Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA: It looks like several Senior pair teams will compete at the inaugural Fort Wayne Pair Classic in Indiana on June 7-8 in conjunction with attending the national pairs camp. So far I know of Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea, Baga/Toth and Shaughnessy/Morgan (up from Jr.).
    Oooh, interesting. It's so early in the season, it'll be interesting to see who puts out two programs and who is competing in just one.

Given the cost of an IJS competition (and pairs heavy competitions in general), I hope the competition has a solid turnout with at least a few dozen teams total across the levels entered. That, or some financial support from USFS due to the camp. It's going to be a challenge just to break even in a competition that's only IJS Pairs -- especially to fly in so many top level officials.

vCash
    There are at least 20 US pairs teams entered.

vCash
    That's great news!

vCash
    As always I hope D&S do well, though I have my doubts after seeing their latest exhibition skate to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" wherein they did sbs single jumps and then Gretchen missed her once reliable throw 3salchow, which has been missing in action this past season.

I just don't understand how just a few years ago they were 100% reliable on their throw jumps, but this past season they had trouble even on that once reliable element!? More's the pity, but I personally think it has to do with *both* confidence (first time they were ever one of the front runners this past season) and also Gretchen starting college this past season. Maybe she has to make a decision like so many before her have done, go to college part-time or not at all so she can concentrate on her skating, then when her skating career is over she can go to college full-time (ala Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc.). Just a thought is all...

Best of luck to them, as always!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ That was video from the 3rd Ice Chips show in 2 days for D/S, and for all we know, they had better earlier performances.

For DeeDee Leng/Timothy LeDuc fans ... I came across their lovely "Clair de Lune" exhibition performance from "Rhapsody on Ice" on December 1, 2012 (presented by the Eastern Iowa Figure Skating Club, Coe College Concert and Jazz bands): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHXX6OBKXE

I also found a local Iowa news video about their partnership (LeDuc focus) that aired after 2013 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNPTtnLfEY

Copying over from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Tim and DeeDee are still doing well -- it's been fun to be skating on a few sessions with them lately as they choreograph for the new season. There's a fun video on Tim's page of the two of them and Maxim Kovtun (all three at once) doing SBS 3Sals. Of course, Maxim has to work on his timing to synch with Tim and DeeDee...
    Sounds entertaining! I assume you have to be FB friends with LeDuc to watch his video?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Fo

Sounds entertaining! I assume you have to be FB friends with LeDuc to watch his video?
    I think so. I went to 'share' and it said "some people may not be able to see this video due to privacy settings." I think it doesn't say that if the video is public.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks for checking, Skittl1321.

BTW, based on Simon Shnapir's tweet yesterday -- "Somehow cheering for Bruins in Montreal feels wrong but that's not gonna stop me!" -- I assume he and Marissa Castelli are working with choreographer Julie Marcotte again.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-10-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Scimeca/Knierim are the latest skaters to be featured on the Boston 2014 site: http://www.boston2014.com/featured-s...a-and-knierim/ (the article linked in post #81 includes their program music & choreographers)

ETA this excerpt:
    Knierim, 25, started skating at the age of 12 in his hometown of San Diego, California, where his mother was a skating coach. He took up pairs at the age of 17. Knierim was the 2008 U.S. novice pair champion with Brynn Carman.
    Knierim competed at 2006 Junior Nationals in late 2005 in Intermediate Pairs with Shawnee Smith (before Carman).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    This season promises tough competition for the two U.S. pairs spots at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, and Denney and Frazier plan to be in the mix. In addition to targeting their program components scores, they're working to add more technical difficulty to their programs.

"When we came to John and Silvia, our jumps were one of our weaker points," Frazier said. "We worked on our technique and did well with [triple Salchows] going into nationals, although there were still a few bumps. This year we're hoping to add [triple] toes or flips, and the flips have been easier for us. We're putting in a carry lift, which is new for us, and we've been practicing throw triple flip."

For choreography, they're sticking with Canada's Julie Marcotte, who created last season's well-received La Strada free skate. This season, Marcotte choreographed their free to Notre-Dame de Paris, the music Meryl Davis and Charlie White used to win their second world ice dance title. Over the next several weeks, Marcotte will travel to Florida to finalize a new short program.

"Meryl and Charlie are huge role models for us, especially this past year," Frazier said. "We've studied their free dance and how they became those characters. That's another tool we can use to feed off of each other on the ice. So far, it's going even better than we expected."
    ETA: D/F reaped the benefits of Ingo Steuer/Savchenko/Szolkowy's recent visit to their rink for 2.5 weeks and it sounds like they intend to move up to the Senior Grand Prix this fall.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    ^sounds like they will get 2 Senior GP assignments this coming season as World Junior Champs?

They sound ambitious and they seem like they really benefitted from working a bit with Ingo Steuer, too. I'm also encouraged to hear they are having a relatively easy time with SBS 3flips

vCash
    ^^ I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the development of Denney/ Frazier. I'm excited about the possibilities for D/F, Sciemca/ Knierim and Davis/ Brubaker, although there are quite a few interesting U.S. pairings that have wonderful potential. If Donlan/ Speroff can get more confidence and consistency along with the improved jumps, they could be a dream team, or at the least more competitive.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Scroll down the above link where it mentions Evora & Ladwig skated together again in an exhibition. That's nice to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Scroll down the above link where it mentions Evora & Ladwig skated together again in an exhibition. That's nice to hear.
    It'd be even nicer to hear they were thinking about taking a run at the Olympics! They were by far my favourite American team of recent years!

vCash
    ^^ Yeah. Evora/ Ladwig did themselves proud at 2010 Olympics, no matter the low-balling by ISU judges.

vCash
    ^^ I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the development of Denney/ Frazier. I'm excited about the possibilities for D/F, Sciemca/ Knierim and Davis/ Brubaker, although there are quite a few interesting U.S. pairings that have wonderful potential. If Donlan/ Speroff can get more confidence and consistency along with the improved jumps, they could be a dream team, or at the least more competitive.

I honestly think that S/K, D/B and D/F will be the teams to watch in the next quadrennial, perhaps even next season. C/S have made improvements and we'll see how they figure in if they can actually go for bigger elements and fully overcome the height differential. D/C will have to do a better job of channeling who they are on the ice to keep up with the full potential of the aforementioned. Not so sure about the future of D/S. They really need to lock down the basic big moves quickly in order not to be forgotten.

vCash
    ^^ I agree with your viewpoints.

I was actually going to mention Castelli/Shnapir in the same vein that you did. I like them as a team and I think they performed well at Worlds this year but got the short end of the stick re the skating order and their placement suffered as a result. Definitely, C/S made improvements this season but will need to up the ante with more difficult elements and overcome their synchronization difficulties on sbs moves. They both also might be helped by training in ballet off-ice IMO (as should all figure skaters). I don't think that means having to love ballet or be balletic, but ballet training could help many skaters pay more attention to line, grace, musicality and performance aspects that can only enhance their athletic skills.

Donlan/ Speroff have so many exceptional qualities, but yes it is crucial for them to strengthen themselves technically, build more confidence and get over whatever hurdles they are facing as a team on and off the ice.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Oh man, that Fort Wayne pairs competition sounds amazing! I have something going on the Friday of that weekend but maybe I'll head up there on Saturday to see some of the competition. Hmmm....something to ponder.

I still miss Amanda & Mark....
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Denney/Frazier have improved loads to win Junior Worlds last season. I'd love to see them continue their upward trajectory and win Senior Nationals.

vCash
    ^^ I agree with your viewpoints.

I was actually going to mention Castelli/Shnapir in the same vein that you did. I like them as a team and I think they performed well at Worlds this year but got the short end of the stick re the skating order and their placement suffered as a result. Definitely, C/S made improvements this season but will need to up the ante with more difficult elements and overcome their synchronization difficulties on sbs moves. They both also might be helped by training in ballet off-ice IMO (as should all figure skaters). I don't think that means having to love ballet or be balletic, but ballet training could help many skaters pay more attention to line, grace, musicality and performance aspects that can only enhance their athletic skills.

It could be that C/S used the last season to 1) become clean on the SBS jumps and 2) develop their sense of style for PCS purposes (which was mostly effective if that is the case). But, yeah, bigger elements are going to become necessary - a 2nd set of SBS triples, higher level for the 3twist, and a more difficult throw jump to replace the throw 2x, as well as overcoming that height differential which screws up their unison, if they want to be a major threat for one of those 2 spots for Sochi and stay on top of the aforementioned.

Donlan/ Speroff have so many exceptional qualities, but yes it is crucial for them to strengthen themselves technically, build more confidence and get over whatever hurdles they are facing as a team on and off the ice.
    I would still rank S/K, D/F and D/B as teams to watch, but 2 other teams I didn't mention whom I wouldn't be surprised to see make a move towards the top are Z/B and K/O. Both teams already made big moves upward at the end of last season. I don't think they have quite the full potential of the aforementioned 3 teams but they could be a menace if they continue to improve

vCash
    ^^ Yes, I definitely agree as S/K, D/B and D/F are also my favorites right now. I also like D/S and C/S and U.S. Nationals will be in their backyard next year, so here's hoping one or both top Boston pairs teams at least make the podium -- C/S will seemingly be more likely to than D/S at this point.

Ya know, though, we gotta be realistic: Denney/ Coughlin are still big-time favored with USFS, and they are definitely sound and consistent with their major moves and technical elements. Interesting the fact that Haven has more aesthetically-pleasing lines and grace than does her older sister. There is a bit of a facial resemblance, but they don't share a strong resemblance at all. Is Haven taller or are they about the same height? It seems good for Haven and Brandon to have departed from Colorado for another training center and new coaches. Sappenfield already has the top two USFS-favored senior teams, and now with Haven and Brandon moving up to seniors, it's probably helpful they've broken away in order to receive more exclusive attention in their upward development.

With all the recent changes, is there an updated list of all the senior U.S. pair teams? Definitely Zhang/ Bartholomay surprised me with their improvements this season. They are hot to trot and will be very competitive. I'm not as enamored of K/O -- still a bit immature and unpolished for me -- but sure they are a solid team out of Florida.

Maybe the ranking is something like this at the moment (obviously based on my personal preferences to a large degree except for D/C.* But I have to put D/C in top three because they are still considered the USFS favorite unless something drastically changes next season):

Denney/ Coughlin
    Scimeca/ Knierim

Then, it will be a tough battle for third and fourth place between:
    Denney/ Frazier
    Davis/ Brubaker
    Castelli/ Shnapir
    Zhang/ Bartholomay

Seventh place and beyond and not sure of the order:
    Donlan/ Speroff
    Kayne/ O'Shea
    Baga/ Toth
    Leng/ LeDuc
    Bereswill/ Reagan

Who else am I missing? Are Simpson/ Blackmer remaining juniors this coming season?

*Re Denney/ Coughlin, I'm not down on them in terms of their talent and hard work, but I do prefer several other teams over them stylistically and aesthetically. However, D/C could be helped in their on-ice expressiveness and performance by improving their lines and posture, and by finding appropriate music that suits and enhances their unique personalities, instead of Sappenfield having them copy balletic, lyrical, romantic style which doesn't really suit them.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The 5 Junior pair teams from 2013 Nationals that have aged out of ISU Junior events in 2013-14 are:

Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer (J1) - have tested up to Senior in the U.S. (#24 in the ISU World Standings so they hopefully should receive 1 Sr. GP) & #36 in ISU SB scores list
    Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu (J2) #37 SB
    Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson (J5) #51 SB
    Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss (J6) #43 SB; both already have tested up to Senior in the U.S.
    Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan (J11) #59 SB

Also, Alexandria Shaughnessy/James Morgan (J10) are competing Senior at the Fort Wayne Pairs Classic, as mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't yet know if they have tested up to Senior.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-19-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: To add ISU SB score rankings

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast