Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^Point taken. I was sexist w/o even realizing it

vCash
    Nice feature on Boston University's Jimmy Morgan (of Shaughnessy/Morgan): http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/a-dream-come-true/
    Excerpt:
    Nationals organizers were impressed and asked him to pull double duty during championships week. “They are starting a blog from the viewpoint of the competitor, and they want me to write that. I’ll be helping run their Twitter account once I’m done practicing and competing,” he says.

Balancing acts are nothing new to Morgan, who juggles afternoons spent skating with morning and evening classes and his internship. “It takes a lot of time management, like anything you want to do,” he says. “It takes a lot of compromise. You can’t do everything if you’re trying to do both. It’s something I’ve just accepted over the past couple of years.”

After graduation in May, Morgan plans to continue his juggling act, pursuing competitive skating, a coaching gig, and public relations.

“My partner and I have said that we’ll continue until it’s not fun anymore,” he says. “And I don’t see that happening anytime soon.”
    As mentioned in the excerpt above, Morgan is also starring in his own "The Social Athlete – An Inside Look At The U.S. Championships" blog on the event site: http://www.boston2014.com/category/the-social-athlete/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-22-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Morgan is so great on twitter. He and Shaughnessy seem to have a great relationship and a really healthy skating/off-ice balance. I wish them the best.

vCash
    Nice Article about Donlan and Speroff

http://www.boston2014.com/donlan-and...th-and-beauty/

vCash
    ^^

The team finished in fourth place in 2012, but dropped to sixth last year. Both skaters agree that, whatever happens in January, they will continue skating after this season.

“This has been an ongoing question I’ve had with myself all year,” Speroff said. “I’m pretty solid on the fact that I’m not ready to be done. There’s more I want to do, there’s more I can do.”

“I definitely want to keep going,” Donlan said. “I can’t imagine not doing pairs, I love it so much.”

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Something to look forward to in the next few years, and hopefully Worlds in Boston in 2016

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Reminder that Marissa and Simon will be skating on the TODAY show on Christmas morning (they taped the segment a couple of weeks ago).
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterpop View Post
    Or we could say ,'he is too small for her....' or even better, ' they are too close in size.'

Words are powerful beasties. We should probably tread carefully. Food for thought.
    Nice post. Thanks!

vCash
    Comcast SportsNet Chicago feature interview with Chicago area native Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (6 minutes): http://www.csnchicago.com/quest-gold...vercoming-odds
    Includes interview clips with Scimeca's former singles coach in Chicago, Maria Jezak-Athey, as well as her sister and mother.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Comcast SportsNet Chicago feature interview with Chicago area native Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (6 minutes): http://www.csnchicago.com/quest-gold...vercoming-odds
    Includes interview clips with Scimeca's former singles coach in Chicago, Maria Jezak-Athey, as well as her sister and mother.
    Some interesting spin from Mama Scimeca there! It's hard for teams that don't date because they can't fight about their bad practice in the car on the way home. Or something.

Also, no U.S. pair team has ever won an Olympic medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Also, no U.S. pair team has ever won an Olympic medal.
    I just assumed the guy left off the "in 20 years" part of the script.

ETA: Whoops, make that in "16 years." Sorry Watson/Oppegard!

vCash
    Per usual so many ups & down in the world of pairs skating. That said, I'm really glad that Mary Beth Marley has decided to return to pairs skating. Imho she left too young, but wisely did so on her own terms, and on those same terms I'm hoping she comes back rejuvenated, refreshed, older, wiser, and ready to rock!

And it sounds like everybody is gearing up for Nationals naturally, and with that comes the hype machine, lol. To be expected, but in the back of my mind I sometimes wonder if there is a parent or relative doing the hyping, always remembering the situation of Jennifer Kirk's mom...

My only hope is that everybody's skates their best and may the chips fall where they may. After all the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win.

vCash
    Good interview. First of all, if Brandon Frazier is a 'broooh', Chris Knierim is a 'doood'. But seriously, I'm thrilled to hear that they are going for 2018 regardless of what happens this year. They also sound like they have their heads screwed on straight and are realistic about their chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Good interview. First of all, if Brandon Frazier is a 'broooh', Chris Knierim is a 'doood'. But seriously, I'm thrilled to hear that they are going for 2018 regardless of what happens this year. They also sound like they have their heads screwed on straight and are realistic about their chances.
    Yeah, Chris is funny, definitely "the dude" in the pair as you say. :-) Good interview. Glad to hear they are already committed to 2018, I think they are the first U.S. pair to come out and say that, right?? And yes, they seem to have a very clear-eyed view of where they're at and what their potential is, which is great.

vCash
    According to the interview from Donlan and Speroff above they are also staying in after this season. Hope it is for another four years!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Something to look forward to in the next few years, and hopefully Worlds in Boston in 2016
    Excited for Boston Worlds for many reasons but a big one is that it will be a huge incentive for C/S & D/S to stick around even if they're unsure about 2018.

vCash
    I think the news guy meant meant no US team has won gold in pairs at the olympics because this team seems to have that as a goal for 2018. I am not sure about the history though has a US Pair team every won a gold medal in pairs??? Does anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    I am not sure about the history though has a US Pair team every won a gold medal in pairs???
    No, just 3 Olympic silvers since 1908: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._skating#Pairs
    1932 - Beatrix Loughran and Sherwin Badger (USA)
    1952 - Karol Kennedy and Peter Kennedy (USA)
    1984 - Kitty Carruthers and Peter Carruthers (USA)

2 Olympic bronzes:
    1960 - Nancy Ludington and Ronald Ludington (USA)
    1988 - Jill Watson and Peter Oppegard (USA)

vCash
    I just assumed the guy left off the "in 20 years" part of the script.

ETA: Whoops, make that in "16 years." Sorry Watson/Oppegard!
    26 years since Watson/Oppegard medaled.

I hope Scimeca/Knierim make the Olys! Actually, I wish we had 3 spots so C/S, D/S, and S/K could all go.

vCash
    Was about to turn my computer off and go enjoy the rest of this beautiful Christmas Day, then tada the TODAY show came on and there was Marissa & Simon! They came on at approximately 8:35AM PST. They skated to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and did a bunch of beautiful lifts, one the headbanger! And I had to LOL when Simon picked up the newscaster and skated around the ice with her.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO MARISSA & SIMON, MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM!!!!

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast