Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks to Sayana_mnk for the vids (I watched them late last night)

Until I saw the videos I thought Donlan/Speroff did bad (like had a few falls), but I was pleasantly surprised to find out not just them but everybody had a pretty good skate, it was just close is all between Donlan/Speroff, Leng/LeDuc, Denney/Frazier, and Davis/Brubaker. Zhang/Bartholomay were way ahead, which surprised me a bit to tell the truth, as I thought their skate was just okay, especially their PCS (he in particular really needs to stretch his body and point his toes, her too; watch Rockne Brubaker, he could teach Bartholomay a thing or two, jmho). BUT, I must say they maximize every single point, whether it be having the most difficult lift (i.e. reverse lasso lift) or doing a throw 3F instead of the easier throw 3S, and landing their sbs jumps of course, including going for two sbs 2As right in a row (though he singled his first one). To me this is the reason why they were so far ahead, including their PCS, which was influenced by their consistency on the jumps.

Davis/Brubaker are a new team, but gaining every competition, so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually take over Zhang/Bartholomay by the time Nationals gets here. Reason: Rockne is a better all around skater than Bartholomay. Their female partners are neck & neck. Lol to be honest both of these pairs remind me of each other. I get them confused until they start skating. They have the same strengths as well (i.e. jumps), but now with the new & improved ballerino Rockne, I give him & Davis the edge. BUT, they need to up their difficulty to overtake Zhang/Bartholomay, and judging by Rockne's latest interview he knows that, and they're getting there little by little. Coming in here second to Z/B proves that.

Leng/LeDuc, Donlan/Speroff, and Kayne/O'Shea are all running neck & neck, their strength is the PCS, whomever lands the jumps will come out ahead of the others. That's the only difference imho. In order to distinguish themselves from the pack one of them must stand out with more innovative choreography, thee most difficult lifts, the highest split 3twist, things like that.

And then of course there's the spoiler, young upstarts Denney/Frazier, whom is just as good as her sister Caydee. *sigh* Watch out, thy name is consistency when it comes to the jumps...

One last note, it's good to see Donlan/Speroff were 3:3 in their throw jumps (Yeah). I can't remember the last time I saw them do so. And even more surprising was Gretchen not falling on her butt in their sbs jumps (she was really fighting; hand down & extra turn is all). It was Andrew that singled his 2A). Miracles never cease.

vCash
    So glad to see Davis/Brubaker's progress.

vCash
    Anyone think that the defending US Pairs champions will be lucky to get into the top 4 at Nationals next year?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Anyone think that the defending US Pairs champions will be lucky to get into the top 4 at Nationals next year?
    We haven't even seen Marissa and Simon compete yet this season. They also have something going for them that a lot of these pairs don't - years of experience with each other. I'm excited to see what the programs they've put together this year. They were very consistent last year, and if they can build on that, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be on the podium again.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    I came in to watch the seniors, Zhang and Bartholomay definitely looked the most trained and competition ready of all the pairs. They maintained good speed and presence throughout the whole program.

I just missed the juniors though, anyone know how they did? Thanks

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    U.S. Pairs Scoretracker (Senior down to Juvenile) has been updated through Skate Detroit - SP & FS scores have been combined (they were separate events in Detroit): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/s...-pairs-scores/
    Pairs' results/scores are compiled in my blog (official results for Skate Detroit have not been published online yet, AFAIK): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...skate-detroit/

ETA that 2013 Novice champs Christina ZAITSEV / Ernie Utah STEVENS, who competed in Detroit this past weekend, is the sole U.S. pair assigned to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia. The 5 listed alternates are, in alphabetical order:
    Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE J3
    Kaitlin BUDD / Nikita CHEBAN N2 (competed in Detroit)
    Sophia DAI / Jeffrey FISHMAN N5 (competed SP only in Detroit)
    Chelsea LIU / Devin PERINI J4 (competed in Detroit; JGP-eligible team with highest combined score there)
    Aya TAKAI / Brian JOHNSON N4 (competed in Detroit)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-29-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Last edited by carriemarie; 07-30-2013 at 03:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    We haven't even seen Marissa and Simon compete yet this season. They also have something going for them that a lot of these pairs don't - years of experience with each other. I'm excited to see what the programs they've put together this year. They were very consistent last year, and if they can build on that, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be on the podium again.
    I believe C/S will debut at the Cranberry Open? They usually compete there. But, TBH, I can't even remember if that competition occurred already ...

Anyway, I was excited by Z/B's scores. They are a hungry, motivated team! Their team has obviously been studying CoP and they look good overall. The only thing that keeps me from fully embracing them as a fave is that their explosive elements (3twist, throw jumps) don't really soar like some of the top teams. IDK if that will come with more time or confidence, or it's just because they (he) have a height disadvantage.

Same for D/B. Did so well for so little time together! Little glitches here and there but looking good. Her fall on the 1st 2x of a 2x-2x combo cost them around half-dozen points, so their score would've been significantly better w/o a fall on that element.

I can't say enough how impressed by L/L. I like their speed across the ice (they look fast to me) and their ambition. Glad to see that their 3twist was better and I like the fact that they do two sets of triple jumps (the other US pairs should take note and do the same; only way to be more competitive on the World level).

Could US pairs actually become a player on the world stage???

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Kiss and Cry (thanks, Heather!):
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Zhang & Bartholomay LP: http://youtu.be/epA5afkLnUA

Davis & Brubaker LP: http://youtu.be/hEDBGG9RnIE

Donlan & Speroff LP: http://youtu.be/BMfzm6iisMo

Kayne & O'Shea LP: http://youtu.be/zi5IRMI0ums
    ETA: Castelli/Shnapir are scheduled to compete in Montreal at the Championnats québécois d'été, Aug. 8-11, and at Cranberry Open the following weekend with their Boston training mates Donlan/Speroff, Baga/Toth, and Shaughnessy/Morgan (debuting in senior).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-30-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I believe C/S will debut at the Cranberry Open? They usually compete there. But, TBH, I can't even remember if that competition occurred already ...

Anyway, I was excited by Z/B's scores. They are a hungry, motivated team! Their team has obviously been studying CoP and they look good overall. The only thing that keeps me from fully embracing them as a fave is that their explosive elements (3twist, throw jumps) don't really soar like some of the top teams. IDK if that will come with more time or confidence, or it's just because they (he) have a height disadvantage.

Same for D/B. Did so well for so little time together! Little glitches here and there but looking good. Her fall on the 1st 2x of a 2x-2x combo cost them around half-dozen points, so their score would've been significantly better w/o a fall on that element.

I can't say enough how impressed by L/L. I like their speed across the ice (they look fast to me) and their ambition. Glad to see that their 3twist was better and I like the fact that they do two sets of triple jumps (the other US pairs should take note and do the same; only way to be more competitive on the World level).

Could US pairs actually become a player on the world stage???
    L/L only do a 2 twist. They also only did 2 throw doubles in the free that day, one of which she fell on. I appreciate their solo triples as much as anyone, but I personally look at pair elements first at a pair event.
    Last edited by jdonavan; 07-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    No, Davis/Brubaker did a 2A/2T combo., well he did (she fell on her fully rotated 2A). Also YEAH they debuted a 3twist here (first time ever, crashy but done; in the short they did a gorgeous 2twist)! They opened with gorgeous matching perfect sbs 3salchows and then followed that up with a split 3twist, 2A/2T combo., and then did an impressive throw 3S right into a throw 3F (both after the halfway mark, 1-2 punch
    !).

Whereas Zhang/Bartholomay opened with a nice big split 3twist with no crashy landing (unlike Davis/Brubaker), followed up with nice sbs 3salchows, then a very difficult throw 3F, finally after the halfway mark they did a 2A/2A combo. (steps in between; he singled his first one), and late in the program they did a lovely throw 3salchow followed up immediately with that gorgeous very very difficult reverse lasso lift, and they ended with more difficult and innovative lifts. Btw, I would give them the edge in pair connection here, they have more chemistry on ice then Davis/Brubaker right now. Jmho.

And THANKS to HeatherC for the close-up videos, much much appreciated!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Skate Detroit Sr. Pairs FS recap article with quotes from the top finishers: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Hmm, I just now watched Leng/LeDuc's LP and don't understand how it outscored both Donlan/Speroff and Kayne/O'Shea?

Seriously, Leng/LeDuc opened with a simple split 2twist, followed up with FABULOUS 3T/2T/2R combos. (BRAVO!), then fell on their throw 2S, landed perfect sbs 3salchows after the halfway mark, finally ending with a simple throw 2R. Yes, they have nice choreography and line on the ice (same as Donlan/Speroff & Kayne/O'Shea), but those doubles should be taken into account. Jmho.

In fact I would have had Kayne/O'Shea ahead of both of them, unfortunately they came in last to D/S & L/L. Such a shame as they opened with a nice big split 3twist, followed up with a Fab 3S/3S combo. (steps in between and she had a hand down and a slight bobble on the first one), beautiful throw 3R, sbs 2As after the halfway mark (she singled hers), and late in the program a nice throw 3S.

Finally, Donlan/Speroff opened with a nice big split 3twist per usual, followed up with sbs 3Ts (hand down & step out from her), 2As (he singled his and she double-footed hers)/2T sequence, nice throw 3R after the halfway mark (slight step out from her), and late in the program an equally nice throw 3S (mayhap her left foot brushed the ice to be nitpicky). Anyhow, I would have put their FS behind Kayne/O'Shea.

Just my opinion.

vCash
    I could watch the Boston Ballet on Ice for hours. Doesn't matter they can't land anything.

vCash
    So I'm going to bite here since no one else has.

It appears that Rockne just took the last LP he had choreographed with Mary Beth (by Renee Roca, I believe?) and now is using it with Davis. Same music cut, same intro choreo, same ending, same placement on some of the elements, same transitional steps.... what's up with that? Is that unethical considering that MBM's parents likely paid for some/all of the choreography? It's certainly tacky at a minimum, in my opinion.

Marley/Brubaker 2012 Los Angeles Open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALGTtcu93U
    Davis/Brubaker 2013 Skate Detroit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDBGG9RnIE

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I mentioned it in my earlier post: "Davis / Brubaker ("Umbrellas of Cherbourg" with a fast violin piece inserted in the middle - same FS music Marley/Brubaker used at L.A. Open last year)."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I mentioned it in my earlier post: "Davis / Brubaker ("Umbrellas of Cherbourg" with a fast violin piece inserted in the middle - same FS music Marley/Brubaker used at L.A. Open last year)."
    A lot more than just the same music cut though...

vCash
    Well, MBM doesn't seem too stressed about the music and program, so why should we be? We don't know what the deal was with payment, etc., and they could have sorted it out among themselves. I don't think it's "tacky" - the program was hardly used for competition, it's a good program - why not make use of it if the coaches thought it a suitable vehicle for Rockne and his new partner. JMO on the music issue.

vCash
    What is the story with Lindsay? How come she has bounced around so much. I thought she had some lovely moments in this skate. Would love to see more stretch in her lines.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    So I'm going to bite here since no one else has.

It appears that Rockne just took the last LP he had choreographed with Mary Beth (by Renee Roca, I believe?) and now is using it with Davis. Same music cut, same intro choreo, same ending, same placement on some of the elements, same transitional steps.... what's up with that? Is that unethical considering that MBM's parents likely paid for some/all of the choreography? It's certainly tacky at a minimum, in my opinion.

Marley/Brubaker 2012 Los Angeles Open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALGTtcu93U
    Davis/Brubaker 2013 Skate Detroit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDBGG9RnIE
    Artur Dmitriev had no problem doing the same.

Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast