Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 943
  1. #881

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I think olympic meant Davis/Brubaker.
    I had already forgotten them. Oops. A big fat to me!!

  2. #882
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    D/S are the guest stars at the Middlebury College Winter Carnival ice show Friday, Feb 21st at 7pm, and Sat. Feb 22nd at 2pm. They have done this show for the last 4 years.

  3. #883
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not if they stay with Sappenfeld. U.S. pairs issues are complicated, but the lack of truly strong U.S. pairs coaches is a good place to start. Nicks is retired. Who else do you feel confident about?
    Not sure about this Sappenfield is very decorated so are her pairs and not just with PSA but with having the Champions in all levels at a Nationals previous. Not only that many pairs at Nationals, Jr. World's, and World's period. Also her pairs seem to have choreographers that are decorated too Julie Marcott, just to mention one. Everyone learns but as far as a pairs coach especially a woman she is the one. IF S/K believe it I think that is as important as pairs staying together rather than thinking the grass is greener and jumping coaches.

  4. #884

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    Not sure about this Sappenfield is very decorated so are her pairs and not just with PSA but with having the Champions in all levels at a Nationals previous. Not only that many pairs at Nationals, Jr. World's, and World's period. Also her pairs seem to have choreographers that are decorated too Julie Marcott, just to mention one. Everyone learns but as far as a pairs coach especially a woman she is the one. IF S/K believe it I think that is as important as pairs staying together rather than thinking the grass is greener and jumping coaches.
    She is accomplished nationally, but has struggled to produce pairs who succeed internationally and she struggles even more with packaging her teams. S/K's Ever After LP this year was a total miss, for example. I'm not suggesting S/K split up, I'm suggesting they find a coach who can package them better and work on the details. I wish Mr. Nicks wasn't retired.

  5. #885

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,169
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33791
    Quote Originally Posted by n*ice mom View Post
    D/S are the guest stars at the Middlebury College Winter Carnival ice show Friday, Feb 21st at 7pm, and Sat. Feb 22nd at 2pm. They have done this show for the last 4 years.
    WHAAAAA???? How come I never heard about this? What's the connection? (Sorry to hijack the thread--Midd alum here.)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  6. #886
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Re good coaches in the US: Has Oleg Vasiliev returned to Russia? He used to / still may coach in the Chicago area (?)

  7. #887
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    I doubt C/S will retire. Yes, they're 26 and 23 but look at the ages of the top 5 pair teams after the Olympic SP.
    I hope they don't retire because they are clearly becoming successful- but I think their age, especially his, makes a big difference. If you look at the top 5 pairs teams at the Olympics, I think a big difference is funding. Russia and China fund their athletes well. I don't know about Germany, but they are a top international pair so they likely have decent sponsorship. Canada has a situation more like the USA.

    So C/S may be in the age range of still being able to compete- but for how long can they afford it? Pairs don't get good sponsorships in the US, heck, most singles don't anymore. Spending $80k-100k a year can only go on for so long, not to mention the opportunity cost of not starting/building a career, not starting retirement savings, etc. Top 10 at the Olympics is phenomenal, and I truly truly hope they continue, but I'd understand if they have met their goal and decide to move on.

  8. #888

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    637
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Olympic, to answer your question: Last I read, Vasiliev was back in Russia, working in St. Petersburg.

    Skittl1321, I'm sure you're right that funding could be a concern with Marissa/Simon. Living expenses in Boston are likely much higher than in Florida or Colorado Springs, where many other U.S. pairs train. I can tell you one thing, though: Simon is making some money coaching. One of my husband's coworkers has a daughter who competes juvenile or intermediate out of SC of Boston. Simon is her main coach! :-)

  9. #889
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She is accomplished nationally, but has struggled to produce pairs who succeed internationally and she struggles even more with packaging her teams. S/K's Ever After LP this year was a total miss, for example. I'm not suggesting S/K split up, I'm suggesting they find a coach who can package them better and work on the details. I wish Mr. Nicks wasn't retired.

    I love Mr.Nicks I get your point but he did nothing for Rockne but man if I was him I would retire and go on permanent vacation!! He so deserves it. I just think Sappenfield is still learning too and young. Growing with her students and excuse me but World's a 9th PLACE with a NEW team is obviously not shabby!!! and that year they also won the EDI Senior program award from PSA for HER choreography so???
    A new team takes time to grow so time should be given many have suggested Jason Brown switch coaches and he did not and look? SO that is part of the problem. Stick with it grow together get on a plan and obviously S/K can win the PSA Award Jason did this year at Nationals for her choreography and place 9th at World's their first year together I say they stay and since I believe Sappenfield took from NICKS it is better to stay like Jason did with his coach and keep working!! but just an opinion. Grass is not greener. There is success stay put and stick with it!

    Not just for S/K but That goes for all our teams that have potential. Just know working with your partner staying together and with your coach improve together and maybe we will have a winning team on a World level. Russians do it, Chinese do it, German's do it, and any other country with pairs do it time for USA to do it! Stop hopping around thinking somethings better WORK ! When there has been success and then regroup learn grow and move on but stay with your coach and together!! Learn together and then kick Ass America !!

    Having a hard second year for a new team that is growing is totally in the realm of normal and the long I thought was beautiful but this is a team developing so who knows what is next for them? they keep improving . I love Sappenfield cause she has fight and balls and frankly not trying to offend is a WOMAN! She also has much to learn and grow but the talent is there for all of them.

    My hope is that our top teams stay together as a team including coaches and where they are. Train learn and kick some butt-O this year!! STOP thinking someone is better and grow learn and DO IT BETTER!

  10. #890
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,181
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    Not sure about this Sappenfield is very decorated so are her pairs and not just with PSA
    So is Zakrajsek So is McLeod, and she's been more successful than most, with Reynolds in the Top 5 at Worlds this year and with Sandhu before him, but there's a ceiling with them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I hope they don't retire because they are clearly becoming successful- but I think their age, especially his, makes a big difference. If you look at the top 5 pairs teams at the Olympics, I think a big difference is funding. Russia and China fund their athletes well. I don't know about Germany, but they are a top international pair so they likely have decent sponsorship.
    I don't know whether this goes any deeper than they highest-level skaters, but Szolkowy was an army athlete until he could no longer be funded with federal funds (via the army) unless he gave up Steuer as his coach, due to Steuer's Stasi past. S/S had to get private sponsorships to continue training with him.

    The Chinese have a centralized system. The Russians have generous funding and support for athletes at the highest level. The Germans have Ingo Steuer.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  11. #891

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1241
    Finally found this biotch, time to bump it to the top!

    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MADDY & MAX, THEY SKATE @ JR. WORLD THIS WEEK!!!! I can't wait, yeah! And IN is gonna be covering it, WOOHOO!!!!!!:

  12. #892

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Nice Gretchen Donlan article/video: http://www.bu.edu/today/2014/gretche...ng-and-premed/

    Looks like Donlan/Speroff are continuing together.

  13. #893

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    637
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sylvia tweeted this blog post from Joshua Santillan, a U.S. pairs skater: http://www.olivia-josh.com/blog/.

  14. #894

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    getting ready to explore the world
    Posts
    3,005
    vCash
    806
    Rep Power
    11737
    [QUOTE=reese;4202287]Nice Gretchen Donlan article/video: http://www.bu.edu/today/2014/gretche...ng-and-premed/

    Looks like Donlan/Speroff are continuing

    Literally out loud!

  15. #895
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I will only get excited for D/S if it's revealed they are consistently landing their SBS jumps

  16. #896

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1241
    M&M are in 5th place after the SP. That's a great position b/c the three Russian pair teams' + the 1 Chinese pair team in front of them were FAB! Madeline & Max have to upgrade their throw2T to a triple and also their 2twist needs to be bigger, way bigger. That's the main difference between M&M versus the Russians + Chinese. jmho.

    Thanks, reese, for the video & article about Gretchen Donlan. Elegant as always, and I'm so glad she's participating in her university's skating team competition. It's great practice for her and will build her single skills. Loved the video of her doing her favorite skating jump ~ thee Tano 2Lutz! I've always wished she & Andrew would put this in their programs. *sigh* Btw, after reading the articles on their site + the article here I'm not as positive as the rest of you that they'll stay together, though I'm crossing my fingers they do so. They've been together 5 yrs. already and have come a loooooooooong way, winning their first two international gold medals this past season! : rollin:

  17. #897
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Sylvia tweeted this blog post from Joshua Santillan, a U.S. pairs skater: http://www.olivia-josh.com/blog/.
    Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    M&M are in 5th place after the SP. That's a great position b/c the three Russian pair teams' + the 1 Chinese pair team in front of them were FAB! Madeline & Max have to upgrade their throw2T to a triple and also their 2twist needs to be bigger, way bigger. That's the main difference between M&M versus the Russians + Chinese. jmho.

    Thanks, reese, for the video & article about Gretchen Donlan. Elegant as always, and I'm so glad she's participating in her university's skating team competition. It's great practice for her and will build her single skills. Loved the video of her doing her favorite skating jump ~ thee Tano 2Lutz! I've always wished she & Andrew would put this in their programs. *sigh* Btw, after reading the articles on their site + the article here I'm not as positive as the rest of you that they'll stay together, though I'm crossing my fingers they do so. They've been together 5 yrs. already and have come a loooooooooong way, winning their first two international gold medals this past season! : rollin:
    Maddie and Max don't need to worry about their double twist or throw double toe after this short program, I think they are just fine.

    I'm also really excited about Gretchen and Andrew!

  18. #898

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33078
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Looks like Donlan/Speroff are continuing

    Literally out loud!
    That's a lovely article about Gretchen, but doesn't really say anything specifically about her and Andrew skating together next season, just about her plans to stay involved in skating...Did I miss something?

  19. #899

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    That's a lovely article about Gretchen, but doesn't really say anything specifically about her and Andrew skating together next season, just about her plans to stay involved in skating...Did I miss something?
    Yes, the article is vague, but the video at the top seems to heavily imply it, with practice footage and an interview with Andrew.

  20. #900

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33078
    I hope the implication comes true in that case.

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •