Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I thought he wanted to retire though? So I'm not sure she had much of a choice.
    Oh, I didn't know it was his decision. For some reason I thought she had decided not to skate with him anymore. I guess because she paired up with Rockne shortly afterward, I thought that she left Ladwig having that in mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I still think if S/K get it together they are the biggest threat to D/C. They did not win their first competition of the year which should have been a walk in the park for them but it was obvious his injury set them back a bit. But they have it all technically and artistically which D/C lack.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Alexa/Chris are the wildcard after Nepela. We'll see what they do next week.

Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    We'll have to see about Scimeca/Knierim, everything depends on his recovery. I agree they have the most potential of all U.S. pairs right now, but it won't matter if they can't land the elements. None of the U.S. pairs is strong enough in PCS to be held up despite technical mistakes.
    S/K are my favorites among US pairs right now. I'm really crossing my fingers for them this week at Cup of China.

They have potential to be #1 because they are better matched than C/S and have much more ease of movement across the ice than D/C. But their performances at ON Trophy spooked me. I don't know if it's a Sophomore Slump, the fact that he was off the ice part of the Summer and they were rusty, or perhaps his injury still lingers. Hope it was just the fact that they were rusty - He didn't look uncomfortable in the lifts...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Oh, I didn't know it was his decision. For some reason I thought she had decided not to skate with him anymore. I guess because she paired up with Rockne shortly afterward, I thought that she left Ladwig having that in mind.
    I could be wrong. I don't know.

vCash
    Will Davis/Brubaker stay together through Korea-2018 Olympics? Maybe that should be their focus...and our expectations. There are only 2 spots for US pairs at Sochi-2014 & it will be hard for as new/rough a team as D/B to break into top 4 at Nats, let alone top 2. The lifts alone seem to be a big problem.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Will Davis/Brubaker stay together through Korea-2018 Olympics? Maybe that should be their focus...and our expectations. There are only 2 spots for US pairs at Sochi-2014 & it will be hard for as new/rough a team as D/B to break into top 4 at Nats, let alone top 2. The lifts alone seem to be a big problem.
    They have said their focus (his, really) is the Olympic team this year. If they don't make it (which is how it's looking), I expect them to split up before even getting on the plane home from Nationals. They skate like they've never met each other....

vCash
    I am really concerned that I have never once seen her smile, if it's that bad, something is wrong here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They have said their focus (his, really) is the Olympic team this year. If they don't make it (which is how it's looking), I expect them to split up before even getting on the plane home from Nationals. They skate like they've never met each other....
    I agree with this assessment. I think he's been chasing an elusive and now fading dream of making it to the Olympics, and she's chasing an elusive and now fading dream of making it as the top US skater in singles (defunct) or pairs (current). Two people in desperate states of mind are not a recipe for happiness. I don't sense any caring about each other as people, more like they see each other as means to an end.

vCash
    Senior international scores so far this season (after Cup of China):

188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    182.43 Denney/Coughlin (62.06 SP, 120.37 FS; Skate America, 4th)
    177.11 Castelli/Shnapir (62.56 SP, 114.55 FS; Skate America, 6th)
    168.42 Zhang/Bartholomay (55.83 SP, 112.59 FS; Skate America, 7th)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    161.72 Scimeca/Knierim (57.99 SP, 103.73 FS; Cup of China, 5th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    158.82 Denney/Frazier (55.01 SP, 103.82 FS; Skate Canada, 5th)
    157.28 Calalang/Sidhu (51.94 SP, 105.34 FS; Coupe de Nice, 2nd)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    155.52 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.33 SP, 105.19 FS; Cup of China, 6th)
    153.71 Davis/Brubaker (52.69 SP, 101.02 FS; Skate Canada, 6th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    141.01 Leng/LeDuc (57.95 SP, 83.06 FS; Coupe de Nice, 6th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

Events to come:
    NHK Trophy: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Frazier
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Davis/Brubaker, Scimeca/Knierim
    Ice Challenge, Graz, Austria (Senior B): Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea

ETA some of the better performances from the start of the international season so far:
    Castelli/Shnapir's Skate America SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIKbeFwY4o
    Donlan/Speroff's Nepela Trophy SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsErsmWpcg
    Denney/Coughlin's USIC FS in Salt Lake City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWNhU5DTBs
    Scimeca/Knierim's Cup of China SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6wUR3qzrE (a new ISU PB score despite mistakes)
    (I can't find YT videos of Zhang/Bartholomay's Skate America FS or Kayne/O'Shea's USIC programs but they are available on demand for Icenetwork subscribers.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-03-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^Thanks, Sylvia,

I watched S/K's LP on youtube. There were some strange glitches in the performance (he slipped out of position on the DS for example). I hope he's not being plagued by his ankle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I am really concerned that I have never once seen her smile, if it's that bad, something is wrong here.
    Davis/Brubaker skated at the Scott Hamilton Cares show in Cleveland on Saturday and I think Lindsay may just be lacking in performance skills. She was on the ice with Rochette, Weaver, Bobek, Bommentre and Czisny who were all gorgeous and glamorous performers who projected brilliantly to the audience. Lindsay just wasn't in their league. She looked like she was trying but it looked forced.

vCash

Thumbs up A video of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Joubabe View Post
    Davis/Brubaker skated at the Scott Hamilton Cares show in Cleveland on Saturday and I think Lindsay may just be lacking in performance skills. She was on the ice with Rochette, Weaver, Bobek, Bommentre and Czisny who were all gorgeous and glamorous performers who projected brilliantly to the audience. Lindsay just wasn't in their league. She looked like she was trying but it looked forced.
    I would love to see a video of this program as I spoke to several people that say Lindsay and Rockne were awesome and fit right in! Rockne and Lindsay skated in several numbers and it looked like they had a great time according to several people who I know attended! Sounds like this team is NOW GELLING FOR SURE! Also was told this was more of a Cyndi Lauper mini concert as she performed quite a few of her songs! I understand Rockne and Ryan Bradley performed some numbers and were also a hoot. A good time had by all....

vCash
    Senior international scores so far this season (after NHK Trophy):

188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    182.43 Denney/Coughlin (62.06 SP, 120.37 FS; Skate America, 4th)
    177.11 Castelli/Shnapir (62.56 SP, 114.55 FS; Skate America, 6th)
    168.89 Castelli/Shnapir (58.60 SP, 110.29 FS; NHK Trophy, 4th)
    168.42 Zhang/Bartholomay (55.83 SP, 112.59 FS; Skate America, 7th)
    167.85 Denney/Frazier (58.67 SP, 109.18 FS; NHK Trophy, 5th) - all new ISU PB scores (video links added below)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    161.72 Scimeca/Knierim (57.99 SP, 103.73 FS; Cup of China, 5th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    158.82 Denney/Frazier (55.01 SP, 103.82 FS; Skate Canada, 5th)
    157.28 Calalang/Sidhu (51.94 SP, 105.34 FS; Coupe de Nice, 2nd)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    155.52 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.33 SP, 105.19 FS; Cup of China, 6th)
    153.71 Davis/Brubaker (52.69 SP, 101.02 FS; Skate Canada, 6th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    141.01 Leng/LeDuc (57.95 SP, 83.06 FS; Coupe de Nice, 6th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

Denney/Frazier's NHK Trophy videos (British Eurosport):
    Short Program & Free Skate

Events to come:
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Davis/Brubaker, Scimeca/Knierim
    Ice Challenge, Graz, Austria (Senior B): Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-10-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: To add Denney/Frazier's NHK videos
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sectional rosters (competition dates are Nov. 20-23, 2013):

SENIOR
    Eastern: Shaughnessy/Morgan plan to skate their programs as an exhibition.
    Midwestern: no event held
    Pacific (2): Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss

JUNIOR
    Eastern: no event held
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer, I assume: Oltmanns/Santillan (or Pacifics?), McDougal/Schatz, Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne (or Pacifics?)

Midwestern (6): Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage, Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban, Sophia Dai/Jeffrey Fishman, Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson, Aya Takai/Brian Johnson, Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens

Pacific (2): Elise Middleton/Anthony Evans, AnnaMarie Pearce/Jason Pacini
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer, I assume: Liu/Perini

Fill-Up Rule may apply the the Mids Jr. Pairs:
    2512 Fill-Up Rule:
    C. For pair and ice dance events only, if there are four or fewer teams from one or more sections, additional competitors from the same event in other sections will be permitted to enter in order to bring the number of competitors up to a maximum of 12 (or more, if ties make it necessary). These additional competitors will be selected in the order of their placement. Should this result in two or more competitors qualifying for one additional place, all will be included, even if this causes the total number of competitors in the event to exceed 12.
    NOVICE
    Eastern (7): Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab, Cirinia Gillett/Maximiliano Fernandez, Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault, Nicole Lee/Timothy Habeeb, Victoria LoRusso/Brandon Kozlowski, Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz, Joy Weinberg/Michael Lueck

Midwestern (7): Hilary Asher/Luke Kirchgessner, Alicia Bertsch/Austin Hale, Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton, Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, Kailey Matkin/Justin Highgate-Brutman, Macy Peterson/Daniel Arsenault, Lindsay Weinstein/Jacob Simon

Pacific (9): Katie Dano/Lyle Kosinski, Juliette Erickson/Alexander Brauner, Breanna Harris/Nathan Grundhofer, Reagan King/Rique Newby-Estrella, Jessica Lee/Robert Hennings, Aditya Nandy/Ananya Nandy, Annabelle Schneider-Farris/Joel Schneider-Farris, Ai Setoyama/David Botero, Alexandria Yao/Connor Fleming
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-10-2013 at 05:13 AM.

vCash
    ^Thank for the numbers, Sylvia. I always enjoy examining your lists to see who lands where in the scheme of things.

It looks like D/C and C/S are in pole position to be on Team Sochi. I hope D/C can improve on their SA performances at TEB; but for the freak fall on the Throw 3loop, they would probably have medalled there.

I like the polish C/S is showing but they seem to have regressed on the SBS jumps.

S/K are logical threats but I really hope they can turn it around by Rostelecom Cup and shake the rust / sophomore slump / whatever it is they are going through. They need to get back in the game.

D/F are a bright spot; they're making a great debut on the Senior circuit. They just need a little more of everything to be a top team.

I'm looking forward to K/O at Ice Challenge. I'd like to see if they've improved even more. They've got ambitious programs and an 'it' factor.

Also, it looks like everyone will make it to Nationals by virtue of very few teams competing at Sectionals.

vCash
    Glad to see we have a growing pairs field. With Denney/ Coughlin and Castelli/Shnapir the favorites, does anyone think they will be upset? Also, to me it appears that Scimeca/ Knierim, Denney/ Frazier, Kayne/ O'Shea, Donlan/Speroff, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Davis/Brubaker all have legitimate shots at making the podium. It certainly will be a fight for those 4CC spots that don't go to the olympians, and perhaps a World team spot if D/C decide to just do the OLY.

vCash
    If Scimeca/ Knierim finally get their act together they will be on the OLympic team and it won't be a upset if they beat Castelli/Shnapir for it. Knierim's injury seems to have set them back and you have to wonder if he did what a lot of skaters do and he came back to soon before he was ready.

vCash
    I am really enjoying US Pairs for the first time in so long.

I agree with Jammers on S/K. Last year, after Worlds, I really believed they would be on the Olympic team and possible National champions, eclipsing either an inconsistent C/S or D/C who were coming back from injury. They need to get it together though, preferably at least improve by their next GP, to stay in the mix. It might have been best not to rush back but they did so they need to salvage their GP showing at least a little. They're so lovely to watch and I'm rooting for them.

I've never liked D/C but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that they probably deserve an Olympic spot.

I so want to love C/S- Marissa is such a firecracker performer and I actually think the crazy height difference makes them unique to watch. And Simon seems to be trying more on the performance end. But they need to get back their SBS jumps and just make less nervy mistakes- they could have won a bronze at NHK if they had done a slightly better short. I also thought last year's programs were much better vehicles. The long is okay enough but the Santana short is just not well put together. I also wish they made some effort to work on their connection- both on the ice and even when they come off to the K&C. They often seem like they just met or are just uncomfortable together. I thought this got better last year but they seem to have regressed.

Anyway I think its likely between those 3 for the Olympics. I could not be more excited about Denney & Frazier though who with more seasoning will be a top US pair and probably a contender for international medals. It blows my mind that Caydee & Haven are sisters.
    Last edited by lauren329; 11-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Glad to see we have a growing pairs field. With Denney/ Coughlin and Castelli/Shnapir the favorites, does anyone think they will be upset? Also, to me it appears that Scimeca/ Knierim, Denney/ Frazier, Kayne/ O'Shea, Donlan/Speroff, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Davis/Brubaker all have legitimate shots at making the podium. It certainly will be a fight for those 4CC spots that don't go to the olympians, and perhaps a World team spot if D/C decide to just do the OLY.
    Bold mine.

The team with the most potential to upset either of them - bigger shot at picking off Castelli/Shnapir - is Scimeca/Knierim. But as I said, they need to get over whatever it is that is effecting their performance. Denney/Coughlin by virtue of their consistency and improved presentation are the safest bet. Scimeca/Knierim are probably the most deeply talented and could be #1 if they are healthy.

I would put Denney/Frazier as the final team most likely to finish on the podium in 4th.

The 4CC's team will be comprised of the (1) loser out of the Castelli/Shanpir vs. Scimeca/Knierim fight for the Sochi spots; (2) Denney/Frazier, and then (3) one of Kayne/O'Shea, Donlan/Speroff and Zhang/Bartholomay. Probably Kayne/O'Shea or Zhang/Bartholomay. A lot will hinge on Kayne/O'Shea's performances at Ice Challenge and if they beat Donlan/Speroff there. Zhang/Bartholomay as a promising, hungry team were a little underwhelming last Fall but came back strong by Nationals which seems to be their MO again this year. Donlan/Speroff are IMO the least consistent of these three and have chronic jump problems and thus least likely to make it to 4CC's.

Unfortunately, Davis/Brubaker aren't really getting it together this year.
    Last edited by olympic; 11-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.

vCash
    C/S have been beaten by D/C twice, #7 ranked K/O at Salt Lake Senior B, and were within a point of D/F in Japan. IMO they are equal to the other US "fighting for 2nd place" teams. I believe Simon has landed only one jump in the three competitions he has competed. He seems very stiff and the quad seems very unlikely.

S/K are great, but seem slow and he hasn't completed a solo jump yet this season IIRC. They have been overtaken by D/S overall at the recent senior B and Z/B in the long in China.

Folks #2 Sochi spot is anyone's game.
    Last edited by jdonavan; 11-11-2013 at 12:01 AM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'm really hoping that Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim are able to regroup from his injury and perform their best at Nationals. If they ever fully meet their potential, they are sure to be National Champions. They are the couple who could potentially restore my faith in US pairs skating. They have the ingredients needed to be champions; it's just a matter of mixing what they have together and serving up the most delicious dish at the right time, which will hopefully be at the Boston Nationals in January. Finally, a US pair that relate beautifully with one another and are capable of presenting an elegant program.

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast