Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Of the teams below S/K and C/S, I think Denney/Frazier are the best right now and could make the final group. Beyond that, I would have to pick Donlan/Speroff because they've beaten Kayne/O'Shea but the latter pair is quite ambitious and exhibits a lot of raw talent. Only a miracle would put Davis/Brubaker in contention. Zhang/Bartholomay looked good over the summer but have only had one good skate (SA LP) this year, but they surprised last year

vCash
    I think that barring a terrible performance, the top 3 contenders should remain in the top 3, especially with bias. That being said, I wouldn't be that surprised if Kayne/ O'Shea pull off some sort of upset and move into even as high as 3rd place. In all reality, Kayne/ O'Shea, Denney/ Frazier, Donlan/ Speroff, & Zhang/ Bartholomay are ALL in the running for 4th place. Hopefully they all make good showings; nothing is more exciting than a tight race at the top!

vCash
    I think either C/S or S/K would have to bomb and K/O would have to skate great for K/O to creep up to a bronze medal. But, things like that are always possible and unpredictable. Z/B could make a run for the podium as well. Last year, they were subpar but came back strong by Nationals. However, for D/B, it's more than low scores: It's not 'clicking' for whatever reason and they need to sort that out.

I also think the Pairs competition at Nationals will be more interesting than it has been for years. I forgot to mention a favorite team of mine - Leng/LeDuc. They were great in the PS at Coupe de Nice but faltered in the LP. They have the 6th highest SP score among all US pairs and it stands to reason they could be in the penultimate group at Nationals going into the LP

vCash
    I agree, I can't wait for the pairs event at Nationals. I do think it will be much better than in recent seasons, there just is a lot more depth now. And I haven't forgotten about Leng/LeDuc, either. So far I've only seen them once, at the preseason pairs event this summer (Indy Classic?--can't remember the name). I was impressed, they seemed like a very solid team, with a good balance of skills. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I agree, I can't wait for the pairs event at Nationals. I do think it will be much better than in recent seasons, there just is a lot more depth now. And I haven't forgotten about Leng/LeDuc, either. So far I've only seen them once, at the preseason pairs event this summer (Indy Classic?--can't remember the name). I was impressed, they seemed like a very solid team, with a good balance of skills. Looking forward to seeing more of them.
    Anyone know how many Pairs teams will be at Nationals? Last year it was a bit embarrassing that there were only 10 teams competing. I would imagine with much more depth this year it should be more like 14-15.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Anyone know how many Pairs teams will be at Nationals?
    12 Senior pairs; 10 competed internationally this fall.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope that C/S or S/K have to skate their best to gain an olympic spot and it is not just handed to them on reputation. There are several teams (mentioned above) who could give them a run for their money if they don't skate their best.

I am personally excited to see how Donlan and Speroff skate at Nationals. They have made some significant improvements in their jumping and their consistency on their throws seems to be returning. They already had spectacular lifts and a good triple twist. Hopefully they can continue to build upon this season in the coming years. I think they along with Kayne and Oshea, Zhang and Bartholomay and Denney and Frazier have an outside shot at unseating either C/S or S/K if they don't skate their best. Should be an exciting Nationals.
    Last edited by hippychick; 12-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hippychick View Post
    I hope that C/S or S/K have to skate their best to gain an olympic spot and it is not just handed to them on reputation. There are several teams (mentioned above) who could give them a run for their money if they don't skate their best.

I am personally excited to see how Donlan and Speroff skate at Nationals. They have made some significant improvements in their jumping and their consistency on their throws seems to be returning. They already had spectacular lifts and a good triple twist. Hopefully they can continue to build upon this season in the coming years. I think they along with Kayne and Oshea, Zhang and Bartholomay and Denney and Frazier have an outside shot at unseating either C/S or S/K if they don't skate their best. Should be an exciting Nationals.
    With only two slots in Sochi, don't see the less experienced pair teams upsetting the apple cart. Still see D/C going and one of C/S or S/K. D/S, D/F and others mentioned above will have to wait another 4 yr cycle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Anyone know how many Pairs teams will be at Nationals? Last year it was a bit embarrassing that there were only 10 teams competing. I would imagine with much more depth this year it should be more like 14-15.
    Last time nationals was in Boston there were only 7 senior dance teams. Results are here if you are interested - http://www.usfigureskating.org/event.../freedance.htm Back to pairs - disciplines have their ups and downs. Pairs is definitely in the rebuilding process.

vCash
    Here's the link to Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea's journal on their new official site - they wrote about their bronze medal-winning Austrian trip earlier this month: http://figureskatersonline.com/kayne-oshea/journal/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    A new thread on GoldenSkate is speculating that Mary Beth Marley and Matthew Blackmer may be doing a tryout soon. Note, it's purely speculation at this point, based on some tweets from Mary Beth and Matt (found thanks to Mrs. P). But I know fans/supporters of Mary Beth will be excited about this possible news, if true. I'm excited, anyhow. I have been so hoping for Mary Beth to find a new partner and continue her career, if health allows.

According to Wikipedia, Matt is 5'11" and 22. Mary Beth is 4'10" and 18. I have yet to see Matt skate, so I know nothing about his style and how it might mesh with Mary Beth's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's the link to Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea's journal on their new official site - they wrote about their bronze medal-winning Austrian trip earlier this month: http://figureskatersonline.com/kayne-oshea/journal/
    Very interesting blog. (((Danny's costume))) I love the picture that accompanies the journal entry.

A new thread on GoldenSkate is speculating that Mary Beth Marley and Matthew Blackmer may be doing a tryout soon. Note, it's purely speculation at this point, based on some tweets from Mary Beth and Matt (found thanks to Mrs. P). But I know fans/supporters of Mary Beth will be excited about this possible news, if true. I'm excited, anyhow. I have been so hoping for Mary Beth to find a new partner and continue her career, if health allows.

According to Wikipedia, Matt is 5'11" and 22. Mary Beth is 4'10" and 18. I have yet to see Matt skate, so I know nothing about his style and how it might mesh with Mary Beth's.
    Great news! I hope it's true.

vCash
    When did Blackmer and Simpson split up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh466 View Post
    When did Blackmer and Simpson split up?
    Press release was published on December 2nd -- see post #677 in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4068144

vCash

There are videos on YouTube of Britney and Matthew -- the one of them in their 2013 fs at junior worlds shows some of the difficulties they were having in terms of being a bit too close in size to be effectively competitive in the current pairs scene 're technical demands. They have had some lovely skates in prior seasons that I've enjoyed. It's sad to see their disappointment in the kiss 'n cry. I hope they both will be able to find suitable partners and continue their competitive careers.

A lovely Canadian team that recently split I believe due to the difficulties of similar height are Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro. They were so musical and very stylish together. It's too bad that pairs who are otherwise well-matched have to break up for size reasons.

Anyway, I think Mary Beth might be a great match for Matthew style, size and age-wise. Fingers crossed for them -- the possibilities make me excited since I've missed seeing Mary Beth on the ice.

vCash
    A lovely Canadian team that recently split I believe due to the difficulties of similar height are Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro. They were so musical and very stylish together. It's too bad that pairs who are otherwise well-matched have to break up for size reasons.
    They did? They're listed on the start order for Canadians which just came out today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    They did? They're listed on the start order for Canadians which just came out today.
    I guess what I heard was just a rumor then. I'm glad if they're still together.

vCash
    ^I remember reading lots of praise on FSU for Simpson / Blackmer and so I watched them skate one day. I was not that impressed just for the reason cited above; she looked to big for him. Purdy / Marinaro are in the same boat, but it's certainly their decision to stay together and give it a try. Judges seem to like them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^ I was not that impressed just for the reason cited above; she looked to big for him.
    Or we could say ,'he is too small for her....' or even better, ' they are too close in size.'

Words are powerful beasties. We should probably tread carefully. Food for thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterpop View Post
    Or we could say ,'he is too small for her....' or even better, ' they are too close in size.'

Words are powerful beasties. We should probably tread carefully. Food for thought.

Agreed. "They are too close in size." That's the way to go.

Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast