Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    vCash
    To be honest i wish Marissa would get a better partner. Simon seems to always screw up in some way and he just seems stiff out there on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be honest i wish Marissa would get a better partner. Simon seems to always screw up in some way and he just seems stiff out there on the ice.
    That is just harsh. A male pair skater trying his best. But I guess his best wasn't good enough... Maybe he should just quit and free Marissa from his screw up.

vCash
    Well, Castelli and Schnapir have been skating together for 7.5 years--which is a lifetime in the context of typical US pairs longevity. So she must see some benefit in sticking with him and vice-versa. I don't see any particular issues in their skating that can't be resolved with the right coaching, choreographic, and artistic off-ice inputs from their support Team. And of course, lots of practice. And let's face it, right now just about every US pairs team has some sort of deficiency or awkwardness either technical or artistic, that needs to be worked on.

vCash
    Simon is so unreliable with his solo jumps. That will always hold them back. John Z said that he knew he had to land his jumps, otherwise he would get the stare of death from Kyoko, LOL.

vCash
    Denney, Coughlin gradually rounding into form
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/14/63915392

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Denney, Coughlin gradually rounding into form
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/14/63915392
    Jean-Christophe Berlot interviewed them after Thursday's practice at TEB.

Photo of D/C at the Eiffel Tower: http://pic.twitter.com/ID3gTMpuZi
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Simon is so unreliable with his solo jumps. That will always hold them back. John Z said that he knew he had to land his jumps, otherwise he would get the stare of death from Kyoko, LOL.
    Now there's an idea, scare Simon into landing his jumps. Maybe Marissa is just too sweet and needs to get herself a Stare of Death. We could refer her to Barbara Fusar-Poli for lessons!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Well, Castelli and Schnapir have been skating together for 7.5 years--which is a lifetime in the context of typical US pairs longevity. So she must see some benefit in sticking with him and vice-versa. I don't see any particular issues in their skating that can't be resolved with the right coaching, choreographic, and artistic off-ice inputs from their support Team. And of course, lots of practice. And let's face it, right now just about every US pairs team has some sort of deficiency or awkwardness either technical or artistic, that needs to be worked on.
    I kind of love that they've stayed skating together even though they've admitted that they were not the best of friends or even liked each other that much for most of their partnership and could have taken an easy out and said the height difference made the partnership unworkable. There's obviously at the very least respect there and a commitment that's been lacking in US pairs. I also don't think there's a male partner in the world (maybe setting aside superhuman V/T )who does a better job showing off his partner in lifts. If they can get the throw quad consistent and keep their gorgeous lifts, I'd work on spins a bit and go for slightly easier jump content. They should be miles ahead of D/C pCS wise. If only the judges agreed.

Cup of Russia will be telling. If S/K are still a hot mess, C/S are looking better for the Olympics. My dream team though is C/S & S/K. Trying to get onboard with the fact that the odds are against that happening.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I remember seeing them online 4-5 years ago and thinking that I wished Castelli would find a partner who had some of her life and strength. Obviously, she didn't listen
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Denney/Coughlin have made nice improvements this year. I really love how they eliminated her weaker lift positions and made their lifts more impressive in the process. They're not without fault, but they pretty much always skate well (oftentimes clean), have 3twist/throws that stand out among the best in the world, and will most likely be crucial to Team USA's medal chances in the team event. Pairs and Mens are the two events where people are predicting the US to give away a lot of points, but on a normal day, D/C should be able to keep us close enough to Canada's pair, which will be a top mission.
    I think this is a reasonable assessment, especially after Denney/Coughlin's bronze at TEB today. They scored close to their ISU personal bests (2012 Four Continents) in Paris with 184.01 total and 120.49 in FS and set a new personal best of 63.52 in the SP.

ETA Senior international scores so far this season (after TEB):

188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    184.01 Denney/Coughlin (63.52 SP, 120.49 FS; TEB, 3rd)
    182.43 Denney/Coughlin (62.06 SP, 120.37 FS; Skate America, 4th)
    177.11 Castelli/Shnapir (62.56 SP, 114.55 FS; Skate America, 6th)
    168.89 Castelli/Shnapir (58.60 SP, 110.29 FS; NHK Trophy, 4th)
    168.42 Zhang/Bartholomay (55.83 SP, 112.59 FS; Skate America, 7th)
    167.85 Denney/Frazier (58.67 SP, 109.18 FS; NHK Trophy, 5th)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    161.72 Scimeca/Knierim (57.99 SP, 103.73 FS; Cup of China, 5th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    158.82 Denney/Frazier (55.01 SP, 103.82 FS; Skate Canada, 5th)
    157.28 Calalang/Sidhu (51.94 SP, 105.34 FS; Coupe de Nice, 2nd)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    155.52 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.33 SP, 105.19 FS; Cup of China, 6th)
    153.71 Davis/Brubaker (52.69 SP, 101.02 FS; Skate Canada, 6th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    141.01 Leng/LeDuc (57.95 SP, 83.06 FS; Coupe de Nice, 6th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

International medal count: 1 Grand Prix bronze, 1 Senior B gold, 2 Senior B silvers, 2 Senior B bronzes won by 5 different teams; 1 JGP silver (Aaron/Settlage).

Events to come next week:
    Rostelecom Cup: Davis/Brubaker, Scimeca/Knierim
    Ice Challenge, Graz, Austria (Senior B): Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea
    U.S. Sectionals
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Re-posting what I posted over in the K&C just now (copied & pasted):

There's so much skating I honestly cannot keep track of it all! I know I would like to see Rachael Flatt skate at Sectionals on IN, but then again I would also like to see Donlan & Speroff skate at their Sr. B competition, which I think takes place this week as well? Furthermore, there's Rostelecom Cup going on at the same time, I just cannot watch them all, especially when they're not compatible with the things I'm doing, otherwise I miss out. And to tell the truth I don't like to catch it later on at IN, rather I'd like to watch it live.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :

PS: Denney & Coughlin were AWESOME at TEB (their lifts out of this world)!

vCash
    2013 Novice champs Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens (a.k.a. here as "Divette/Utah") have withdrawn officially from the Midwestern Sectional Junior Pairs event. He (@EUStevens) tweeted last night:
    Withdrawing is never an easy decision, nor is healing injuries, but everything happens for a reason..I see it as just adding fuel to fire

#ComeBackStronger
    Sophia Dai/Jeffery Fishman (5th in Novice at 2013 Nationals) have also WD from Mids Jr. Pairs.

ETA:
    Re-posting the updated Sectional rosters now that the starting orders are published (competition dates are Nov. 20-23, 2013); adding Intermediate & Juvenile:

SENIOR
    Eastern: Shaughnessy/Morgan plan to skate their programs as an exhibition.
    Midwestern: no event held
    Pacific (2): Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss

JUNIOR
    Eastern: no event held
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer, I assume: Oltmanns/Santillan (or Pacifics?), McDougal/Schatz, Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne (or Pacifics?)

Midwestern (4): Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage, Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban, Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson, Aya Takai/Brian Johnson
    [WD: Sophia Dai/Jeffrey Fishman, Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens]

Pacific (2): Elise Middleton/Anthony Evans, AnnaMarie Pearce/Jason Pacini
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer: Liu/Perini

NOVICE
    Eastern (7): Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab, Cirinia Gillett/Maximiliano Fernandez, Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault, Nicole Lee/Timothy Habeeb, Victoria LoRusso/Brandon Kozlowski, Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz, Joy Weinberg/Michael Lueck

Midwestern (6): Hilary Asher/Luke Kirchgessner, Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton, Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, Kailey Matkin/Justin Highgate-Brutman, Macy Peterson/Daniel Arsenault, Lindsay Weinstein/Jacob Simon
    [WD: Alicia Bertsch/Austin Hale]

Pacific (9): Katie Dano/Lyle Kosinski, Juliette Erickson/Alexander Brauner, Breanna Harris/Nathan Grundhofer, Reagan King/Rique Newby-Estrella, Jessica Lee/Robert Hennings, Aditya Nandy/Ananya Nandy, Annabelle Schneider-Farris/Joel Schneider-Farris, Ai Setoyama/David Botero, Alexandria Yao/Connor Fleming

INTERMEDIATE
    Eastern (6): Chelsea Allen/Davis Kim, Sydney Cooke/Nathaniel Dennler, Joanna Hubbart/William Hubbart, Annabel Kim/Jonathan Kim, Sabrina Piliero/Davis Tong, Maxine Weatherby/Mickey Sinthawachiwa

Midwestern (7): Remington Bennett/Jacob Nussle, Kate Finster/Joseph Goodpaster, Cate Hawkins/Eric Hartley, Taylor HliebayJacob Schenten, Sophia Pearson/Keenan Prochnow, Jacqueline Tu/Alex Magnuson, Reaghn Yack/Kristofer Ogren

Pacific (4): Hannah Eby/Logan Weaver, Megan Griffin/Andrew Civiello, Lynzee Moore/Matthew Rounis, Alexandria Schmainda/Matthew Scoralle

JUVENILE
    Eastern (7): Jaclyn Bozzetti/Steven Rossi, Katrina Copeland/Tyler Copeland, Jade Esposito/Rensing Nathan, Anastasia Lestina/Benjamin McLemore, Ellie McClellan/Jim Garbutt, Carlie Quesada/Adrian Shin, Sarah Rose/Tommy-Jo Nyman

Midwestern (7): Calista Falcone/Andrew Wagner, Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz, Kristin Lyle George/Jake Pagano, Olivia Mihelick/Levon Davis, Danielle Neuberger/Kristion Major, Pelagia Pamel/Keyton Bearinger, Sammy Parks/Devin Pascoe

Pacific (9): Carolyn Bartel/Alfred Bartel, Greta Crafoord/John Crafoord, Jasmine Fendi/Joshua Fendi, Nozomi Halberg/Ryan Waner, Ainsley Peterson/Carson Leckenby, Altice Sollazo/Paul Yeung, Megan Stenman/Albert Zeng, Cecilia Wright/William Wright, Megan Yeh/Callen Zadrozny
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-20-2013 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Alicia/Austin at mids! They train at my club. . . I know she's been struggling with various injuries for a while now (and has grown a few inches, which means a lot of tough adjustments!). Let's hope she can heal well and they'll come back stronger next year.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Denney and Coughlin were, IMHO, undermarked in PCS at TEB.

They can achieve the highest technical scores of the entire competition (in GP events), but they really have no chance to ever win due to PCS being relatively so low.

I also feel their GOE is undermarked relative to the other teams. V/T earn up to 20 points per FS on GOE, while D/C can get, what? 6-10?

It seems to be a shame. They do all the hard elements and do them well, but never have a chane to win or even come close to a world/Olympic medal.

Why? Is is John and his poor extensions, posture and lack of visible dance training? Caydee? Both? Their coach? PolitiKs?

I am at a loss to explain it. Ideas?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Denney and Coughlin were, IMHO, undermarked in PCS at TEB.

They can achieve the highest technical scores of the entire competition (in GP events), but they really have no chance to ever win due to PCS being relatively so low.

I also feel their GOE is undermarked relative to the other teams. V/T earn up to 20 points per FS on GOE, while D/C can get, what? 6-10?

It seems to be a shame. They do all the hard elements and do them well, but never have a chane to win or even come close to a world/Olympic medal.

Why? Is is John and his poor extensions, posture and lack of visible dance training? Caydee? Both? Their coach? PolitiKs?

I am at a loss to explain it. Ideas?

They have strong elements which they get credit for but very little in between...

vCash
    And scratchy skating, oftentimes clunky landings on throws, poor positions in lifts and death spirals...
    They do have a spectacular twist, and John is very solid with his lift technique.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Why? Is is John and his poor extensions, posture and lack of visible dance training?
    I'd say that has something to do with it. Next time you watch D/C, watch their feet. They rarely get on one foot and their edges are weak. Their transitions are very poor. Most of the time I would say they're overscored on PCS.

vCash
    ^ Agree. If PCS were judged correctly, they should be getting 5.75s.

vCash
    @TarahKayne tweeted:
    Hey guys! While Danny and I are on our way to Graz, check out our official new website on FSO! http://figureskatersonline.com/kayne-oshea/
    Ice Challenge Senior Pairs SP is scheduled to begin tomorrow (Friday) at 18:15 in Graz (12:15 pm Eastern). Donlan/Speroff skate 3rd and Kayne/O'Shea 6th of the 6 pairs in tomorrow's SP. Link to the live stream is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...(Graz-Austria)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-22-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Corrected time from 2:15 to 12:15

vCash
    11/18 Journal entry by Scimeca/Knierim before they left for Moscow: http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/journal/

Two tweeted pics by Alexa & Chris who were sightseeing in Moscow yesterday:
    We made it!!!! #RedSquare http://pic.twitter.com/MVGbgyBPKv

Exploring! #lucky #gold @mirai_nagasu @ChrisKnierim http://pic.twitter.com/UjlaRXpwTB
    ETA that the Rostelecom Cup Pairs SP is Friday 11/22 starting at 7:40 am Eastern time (Davis/Brubaker skate #2 and Scimeca/Knierim #4 in the first group).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-21-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast