Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Another Duggar baby is on the way!

Get Ready for More Duggars! Josh and Wife Expecting Their Third

Congrats to them...although I am thinking they will either 1) stop at 3-5 kids, or 2) keep going and going and going. Josh is 25 and Anna is 24.

I am amazed that none of the other kids (especially the girls) are married yet.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    I'm not - living with the human clown car doesn't really make marriage seem like a positive, especially for the girls. The older ones have already experienced everything about being parents except giving birth anyway.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    I'm not either. I don't think marrying young ( at least younger than 21) is particularly part of what they do. Haven't some of the girls expressed an interest in college?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    A lot of the superstar families of the patriarchy movement seem to not be in any hurry to marry off their daughters. See the Botkin sisters for an example.

vCash
    I'm not either. I don't think marrying young ( at least younger than 21) is particularly part of what they do. Haven't some of the girls expressed an interest in college?
    Josh's wife was 20 when she got married, so marrying young is what they do. However, from what I've seen on the show, none of the girls, with exception of a couple, seem all that into kids and marriage. Who could blame them? And beisdes, If the older girls got married, that would mean Michelle would actually have to take care of her own children.

As for college, they've all expressed interest (Josh wants to go law school!! ) but with their low level of education, college isn't happening, at least not a real one. They were doing some kind of promotion for a program called CollegePlus, it was some kind of online course and testing program that wasn't accredited. I remember on one of their specials, or one maybe an episode of the show, Jim Bob actually said that he wouldn't pay for any of his children to go to college, because he thought it was a "waste of money".

Anyway, congrats to Josh and Anna. I hope she doesn't have to deliver this one on the toilet, with a camera crew in her face and her husband asleep on the couch.
    Last edited by Whitneyskates; 03-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Josh's wife was 20 when she got married, so marrying young is what they do.
    One example proves your point?

I'm often puzzled by the refusal of some to just live and let live. They seem happy enough no matter the life they're leading.
    Last edited by milanessa; 03-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    No it doesn't, but I have read enough about their "religion" (a brand of christianity created by a man named Bill Gothard, which I found out about before I heard of the Duggars) highly encourages young marriages. A lot of what Gothard teaches his followers to believe is down right creepy.

And I'm all about live and let live, but this family has put every moment of their life on display for the past decade, so they opened their lives up for comments and yes, ridicule. And it's not like live and let live is not something the Duggars practice, considering Michelle left her baby in NICU to protest a gas station that wanted to sell allcohol, and they routinely protest against anything having to do with being pro-choice or LGBT rights.

vCash
    No it doesn't, but I have read enough about their "religion" (a brand of christianity created by a man named Bill Gothard, which I found out about before I heard of the Duggars) highly encourages young marriages. A lot of what Gothard teaches his followers to believe is down right creepy.

And I'm all about live and let live, but this family has put every moment of their life on display for the past decade, so they opened their lives up for comments and yes, ridicule. And it's not like live and let live is not something the Duggars practice, considering Michelle left her baby in NICU to protest a gas station that wanted to sell allcohol, and they routinely protest against anything having to do with being pro-choice or LGBT rights.
    Wish I could rep you. The Duggars are very much part of Gothard's movement and have connections to others like Vision Forum and the Botkins. It is scary stuff and deeply patriarchal and misogynistic. They have successfully put a really shiny coat of glossy paint on it to sell to the masses.

engaged to dupa
    vCash

Okay.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Is this show still on?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Is this show still on?
    i just saw in EW they filmed a special in asia. it said something like the duggars cant understand why the japanese take their shoes off to eat and the japanese cant understand why michelle treats her uterus like a magician's hat.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The Duggar's aren't interested in "glorifying" anything other than their own lifestyle and bank account.
    After all these years, what else do they have to say?
    Enough, already.

vCash
    I find them gross.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    IME with this particular type of Christianity, young marriage is the norm. Otherwise, the youngins might engage in premarital relations.

However, there are two problems there--one is that there is a perpetual shortage of young and godly men (a problem for religious women of all kinds who want to marry within their faiths; young men in general are not religious) and two is that the godly young men have to be in a financial position to support a wife and children, which narrows the field even more.

It is ironic and rather sad that this is a common problem in religions that pretty much restrict women to the roles of wife and mother. And life can be very sad indeed for the women who don't marry.

As for college--highly unlikely as long as they are living at home. College is considered a primary source of leading the young astray. Community college is sometimes acceptable (but only sometimes). Trade school is usually okay--there are no gen eds.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Exactly, Prancer. And Gothardites have been advocating that young women do not leave their father's house until marrying. No college and no jobs outside of working within the home in family business endeavors. Read about it here: http://jezebel.com/5708306/the-women...hters-movement

The article contains direct links to the movement's advocates.

vCash
    If they went to college, it would only be to a school that reinforces their belief system.
    There would be very few opportunities for real learning/exposure to new ideas.

vCash
    No it doesn't, but I have read enough about their "religion" (a brand of christianity created by a man named Bill Gothard, which I found out about before I heard of the Duggars) highly encourages young marriages.
    Within the Quiverfull movement, there's a segment of daughters who delay marriage because they're expected to help raise all their younger siblings. They're called "stay-at-home daughters."

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm not advocating for their lifestyle. I just don't understand the contempt for it. Once again, live and let live.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Within the Quiverfull movement, there's a segment of daughters who delay marriage because they're expected to help raise all their younger siblings. They're called "stay-at-home daughters."
    Sort of. Not quite. The label is about not going out into the world but rather always remaining under the roof and "protection" of a man--either a father or husband. Marriage is the ultimate goal and those espousing the movement generally believe that being in their parents' house caring for younger siblings and keeping house are the only preparation for a future that a woman needs. There is no assumption or expectation that the younger daughters in a family would be allowed to leave for college or independent lives, either.

Another informative article on the theology and ideals behind it:

http://bitchmagazine.org/article/house-proud
    Last edited by PDilemma; 03-11-2013 at 10:54 PM.

vCash
    It's a return to the pre-20th century view of the purpose/position of women in society..
    I'd be more accepting of "live and let live"; if these "believers" didn't proselytize so fervently, in an attempt to force their beliefs on others.

It also disturbs me that these people don't have/are not allowed access to other information/ways of thinking; so that "choice" really does not exist for them.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast