Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    You could have a dressmaker sew something very similar, in silk, for a fraction of the cost of that polyester thing.
    The problem is finding fabric. The silk would not be too much of a problem. But the lace would be. I have a seamstress I could work with. But, she is from Italy, and I don't think it would be cheap. It might not be $6000, but it could well be $3000. And I just won't spend that much. I do very well with DVF, Theory, & Vince. Silk, cashmere, great design, and the fit is perfect for my body type. I have a wedding (my niece) in June. People have told me I should shorten the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding. Others have told me I'd be crazy. Because the bottom of the dress is what makes it. I also feel it might be weird to wear the dress i wore to my daughter's wedding to my niece's. Just a reminder of the dress: http://www.elizabethjohns.com/products/rose-taft-6860/
    Last edited by cruisin; 12-08-2013 at 03:34 AM.

vCash
    I have a degree in fashion design, but I suck at it frankly. My friend is incredibly skilled, and she could run any of those dresses up for less than $600.00 from start to finish, including materials. Less than that if you didn't opt for silk.

We used to hunt thrift stores for vintage dreses in large sizes for the lace overlay alone. A good deal of it was real silk lace, but that's hard to find now. Still, you can find good quality, affordable laces that aren't silk.

Thanks for posting that flutter sleeve dress-When I go to visit Kim this spring, I am cajoling her into running it up for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I have a degree in fashion design, but I suck at it frankly. My friend is incredibly skilled, and she could run any of those dresses up for less than $600.00 from start to finish, including materials. Less than that if you didn't opt for silk.

We used to hunt thrift stores for vintage dreses in large sizes for the lace overlay alone. A good deal of it was real silk lace, but that's hard to find now. Still, you can find good quality, affordable laces that aren't silk.

Thanks for posting that flutter sleeve dress-When I go to visit Kim this spring, I am cajoling her into running it up for me.
    Can she make one for me too?

I actually have a degree in fine arts, painting, sculpting, etc. I went into graphics, advertising. What i really wanted to do was fashion. I'm really good at design and I sew very well. I just hate to sew. So, that kind of put a crimp in it.

vCash
    I'd love to go into fashion, I did work at a Men's Fashion Store here but I was so miserable there every day because no one knew how to ever smile and it was just a bad place to be. That being said, I can't draw a stickman to save my life but I'd love to do Administration for someone like Gucci or Prada or a store like Bergdorf Goodman, to be behind the scenes at one of those labels I think would be absolutely fabulous!

Having a tailor who can make those kinds of dresses is fabulous, and if you can do it at a fraction of the price, then great. I like what I like, I think it's been established that I'm a bit of a brand whore , and I'm okay with that. Everyone has what they like . I'm hoping to get to NYC next Christmas, I've been to London, Paris and Los Angeles, I'm only missing Milan for myself but I'd get into a heck of a lot of trouble there with my credit cards I think!

Here's hoping there are some still good sales to be had during these holidays! I am hoping to get those purple Manolos for myself after I am officially out of debt!
    Kyle

vCash
    Shooting in a parking lot at the Mall at Short Hills today!

vCash
    OMG what happened?! Ugh! I hope there weren't any serious injuries! Sounds like it was a carjacking. I hope they catch whoever is responsible immediately and that the mall's reputation doesn't suffer too much. Of course and that the victim makes a complete recovery ASAP.

On a better note, I went to the Holt Renfrew magenta madness and got myself a lovely white terrycloth robe and black cashmere sweater. Holts brand mind you but they are xmas gifts for me. (We already know what everyone gets everyone year after year, takes the guesswork out of it, its more about the kids anyways.) I can't wait to start enjoying them soon!
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm going to post the details on a new thread. but a 30 year old man was killed. His wife is okay.

vCash
    Bumping this thread up.

So I made the day long trek to Calgary yesterday for Boxing Day (for those who may not know, Boxing Day is the day after Christmas and akin to Black Friday in the States). I walked into Holt Renfrew downtown and immediately knew, that place was my cryptonite! I saw a Prada jacket and work shirts from Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana, $1500 later and I'm not celebrating this New Years! Ha! TheCORE in downtown Calgary was nice and quiet, hardly any major line-ups at all which was nice.

We decided to trek down to Chinook Centre and had to make our own parking spot. I have never seen line-ups just to be able to get into the stores like that in my life! Stores like True Religion, Burberry, Abercrombie and the like had hour plus long lines just to get into the store. Never mind how long the line ups were just to pay. Thankfully, we decided just to go for supper at a Vegan cafe in a trendy area of the city and skip Cross Iron Mills altogether. I could see cars parked on the side highway going along the QEII and it was insanity.

It was a long, but productive day. Did any other Canucks get good deals? Or anyone else for that matter?
    Kyle

vCash
    Actually, the day after Christmas has become a major shopping day in the US too. Different from Black Friday. Black Friday seems to be more focused on the toy/TV/electronics/Target/Wallmart shopping. The day after Christmas is returning unwanted gifts and taking advantage of the major afterChristmas sales. I must say that the Short Hills Mall was much quieter than I expected, based on past years. But, I think people are still a bit uncomfortable about the murder/carjacking there, two weeks ago.

vCash
    Did you find anything, crusin?

vCash
    All I did was return a blazer my husband's brother and wife gave me. It was too sparkly and too big. I got a nice top for Pilates, instead. They got it at Nordstroms and I like the Nordstrom's Zella brand. My daughter brought back a very nice Vince sweater that she got from my husband and I. she liked it, but wanted good sunglasses instead. And she wasn't keeping both! Her husband got 3 pair of good jeans on sale. I actually got 2 pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes last week. Bloomingdales had a sale and I had a 25% off shoe card. And the Stuart Weitzman store had a 40% off sale. http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...3D77%26spc%3D5
    and http://www.stuartweitzman.com/produc...pId=-1&F_All=Y in black leather.

Anyone get any great Christmas gifts?
    Got these from my husband. I picked them out, but he went and got them They are my Christmas, Anniversary, and Birthday present http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...D97%26spc%3D42
    Got more Zella workout wear from my kids.

vCash
    You were good to yourself!
    Those earrings are lovely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    You were good to yourself!
    Those earrings are lovely.
    Yes, but I don't do it often and I didn't pay that much for the first pair of shoes. Sale + 25% off. And I've already worn both pair at least 3 or 4 times! COMFORTABLE! The earrings are really nice, weightless! Thank you! I usually do that for Christmas, I pick something really nice and have it be my gift for everything fro the year. I'd rather have one nice thing than a bunch of things.

vCash
    I wasn't criticizing you at all.
    I try to do the same.

vCash
    Boxing day coincidentally is the biggest shopping day in Canada during the year, people tend to line up outside of the big-box stores as early as 2 AM to get deals. Malls have hour long line ups plus just to get into the store! I know Alberta in particular with the weather being good, most malls and shopping areas were jammed.

I didn't have anything to return since I knew what I was getting anyways. Those shoes and earrings are cute and if you were getting discounts on top of discounts then you really can't go wrong with that!

I think it's safe to say that I'm Holt Renfrewed OUT after the last couple months. I will admire from afar for the next little while.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I wasn't criticizing you at all.
    I try to do the same.
    Oh, I didn't think you were . I took it as congratulations ! We all need to treat/be good to ourselves, sometimes. It's good for the soul

vCash
    I've only been to Holt Renfrew in Vancouver.
    I wish I were there now!

vCash
    Apparently the Holts in Vancouver is doing gangbusters in sales, and is now even outperforming the flagship on Bloor in Toronto overall now. I know that store isn't that old, but talking to the GM it looks like they're starting to be cramped for space and are looking for options to expand within where they are now. I've been through that store a couple of times and it really is a lovely store and the design of it is fantastic. If they can expand within the current space that they have, then the skies are the limit.

The Calgary store is going to be opening it's fourth floor sometime next year with Holt's Cafe and the Holt's Common concept from what I've heard. I know when they opened it back in 2009 they didn't want to "overwhelm" the market and wanted to hold off. With the fourth floor finally being opened, the Calgary store will be the second largest Holts in the country behind Bloor, I was there a couple days ago and it really is a marvel to walk through. That store is kryptonite for me!

Fortunately for me, I live in Edmonton, our space is only about 35,000 square feet (Calgary's is 146,000) and the new space (which will still only be 80,000-100,000 square feet) is still two years off it sounds like and they still haven't got a spaced picked out, though if they go with the same architect who designed the Calgary and Vancouver stores (and is designing the new location at Square One), then we really can't go wrong.

I think Saks is treading VERY carefully after seeing how badly Target botched it's openings here. It sounds like they may be skipping Alberta altogether and carefully opening in Toronto and Vancouver.
    Kyle

vCash
    How did Target botch their openings in Canada?

That chain does incredibly well in the U.S. In Los Angeles, we have what's called City Targets -- smaller stores with limited merchandise -- and they are always still packed.

Anyway, I didn't get anything for Christmas so I gifted myself some more Vince knits. And a great Levi's denim jacket from Nordstrom.

But then I was doing my annual cleaning and realized I have way too many clothes. Yikes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    How did Target botch their openings in Canada?

That chain does incredibly well in the U.S. In Los Angeles, we have what's called City Targets -- smaller stores with limited merchandise -- and they are always still packed.

Anyway, I didn't get anything for Christmas so I gifted myself some more Vince knits. And a great Levi's denim jacket from Nordstrom.

But then I was doing my annual cleaning and realized I have way too many clothes. Yikes!
    The Vince website is running their Fall/Winter sale: http://www.vince.com/sale/sale-for-w...t/saleforwomen

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast