Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    Sylvia, you are a MACHINE! I don't know how you keep up with all this. It's amazing!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Grand Prix assignments are as follows (7 teams, 11 slots):
    Skate America: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, TBA
    Skate Canada: Davis/Brubaker
    Cup of China: Scimeca/Knierim, Zhang/Bartholomay
    NHK: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Frazier
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Scimeca/Knierim, Simpson/Blackmer

Full GP rosters are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Olympic-Season
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I believe Kristen Jennings/Cody Dolkiewicz have split.
    I've been given permission to confirm that Jennings/Dolkiewicz [N9] did split and that Cody will be skating with Gabriella Marvaldi (the daughter of Rocky Marval and Isabelle Brasseur ) -- they plan to compete at the Novice level this season. I believe she may have outgrown (hearsay info) her previous partner, Kyle Hogeboom, with whom she won the U.S. Juvenile Pairs title 2 years ago and the Intermediate bronze in Omaha.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've been given permission to confirm that Jennings/Dolkiewicz [N9] did split and that Cody will be skating with Gabriella Marvaldi (the daughter of Rocky Marval and Isabelle Brasseur ) -- they plan to compete at the Novice level this season. I believe she may have outgrown (hearsay info) her previous partner, Kyle Hogeboom, with whom she won the U.S. Juvenile Pairs title 2 years ago and the Intermediate bronze in Omaha.

vCash
    Grand Prix assignments are as follows (7 teams, 11 slots):
    Skate America: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, TBA
    Skate Canada: Davis/Brubaker
    Cup of China: Scimeca/Knierim, Zhang/Bartholomay
    NHK: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Frazier
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Scimeca/Knierim, Simpson/Blackmer

Full GP rosters are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Olympic-Season
    I hope Z/B, D/B or D/F get a 2nd slot, perhaps the TBA slot at SA. Are S/B really ranked high enough to garner a GP assignment?

vCash
    Britney Simpson/Matt Blackmer received 1 GP because they ended up #24 in the ISU World Standings rankings (after the split pair of Takahashi/Tran were removed at the end of this past season). ETA trivia: Simpson competed in the 2010 GPs in Canada & Russia with her former partner, Nathan Miller.

ISU SB list: Zhang/Bartholomay #15 (167.30), Denney/Frazier 22 (155.83), Simpson/Blackmer 36 (133.05), Calalang/Sidhu 37 (133.01; both Jessica & Zack have passed their USFS Senior Pairs test).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-04-2013 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    Britney Simpson/Matt Blackmer received 1 GP because they ended up #24 in the ISU World Standings rankings (after the split pair of Takahashi/Tran were removed at the end of this past season). ETA trivia: Simpson competed in the 2010 GPs in Canada & Russia with her former partner, Nathan Miller.

ISU SB list: Zhang/Bartholomay #15 (167.30), Denney/Frazier 22 (155.83), Simpson/Blackmer 36 (133.05), Calalang/Sidhu 37 (133.01; both Jessica & Zack have passed their USFS Senior Pairs test).
    Thanks, Sylvia. I would imagine that Z/B might be high on the replacement list if there are WD's

vCash
    Re-posting this relevant excerpt from the Grand Prix Assignments thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3934141
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Some data on the GP minimums:
    Pairs-135.42
    Simpson/Blackmer's assignment to Rostelecom Cup for their Top 24 WS is provisional, since they have not met the GP minimum score: they missed by 2.37 with junior programs. Presumably USFS will assign them to one of the five Senior B's that count towards earning the minimum: US International, Nebelhorn, Nepala, Finlandia, and Coupe de Nice.
    Baga, Toth will 'Be Italian' at USFS pairs camp [this weekend in Fort Wayne, Indiana]: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    "Competing so early in the season initially concerned me, but it's a great way to kick us into shape," said Taylor Toth, who, with partner Kiri Baga, moved to Boston three weeks ago to train under Bobby Martin and Carrie Wall.

"It's important to get the programs out there and get feedback," Baga said.
    "We were happy in Chicago, but there were no other senior teams on the ice," said the 18-year-old Baga, who will attend Simmons College. "I didn't really have any pair girls to relate to. Now, I can look up to other girls like Marissa, [whom] I aspire to be in so many ways. Training in the same environment as the national champions should have a profound effect on us."
    Reporter's notebook: Baga, the 2009 U.S. novice champion, trains singles under Peter Johansson ... Donlan and Speroff will compete their new short, choreographed by Sheryl Franks, to "Meditation" from Thais. After placing fourth in the U.S. in 2012, the skaters were disappointed with their sixth-place finish last season. "Sometimes, going through tough times strengthens skaters' bond and resolve," Martin said. "They're in a totally different place this year. They're ready early, showing a lot of persistence and grit. I think they're going to have a breakout year."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.

vCash
    Simpson/Blackmer's assignment to Rostelecom Cup for their Top 24 WS is provisional, since they have not met the GP minimum score: they missed by 2.37 with junior programs. Presumably USFS will assign them to one of the five Senior B's that count towards earning the minimum: US International, Nebelhorn, Nepala, Finlandia, and Coupe de Nice.
    I'd be very happy to see them in Salt Lake in September. That competition was a good luck competition for several of the skaters last year.

vCash
    Didn't know that the S/B assignment was provisional. Seems strange, then, that they've been assigned 'provisionally', and if the Russian Fed. wanted an American team, there are 2 eligible US teams well in front of S/B whose attendance at Rostelecom would appear to have no scheduling conflict.

Otherwise, the Summer competition seasons will be quite interesting. My bet is D/B first and foremost will compete where they can to get some credibility and possibly the TBA slot at SA. Ditto for Z/B and D/F. D/S will probably want some Summer comps, too in order to reestablish themselves as a credible alternative.

Then, there are the Senior B International competitions next season. Given the fact that US pairs could be on the uptick (on paper anyway), it would be wise for the USFSA to take advantage of as many of those Senior B's as possible, to get as many US teams as possible out there in front of International judges.

vCash
    Very excited to be all fangirly tomorrow in monitoring (ice monitor, not like USFS monitoring--ie, I get everyone on and off the ice and make sure they're all present prior to warmup) the pairs SPs. I will try to restrain myself and behave in a professional manner. And share impressions later.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Anyone hear anything new about Denney/Coughlin. They were supposed to skate in the show in Oakland on June 2, but did not appear. Just wondering if there is anything wrong with John, or perhaps the program wasn't ready.

vCash
    I heard that Coughlin is fine and D/C currently are focusing on preparing for the competition season.

New article on the Florida Senior pair teams of Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea and Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    "Our short is classic James Bond, spy vs. spy," O'Shea, 24, said. "Bond always wins in the movies, but our ending is a work in progress. We haven't decided yet who will win, me or Tarah."
    When he created Kayne and O'Shea's ["From Russia with Love"] James Bond short, Peterson took his pupils' personalities into account.

"They both have strong personalities and they're both passionate in their training," he said. "That translates into powerful skating and works well with James Bond, and also with their free skate to Don Quixote."
    Kayne and O'Shea's training partners, U.S. bronze medalists Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay, plan to show officials sections of their new programs: a short to music from Carousel and free skate to selections from Les Misťrables, both choreographed by Peterson. They are assigned to Cup of China this fall.
    "We look at the Canadian teams and we want to match them technically," Bartholomay said. "We will have the [sbs triple] Lutzes in our program at Skate Detroit. To rack up more bonus points, our lifts are all in the second half [of the free ]."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Didn't know that the S/B assignment was provisional. Seems strange, then, that they've been assigned 'provisionally', and if the Russian Fed. wanted an American team, there are 2 eligible US teams well in front of S/B whose attendance at Rostelecom would appear to have no scheduling conflict.
    Simpson/Blackmer were guaranteed a spot because they were Top 24 in WS. (They were in 24th.) They had to get one before Zhang/Bartholomay or Denney Frazier were assigned a second. (The other US teams above them either have two or split.)

I spoke too soon -- the GP preview says that the skaters need to meet the GP minimum score (based on total score) OR the (new) GP minimum technical score, which Eislauffan wrote in the GP Assignment thread will be documented in this year's GP announcement, when it's released.

The ISU published the GP minimum scores, but not the GP minimum technical scores. It's possible that S/B have met the new GP minimum technical scores.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    The I/WSA FSC is unfortunately canceling Indy Challenge this year.

http://iwsafsc.org/index.html

2013 Indy Challenge Pairs event will not be held this year. Due to the transition from the Pan Am Centre in Downtown Indianapolis to our temporary location in Carmel, Indiana, we regret we will be postponing the competition this year.

vCash
    ^Wow. Sad about Indy Challenge being cancelled this year.

And Wow to Z/B for their ambition this year: SBS 3z!

vCash
    Any word on the FT Wayne Pairs competition?

vCash
    Well, this won't be the most informative report, as I don't have scores and no names but for the sr pairs. Hung around after the comp for a while but the scores weren't yet released, and they were not announced in the arena after each pair either. Anyway, here goes.

Fangirly moment: Drove into the rink parking lot, and Jim Petersen (yes, he IS that good looking) and Amanda Evora (yes, she IS that beautiful) were working with some younger pairs off-ice in the parking lot. After dropping off some supplies, I headed out for some errands, and when I came back I may have heard Jim bribing a pair $20 for something. Don't know if it was jokingly or not but I know that little bets and financial rewards can work for some skaters.

While the early events were going on, Andrew Speroff was jogging around to warm up. In shorts. And yes, his leg muscles are glorious. Once more we all must petition the ISU to allow--nay, require--men to wear shorts for at least one program in competition.

I was monitoring (getting skaters on and off the ice) so I couldn't take notes or guess spin levels or anything like that.

There were 6 novice teams competing. I knew only the Ft Wayne pair. Most pairs did remarkably well considering some were moving up from Int, I know of at least one injury, and it's early in the season. Surprisingly few falls, some wobbly lifts, and one death spiral where the hips did not get down, alas. And a couple of programs that ended early.

Only 1 intermediate team competed. Not sure how long they have been together but it seemed like a difficult phase currently; he was certainly tall enough for her but very, very skinny. I'm guessing the boy had a recent growth spurt and the rest of the body hasn't caught up in terms of strength/bulk.

Only 1 junior team, sorry I can't recall names. Definitely a big jump up from the novice & int pairs in terms of just how sure they were on the ice and presentation. The boy in the pair was pretty burly and I gasped when he did a one-arm lift of the gal (she was in front of him facing him, he lifted her up and around so she was then facing in his direction) like it was a walk in the park. Their coach was some Russian-speaking guy (was speaking with our Russian-speaking skating director and with the pair boy in Russian as well).

While the three senior teams competing were waiting their turn, Zhang and Bartholomay waltzed in. May I just say how many gorgeous people there are in skating? (Bobby Martin--coach of Baga/Toth and Donlan/Speroff) is also pretty darned good looking.)

Competing were Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea, Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth, and Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff. Kayne/O'Shea were the only pair to have costumes (he in a James Bond tux, she in a black sparkly number); the others simply wore practice clothes.

Kayne/O'Shea really hammed it up with their James Bond SP. He fell on the SBS jumps and she popped the throw loop into a single; all other elements were done fine (do NOT expect me to guess levels). Baga/Toth skated to some sassy musical (now I see Ice Network has the info here). You'd never think she's been doing pairs for just over a year. Donlan/Speroff skated a beautiful program to Meditation from Thais; he fell on the SBS jumps but she landed hers (may have been UR?). As a violinist I (naturally) have a quibble with the editing of the music but my guess is that 99% of people won't notice the cuts. [ETA: Sorry, I got it wrong--it was Toth who fell on the jumps, NOT Speroff.]

If I had to guess I'd say Donlan/Speroff won this SP, just based on the better presentation quality vs Baga/Toth, but Baga/Toth were certainly no slouches, nor were Kayne/O'Shea. Also I think Baga/Toth *may* have done a 2twist and D/S a 3twist but don't quote me on that.

Afterward all the pairs & judges/officials went upstairs for one-on-one feedback sessions so nope, no fangirly pictures to share.

Hopefully someone else will have scores tomorrow. The competition continues tomorrow with long programs in the morning, and then there's camp the rest of the weekend. MAJOR props to Alena Lunin, our skating director (and coach of a novice pair). She has worked her BUTT off to make this happen and I hope all the pairs have a great weekend!
    Last edited by LilJen; 06-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Thanks for the report, LilJen! All I know at this time is that the Senior SP placement order was Donlan/Speroff, Baga/Toth, Kayne/O'Shea.

Based on your description, the Junior pair sounds like Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban (N2 at Nationals), who are coached by Sergey Petrovskiy in the Detroit area (his wife is the choreographer Olga Volozhinskaya).

The 6 Novice pairs are: Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault N6, Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton N8, Alicia Bertsch/Austin Hale Int1 (Ft. Wayne pair coached by Alena Lunin), Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab Int2, Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, Cirinia Gillett/Maximiliano Fernandez (new team).

The Intermediate pair should be Cate Hawkins/Eric Hartley from the Cincinnati area.

ETA: If I find out (or anyone else knows) Senior SP scores, Novice or other results, please post.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-08-2013 at 04:09 AM.

vCash
    Thanks LilJen!

Oh what I wouldn't give to see Donlan/Speroff get some sbs jumps...

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast