Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Luxury Fashion! (Favorite High-End Labels, Department Stores. Etc...)

I'm sitting here on a Sunday night, there's not much on TV, so I figured I'd start a random thread about one of my favorite things in the world... LUXURY fashion! A place to discuss fashion, labels, the Luxury Department Stores/Malls, etc.

My favorite labels are pretty much primarily Italian... what can I say... yes I'm a label whore! In my closet is Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Prada, Versace and I think Armani? I live for Dolce & Gabbana and Gucci primarily, those are my two weaknesses.

Being that Alberta isn't exactly known as a fashion haven, especially in the city where I am. If ever I want to get my fix, I head to Holt Renfrew in downtown Calgary. It's absolutely stunning. Four floors of the best! I went there before I started my most recent job and spent $680 on a Burberry Polo, Dolce polo and wallet... but what can I say, it was a moment of weakness! Thank goodness mama was with me or I probably would have spent about double that! Holts in Calgary is my absolute kryptonite. I love the Holts in Calgary and Vancouver, the one in Edmonton is too small and not nearly enough space, but they did just recently start carrying Dolce and Gabbana so points for that!

I've also been lucky to shop and purchase Gucci at their Sloane Street Flagship location in London (the Dolce & Gabbana men's store near there rather disappointed me) as well as on the Champs-Élysées at Avenue Montaigne when I went to London and Paris in 2011. That was like a like a little slice of heaven on earth for me. I also picked up some D&G at their Rue du Rivoli boutique near the Louvre.

I've also been to Rodeo Drive twice in Beverly Hills (both times before I was an out gay man and knew what any of those stores were) and the Beverly Center, but it is nowhere near like it is today. Once I have some funds that allow for it again, I will definitely be going back in a few years hopefully.

Crystals at City Center in Vegas looks like it could do major damage to my VISA as well. Seattle has a great Gucci boutique as well as the Flagship Nordstrom which is all sorts of amazing. I bought my mom a Louis Vuitton purse when I was there as well (back in 2010) but she only brings it out for special occasions.

Of course, New York City is on my bucket list. Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman's... I can only imagine the kind of trouble i would get into there!

What about fellow FSUers? Do any of you have any weaknesses for fashion/labels/department stores? Any wild stories?
    Kyle

vCash
    I don't do it often, but every now and then I do splurge on a high end item. I always feel guilty afterwards, so I have to take the time to tell myself that I earned it, none of my other financial duties are being ignored and that it's ok to do this

I purchased a new Versace bag this past weekend. I hadn't planned on it, but it was just sitting there, looking like it needed a good home, so I volunteered.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Of course, New York City is on my bucket list. Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman's... I can only imagine the kind of trouble i would get into there!
    When you get there, add Henri Bendel to your list - it's like a candy store for people who like high end and interesting brand accessories, cosmetics and jewelry Last time I went there with two other FSUers, we were 2.5 hours and I won't tell you how many dollars later, but we certainly had fun!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was such a fashionista back in the disco days. I had outfits from Thierry Mugler, Chantal Thomas, Chloe, Issey Miyake, Mary McFadden, Calvin Klein galore, Halston. Maude Frizon and Charles Jourdan shoes. One of my best friends in my tweens was Marc Jacobs - we worked together and took trips together. And I even hung out at a party with Diana Vreeland and Zhandra Rhodes. Loved Bergdorf's and Bendels! Now? I am wearing Coldwater Creek pants, a top from QVC, and Munro shoes. It all went downhill from the 70s-80s!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I don't do it often, but every now and then I do splurge on a high end item. I always feel guilty afterwards, so I have to take the time to tell myself that I earned it, none of my other financial duties are being ignored and that it's ok to do this

I purchased a new Versace bag this past weekend. I hadn't planned on it, but it was just sitting there, looking like it needed a good home, so I volunteered.
    It's Versace! And if it was looking lonely but fabulous for you then I say, you rock on with your bad self! I'm like you, I don't do it all that often either, I REALLY can't do it right now, but when I do get the opportunity, I figure, why not! Life is too short sometimes!

That's why I love watching the red carpet and seeing the latest creations from the best designers. Sometimes they don't always work! (IE, Anne Hathaway in Prada this year... I love Prada... but that dress? )

Jenny, I'm not big on jewelry/accessories myself. I have a really nice Gucci watch from London that cost me way too much and a Dolce and Gabbana watch that I got relatively cheap at the outlet in Vegas but the battery has been dead forever. I'm mostly about my polos, hoodies and a the odd pair of jeans (Dolce and Gucci which I only wear out for special occasions, oh yeah and Versace!), but it sounds like it'd be fun to explore anyways!

Rob, I hear ya, I absolutely adore what I do have, but when I'm at home, It's usually my Olympic Gear (Team Canada, and London/Vancouver wear) and pajamas. It's only when I'm out in public that I bring out the big guns! You were friends with Marc Jacobs?! Jealous! I'm sure you have all kinds of interesting stories!
    Kyle

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I have a really nice Gucci watch from London that cost me way too much
    This I can relate too - I have a thing for bamboo, so I have two Gucci bamboo watches

You were friends with Marc Jacobs?! Jealous! I'm sure you have all kinds of interesting stories!
    She's probably going to tell us that he dressed like crap and was ungroomed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This I can relate too - I have a thing for bamboo, so I have two Gucci bamboo watches

She's probably going to tell us that he dressed like crap and was ungroomed
    Marc Jacobs Untiffed? Never! lol.

As for the Gucci Bamboo watches... interesting! ooohh, google images... pretty! Mine is silver and stainless steel. Very classic.
    Kyle

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    My one weakness for high end fashion is Christian Louboutin shoes!! I never met a pair of Loubies that I didn't fall madly in love with! Unfortunately, I have to pay the bills, so my only coup was a fabulous pair of metallic red ankle booties with that famous red sole!! They were on sale, of course!
    The four things I have in my closet that cost me the most money are Johnny Weir's 2006 Olympic practice outfit, the first 'costume' Evan Lysacek EVER wore, one of Evan's Junior competitive outfits (good LORD he was a TALL, skinny kid!!), and a Imperial Russian hat that was owned and worn by Johnny Weir! Those are some of the precious things I own from skaters, and they actually are more valuable to me than anything I own! Designer....well...YES!!

I also have the blue and the white Bosco Sport Vancouver Russian Olympic team gear (the one jacket was a wonderful gift from a 'friend', and I LOVE it! Also have some Ralph Lauren Team USA Olympic stuff (the jacket is my favourite, followed by the blue polo)...I love ALL of it...

vCash
    Can never go wrong with Christian Louboutin! Fabulous shoes for sure! As for skaters practice outfits, did you get them on Ebay? Interesting!

My Olympic Stuff is mostly the 2010 and 2012 stuff Actual Olympic wear along with some Team Canada stuff and a whole slew of Team GB stuff.
    Kyle

vCash
    I love Marc Jacobs and have quite a few of his dresses.

vCash
    The Beverly Center in Los Angeles is a joke. I've lived here for years and still can't figure out how to get around the labyrinthine parking lot and floors. The stores are okay, but I actually think Century City Mall is better, with a well-stocked Bloomingdales (Versace, Mulger, etc) and Louis Vuitton. And of course, the Rodeo Drive area is great for luxury stores and boutiques (Melrose is too, with DVF, Marc Jacobs to name a few).

I blew $1000 in 20 minutes at Crystals in Las Vegas. Then my buddy, his fiancee and I went to either Cartier or Van Cleef and Arpels and jokingly had her try on tennis bracelets in the $40-50k range. She ended up with a bag from Bottega Venetta as consolation.

In my job, I'm exposed to a lot of high fashion, and occasionally get gifted one or two small things (I just gave a Frey Wille scarf to my mom).

I am a sucker for Prada eyewear and Jack Spade accessories. The latter are usually on Gilt a few times a season.

vCash
    All_empty do you live close to Beverly Hills? I am so jealous! I was just actually looking at the stores inside the Beverly Center, that's what made me It's been about 16 years since I was last there. It does look like there is a bit of a complicated floor plan but given all the stores that are in there, I'd live with that.

That's what I was talking about with Crystals in Vegas. If I spent any amount of time in there, I would be in trouble very quickly. My poor VISA!

All_empty, do you happen to need an assistant? LOL, I have a pretty good amount of stuff, but I'd never turn down freebies!
    Kyle

vCash
    So just a quick update/bump to this thread.

I got to spend the Long Weekend (for us Canadians it was anyways) in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills/West Hollywood.

As previously mentioned, the layout to the Beverly Center is absolutely hideous! There were some good stores on level 7, but the fact I had to go up 5 levels of escalators just to get into the mall I found to be slightly ridiculous! It kind of ruined it for me...

I did manage to make my way to Rodeo Drive and I may have slightly stimulated the California economy... in the form of $3G Prada, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and my Prada shoes from Barney's by the Beverly Wilshire were what did it for me! It was quite enjoyable and fun getting away.
    Kyle

vCash
    I've long been a designer maven; and have a few pieces that are over 30 years old.
    Like many of you, I have to travel to find anything I love.
    My area of FL lacks options.

vCash
    Kylet, if you come to the NYC area, you should shop in NJ. No sales tax on clothing or shoes. The Mall at Short Hills is fabulous! http://www.shopshorthills.com I'm not a fan of Henri Bendel, it's mostly over priced, over the top accessories. I've seen some interesting things there, but nothing I would actually buy. You could also go up to Woodbury Commons - a huge outlet center in Central Valley, NY http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 They have an Off 5th (Saks), a Neiman Last Call, and a lot of high end designer outlets. You have to know what you are buying, though. Some is actual retail merchandise, some is made for outlet. The DVF store is one of the best for actual retail and only a half season behind.

My weakness is Marco Bicego jewelry. LOVE IT!

Love Marc Jacobs, whether it's his name line or Louis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Kylet, if you come to the NYC area, you should shop in NJ. No sales tax on clothing or shoes. The Mall at Short Hills is fabulous! http://www.shopshorthills.com I'm not a fan of Henri Bendel, it's mostly over priced, over the top accessories. I've seen some interesting things there, but nothing I would actually buy. You could also go up to Woodbury Commons - a huge outlet center in Central Valley, NY http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 They have an Off 5th (Saks), a Neiman Last Call, and a lot of high end designer outlets. You have to know what you are buying, though. Some is actual retail merchandise, some is made for outlet. The DVF store is one of the best for actual retail and only a half season behind.

Thanks for that advice cruisin! Though, I think it will be a pretty long while

My weakness is Marco Bicego jewelry. LOVE IT!

Love Marc Jacobs, whether it's his name line or Louis.
    Thanks for that cruisin! That being said, after my little $3K excursion on Rodeo Drive last weekend, I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a LONG while I also had dinner at The Beverly Hills Hotel on the Sunday night at the Polo Lounge and everything was just , dinner was phenomenal and I got some great pics in the lobby and just outside of it. Something I shall never forget! Jersey Outlets would probably get me in even more trouble, I have enough clothes as it is right now, I have to go into my closet and take stuff out because there's no more room! That mall and those premium outlets?!? Cruisin! LOL They look all so FABULOUS but my fabulous is all tapped out and now broke. It looks like a lot of fun though!
    Kyle

vCash
    Thanks for that cruisin! That being said, after my little $3K excursion on Rodeo Drive last weekend, I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a LONG while I also had dinner at The Beverly Hills Hotel on the Sunday night at the Polo Lounge and everything was just , dinner was phenomenal and I got some great pics in the lobby and just outside of it. Something I shall never forget! Jersey Outlets would probably get me in even more trouble, I have enough clothes as it is right now, I have to go into my closet and take stuff out because there's no more room! That mall and those premium outlets?!? Cruisin! LOL They look all so FABULOUS but my fabulous is all tapped out and now broke. It looks like a lot of fun though!
    My problem (and my fortune ) - I live 15 minutes from that mall.

vCash
    crusin, is the Short Hills Mall worth a trip from FL?
    I travel to shop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    crusin, is the Short Hills Mall worth a trip from FL?
    I travel to shop.
    The Mall at Short Hills is not an outlet mall, it is regular retail, see link above. But, it has stores that most malls don't have. The anchor department stores are: Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom's, and Macy's. And the freestanding stores are fantastic. Because there is no sales tax on clothing or shoes, we get great shopping. People from NYC come here, so that they don't have to pay sales tax. There is tax on luxury: jewelry, fur, etc. If you made the trip, I would do it with a plan to do other things, as well. Go up to Woodbury Commons. Go into the city for a show.

vCash
    Not overly luxury for what I own from there, but I'm a Tiffany's girl. Just simple silver pendants on chains is all I've got, but whenever I'm in a major city with a Tiffany's, I go in and often come out with something wrapped in the trademark blue. The simple silver pendants are surprisingly inexpensive (I've paid less than $200 for each purchase).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast