View Poll Results: To what extent does a pre-Olympic worlds medal boost Olympic medal chances?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • It provides no boost at all

10 18.87%
  • Up to 10%

3 5.66%
  • Up to 20%

1 1.89%
  • Up to 30%

4 7.55%
  • Up to 40%

4 7.55%
  • Up to 50%

11 20.75%
  • Up to 60%

5 9.43%
  • Up to 75%

7 13.21%
  • 75% plus

8 15.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Interesting observations by both. I had not thought about it, but that seems to be the case when it comes to an OGM. It means Sarah Hughes' bronze at the 2001 worlds was HUGE. Without it, she may not have won the OGM in 2002.
    I definitely feel if Hughes had finished 4th at the 2001 Worlds behind Butyrskaya (should have) or Nikidinov (would have if Angela didnt lose her mind for the last minute of her program) she would not have won the Olympic Gold in SLC. She would have won the bronze behind Slutskaya and Kwan with either a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the LP, and a lower than 4th place finish in the SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    So, in percentage terms, to what extent does winning a medal at the last world championships before an Olympic games boost a skaters chances of winning an Olympic medal? From what Sarah Hughes is saying in the article, it evidently mattered a lot in terms of recognition as a contender, and in terms of her confidence. However, with others it seemed to have not mattered at all. For example, prior to winning a Silver medal at the 1992 Olympics, Paul Wylie had never finished any higher than 9th at a World Championships.
    At a guess, I would say that Denis Tan's confidence has been boosted immeasurably this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    At a guess, I would say that Denis Tan's confidence has been boosted immeasurably this week.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And I would wager that the confidence of a guy from Spain has too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12