Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    New Scimeca/Knierim article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Igor Shpilband has choreographed their new free skate, to music from the movie Ever After. The short program, to "Papa, Can You Hear Me," from Yentl, is being choreographed by Catarina Lindgren.

"It was awesome," Knierim said of working with Shpilband. "He had a lot of good ideas, and we're both really happy with the program."

"He's very patient with students and he made it comfortable for us," Scimeca added. "He had a storyline going from the beginning."

The free skate will interpret the movie, which stars Drew Barrymore in a lively Renaissance version of the Cinderella fairy tale. Scimeca will portray Cinderella after she has become a princess, with Knierim as her Prince Charming. Scimeca says the cut of the music is "inspirational."
    As well as training, the two will be skating in a show in Colorado Springs, Colo., next week. They said they might compete their short program at the Broadmoor Open at the end of June, and they are planning to compete at Skate Detroit.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ... Scimeca and Knierim are also considering taking some ballroom or ballet classes this summer...
    They should definitely take the ballet and try the ballroom too if they can fit both into their schedule. Ballet training can only help any skaters in their on-ice presentation.

S/K's new programs sound delightful ... good luck to them.

vCash
    Bereswill and Reagan have teamed up at DSC:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Five favorite things with Donlan and Speroff

at the pair that they aspire to be like.

vCash
    Donlan/Speroff's new exhibition is to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - links to videos, photos and an article (excerpted below) are posted in the "Ice Chips" show thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...the-Shibutanis
    1980 Olympian Sheryl Franks has choreographed Donlan and Speroff's programs for the coming season. Their short program will be to "Meditation" from Thaïs, and they'll be skating to the pas de deux from The Nutcracker for their free skate.

"We wanted to do what we do well," Speroff said. "Last year, we tried too hard."

"We want to polish more than last year," Donlan said. "Last year, we were so concentrated on training that we didn't spend as much time on the small details. Andrew and I will capitalize on our strengths, holding our line, making sure every extension is full and big."

Speroff did mention that all of the lifts and throws in the free skate will be in the second half.

Donlan, a freshman at Boston University, says she's on the pre-med track, hoping to become a doctor. She is loving college, and she was excited because her roommates were at the show.
    An update on Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (2013 Junior Pairs bronze medalists) was published in the 4/16 "Inside Edge" blog (scroll down to "Sharpies"): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    "We decided to stay junior just because we're age-eligible, and we want to focus on our junior Grand Prix and, hopefully, junior worlds," said Madeline, who is Max Aaron's younger sister. "It's hard to go back and forth, so we just want to put all our effort into one [level]."

The pair needs to add a throw triple toe jump, which is a required element in the short program for juniors. Apart from that, they don't plan major technical changes.

"We kind of put it all in last year," Aaron said. "By nationals, we had the triple twist, and that was really exciting."

Aaron and Settlage will be skating to "Smile," in a version by Itzhak Perlman, for their short program next season. Caterina Lindgren choreographed the program. Julie Marcotte is going to choreograph their free skate in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-03-2013 at 04:49 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I cannot wait to see D&S's programs. They're just so exquisite and I love them even more now that I know they're fans of Elena & Anton.

I hope to see them break through and make some major teams, but even if they don't, they'll still be the prettiest American team out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Five favorite things with Donlan and Speroff

at the pair that they aspire to be like.
    Thanks for sharing! Have always liked this pair and would like to see them move up. at Donlan's response about carrots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Bereswill and Reagan have teamed up at DSC:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Here's the link to the separate thread I started in GSD: Becky Bereswill & Joshua Reagan join a growing pairs program at Detroit SC

And here's the link to the D/C update article thread in GSD: Denney & Coughlin reveal their 2013-14 programs choreographed by Julie Marcotte

If anyone missed watching, the link to videos of Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker's public debut in a Chicago area show is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3912597

ETA: It looks like several Senior pair teams will compete at the inaugural Fort Wayne Pair Classic in Indiana on June 7-8 in conjunction with attending the national pairs camp. So far I know of Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea, Baga/Toth and Shaughnessy/Morgan (up from Jr.).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    It'll be nice to see Shaughnessy/Morgan up in Seniors. I've liked them for a few years. They lack power and speed, but are wonderfully matched and elegant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Donlan/Speroff's new exhibition is to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - links to videos, photos and an article (excerpted below) are posted in the "Ice Chips" show thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...the-Shibutanis
    IDK. I don't think 'trying too hard' was the problem, and 'polishing' or 'details' aren't the solution. They need to overcome their fears and consistently land the basic big elements, especially her (throws; SBS jumps). With an increase in the potential for good US teams, they'll slide down the ladder at Nationals and never get close to the podium if they don't straighten out their SBS jumps and stay consistent on their throws. I know they have their fans and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I find the fact she has trouble landing a 2x very frustrating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    IDK. I don't think 'trying too hard' was the problem, and 'polishing' or 'details' aren't the solution. They need to overcome their fears and consistently land the basic big elements, especially her (throws; SBS jumps). With an increase in the potential for good US teams, they'll slide down the ladder at Nationals and never get close to the podium if they don't straighten out their SBS jumps and stay consistent on their throws. I know they have their fans and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I find the fact she has trouble landing a 2x very frustrating.
    Yeah, it's kinda like with Kemp and King, can't move up in the world because they just can't land their jumps and throws (usually).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA: It looks like several Senior pair teams will compete at the inaugural Fort Wayne Pair Classic in Indiana on June 7-8 in conjunction with attending the national pairs camp. So far I know of Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea, Baga/Toth and Shaughnessy/Morgan (up from Jr.).
    I swear I have like 4 different things going on that weekend. . . but I REALLY want to go see this. Can get in some volunteer hours, too
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I like this team a lot, but I agree with your comments. As long as they remain inconsistent with their jumps and throws, they're likely to slide in the standings at US Nationals. No matter how I ooh and ahh at their superb presentation, that only takes a pair so far. They need the jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    I like this team a lot, but I agree with your comments. As long as they remain inconsistent with their jumps and throws, they're likely to slide in the standings at US Nationals. No matter how I ooh and ahh at their superb presentation, that only takes a pair so far. They need the jumps.
    To expand on my point about other US pairs, they may end up getting passed by an improving K/O and the newly formed D/B (if things go well) in addition to those who were already in front of them like D/C, C/S (who passed them this past year), the newly formed S/K, Z/B, and D/F coming up from the Juniors. And fighting with teams like L/L (who make mistakes but at least show some fire and ambition) or B/T for being no. 8, all this after being on the podium at one point and even touted as a possible favorite last year after D/C withdrew from Nationals and M/B and E/L had split and retired. It's frustrating to see.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, it's kinda like with Kemp and King, can't move up in the world because they just can't land their jumps and throws (usually).
    What is their deal, anyway?

vCash
    Another video of the show for Lindsay and Rockne:http://youtu.be/e035KyMMpww
    To expand on my point about other US pairs, they may end up getting passed by an improving K/O and the newly formed D/B (if things go well) in addition to those who were already in front of them like D/C, C/S (who passed them this past year), the newly formed S/K, Z/B, and D/F coming up from the Juniors. And fighting with teams like L/L (who make mistakes but at least show some fire and ambition) or B/T for being no. 8, all this after being on the podium at one point and even touted as a possible favorite last year after D/C withdrew from Nationals and M/B and E/L had split and retired. It's frustrating to see.

What is their deal, anyway?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    To expand on my point about other US pairs, they may end up getting passed by an improving K/O and the newly formed D/B (if things go well) in addition to those who were already in front of them like D/C, C/S (who passed them this past year), the newly formed S/K, Z/B, and D/F coming up from the Juniors. And fighting with teams like L/L (who make mistakes but at least show some fire and ambition) or B/T for being no. 8, all this after being on the podium at one point and even touted as a possible favorite last year after D/C withdrew from Nationals and M/B and E/L had split and retired. It's frustrating to see...
    I can't disagree. It is puzzling to see D/S downward spiral this past season. It makes me wonder what might be the problem and the solution?? Is it something to do with emotional growing pains, training problems, equipment problems, nagging injuries, technique issues that are not being adequately addressed, off-ice problems, timing and partnership issues, coaching and training site dynamics??? Clearly, D/S were in line to move up, and with the break-up of several top teams and the injury problems D/C experienced, D/S could have been in the position of their training mates, C/S, this past season.

In their breakthrough performances at Nationals in 2012, D/S looked fairly solid, albeit with obvious improvements still needed re sbs jumps and synchronization on sbs spins. However, their throw jumps and throw twists were fine (if not their greatest strengths). Gretchen doubled a triple in the fp, and they showed a need for improvement and strengthening of certain elements, as I said. But otherwise, they looked very promising and on an upward spiral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj5_0UAFgIk 2012 US Nats sp Room With a View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEdwrH1ZMs 2012 US Nats fp Sleeping Beauty

Wonderfully there's no commentary in these clips. D/S music was absolutely well-suited and exquisite for them. Is that one of the solutions perhaps. Do they need to choose the kind of music that they can be totally uplifted and inspired by and that suits their style of skating? Re the technique problems, they've got to decide to try something different if status quo isn't working. IOW, more intensive practice and assistance from outside technical experts. And find great music, not just good music. Further explore the personal dynamics of their partnership too. Make sure they are both single-mindedly committed to achieving the same goals. It would be a shame to not see these two overcome their current obstacles. The linked programs evince something of grandeur and magic -- not to mention hints of G/G possibilities.

D/S music at Ice Chips event certainly says it all: Together they need to build a Bridge Over Troubled Water.

What's your take, 5Ali3?

vCash
    Regarding Donlan/Speroff, I remember reading an article about them that mentioned their struggles through the season. IIRC, Gretchen mentioned what an adjustment college was for her. So perhaps that could have been a factor. I don't think they struggled with injury, but I could be wrong. I love their style so much, and hope that they can improve and show their potential.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, thanks. I wasn't aware that Gretchen entered college this past season. Trying to focus on both can be difficult. Everyone's different ... it works for some people, including Debi Thomas and Christina Gao. Although, has Christina decided to take some time off for the Olympic season?

vCash
    ^I do think Gretchen was ill at the Senior B competition in Graz, Austria (name of it escapes me). Still, I would bet there is something else going on besides 'adjustment to college'. I remember they had trouble even having the DS count as an element in one of their competition this past season. If it were quality of coaching, I don't think that ice mates C/S would be improving in both PCS and consistency on their SBS jumps. And, they don't really have wonky technique on any element that stands out in my mind. No, I think it's either 1) plain, old fashioned lack of confidence when the spotlight turns on; or 2) personal relationship with their coaches or each other

vCash
    ^^ Yes but something else off-ice too along with the confidence factor, or is it just a domino effect once confidence is lost with a team that is still in the early stages of developing and technical strength was never an asset? In any case, facing up to it and talking it out, getting help, and being on the same page commitment-wise seems important. Also, choosing the right music that they can be inspired by might be a boon.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast