Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

vCash
    Just an update for Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage's Fans like myself, they finished 4th in their second JGP event and therefore just missed getting into the JGP Final. Alas, they are 1st Alternates though, Yeah!

And here's my post from the K&C (copied & pasted) in regards to their wonderful FS:

Beautiful beautiful nice clean skate ~ nice 3twist (still need to be bigger & higher), big throw-3R, managed to do sbs 3Salchows (though Max 2footed & UR his), gorgeous throw-3S, and my favorite part sbs 2axels-steps-into-Tano 2Rs. And all with their usual balletic elegance and effervescence.

I love it, I could honestly watch these two all day, and cannot wait until they enter seniors next year. Though it's smart to stay in juniors and work on their consistency and elements, et al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWobjZwj9hI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Don't the host nations select alternate picks instead of the ISU? In the past, a big problem we've seen on occasion is that the hosts would pick "lesser" picks instead of the next best skaters in line in order to not make the field any more difficult for their own country's skaters. The point of the GP should be to have the absolute strongest fields possible, not to make it an invitational for the host nations. The ISU should be assigning the next highest scoring skaters to any available GP spots. Did Kayne/O'Shea's Sr B score get them on the alternates list? I forgot how it works exactly, but if it did, they should have been the next in line right?
    No, sadly, the rules say only the WINNER of the event can be added to the alternate list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah it's sad that a team that's superior to some of the teams getting GP assignments is stuck outside looking in. D/B should not have gotten two events while a team that has been far more impressive like K/S don't have any.
    Well, Kayne/O'Shea are new to the international scene. In deference to the American pairs habit of partners not sticking together, D/B got in under the "split pairs" provision and due to Brubaker's success with Marley the last couple seasons.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Well, Kayne/O'Shea are new to the international scene. In deference to the American pairs habit of partners not sticking together, D/B got in under the "split pairs" provision and due to Brubaker's success with Marley the last couple seasons.
    Donlan and Speroff also have not gotten a GP assignment and they won Nepala Trophy.
    They finished ahead of Denney and Frazier there and had a higher score than Davis and Brubaker did at Nebelhorn. I know that it has something to do with ISU rules, but it is dissapointing that these teams can't event get one GP before all these other teams get two.

I also am not a big fan of the split couple rule, it seems to me that someone who is on the
    grand prix with one partner can split up and also automatically get a GP assignment with their next partner, it hardly seems fair to those teams who stick together. I would rather see any new team have to fight for a spot, not have it handed to them. JMO.

Just because a skater was in one good partnership does not automatically mean that they are
    GP calibre automatically with there next partner. It really does a disservice to other teams.

vCash
    I think with all of D/C, S/K, C/S, Z/B, D/B and D/F getting 2 GP assignments + 1 Pre-season B, and L/L , C/S (Calalang/Sidhu) being assigned to Coupe International de Nice at the end of October, it's quite possible that D/S and K/O might get a 2nd Senior B @ Ice Challenge as (1) a consolation prize; and (2) an opportunity from the USFSA to further test their improvements in front of International judges.

With S/B out for the Fall and B/T having split, there are really no other Senior US pair teams to assign, are there? I think they could both get Ice Challenge by default.

The only other team I can think of is B/R, but they were pretty subpar at Skate Detroit and I haven't seen / heard from them since. Any news on them?

vCash
    My hearsay info is that Bereswill/Reagan have split, and Becky is taking this season off from competing in singles to focus on college full-time (Univ. of Michigan).

ETA:
    Jessica Pfund/A.J. Reiss, who are listed in the ISP, debuted their Senior programs at Skate St. Moritz last month (48.68 SP, 79.28 FS, 127.96 total). He was injured and off the ice for a while this past summer.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My hearsay info is that Bereswill/Reagan have split, and Becky is taking this season off from competing in singles to focus on college full-time (Univ. of Michigan).
    Thanks for the info. It really looks like K/O and D/S could get another Senior B (unless Calalang/Sidhu or L/L really do well in Nice)

Too bad for B/R. But Josh Reagan has gone through 3 partners in 3 years. Something is starting to smell a little fishy here ...

ETA - I saw your note re P/R. They are a team w/ some nice qualities but not sure their history is enough to qualify for an international assignment unless the USFSA just wants to share the wealth and mix it up a bit ...
    Last edited by olympic; 10-12-2013 at 12:56 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The hosts do make the choices, but they may have conversations/deals with the other hosts.

Kayne/O'Shea only qualify for a host pick, and USFS had other priorities. Unless they place high enough to earn a spot at championships and earn a PB high enough to be guaranteed one on their own or be high enough to be eligible from the alternates list, they will be at the mercy of USFS selection policy. It's a good thing that in this Olympic year, USFS has decided that the Olympic team will not go to 4C's, which leaves three spots open for lower-ranked skaters at championships.

Winners of the early listed Senior B's go to the bottom of the alternates list; if winning Nepala were D/S's only claim, they'd be eight-ten Pairs -- and up to 18 selections -- away from being eligible for moving into the Top Five, which doesn't guarantee a selection. For example, there have been three substitutions so far, with K/S's TEB spot still TBA, and Martiusheva/Rogonov -- the highest ranked (PB 18) and the only team besides Denney/Frazier in the Top 24 SB in the Top Five, and eligible for selection to sub for K/S -- are still waiting. Donlan/Speroff, by virtue of having made the GP TES minimum for SP at Nepala, combined with their SB #36, are three or four couples -- or up to six selections -- away from being in the Top Five and eligible for an invitation.

Like last year, the split couples only are in the Top Five and don't, like in 2011-12, get picked first for a second GP before anyone on the PB list, unless choosing them breaks a rule (already there, crazy travel, visa issues, too many from the country, etc.). So far this year, Purdy/Marinaro got a second before any split couple, and Purich/Tran are still waiting. They didn't qualify for either of K/S's picks -- they're at TEB already and Canada already has three at SC -- but they could have been chosen for SA ahead of P/M.

Just because a skater was in one partnership doesn't automatically mean the new partnership is GP caliber automatically, but sometimes they are, and the ISU is assuming they'll quickly get up to speed or won't -- in which case they'll be low on the SB list -- and will be dropped nationally. Purich/Tran's score at Nebelhorn was within 4.04 points of Donlan/Speroff's at Ondrej Nepala, and P/T skated in a larger field at Nebelhorn, with V/T skating, and Nebelhorn was more highly visible as an Olympic qualifier. If D/S are GP caliber -- and they didn't even make the GP Total Minimum at their ISU event last season -- then so are P/T, a split couple, and they look competitive for the third Olympic spot in Canada.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-12-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Well, I have a feeling that K/O will be at 4CC and have a chance to prove themselves against tough competition.

vCash
    Weren't K/S for NHK not TEB? Which would make P/T eligible if they wanted to make the fast hop?

vCash
    I'm sorry. There's so many pairs nationally and internationally now. Can we stop with the <Last initial>/<Last initial> format and go with first two letters of last name?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I'm sorry. There's so many pairs nationally and internationally now. Can we stop with the <Last initial>/<Last initial> format and go with first two letters of last name?
    Good luck with that! (I spell out the full names of the teams when I can.)

I assume jlmart is referring to the non-USA pairs of Kavaguti/Smirnov and Pang/Tong Purich/Tran (ETA: not Pang/Tong as I first thought!), and they are more relevant to the GP Assignments discussion thread so I've re-posted there: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4015950
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    As I said several pages ago - I appreciate it when posters take the trouble to give complete names. When initials are given, I don't read the post. I know I'm not so important a reader, but there are several readers like me. If you want us to read your posts, please take the extra time and trouble to use names, rather than initials. Thanks to those who do - Sylvia, Kwanfan, hippychick, and Liljen are recent examples.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I try to remember to use the last names in full the first time in a post, but after that, or in response to a quote, I tend to use the initials.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Sorry about the last name/initial problem (lesson learned) as well as posting in the wrong thread. I actually thought I was IN the GP Assignments thread and couldn't understand when I went back later why my post didn't show up!

vCash
    *HEADS UP*:

FSU member sykr posted some absolute gorgeous pics of the Ondrej Nepela Pairs FS competition over in the K&C, including the medal ceremoney, Yeah! Was looking everywhere for some video coverage of it but couldn't find any, but alas sykr provided beautiful coverage with his/her pics. *note: Gretchen Donlan has bangs now!*

vCash
    Re-posting this link from the 2013 Skate America forum in Kiss & Cry - audio from last week's media teleconference: Castelli/Shnapir (13:27).

vCash
    OMG reading the practice thread over in the K&C for SKAM is unreal!

So much drama and ups & downs and everything in between for the singles skaters, but all the pairs seemed to have worked hard and are nailing everything. Honestly cannot wait to watch Denney & Coughlin. I recall them like yesterday at last year's SKAM and they are even more phenomenal and powerful to watch live in person. Here's hoping they capture a medal!

ps: and Castelli/Schnapir were just as marvelous in person as well, though they are not scheduled to arrive at SKAM until tomorrow.

vCash
    Probably deserves its own thread but until its confirmed Caitlin Yankowskas appears on the entries for Ice Challenge representing GBR!!

http://www.icechallenge.at/attachmen...nge%202013.pdf

vCash
    Live stream of Cup of Nice: http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/nicecup

Senior Pairs SP start order/results will be updated after the event is over): http://nice-baie-des-anges.fr/images...013/SEG007.HTM

This is the senior international debut for Calalang/Sidhu (#3 in SP start order) and the second international for Leng/LeDuc (#4)

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Probably deserves its own thread but until its confirmed Caitlin Yankowskas appears on the entries for Ice Challenge representing GBR!!
    I've started a new thread in GSD: New GBR pair: Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman

Donlan/Speroff (gold at Nepela Trophy) and Kayne/O'Shea (silver in SLC) are the 2 U.S. entries for Ice Challenge.

Davis/Brubaker and H. Denney/Frazier have their Senior Grand Prix team debuts this afternoon at Skate Canada in Saint John, NB.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast