Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

vCash
    I watched the video and all it implies to me is that they were together at the time of the video being shot, whenever that was. I hate to assume anything though. And she says this season, I'm doing singles...but its not very clear if she means only singles in general or just singles for her college team but still continuing pairs on the national level.

vCash
    U.S. pair skaters, Novice or Junior at 2014 Nationals, currently listed on icepartnersearch.com (their ages as of July 1, 2014 listed in parentheses) are marked with * below:

*Elise Middleton (14)/Anthony Evans J4 - she's coached by Sand, Meno in L.A.
    *Reagan King (15)/Rique Newby-Estrella* (19) N9 - both are in Michigan
    *Grace Knoop (13)/Noah Chinault* (19) N11 - both are coached by Peterson in Ellenton, FL
    *Sophia Dai (14)/Jeffrey Fishman - N5 in 2013/in ISP this season - she's coached by Johns, S. Pottenger in Canton, MI

Also:
    Daniel Raad (26) listed himself on IPS today and his profile states Junior level; he's still in Ellenton, FL.
    Lianna Thomas (19) - coached by Gauthier et al. in Montreal; N10 at 2014 CAN Nationals
    Allison Timlen (18) - in Boston for college
    Nancy Xu (15) - San Jose/Colorado Springs

ETA that I posted pre-Junior Worlds Aaron/Settlage article links in the "U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III" thread in GSD the other day - link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4202821
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-13-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: To add link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 55s
    NEWS: @CaydeeDenneyUSA @JohnCoughlinUSA withdraw from Worlds. @felicia_zhang @NateBartholomay will compete http://usfigu.re/1eWoxLe #TeamUSA

vCash
    Press release says:
    (3/20/14) - Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, the reigning U.S. pairs bronze medalists, have withdrawn from the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships due to an injury to Denney's right ankle. The World Championships will take place March 24-30, 2014, in Saitama, Japan. The World Championships will take place March 24-30, 2014, in Saitama, Japan.

Denney, 20, sustained the injury Wednesday in practice and is expected to resume training in 8-12 weeks.

Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay, first alternates to the U.S. World Team, have accepted an invitation to the World Championships. The Florida-based duo most recently placed 12th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games after winning the U.S. silver medal in January.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I don't believe this local New Jersey article (published 2/2/14) about Felicia and the Zhang family was posted here before the start of the Olympics: http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2..._olympics.html

"Zhang and Bartholomay reflect on their Olympic experience" (includes embedded videos): http://www.mysuncoast.com/sports/oly...7a43b2370.html

vCash
    Rats. I was hoping for John and Caydee to do well at Worlds.

vCash
    ^They certainly could've placed higher than Z/B.

I wonder if they are planning to call it quits

vCash
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...-out-of-worlds
    "We're so devastated that we won't be able to represent the U.S. and skate for the wonderful Japanese fan base at worlds," Denney and Coughlin said. "Our preparation for this event has been fantastic, and we were looking forward to showcasing our hard work. We are thankful that Caydee will make a full recovery and that this won't affect our long-term goals.

"We are, as always, 100 percent behind Team USA and will be supporting our teammates every step of the way."

vCash
    Good to hear it doesn't sound like they plan on retiring just yet. Pairs at US Nationals is starting to be an exciting event, with several strong teams .

vCash
    (((Caydee and John))) I feel for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    (((Caydee and John))) I feel for them.
    They worked hard to address some of their presentation issues this past summer & I thought they came out with two strong programs at Nationals. It's unfortunate they missed some elements in both programs since this was the best I saw them look otherwise. Not sure there is such a thing as a good time to get injured, but they've had terrible timing the past two years.

vCash
    Hoo boy. They took off a whole season for John's surgery & recovery, were headed back to worlds, and now this? It must be incredibly frustrating for them.

On a related note, will there ever be a skating boot that prevents ankle injuries?? I have heard WAY too many stories of ankle injuries in skates.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post

I wonder if they are planning to call it quits
    Lol...most would have thought that before 2014 US nationals too...

vCash
    I wonder what their long-term goals are, if they're planning on trying to continue until 2018?

vCash
    I stand corrected: The IN article snippet above quotes D/C as having 'long term goals'. Perhaps they will NOT retire? It is kind of vague, though.

vCash
    Lol I clicked on this link with a stone in my stomach, dreadfully fearing a split of an awesome pair, which I fully expect to read after Worlds, but thank goodness it what wasn't I expected!

That said, I am real sorry to read the news about Caydee Denney. I was hoping against hope that with a deflated Worlds, meaning not everybody showing up, both D&C and Castelli/Schnapir just might equal 13, which would mean 3 pairs for next year's Worlds, but alas there's no possibility now.

Ah well, Good Luck to Z&B and C&S at Sr. Worlds.

vCash
    Maybe Z/B and C/S can improve on their Olympic placements and get three spots (or not).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Lol...most would have thought that before 2014 US nationals too...
    This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Not necessarily, with John still being rusty coming off his injury. Z/B may not have the biggest tricks but they were clearly well-trained at Nats and Olys. (I do hope I have not just jinxed them for Worlds!)

vCash
    Isn't it kind of strange that we never hear anything from D/C's rink, no gossip. If D/C used to be together romantically and supposedly have now broken up personally, I just kind of assumed that that might also be the end of the skating partnership too. When they were not chosen for the Os but for Worlds, to me, this seemed as if the US leaving them out of the Os selection was saying oh ya we kind of forgot that you all were US champion (was it twice?) and placed kind of high at Worlds (twice?) but you can go to Worlds because, guess what, we need you, we really do, in order to try to get back to three places for next year. But do D/C owe the US anything? Not really, and that was just a tad bit insulting to have not chosen them for Os. I loved Z/B, their finish in Boston was really spectacular, but I get how D/C just might have felt a little left out. So I am not surprised they are not going to Worlds. And I really think that this perhaps might not be just an injury, so they waited until the very last minute to call in the subs. This might in fact be the end of all aspects of their relationship. I think it's kind of a shame because they were strong competitors, she could land anything like a cat, and I don't think they ever quite reached their full potential. They could have learned so much more about elegance and they surely could have used much better choreography. OTOH they chose to stay with that coach so they probably had peaked.
    Last edited by Lacey; 03-22-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast