SD lead and I got it :p.

vCash
    No matter what music choices they have in the next season, I'm fully expecting a couple of programs. I remember Tanith saying how many teams will do something contrasting in the pre-Olympic season to what they have in mind for the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I know that it's the version of Micaela's aria, and I know that it was not about Carmen and Jose's relationship. To tell the truth, I also don't remember if the part that you mentioned was in Schedrin's suite. But that was all I meant - they used it because it was a more lyrical part. I also agree that Carmen didn't have a sweet side, and she never loved Jose - that's why I wrote "closest to love", because I also don't believe that what Jose felt for Carmen was real love (rather a jealous and destructive obsession). There is a short moment as shown in some versions of the opera and also the actual ballet that can be interpreted as Carmen allowing her infatuation with Jose to take over her - but only for a short moment. All of which doesn't mean that Tessa/Scott, Jennifer Swan and Marina couldn't interpret it however they wanted.
    As the French say: Voila.

vCash
    I hadn't seen this before. at Bobrova and her missing partner. Too bad we didn't hear about the celebrations.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Fo7ufIEUL4E

vCash
    Didn't that happen to Meryl last year when Charlie had to go to drug testing? Anyway Ekaterina is adorable and her English is quite good.

vCash
    Just showed the top ten free dances to my mother in law. She only ever watches skating during the Olympics but she was in heaven watching it all tonight. Meryl and Charlie have a new fan hoping they will win the Olympics...but she also loved, well, everyone. She couldn't stop awwwwing over all the lifts and just kept talking about how much flow and "floating" meryl and Charlie had.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I kinda wish D/W would skate to the soundtrack from the film Inception, specifically "Time" with cuts from "Mind Heist" (see link below). It is a personal dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U
    I would love this so much. This or Beethoven. But I've wanted Meryl and Charlie to skate to Time for so long now.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I kinda wish D/W would skate to the soundtrack from the film Inception, specifically "Time" with cuts from "Mind Heist" (see link below). It is a personal dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U
    Only if Meryl gets to wear a tight black cat suit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    I hadn't seen this before. at Bobrova and her missing partner. Too bad we didn't hear about the celebrations.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Fo7ufIEUL4E
    They're so cute! Suddenly I feel so bad about calling their program boring...

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast