Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is there a list of who is competing what at sectionals in novice and junior pairs? Seems there are many new teams this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Is Rockne quite a bit less bulked up than he was a few years ago? He looks less muscled. The LP was a snooze.

I still miss McLaughlin/Brubaker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDMdSD8f9Y -- also skating to slow music, but with tremendously more connection to the music and to each other.
    I feel the same. McLaughlin/Brubaker became somewhat of a physical mismatch (similar to Davis/Brubaker in that respect, actually), but they were really "right" for each other, and it was a true partnership. Keauna had an it factor, and there was a genuine connection between the two of them.

Individual pair skaters are only as good as the partnership they form with someone else, and how they looked with previous partners no longer matters. Davis/Brubaker are solid jumpers who can present decent looking programs, but I think the rest has a ways to go. With the talent in the US pairs program right now, I think it would be a little disappointing if this new team ends up being one of our best at Nationals. They just haven't had enough time and there's nothing about them that really grabs my attention. It's all a little dull to me. It's definitely different than how I felt about a team like Scimeca/Knierim bursting onto the scene.

I'm sure it must be stressful for them because they're still trying to learn and fix things, yet there's no time to do much because competition season is already here. There are certain elements that I wonder how much better they could even get with time...They've shown good effort in their attempts at triple twists, and you can see they are trying to up their difficulty in their lifts and get their throws bigger, but those elements probably will never look as comfortable as they do for some of the other US teams. I hate to sound overly negative because they did skate well at Nebelhorn.

On another note, I like the improvements that I have seen in Denney/Coughlin. When I heard they were keeping the same long program (granted, they hardly got to use it last year because of his injury), I wasn't sure if we'd see any difference, but they have gotten better, reworked some of the program, and the last lift is a real step up in improving their look. Being able to hide weaknesses is sometimes as important as accentuating strengths. Their confidence and comfort with each other on the ice is one of the things I really like about them. They just make it look easy.

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    I like the Davis/Brubaker pairing mainly because Rockne is skating with a partner as mature as he is. I can't help feeling that the pressure of skating at the Senior level was overwhelming for McLaughlin and Mary Beth at a vunerable stage in their lives. (I understand that there were other issues in each parthnership as well.) I have always liked Brubaker as a pairs skater and wish the best for him and Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    FWIW I have always thought that Lindsay looked upset in the Kiss n Cry. When she was with Mark Ladwig I thought she looked miserable....even though their results were fairly good for a new team. Maybe she is upset with what she sees as her own mistakes, not necessarily something that is bad in the pairs partnership. JMO.
    I have rarely seen Lindsay Davis look happy, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I have rarely seen Lindsay Davis look happy, ever.
    This. LOL

vCash
    Just came from the K&C and cannot believe that the Olympic season really begins this week!

All three USA Teams are scheduled to compete tomorrow at Ondrej Nepela Trophy! WOOHOOO!!!

http://www.slovakskating.org/ont/2013/CAT003EN.HTM

If Caydee's little sister is anythng like her, and all indicators prove that she is, then I wouldn't be surprised to see her & her partner capture that much coveted second Olympic spot just like Caydee did back in '10.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM USA!!!!

vCash
    Senior B international scores so far this season:
    188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    Is there a list of who is competing what at sectionals in novice and junior pairs? Seems there are many new teams this year.
    Are you asking about technical elements or at which sectional the teams will compete?
    I count 12 Junior pairs and 19 Novice pairs (ETA: the new team of Juliette Erickson/Alex Brauner would make it 20) that are known to have competed so far this season: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/s...-pairs-scores/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey2 View Post
    ... I have always liked Brubaker as a pairs skater and wish the best for him and Davis.
    Ditto! I liked Brubaker with Mary Beth and with Keauna too. All partnerships need time to fully develop. In D/B's case there's added pressure with wanting to do well in an Olympic season, plus they are adjusting to new coaches too.

I understand why they may have stayed with a lp that had already been choreographed, and I don't criticize that decision. However, perhaps as a partnership they may fare better with music that is more fiery or modern/ edgy. I know it's a short YAS-choreographed challenge featuring Lindsay and Rockne with choreographer, Felicia Beck, but I found the music and D/B's work together in this former YAS video challenge intriguing and promising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF4SjCfl_tk

vCash
    Ondrej Nepela Trophy Pairs SP start order: http://www.slovakskating.org/ont/2013/SEG005.HTM (results will be updated after the event is over)
    Live stream is scheduled to begin in about 30 mins. - check the TV Alerts forum for the link if you don't have Kiss and Cry access.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    1ST PLACE FOR DONLAN & SPEROFF AFTER THE SP!!!!

Emotional perfect performance to Jules Massenet "Mediation from Thais". Big split 3twist, nicely landed sbs 3toes, elegantly landed throw-3salchow, strong lifts, beautiful beautiful performance.

Alas not to forget Denney & Frazier also had a nice performance with a few glitches, as well as Scimeca & Knierim.

vCash
    Denney & Frazier are in 4th place (he bailed out of their sbs 3-salchows and I think she doubled hers?), also she had a hand down on their throw-3R, but everything else was superb!

Scimeca & Knierim are in 2nd place (he fell on their sbs 3-salchows; hers was perfection) and they had an unfortunate fall near the end of their program, otherwise everything else was truly WORLD CLASS, FIRST RATE!!! Gold Medal contenders at Nationals most definitely.

ETA: and I give Scimeca & Knierim props for going for & landing that gorgeous throw-3F!!!

vCash

vCash
    Nepela SP protocols: http://www.slovakskating.org/ont/201..._SP_Scores.pdf

Re-posting what I wrote in the Kiss and Cry forum:
    Considering S/K both went down on the footwork and received no score for that element and Knierim fell on the 3S, they scored well! Knierim is skating with a metal plate and 9 screws in his ankle: http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/journal/

Great job by Donlan/Speroff! They got credit for the 3T (-), + on lift and 3STh and had 3 level 4 elements!

vCash
    ^I hope Chris is OK and that the falls were just opening jitters and not part of his injury. They're my favorite US team right now.

vCash
    Nepela Pairs SP on demand video link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...37#post4009137

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Nepela Pairs SP on demand video link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...37#post4009137
    Thanks Sylvia.

vCash
    The falls on the step sequence really disrupted Scimeca/Knierim's SP, but it's a nice program. Considering they lost over 10 pts on the missed elements (not including whatever PCS hit they took), and the fact that they lost a couple levels they could easily get, they should score extremely well with that. I thought the GOE for their throw could have been higher too. It's one of the better throw triple flips/lutzes out there.

Donlan/Speroff are stunning, they really are. They really have some rare qualities, and it's a joy to be able to watch a team like this. She seems to be getting more consistent in going for her jumps and getting them on her feet. The 3T still looks UR sometimes (she got full credit here though), but she's improving. Hopefully they can get the levels up on the elements where they only got credited for base level.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 10-04-2013 at 05:13 AM.

vCash
    Donlan/Speroff won Nepela! Not a clean long, but so pleased that they get an international win.

Scimeca/Knierim finished third. They just aren't ready yet, but I'm guessing they will be fine by January.

vCash
    Soooo very HAPPY for Donlan & Speroff on their 1st international win, and like a poster said in the K&C it's good for their confidence and they can use the points, right on!

Not a great skate for all 5 pairs, they all had falls and mishaps, but they got through it, that's important. And I honestly see Scimeca & Knierim and Denney & Frazier come blazing back for US Nationals. They both are strong jumpers and powerful teams. One's just getting over injury (i.e. S&K) whereas the other is just making their debut on the senior international circuit (i.e. D&F).

ps: it was lovely seeing the new young Russian team as well.

vCash
    Nepela FS protocols: http://www.slovakskating.org/ont/201..._FS_Scores.pdf

Senior international scores after Nepela Trophy:
    188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

Next up:
    Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin & Zhang/Bartholomay at Skate America
    Davis/Brubaker at Skate Canada; Leng/LeDuc & Calalang/Sidhu at Cup of Nice (Senior B)

2013 U.S. Junior champs Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer's names were crossed out on the ISU site as of today (Oct. 4) from the Rostelecom Cup Grand Prix in Russia (an official or public reason is not known at this time). It was reported during Champs Camp, which they both attended in late August, that Simpson was recovering from shoulder surgery in June.

Junior Grand Prix top total scores with 1 to go:
    134.33 Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini (JGP CZE, 5th)
    131.66 Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (JGP BLR, 2nd); JGP EST next
    122.25 Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban (JGP SVK, 7th); JGP EST next
    112.17 Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens (JGP BLR, 7th)

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast