Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
    What's wrong with you, theironlady? Why do you feel the need to belittle and attack these skaters? First the Chinese and now the Russian. Are North American skaters so much better, or do you simply have an agenda to spread your coldwar mindset? Even dare I say you are just a closet racist and bad at hide your prejudice?
    Wait until I get around to to the problems of up and coming North Americans and Europeans. It's coming, and you think this thread is tough.

This is intended in a joking spirit, but I can tell your sense of humor is different, so I will point out that fact. I have no agenda against skaters of any nation. I have never been motivated by jingoism. I love skating, and I enjoy discussing its trends. I am not against USA, Russia, China, Canada, Japan or any country. By your logic I am secretly against everyone except Japan, for it is the only country whose ladies I consistently cheer for. Of course I have my biases--and I have legitimate opinions too, but I respect all the skaters and nations, including Russia, USA, France, Korea, etc.

vCash
    I liked her old blue gloves with last seasons long program costume.

But in general this year she is a mess.....

I personally never wear gloves when I skate

Banned Member
    vCash
    You are mistaking targeted bashing as so-called joking around. Either you do it intentionally, well that makes you exactly what I said, or you do it even without realizing it, then I pity the people around you putting up with such a mean person. Have fun trolling btw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Wait until I get around to to the problems of up and coming North Americans and Europeans. It's coming, and you think this thread is tough.

This is intended in a joking spirit, but I can tell your sense of humor is different, so I will point out that fact. I have no agenda against skaters of any nation. I have never been motivated by jingoism. I love skating, and I enjoy discussing its trends. I am not against USA, Russia, China, Canada, Japan or any country. By your logic I am secretly against everyone except Japan, for it is the only country whose ladies I consistently cheer for. Of course I have my biases--and I have legitimate opinions too, but I respect all the skaters and nations, including Russia, USA, France, Korea, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I don't like the gloves but my problem is I don't know why I don't like them. I should simply see them as part of the costume; but I don't.
    You totally just made it ok for me to arbitrarily not like them. Gedevanishvili comes to mind... ( cut it out Elena)

vCash

I did not see anything funny in your opening post.

vCash
    The comparison with Surya Bonaly was meant to be funny, but I was not referring to that.

vCash
    I found the comparison with Bonaly insulting to a young skater who is still growing, and actually using edges in her skating. I did like Bonaly, however, for other reasons. She was an exciting pro skater.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-12-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    i dont mind the gloves, as long as they suit the dress (so obviously a long sleaved dress is required), however, I don't mind the tacky dramatic Russian packaging.

vCash
    I also like the Russian packaging, but some of the style trends do not compliment individual skaters. I think Lipnitskaia will probably evolve quite a bit in style over the many years to come.

vCash
    Does anyone else find Lipnitskaia's hand and wrist movements floppy and unnecessary?
    Totally. They look so applied and meaningless. There were times when it looked like she thought she was skating to Swan Lake rather than Nutcracker.

Still, I blame the choreographer. I think the long sleeves and gloves that are bugging some folks are designed for a purpose - to draw attention to her wrists and hands, which suggests these movements were planned by the choreographer. Apparently somebody's notion of musical interpretation involves ballet arms, only this skater does not do them very well yet, so the whole effect reads as exaggerated and clueless. I think it's generally better for a skater this young to avoid overly ambitious flourishes. I was going to add "until she matures enough to understand and feel them" but honestly, I don't think that would look good on anybody.
    Last edited by Susan M; 03-12-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fix grammar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    The ice can really tear the skin on the hands to shreds, I'm surprised they all don't wear gloves.
    You can wear gloves at the practices, and if you don't wear them at competitions, it's just 7 minutes on the ice without gloves.

vCash

This is intended in a joking spirit, but I can tell your sense of humor is different, so I will point out that fact.
    It seems that the majority posters on this thread have a different sense of humor than you do. But I am sure it is our fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    But in general this year she is a mess.....
    A mess? She did qualify to GPF in her first GP eligible season, as the highest ranking Russian lady. I think it is too strong to call her a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
    You are mistaking targeted bashing as so-called joking around. Either you do it intentionally, well that makes you exactly what I said, or you do it even without realizing it, then I pity the people around you putting up with such a mean person. Have fun trolling btw.
    I agree.

The comparison with Surya Bonaly was meant to be funny, but I was not referring to that.
    Hmmm, I really did not find that funny.

vCash
    When someone has to constantly explain that they are joking, then maybe that person needs to get the message that maybe they are not as funny as they perceive themselves to be. It is like people who when they introduce themselves say how funny they are and what a great sense of humour they have. They usually are not funny.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    IronLady.......Thanks for the discussion. It is the break at the wrist that I find distracting and unattractive. It is accentuated because of the gloves (if there were also a color break from costume to hand, it would not be as noticeable.

I noticed the same thing this weekend with Mirai when I watched her performance at Nationals. That break in the line, to my eye, is really unappealing. If you watch someone with fabulous arms and hands, like Joannie or Sasha Cohen you can see that they use their arms all the way to their fingertips................there is nothing flailing around at the end of their arm.
    What great examples of how long to hold each movement. When I see certain skaters (Sasha especially) I want them to return to competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Totally. They looks so applied and meaningless. There were times when it looked like she thought she was skating to Swan Lake rather than Nutcracker.

Still, I blame the choreographer. I think the long sleeves and gloves that are bugging some folks are designed for a purpose -to draw attention to her wrists and hands, which suggests these movements were planned by the choreographer. Apparently somebody's notion of musical interpretation involves ballet arms, only this skater does not do them very well yet, so the whole effect read as exaggerated and clueless. I think it's generally better for a skater this young to avoid overly ambitious flourishes. I was going to add "until she matures enough to understand and feel them" but honestly, I don't think that would look good on anybody.
    You make a good point. Someone thinks it adds to or enhances the choreography. I too think they are mistaken.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    When someone has to constantly explain that they are joking, then maybe that person needs to get the message that maybe they are not as funny as they perceive themselves to be.
    I think the problem is that when we talk in person, we communicate a lot by facial expressions and tone of voice, and those aren't there when we type. I think maybe emoticons can help make up for that or maybe using something like the pretend html code for begin sarcasm <sarcasm> and end sarcasm </sarcasm> would help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12