Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I feel badly that MBM seems to have hurt feelings about Rockne keeping this free program, but considering the staggering costs of having a program choreographed and then getting to perform it only once in a small summer competition....? Seems like a fiscally responsible thing to do in such an expensive sport.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I think she's having a moment of nostalgia. It's understandable. Rockne was her partner and that was their program.

She should also cut Rockne some slack since it was her that ended the partnership. Rockne might not have the money to pay for another LP. As wonderful as it was to see him skate again, his Olympic dreams are on life support at this point. I don't blame him for cutting corners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I feel badly that MBM seems to have hurt feelings about Rockne keeping this free program, but considering the staggering costs of having a program choreographed and then getting to perform it only once in a small summer competition....? Seems like a fiscally responsible thing to do in such an expensive sport.
    Yeah. I agree. And Rockne had to start all over again, again. I think him keeping a program that he already worked very hard on and learned and knows is the best thing he could do for himself. Let's be real, his window is closing and he needs to do whatever he can for himself. Nothing wrong with that. MBM walked away from the sport for very good reasons, but Rockne was still left high and dry. He was left in a very bad position. Nobody faults MBM for doing what was best for herself, and nobody should fault Rockne for doing the same. IMO, of course.
    Team Peeps!

vCash

D/B hopes on Life Support?

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I think she's having a moment of nostalgia. It's understandable. Rockne was her partner and that was their program.

She should also cut Rockne some slack since it was her that ended the partnership. Rockne might not have the money to pay for another LP. As wonderful as it was to see him skate again, his Olympic dreams are on life support at this point. I don't blame him for cutting corners.
    Well lets hope and see what Dr. Johnny and Marina can do to save the patient!

vCash
    When MBM was interviewed by Dave and Jenny, I remember her going on about much she loved that program. I can see why he would be inclined to reuse it, but I'm for Mary Beth.

vCash
    It sounds like she's responding very emotionally, which isn't surprising considering (1) she's young and (2) the last couple of years have been hellish for her, and she's still really in recovery. Yes, it would have been kind and courteous of Rockne to ask MB or tell her, but for whatever reason he didn't. Not the greatest situation all round--for her because of the hurt and for him for looking bad re-using the program--but hopefully the hurt will wear off.

BTW, I wonder if what Rockne meant by "it's a totally different program" was that it was a completely different experience emotionally in terms of skating it with (for lack of a better word) a fully grown woman vs a teen who was many years his junior (and there are probably other ways in which MB and Lindsay are simply different people, so the chemistry will be different)? I would think a romance-themed program *would* be different in that respect.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Feel sorry for her. She may be regretting what she did. Bottom line, though, she walked away. She no longer has a say.

vCash
    I find it very distasteful to reuse the program. If I were Lindsay I wouldn't want to do a program that my new partner had choreographed with a former partner. Lindsay shouldn't have settled for a program designed for another girl. Very poor taste, no matter the cost IMO. MBM has every right to be upset. Yes, she walked away but if was for all the right reasons. Her health is of utmost importance. Shame on you Rockne and Lindsay for not respecting that and starting fresh with new partners and new programs.

vCash
    MBM walked away from Rockne, it was her decision to do whatever she wanted but she really put him into a tough spot...and that's a huge understatement. He lost a whole season a year before the Olympics. I wouldn't want to pay for another program either when the one he had was only used once at a small summer compeititon. MBM has no right to tell her ex-partner what he can and cannot skate to with his new partner. I agree with the poster who said she has buyers remorse. She should just be happy that the ex-partner she broke up with is moving on, hopefully she will learn a lot from this.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    I find it very distasteful to reuse the program. If I were Lindsay I wouldn't want to do a program that my new partner had choreographed with a former partner. Lindsay shouldn't have settled for a program designed for another girl. Very poor taste, no matter the cost IMO.
    But you're not Lindsay Davis, and she might feel very differently.

Some people move into homes their current partner made with a former partner and feel it is a fine decision for them, after weighing the options. Davis may have felt or agreed that in a new partnership, it was a better us of their time heading into Sochi that Brubaker knew the program inside out and could focus on helping her through the learning curve, and that the program was a known entity.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I also remember MB talking about how much she loved that program. I feel bad that she knows that Rockne is skating "their" program with another partner. But at the same time, Rockne's goal right now is Sochi, if using the same LP with Lindsey (SP?) was something that he and his team thought would help their chances to make it to Sochi by even a tiny bit, then I can't blame them for making such a deduction. The program was never debuted internationally, if it had it would be a different story. I hope after this that MB makes a heathy comeback to the sport though. She was by far my favorite US pairs lady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Feel sorry for her. She may be regretting what she did. Bottom line, though, she walked away. She no longer has a say.
    There's been no indication that she regrets it one bit.

She no longer has a say? Again, I wonder who paid Renee Roca for this choreo. There is no chance that back when they worked on this in 2012 that Rockne paid 100% of Roca's fee. Either they split it or MBM's family paid 100% (very common in US pair partnerships for the family of the female partner to take on the majority/all of the costs).

But let's assume they split it, you would think Rockne would go back to MBM and at least have a discussion with her about this, considering that she "owns" half the program. Instead, MBM only learned of this recycled LP along with the rest of us when she saw it performed last week.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If Marley had said, "I'm upset because I own 100% of this program or 50% of this program, and I feel ripped off" that would be a different issue, but her statement shows that his decision is a personal slap. While it might be a "nice to have," a jiltee's first obligation is not the feelings of the jilter.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I like both Rockne & Mary Beth, and was sad to see their partnership end, especially after having viewed their last exhibition performance to "La Vie en Rose" & "What A Wonderful World".

But, Mary Beth ended the partnership and is getting the help she needs (bravo!). And she did it early enough so that Rockne could find another partner and, hopefully, realize his Olympic dream before it's too late (he's already 27 yrs. old; he'll be 28 by the time of the next Olympics). Neither sad a bad word about the other. Classy on both their parts.

Let that classiness continue. jmho.

silence is golden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I like both Rockne & Mary Beth, and was sad to see their partnership end, especially after having viewed their last exhibition performance to "La Vie en Rose" & "What A Wonderful World".

But, Mary Beth ended the partnership and is getting the help she needs (bravo!). And she did it early enough so that Rockne could find another partner and, hopefully, realize his Olympic dream before it's too late (he's already 27 yrs. old; he'll be 28 by the time of the next Olympics). Neither sad a bad word about the other. Classy on both their parts.

Let that classiness continue. jmho.

silence is golden
    Quote Originally Posted by micronrd View Post
    Just not smart and isn't his dad a doctor??? I now skaters where their dad's are out of work or the older skater has to try to pay for it themselves and they make it work. Plus he is on split team funding right? Just saying even though skaters have trouble with funds if you have a chance for the Olympics you sacrifice and go for it but to claim money when your dad I believe is a doc? Not sure that will fly ....or is the point anyway.
    Regardless...
    You put your best out there and try to should your individuality and give your best. Putting together a new program especially if your regular coaching staff does the choreography and is Marina??? is not that hard. Instead of learning the pair spin you learn the beginning of the program. Instead of working on triple twist you do a footwork section. Instead of paying to have music done you do it yourself I am pretty sure he could have cut something. There are just options but maybe someone else who knows him or her better can comment on money...I don't think if you are a doc you have trouble with skating funds. If you are a roofer or teacher then it is a killer so I understand that for sure!! and maybe I'm wrong that is just what I heard. Money is not an issue there.

I think last year there is a team that showed us that being together 10months then going to World's being top ten for the USA they unfortunately threw away the stereotypes that short term means you can't gel. Someone with the experience of Rockne knows this and having had the same coach knows this so there is some other reason...not financial not that they are new...something else. It may be a strategy you never know.
    Although I feel sorry for MBM I mostly feel sorry for Lindsey too. She is like stepping into MBM shoes instead of her own very capable shoes who knows though maybe it will work and given their coach I have to believe there is a strategy there somewhere??

With US Pairs coming out like gangbusters this year I would be terrified to do a program anyone knew...HE has a capable coach...so maybe it will all work out. SOrry for MBM

vCash
    I bet my 50 cents that D/B won't make it to the Olys. Bad karma it is...You don't piss off people to get to the top. It is a small circle and disgruntles get real very fast. Reputation is sort of important, especially at national stage.

The problem is, D/B does have bigger throws and twists than the rest of teams, but those teams probably have more realistic opinions about themselves, are not rushing and have better gel and chemistry. The only thing going for D/B is the throws and twists. Mess up one element, D/B's chance is done for good. I sympathize with Rockne, though I'm not sure if he has to always cry poor. I'm sure he isn't the poorest of all the skaters out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    Just not smart and isn't his dad a doctor??? I now skaters where their dad's are out of work or the older skater has to try to pay for it themselves and they make it work. Plus he is on split team funding right? Just saying even though skaters have trouble with funds if you have a chance for the Olympics you sacrifice and go for it but to claim money when your dad I believe is a doc? Not sure that will fly ....or is the point anyway.
    Wow, a little harsh on Rockne much?

I don't believe he himself has claimed that the cost of the program's choreography is why he's adapting it for his new partner. I believe it is posters here who have suggested that cost may be a reason (and a valid one IMHO) for not shelling out more $$$ for a completely new program.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    Regardless...
    You put your best out there and try to should your individuality and give your best. Putting together a new program especially if your regular coaching staff does the choreography and is Marina??? is not that hard. Instead of learning the pair spin you learn the beginning of the program. Instead of working on triple twist you do a footwork section. Instead of paying to have music done you do it yourself I am pretty sure he could have cut something. There are just options but maybe someone else who knows him or her better can comment on money...I don't think if you are a doc you have trouble with skating funds. If you are a roofer or teacher then it is a killer so I understand that for sure!! and maybe I'm wrong that is just what I heard. Money is not an issue there.

I think last year there is a team that showed us that being together 10months then going to World's being top ten for the USA they unfortunately threw away the stereotypes that short term means you can't gel. Someone with the experience of Rockne knows this and having had the same coach knows this so there is some other reason...not financial not that they are new...something else. It may be a strategy you never know.
    Although I feel sorry for MBM I mostly feel sorry for Lindsey too. She is like stepping into MBM shoes instead of her own very capable shoes who knows though maybe it will work and given their coach I have to believe there is a strategy there somewhere??

With US Pairs coming out like gangbusters this year I would be terrified to do a program anyone knew...HE has a capable coach...so maybe it will all work out. SOrry for MBM
    Well for what ever reasons Rockne and Lindsay did what they did. Look at Scimeca and Kneirim there new short program is the same music he used with His former partner, Andrea Poabst, papa can you hear me? Very tacky as well regardless if new choreographer or not, but for whatever reason Rockne and Chris and the new partners dont care how there former partners feel. Very unfortunate and I'm with analia, bad karma for sure. But to each there own.

vCash
    Bad Karma? Denney/Coughlin, anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
    Well for what ever reasons Rockne and Lindsay did what they did. Look at Scimeca and Kneirim there new short program is the same music he used with His former partner, Andrea Poabst, papa can you hear me? Very tacky as well regardless if new choreographer or not, but for whatever reason Rockne and Chris and the new partners dont care how there former partners feel. Very unfortunate and I'm with analia, bad karma for sure. But to each there own.
    Here is the link of Poabst and Kneirim show their 2011 short program on there bio, which was the same music he now is using with Scimeca.

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...d=40231&mode=P

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast