Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia, for the info. about Donlan & Speroff.

Looks to be a nice competition with 7 pairs, but honestly I'm excited to see how Caitlin & her new partner do!

ps: off-topic but noticed Courtney Hicks is skating here as well, an extra bonus. (:^)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Live stream of Cup of Nice: http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/nicecup

Senior Pairs SP start order/results will be updated after the event is over): http://nice-baie-des-anges.fr/images...013/SEG007.HTM

This is the senior international debut for Calalang/Sidhu (#3 in SP start order) and the second international for Leng/LeDuc (#4)
    Still waiting for the official results to be published online.

From the Cup of Nice thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    Jessica-Noëlle CALALANG / Zach SIDHU

elements quite soild, nice sbs 3sal, but no connection at all to the music

51.24points
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Here's my single PBP for the event. I have to get to work.

Deedee’s dress looks like a blue version of Volosozhar’s JCS. Tim in a deep V neck velvet unitard. I bet this costume gets sparklier by nationals, it’s way plain for him
    Nice twist- good speed going into it
    SBS 3T
    Big throw jump
    She looks lovely in the lift.
    I really hate Besti squats
    I thought the death spiral looked good, neat little hop out of it.
    Pairs spin, spins both ways- both directions seem equal
    They should do SBS illusions instead of just having Tim do one. (This made me laugh because during the transition earlier when one partner did a spiral, it was also him: typically that's the lady's move.)
    Deedee steps out of twizzles. Then seems to have a bobble on the next set of them.

Nice program.
    Music was "The Feeling Begins" and I'm pretty sure it was a double twist. Score unknown.

Pairs FS is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 27 16:00 local start time (is there a time change in France this weekend?).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm getting worried about Davis & Brubaker being overtaken by the younger teams, including Denney & Frazier, which they just did at SC...

There are so many good American pair teams and only 2 spots for the Olympics. And imho Denney & Coughlin have their names automatically on one. The other is up for grabs to the team that skates lights out, which could be any one of them, even D&B at Nationals.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Cup of Nice Pairs FS is going on now - live stream link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14...013-live_sport
    Skating in the final group (in reverse order of the SP) are Leng/LeDuc 57.95 (1st), Calalang/Sidhu 51.94 (3rd).

Senior international scores so far this season:

188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    182.43 Denney/Coughlin (62.06 SP, 120.37 FS; Skate America, 4th)
    177.11 Castelli/Shnapir (62.56 SP, 114.55 FS; Skate America, 6th)
    168.42 Zhang/Bartholomay (55.83 SP, 112.59 FS; Skate America, 7th)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    158.82 Denney/Frazier (55.01 SP, 103.82 FS; Skate Canada, 5th)
    157.28 Calalang/Sidhu (51.94 SP, 105.34 FS; Coupe de Nice, 2nd)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    153.71 Davis/Brubaker (52.69 SP, 101.02 FS; Skate Canada, 6th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    141.01 Leng/LeDuc (57.95 SP, 83.06 FS; Coupe de Nice, 6th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

Events to come:
    Cup of China: Scimeca/Knierim, Zhang/Bartholomay
    NHK Trophy: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Frazier
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Davis/Brubaker, Scimeca/Knierim
    Ice Challenge, Graz, Austria (Senior B): Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea

ETA Cup of Nice final scores above.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-27-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: to edit in official Cup of Nice scores
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I'm getting worried about Davis & Brubaker being overtaken by the younger teams, including Denney & Frazier, which they just did at SC...

There are so many good American pair teams and only 2 spots for the Olympics. And imho Denney & Coughlin have their names automatically on one. The other is up for grabs to the team that skates lights out, which could be any one of them, even D&B at Nationals.
    Honestly, I'm not sure how the word overtaken can be used in this circumstances. A lot of the younger teams have been together longer...

vCash
    Lol, I'm thinking of Rockne in particular; he's been out there longer competing and winning than the rest of those younger teams. Verdad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Lol, I'm thinking of Rockne in particular; he's been out there longer competing and winning than the rest of those younger teams. Verdad!
    But Pairs skating is a team sport...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    But Pairs skating is a team sport...
    I agree, much as I like Rockne, he's a pair skater he has to build a good foundation with Davis and that takes time. Frankly if Davis/Brubaker zoomed to the top immediately that would mean the rest of the American skaters are um crap. And that's not true anymore. We have more depth now, thank goodness.

vCash
    I still think if S/K get it together they are the biggest threat to D/C. They did not win their first competition of the year which should have been a walk in the park for them but it was obvious his injury set them back a bit. But they have it all technically and artistically which D/C lack.

vCash
    I'm not sure if D/C are a shoe-in for the Olympics. Castelli/Shnapir did beat them in the SP at Skate America, and weren't that far behind in the free. If C/S and S/K both are at their best, and D/C falter, C/S and S/K could be the two teams chosen..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm not sure if D/C are a shoe-in for the Olympics. Castelli/Shnapir did beat them in the SP at Skate America, and weren't that far behind in the free. If C/S and S/K both are at their best, and D/C falter, C/S and S/K could be the two teams chosen..
    I don't see it happening. Castelli/Shnapir don't seem capable of a clean LP, meanwhile Denney/Coughlin generally skate clean LPs. They seem safer for the team event.

Alexa/Chris are the wildcard after Nepela. We'll see what they do next week.

vCash
    Personally I prefer Castelli/Shnapir to Denney/Coughlin, and I'd really, really like to see C/S skate solidly at Nationals and top D/C. That said, I agree with reese it doesn't seem likely to happen. Marissa & Simon just have not gotten off to a good start this season. The potential is there, as shown by them beating D/C in the SA short. But they just seem unable to pull it together and skate a strong competition, start to finish. Unless they can do that soon (and NHK is their only remaining shot), they're not going to go into Nationals with any momentum. They will get some respect as defending champions, but not enough to keep them top 2 unless they bring it. As a fan, so far I am very disappointed with them this season. Still hoping for improvement of course, but not feeling optimistic.

We'll have to see about Scimeca/Knierim, everything depends on his recovery. I agree they have the most potential of all U.S. pairs right now, but it won't matter if they can't land the elements. None of the U.S. pairs is strong enough in PCS to be held up despite technical mistakes.

As to Davis/Brubaker, definitely not a good outing at Skate Canada. Funny start to their partnership so far. Certain things are surprisingly good, like their SBS jumps and spins. I guess that means they have similar timing, which is good. But the lifts are terrible, and the chemistry between them is nonexistent. Rockne really outshines Lindsay in terms of line and presentation, she just is not on his level at all. Mary Beth was much closer. I miss him & Mary Beth. In the long run, I don't know if I see this partnership working.

Denney/Frazier are interesting. I like that they're so strong technically, and also somewhat consistent, it gives them a good base to work from. Posture, artistry, and presentation all need improvement, but they're young. I hope they stay together and continue to develop, it will be interesting to see how far they can go.

vCash
    I don't believe there is going to be a senior pairs event at any of the sectionals this year? Beyond the teams listed above who already have international scores this year, are Pfund/Reiss and Shaughnessy/Morgan the only other two senior teams likely to compete in Boston?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Personally I prefer Castelli/Shnapir to Denney/Coughlin, and I'd really, really like to see C/S skate solidly at Nationals and top D/C. That said, I agree with reese it doesn't seem likely to happen. Marissa & Simon just have not gotten off to a good start this season. The potential is there, as shown by them beating D/C in the SA short. But they just seem unable to pull it together and skate a strong competition, start to finish. Unless they can do that soon (and NHK is their only remaining shot), they're not going to go into Nationals with any momentum. They will get some respect as defending champions, but not enough to keep them top 2 unless they bring it. As a fan, so far I am very disappointed with them this season. Still hoping for improvement of course, but not feeling optimistic.

We'll have to see about Scimeca/Knierim, everything depends on his recovery. I agree they have the most potential of all U.S. pairs right now, but it won't matter if they can't land the elements. None of the U.S. pairs is strong enough in PCS to be held up despite technical mistakes.

As to Davis/Brubaker, definitely not a good outing at Skate Canada. Funny start to their partnership so far. Certain things are surprisingly good, like their SBS jumps and spins. I guess that means they have similar timing, which is good. But the lifts are terrible, and the chemistry between them is nonexistent. Rockne really outshines Lindsay in terms of line and presentation, she just is not on his level at all. Mary Beth was much closer. I miss him & Mary Beth. In the long run, I don't know if I see this partnership working.

Denney/Frazier are interesting. I like that they're so strong technically, and also somewhat consistent, it gives them a good base to work from. Posture, artistry, and presentation all need improvement, but they're young. I hope they stay together and continue to develop, it will be interesting to see how far they can go.
    After watching Davis and Brubaker, I think Davis was better with Ladwig and maybe should have stayed with him. She always looks so miserable, no matter who she's skating with though.

vCash
    After watching Davis and Brubaker, I think Davis was better with Ladwig and maybe should have stayed with him.
    I thought he wanted to retire though? So I'm not sure she had much of a choice.

vCash
    I think Ladwig would have continued if there were more promise in their partnership. Otherwise, why would he have started the partnership in the first place. But, he probably saw it wasn't going anywhere and decided it was just time to hang up his skates.

vCash
    Count me among the "worried about Davis/Brubaker" crowd. Lotta potential but they don't seem to compete well for some reason.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    It's asking to much for a brand new team to make the Olympic team even with a fairly weak field even those US Pairs looks to be much tougher and deeper then at Nationals last season when their were only like 9 teams. I would imagine after they don't make the team they will split up.

vCash
    The US Pairs field is so broad that I really wouldn't predict anything. I mean, leading up to the 2010 Olympics was less varied and we still had a big surprise with McLaughlin/Brubaker not making it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't believe there is going to be a senior pairs event at any of the sectionals this year? Beyond the teams listed above who already have international scores this year, are Pfund/Reiss and Shaughnessy/Morgan the only other two senior teams likely to compete in Boston?
    Maybe they should skate and get judged at Sectionals even if they're guaranteed Nationals. It would be a good opinion of where they stand ...

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast