vCash

Which Mac to choose - working in Illustrator and Indesign

I've done some research, but is still confused, so any help and advice are greatly appreciated!

I have all the Adobe programs available at work, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign, and use them a lot. Now we have upgraded our systems, and I will be able to access all my job material, including these programs, from my home computer. It's great for me, as I can both work from home with the big design projects and don't have to stay in at work till late nights.

The thing is, my laptop is 7 years old, full and slow, so I need a new computer anyway. I want a Mac, since I'll be working with Adobe and with photographs. I also want a portable one, since I want the freedom to work everywhere. My research tells me I should go for a MacBook pro, not MacBook air, as the pro is even stronger and faster with the heavy programs. Is this correct?

I've been looking at a MacBook Pro 15.4'' with Retina screen. Anyone has any experience with this? One model as 8gb memory, one has 16gb. Of course 16 is better, but how much? How fast will I fill up 8gb? (I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to stuff like that.) Is it possible to buy more memory later?

I'm really happy for any experience and help on what to buy, thank you so much!

INTJ
    vCash
    I'm not sure of the specific requirements for what you're doing but I'd imagine it would be worth it to spend a little extra on the Macbook Pro. The memory you're talking about is temporary memory which makes programs run faster. The hard drive space is the permanent storage.

I use a MacBook Pro that I got in 2009 and it's still going strong and I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. I only have a 256GB hard drive and I still have 85GB free. I also only have 4GB of memory and it isn't noticeably slower than the computers I use at school or friends' laptops for word processing and simple stuff. I don't have a bunch of movies stored on my computer though and generally don't have lots of programs open at once.

If you're trying to save some money, apple online sells refurbished MacBook Pros that are $200-400 cheaper than normal (though you can't be quite as picky about specs). Also, if you or a family member has connections with a school you can use the apple for educators online school which will also save you $200-400.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    I have a MacBook Pro that is something like 4 years old. It only has 4 gig RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. Personally, I would recommend the MacBook Pro. You can compare the processors in the 2 you are considering to see the difference. And I would probably go for the 16 gig RAM just because I tend to hold onto my computers for awhile, and it is sometimes a pain to add memory yourself to an apple laptop. At least, it used to be. I think.

The Air is good if you want to travel with it a lot, but the storage capacity is pretty limited, I believe. It's not worth it unless you plan to drag it on a lot of trips.