Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    This type of statement and opinion is obviously that of a FAN, and not someone who has any real or practical experience as a pair skater.

Unfortunately, this type of statement is typical FAN-based dreck when considering the athletic and sporting considerations of people trying to make an Olympic team.

NO ONE OWNS ANY TYPE OF PROGRAM. NO ONE OWNS MUSIC. NO ONE OWNS SKATING MOVES or CHOREOGRAPHY.

Case in point, I once saw an Adult Skater at a very high level, reproduce JANET LYNN's program of "Afternoon of a Faun" including the double axel. She did it as a tribute and it was wonderful, but totally stolen from Janet and her choreographer.

MBM should STFU.
    This situation is not really close to being similar to a reproduction of a Janet Lynn program, and I have enough "real experience" to form a reasonable opinion on how you should try to treat people with whom you have had a skating relationship. I do agree that Mary Beth could have kept her feelings quiet about this, but I can understand why she didn't...I think the interview she gave with The Skating Lesson has encouraged her to be open and honest. And the way she feels is understandable and expected. She is not the only pair skater who would feel this way. Just because she removed herself from the skating partnership does not mean that she is not allowed to feel disrespected by this situation.

Everyone has their own opinions, and I understand the people who don't care so much that music and a little skating choreography are being reused. But when you are training these programs every day, it stops feeling like just some silly skating choreography... It becomes a part of you and something that's meaningful to you. I'm sure that sounds silly to some people, especially as many skating programs look rather generic, but sometimes that's how it is. And a pair partnership itself is something that you are supposed to really value and find important, not just for your own selfish reasons but for the team as a unit (and the best teams tend to be the ones that are truly a unit). So that's why I understand where Mary Beth is coming from.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 08-06-2013 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Thanks for the attempts to get back to discussing Pairs, and skating. I'm giving up on this thread for the time being. It would be nice if the discussion of programs and ownership and all that angst could be taken to its own thread.
    Ask and ye shall (sometimes) receive - thread started in Trash Can earlier today: Who owns--or should own--choreography?

ETA that National champs Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir are scheduled to debut their programs at the Quebec Summer Championships near Montreal this coming weekend - I've started an event thread in the Kiss and Cry.
    I forgot to mention earlier that this competition will be live streamed (for free) and I will post the link here before the pairs competition starts on Saturday, August 10.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Changing topics...does anyone (Sylvia? ) know if there are any juvenile pairs teams competing out of the Pacific Coast section other than the following, which competed at Glacier Falls this past weekend?

Wright, Cecilia/Wright, William

Bartel, Alfred/Bartel, Carolyn

Sollazo, Altice/Yeung, Paul

Fendi, Jasmine/Fendi, Joshua

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ask and ye shall (sometimes) receive - thread started in Trash Can earlier today: Who owns--or should own--choreography?

Saturday, August 10.
    Noticed that. Lovely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    We used to train pairs there, and all of the teams get along great.
    Hmm, Caitlin Yankowskas might have a different take on that....
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesdance View Post
    Changing topics...does anyone (Sylvia? ) know if there are any juvenile pairs teams competing out of the Pacific Coast section other than the following, which competed at Glacier Falls this past weekend?

Wright, Cecilia/Wright, William

Bartel, Alfred/Bartel, Carolyn

Sollazo, Altice/Yeung, Paul

Fendi, Jasmine/Fendi, Joshua
    I think the 2 pairs in the middle are new Juvenile teams (they will be listed in Scoretracker as soon as their Glacier Falls scores are published online). I haven't seen any others listed in Pacific Coast section club competition results so far, but a few more teams could always surface in August and September competitions.

Naomi (Nari Nam) Poor and Themi Leftheris co-coach Robert Hennings who apparently has a new Novice pairs partner but I don't know her name yet.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-06-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think the 2 pairs in the middle are new Juvenile teams (they will be listed in Scoretracker as soon as their Glacier Falls scores are published online). I haven't seen any others listed in Pacific Coast section club competition results so far, but a few more teams could always surface in August and September competitions.

Naomi (Nari Nam) Poor and Themi Leftheris co-coach Robert Hennings who apparently has a new Novice pairs partner but I don't know her name yet.
    Thanks Sylvia. I'll be keeping an eye out for any additional juv teams.

vCash
    The Skating Lesson is reporting a Baga/Toth split... Can anyone confirm? Or have details as to why?

https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/st...79341345181696

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Hmm, Caitlin Yankowskas might have a different take on that....
    Sounds like you are trying to stir up trouble, and I'm not biting. Unless you are present at pair practices, you have no knowledge of how skaters get along on the ice. And what they do off the ice is none of your business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    The Skating Lesson is reporting a Baga/Toth split... Can anyone confirm? Or have details as to why?

https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/st...79341345181696
    And now the tweet's been deleted...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to stir up trouble, and I'm not biting. Unless you are present at pair practices, you have no knowledge of how skaters get along on the ice. And what they do off the ice is none of your business.
    I'm not trying to stir up anything, just pointing out a reality that happened.

And since in this particular case we were told about what "they" do off the ice, saying it's not anyone's business is a little lame.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm not trying to stir up anything, just pointing out a reality that happened.

And since in this particular case we were told about what "they" do off the ice, saying it's not anyone's business is a little lame.
    Sorry it's rare but I agree with Madm. A pair team not getting along with each other is not the same as teams not getting along together and as a good point it has been in many many articles that John and Chris both work and there are many sessions there and these adult teams have lives they work around but being an OTC is pretty awesome. The pair sessions are according to the schedule insane compared to other rinks that sometimes do not allow pairs to even skate on their sessions. IT is an official OTC now and if I were Sappenfield I would spread out all my teams to give them equal time? No secrets there. Makes sense. Agreed what skaters do OFF the ice is totally none of our business in fact their lives and choices are not our business either discussing pairs well this is a great forum to do that not LAME at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    And now the tweet's been deleted...
    So Baga and Toth have not split? Hope they are still together.

vCash
    Baga and Toth are still sharing cupcakes with each other at least, according to his Twitter...

vCash
    For those without access to the competition thread in Kiss and Cry forum, I've posted the live stream link for the Quebec Summer Championships in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3970861
    Castelli/Shnapir are scheduled to debut their SP tonight to "Black Magic Woman" and "Smooth" by Carlos Santana (choreographed by Julie Marcotte). Videos from the comp. are being archived for on demand viewing. ETA that Marcotte also choreographed C/S's new FS to selections from the Skyfall soundtrack.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    I love those music selections for Castelli/Shnapir. It may even make me look more favorably on them if they perform well this season.

vCash
    This video of Leng/LeDuc popped up late - HD, up-close of their SP from Skate Detroit. You get to see some of the nice detail and nuances! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NlhstPdZfU

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-11-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I thought the Santana program really showcased Marissa well! Castelli/Shnapir scored 60.74 for 2nd place in the SP - link to their Quebec protocol: http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/result...gesDetails.pdf

vCash
    Wow! Simon has really improved since the last time we saw him. He skated with expression, and he no longer has "dead arms".

Did I see him smile during the SP?

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast