Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Copying over the names of the 20 teams listed in the International Selection Pool from the ISP thread in GSD (2013 Nationals placements included; * indicates they are ISU Junior age-eligible in 2013-14):

Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage* J3
    Kiri Baga & Taylor Toth S8
    Kaitlin Budd & Nikita Cheban* N2
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu J2
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir S1
    Sophia Dai & Jeffrey Fishman* N5
    Brianna de la Mora & Taylor Wilson J5
    Caydee Denney & John Coughlin WD-inj.
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier* S5
    Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff S6
    Tarah Kayne & Daniel O’Shea S7
    DeeDee Leng & Timothy LeDuc S9
    Chelsea Liu & Devin Perini* J4
    Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss J6
    Alexa Scimeca & Christopher Knierim S2
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer J1
    Aya Takai & Brian Johnson* N4
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin S10
    Christina Zaitsev & Ernie Utah Stevens* N1
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay S3
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Competition update: Castelli/Shnapir will represent Team USA at World Team Trophy, April 11-14 in Tokyo, Japan (which means they won't be performing in their club's "Ice Chips" show the same weekend). Denney/Frazier are listed as the WTT pair alternates.

Florida article on Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier's Junior Worlds win (includes quotes from John Zimmerman): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/r...,7102947.story
    "The pair, which has been in Montreal recently choreographing new programs before their next major competition this June in Detroit, ..." (It sounds like they're working with Julie Marcotte in Montreal again this season.)

Skate Detroit is July 23-27, 2013.

There's a new(?) pairs competition in Fort Wayne, Indiana, June 7-8, held in conjunction with USFS' National Pairs Camp
    June 7-9, 2013:
    Technical Feedback Sessions: Saturday, June 8 (afternoon)
    Half-day Seminar: Saturday, June 8 (afternoon/evening)
    Competition Announcement (includes Test Session, Program Critiques, Pair Tryouts, PSA Rating Exams): http://www.fortwayneiceskatingclub.o...nouncement.pdf
    I think I remember the Ft. Wayne competition last year. Still, it would behoove US pairs to take advantage of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think I remember the Ft. Wayne competition last year. Still, it would behoove US pairs to take advantage of it.
    Especially now that the usual venue for the Indy Pairs Challenge will be closed in a couple months. . . (Don't think there was a specific pairs competition last year in Ft Wayne, but there was a pairs camp held in Ft Wayne.)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Do you know where Indy Challenge will be held this year?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    (Don't think there was a specific pairs competition last year in Ft Wayne, but there was a pairs camp held in Ft Wayne.)
    Correct - a USFS pairs camp was held there for the first time last year, not a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Do you know where Indy Challenge will be held this year?
    The info should show up on the club page soon: http://www.iwsafsc.org/
    "2013 Indy Challenge pairs competition will be held and full information will be posted soon"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin have announced their decision to retire from competition - article link is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3892976
    Quote from Tiffany:
    Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin have decided to retire from competitive skating after skating together for four years. Vise said that injuries have been hampering the team and affecting its performances for the past couple of years.

"After 23 years of skating, 15 years competing singles and 18 years competing in pairs, I have decided to retire from the competitive side of the sport," she said. "It's going feel odd not competing anymore because I love competing and I have been doing it for such a long time, but there comes a time where you want to start a new chapter in your life."

Vise said that both she and Baldwin want to stay involved with the sport. They plan to keep skating together and performing in shows, and they will coach as a team at the Ice Den in Scottsdale, Ariz.
    Best wishes to both of them!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Agreed, best wishes to Tiffany and Don for their future. And this may have been with another partner, but Tiffany's retirement from competition is a good time to remember the historic quad throw.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin are retiring from competition and Tim Koleto (6th in Junior Men at 2012 U.S. Nationals) has formed a new ice dancing partnership with Yura Min and they hope to compete at Korean Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    The momentous thing about this announcement is that I don't remember a Nationals that I have attended (since 1990) that hasn't had a Baldwin competing. Mr and Mrs. Baldwin Sr. will feel pretty lost, I imagine.

Cross posted from the other thread. More appropriate here.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 04-05-2013 at 12:37 AM.

vCash
    ^It's odd to retire just before an Olympic season commences. But perhaps it's for the best. IDK, I got the impression watching them compete this past season they weren't really into it whether due to injury or something personal going on.

vCash
    If anyone is interested, Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis are scheduled to appear at the 2013 Oakton Ice Arena Ice Show, 4/26- 4/28, in Park Ridge, IL. Also Ryan Bradley. Here is the link for more information. There is no roster posted on the website, but I was at the rink this morning and confirmed they are planning on being there.

http://www.prparks.org/facilities/oakton-ice-arena

vCash
    Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin have announced their decision to retire from competition - article link is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3892976
    Quote from Tiffany:

Best wishes to both of them!
    Agreed that Tiffany will always have Paris. . . um, that quad throw, first throw qual sal ratified in int'l competition. It's been a good career for her, even if her partnership with Baldwin may not have lived up to expectations. Tiffany & Don will surely be a big asset to up and coming pairs skaters with all their experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    If anyone is interested, Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis are scheduled to appear at the 2013 Oakton Ice Arena Ice Show, 4/26- 4/28, in Park Ridge, IL. Also Ryan Bradley. Here is the link for more information. There is no roster posted on the website, but I was at the rink this morning and confirmed they are planning on being there.

http://www.prparks.org/facilities/oakton-ice-arena
    I won't be there but someone MUST post pics/impressions/vids/whatever.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Castelli/Shnapir went for the throw quad Salchow (8.00 BV) in their World Team Trophy FS earlier today - she rotated it and fell and the element was worth 5.14 points (plus -1 deduction). At Worlds, their throw 2A (4.00 BV) with + GOE received 5.20 points.

Joseph Dolkiewicz, age 20, is now listed on IPS (he and Audrey Goldberg WD from Junior Pairs at Easterns in November 2012). From their Team USA bio: "They were 2010 U.S. intermediate silver medalists and the 2011 U.S. novice bronze medalists ... Started skating together in February 2008."

vCash
    Castelli/Shnapir went for the throw quad Salchow (8.00 BV) in their World Team Trophy FS earlier today - she rotated it and fell and the element was worth 5.14 points (plus -1 deduction). At Worlds, their throw 2A (4.00 BV) with + GOE received 5.20 points.

Joseph Dolkiewicz, age 20, is now listed on IPS (he and Audrey Goldberg WD from Junior Pairs at Easterns in November 2012). From their Team USA bio: "They were 2010 U.S. intermediate silver medalists and the 2011 U.S. novice bronze medalists ... Started skating together in February 2008."
    You know, I watched their video and I had to do a double-take. It only occurred to me afterwards that they went for it, when I noticed there was no throw 2x in their program. LOL

vCash
    I think that C/S will be lucky to make it in the top 4 next year at Nationals. They got lucky with the 3 teams from last year's podium not being there. K/S have already passed them up i think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think that C/S will be lucky to make it in the top 4 next year at Nationals. They got lucky with the 3 teams from last year's podium not being there.
    So did everyone else, and C/S ended up beating all of them. Out of those top 3 teams from 2012, 2 have been gone for good, so they don't affect anything anymore. We can expect D/C to be back to their usual form, but it's probably too early to say what will happen otherwise...The pairs landscape is a little unpredictable. If C/S can land that quad with any sort of regularity (and skate well overall), they would certainly seriously challenge for a US medal and perhaps a top 2 spot. They've made good improvements this past year. Depending on how the other teams end up looking next season, they might not need the quad to medal, just like this year.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 04-14-2013 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think that C/S will be lucky to make it in the top 4 next year at Nationals. They got lucky with the 3 teams from last year's podium not being there. K/S have already passed them up i think.
    I think they'll get beaten by Scimeca/Knierim and Denney/Coughlin, but they may be able to hold onto 3rd place over Zhang/Bartholomay and Davis/Brubaker (although there's no guarantees of Davis/Brubaker being in the top 4, either, as they haven't competed yet).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think they'll get beaten by Scimeca/Knierim and Denney/Coughlin, but they may be able to hold onto 3rd place over Zhang/Bartholomay and Davis/Brubaker (although there's no guarantees of Davis/Brubaker being in the top 4, either, as they haven't competed yet).
    Also Denney/Frazier. Dependig on their progress curve, they might be right there in the mix, as well.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I'm actually a little excited for US pairs in the coming years. The pool of talent has started to grow, and out of that pool, odds are that of D/C, S/K, C/S, Z/B, D/F, D/B, K/O, and maybe even L/L and B/T, two teams will probably break out who can compete alongside some of the best in the world. Maybe 3 spots aren't out of the question in the next quadrennial on the road to Pyeongchang once you consider that there will be some retirements at the top post-Sochi.

I'm encouraged that D/C and S/K are going completely outside for their choreography this coming season. PCS are the things holding those 2 pairs back right now. But, I'm also encouraged that C/S are trying to up the ante with a throw quad. Additionally, Z/B, K/O and D/F should be highly motivated in the coming season by skating/scoring so well and medalling at their final international competitions this past season. Then, there is D/B who are already skating publicly at the end of this month. IMO, they must be confident in how they look to do so

vCash
    ITA with your assessments olympic. I wonder how the show went with D/B this weekend. Did anyone attend? I know there's another thread here in GSD about the show.

Re US pairs, it will be interesting to see what Marcotte does for D/C. I think C/S did very well with Marcotte's choreo this past season. It will definitely be exciting to see progress/ improvements among U.S. pairs -- and I'm hoping teams stay together and enjoy great success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ITA with your assessments olympic. I wonder how the show went with D/B this weekend. Did anyone attend? I know there's another thread here in GSD about the show.

Re US pairs, it will be interesting to see what Marcotte does for D/C. I think C/S did very well with Marcotte's choreo this past season. It will definitely be exciting to see progress/ improvements among U.S. pairs -- and I'm hoping teams stay together and enjoy great success.
    My fingers are crossed for D/C to find a look with Marcotte that fits them well.

Here's my wish list for US pairs:

1. D/C - see my comment. Also, I would also like to see Caydee 1) point her toes; 2) show more expression when she skates; 3) work with her team to adapt more flattering lift positions; 4) She and John do a lot of big tricks and are getting better levels, but I'd like to see them go for a 2nd set of triples to be more competitive with those teams towards the top. They are very consistent, so maybe it's time to up the ante.

2. C/S - They've done a good job in the style department that has helped their PCS and they've gained some consistency. They also have decent speed. But, I would like to see 1) another set of triples in the LP (like D/C). They are capable of 3toes and 3sals on a good day, but a 2x-2x would be an improvement; 2) work on a harder throw triple in the LP if the Quad doesn't pan out; 3) they would seem to have the ability to get good levels on the Throw Triple Twist. Sometimes, surprised that it doesn't happen.

3. S/K - Wow. So much potential. They remind me a little of Totmianina / Marinin before they blossomed and it's within their grasp to be the #1 US team. I would like to see them 1) do another set of triples in the LP (C/S, D/C, pattern here?) or even a 2x-2x sequence would be an improvement; 2) keeping up the intensity in the 2nd portion of their programs; 3) Work on their connection to the audience and projecting beyond themselves. Going to MT/M's choreographer is a step in the right direction IMO.

4. Z/B - They seem really motivated based on their performances at the end of the past 2 seasons. I think they need to find a way to skate 'bigger' and 'grander' to become a top US or even world team. Yet another US team with big tricks and good levels. But, I'm not sure how to quantify this - elements just overall need more projection and power. Also, 1) work on the triple twist to get a higher level; 2) get a little more consistent with the Throw 3z; and 3) once again, maybe go for a 2nd set of triples in the LP. They already do 2x-2x seq., and 3toes. Once in a while, the 3toes gets away from them. So, maybe that's a stretch.

5. K/O - Wow. They made a huge jump at Challenge Cup in the Netherlands. But, they also need to 1) lock down the triple twist; and 2) for the time being, just keep doing whatever it is that they are doing. It seems to be coming naturally

6. D/F - World Junior Champs. They have a good connection to each other and sense of style to build on. They just need to 1) maintain their levels throughout big competitions; and 2) build on what they have. They are where they should be at this moment IMO. BTW, I do hope she doesn't outgrow him!

7. D/B - Judgment awaits. Big things are expected from them. It's within the realm of reason that they have an impressive debut. But, I'm sure all the levels won't quite be there their 1st year together. Encouraged that her age, height and consistency (relatively speaking) permit them to go for SBS triples, and opens up a whole world of choreography he couldn't get away with while teamed with MBM and even Keauna. They both have the ability ultimately to do all the big tricks, get great levels, and project to the audience. (I think if D/B and S/K develop, they would be the top US teams)

8. L/L - This team for me is potentially amazing and a potential train wreck at the same time. LOL. He has got the ability to perform like a star, but at times, she seems like she's having trouble keeping up with him. I hope this is an issue of being fairly new. 1) Their Triple Twist is a hot mess. I hope they can sort that out before anything else. 2) They just need to get used to each other. I don't think they should go for anything more ambitious because they already seem to be for a new pair, just let the elements they do fall into place and they will do quite well... as long as they stay together.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast