Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'd be more accepting of "live and let live"; if these "believers" didn't proselytize so fervently, in an attempt to force their beliefs on others.
    I'd be more accepting of intentional mass reproduction if its practitioners were more attractive.

vCash
    It's a return to the pre-20th century view of the purpose/position of women in society..
    I'd be more accepting of "live and let live"; if these "believers" didn't proselytize so fervently, in an attempt to force their beliefs on others.

It also disturbs me that these people don't have/are not allowed access to other information/ways of thinking; so that "choice" really does not exist for them.
    This is what bothers me. They aren't live and let live. If you are male, you have some choices, but the women have none.
    I have no problem with women or men who make the informed choice to stay home with their kids, but that is not what is happening here.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash

Re: Another Duggar baby is on the way!

It's a return to the pre-20th century view of the purpose/position of women in society..

It also disturbs me that these people don't have/are not allowed access to other information/ways of thinking; so that "choice" really does not exist for them.
    Lots of religious movements proselytize. Why does this annoy you (general you, not you specifically)? They can proselytize and we can decide to accept or reject their message. As for them getting outside information and not being able to make a "choice", I highly doubt they don't know anything about people outside their religious group. Even if they are exposed to various views, would that guarantee that they would reject the Quiverfull ideology? I don't accept their ideology but I don't get the hand wringing over it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Lots of religious movements proselytize. Why does this annoy you (general you, not you specifically)? They can proselytize and we can decide to accept or reject their message. As for them getting outside information and not being able to make a "choice", I highly doubt they don't know anything about people outside their religious group. Even if they are exposed to various views, would that guarantee that they would reject the Quiverfull ideology? I don't accept their ideology but I don't get the hand wringing over it.

^This. The idea that someone talking about their beliefs to other is an attempt to force it on others is completely . Everyone here posts about personal beliefs all the time--including their belief that proselytizing is wrong. Are all of you who say that trying to force your beliefs down other people's throats? How dare you!

The only place I ever hear about the Duggars is here--and it's not because the Duggars are here, forcing me to read about them. Even if they were here, I have a scroll button. It seems to me that if you want to avoid their beliefs, it's easy to do. Instead, a lot of people seem to seek them out while at the same time blaming the Duggars for daring to put their beliefs out there in public--unlike, say, people who comment on those beliefs on public messageboards.

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    This is what bothers me. They aren't live and let live. If you are male, you have some choices, but the women have none.
    I have no problem with women or men who make the informed choice to stay home with their kids, but that is not what is happening here.
    They can walk out the door. It's hard to do and there are consequences, but it can be done and has been done and is done. There are consequences to staying as well.

As for their being informed, do you really think it would be possible to so shelter the girls that they would not understand that there are women who make other choices? In spite of, say, Michelle having had at least one female OB that I know of, and all the women who work in all the places they visit (visited?) for their TV show? They do go out in public. They have relatives who do not follow their beliefs. They see the world, even if they are sheltered from it. I guarantee you that they know perfectly well that they are different from most people and that they know there have been people who have walked away and do understand that it is possible.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    In spite of, say, Michelle having had at least one female OB that I know of, and all the women who work in all the places they visit (visited?) for their TV show?
    Eh, I don't think the female OB is all that progressive. Could be that Michelle or her husband believe that another man shouldn't touch her there. There are many online discussions as to whether Christian women can use male OBs, oddly enough. They tend to make the point that there are female midwives in the Old Testament.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Eh, I don't think the female OB is all that progressive. Could be that Michelle or her husband believe that another man shouldn't touch her there. There are many online discussions as to whether Christian women can use male OBs, oddly enough. They tend to make the point that there are female midwives in the Old Testament.
    Yes? And this has what to do with whether or not the Duggar girls realize that women can do things other than stay home and raise children?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    And this has what to do with whether or not the Duggar girls realize that women can do things other than stay home and raise children?
    You cited the female OB. Feel free to wowed if you want. That don't impress me much.

vCash
    There are many [URL="http://www.faithfulwordbaptist.org/gynecologists.html"]online discussions
    Thanks for the link, that's truly funny.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    LOL! ((male gynos)) the article thinks they are all pervs. conversely, i always wondered if they ended up disgusted by women.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I'm not advocating for their lifestyle. I just don't understand the contempt for it. Once again, live and let live.
    You don't understand contempt for patriarchy and misogyny? Really?

The problem with 'live and let live' is that the Duggars aren't letting their daughters live but treat them as slaves and incubators.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You cited the female OB. Feel free to wowed if you want. That don't impress me much.
    I cited the female OB as one instance in which the Duggar girls would be exposed to a working woman who did something besides stay home with children. I did not cite the female OB as an example of progressive thinking or as something that wows me.

Feel free to pretend you didn't know that and weren't just looking for an excuse to post your link...unless, of course, you think I am giving you too much credit for comprehending what you read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    Thanks for the link, that's truly funny.
    It's understandable that some women choose female OBs, but this preacher guy is totally jellin' on male OBs. Because nothing's hotter than a pap test.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post

I don't "hand-wring" about it.
    However, it still disturbs me.

Of course, all faiths "spread the word"/proselytize in one way or another.
    However, I would think that the "example of life" approach would be more effective than one based on fear or ignorance about the world; and beliefs other than one's own.

vCash
    Wait, so your problem with proselytizing is that it's not effective enough?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    No. I don't like proselytizing, in the usual sense, at all.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't understand why this is news. Two married people the age married people have kids are having a 3rd child. They don't have any health problems or genetic problems that would make having a kid be a bad idea. They don't have 10 kids already. They aren't expecting sextuplets. The pregnant one isn't really a man.

It's completely a non-event in every way.

P.S. Yesterday I sneezed.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't understand why this is news.
    They are famous for nothing. Just like half the "celebrities" these days. We have to hear all about when they are pregnant too.

I don't really care you sneezed. But do you know if Kim Kardashian did? That would be news!!

vCash
    Wow. I thought this was Michelle Duggar. I'm like, give that money-maker a rest, why dontcha?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't understand why this is news. Two married people the age married people have kids are having a 3rd child. They don't have any health problems or genetic problems that would make having a kid be a bad idea. They don't have 10 kids already. They aren't expecting sextuplets. The pregnant one isn't really a man.

It's completely a non-event in every way.
    You know, I think only a couple of my friends were even married at 24, and nobody I know who's my age had kids in their mid-twenties; everyone was focused on school and career and relationships. So for me if someone I know is having baby no. 3 at age 24, that's probably gossip worthy.

It is not, however, newsworthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    You know, I think only a couple of my friends were even married at 24, and nobody I know who's my age had kids in their mid-twenties; everyone was focused on school and career and relationships. So for me if someone I know is having baby no. 3 at age 24, that's probably gossip worthy.

It is not, however, newsworthy.
    This. Anyone I know (in my circle of peers) who had a baby before age 30 had an accident. Seriously. Even my friend who is pregnant with number seven didn't marry until 29 and didn't start having kids until she was 33. It is a bit outside the norm these days.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast