Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Pillay has choreographed Canadian Liam Firus' programs for many years now - I enjoy watching him skate. ETA: Pillay choreographed both of Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch's programs this season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I see a renaissance percolating in US pairs.

Even if they're not getting big results at the moment, I think starting by '14 Worlds and down the road to Pyeongchang '18, we might start seeing US teams do enough to get 3 spots again- outside of our highest scorers: D/C and C/S. All of S/K, K/O and Z/B have suddenly shown themselves to be worthy rivals and easily able to achieve scores around 170 points internationally. Additionally, I look forward to D/B. If Rockne was able to get a top 10 Worlds result with MBM, then the potential for this pair is great as well. Finally, we have World Junior Champs D/F getting a boost and who knows what we will see with talents like the eye-catching L/L or Y/R (I'll reserve judgment on that last team until they actually perform).

It's a deeper field than I've ever seen going back over a decade. I think this is a situation where with so many possibilities, that at least 2 of all of the above listed pairs will blossom to full potential, or am I reaching for the stars?

vCash
    It's going to probably take a couple years at least to get 3 spots back. S/S no doubt are going to retire and maybe so are V/T so what you have left are the Canadians and a couple lesser Russian teams. China seems to be out of it for the moment since P/T can't go on forever.
    Last edited by Jammers; 03-15-2013 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    ^I wonder how much longer K/S are going to be around, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^I wonder how much longer K/S are going to be around, too.

Duhamel is 28 I believe. I also remember reading somewhere that she is planning to retire after Sochi.

vCash
    Another great thing for Scimeca/Knierim is that their top 10 placement earns them increased funding (A envelope) for next season

They're also guaranteed two GPs next season

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Pillay has choreographed Canadian Liam Firus' programs for many years now - I enjoy watching him skate. ETA: Pillay choreographed both of Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch's programs this season.
    I really liked M-T/M's programs, especially the short! Will be great to see what Pillay can do for S/K.

vCash
    Just saw on IN that S/K have been asked to skate in the World's Gala!

vCash
    Michael Johnson US Junior Pairs is off IPS

vCash
    Article after the Pairs FS at Worlds: http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/pos...ngevity-is-key

Excerpt from Phil Hersh's Pairs FS article:
    “We’re just thankful we had such a great run this season,” Scimeca said.

The trick for Scimeca, 21, and Knierim, 25, will be handling the inevitable future adversity as well as they did her injury. That could become more complicated because they also are a couple off the ice.

“That’s not something I would recommend,” Sappenfield said of the romantic relationship, “but they are both adults, so there is nothing I can do about it.”

Knierim said they take pains to compartmentalize their lives into on- and off-ice segments. Scimeca acknowledged it isn’t always easy.

“Because we are dating, training every day can be difficult,” she said. “(We need) to be able to tell each other, `Hey, I’m not feeling this great today, don’t take it personally.’ And we are able to make it through each day without there being conflict and emotions, because we are very open with each other.’’
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wondering if anyone knows when D/B's first competition or exhibition will be? Excited to see them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    Wondering if anyone knows when D/B's first competition or exhibition will be? Excited to see them.
    I would assume they will want to take advantage of any number of summer comps due to the fact that 1) they are a new pair; and 2) it is an Olympic year. I think we will see them at Skate Detroit and / or Indy Challenge. Both are in the Midwest and near their rink (I think they are located w/ Johnny Johns in OH???)

Also, perhaps they will compete an SP only or something like that at Liberty, similar to D/C back when they were a newly formed pair?

vCash
    Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker train in Canton, Michigan with Johnny Johns and Marina Zoueva. I believe Lindsay Davis just recently started training in Canton.
    Re-posting the February 19 article that announced their partnership: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    They hope to be ready to skate in some shows and local competitions by early summer.
    "Five favorite things with Scimeca and Knierim":
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2013 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    "Five favorite things with Scimeca and Knierim":
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Cute! Alexa seems to have such a fun personality.

vCash
    Anyone think that Alexa could pass for Gracie Gold's older sister?

vCash
    What's really funny is that Alexa's red costume looks a lot like Gracie's SP costume, and in their FS, S/K are skating to the same music as Gracie's FS (Life is Beautiful).

vCash
    John Coughlin tweeted earlier today: "On our way back from an incredible week with Julie Marcotte!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Cute! Alexa seems to have such a fun personality.
    "I like to do rhinestone things." LOL. Me too.

vCash
    John Coughlin tweeted earlier today: "On our way back from an incredible week with Julie Marcotte!"
    This is a good sign. They are starting early and going to a good choreographer. But, I hope they can pace themselves, and I also hope Julie helps them think outside the box and doesn't give them classical or pageant-like programs. As stated previously in several threads, that doesn't work for them.

vCash
    Competition update: Castelli/Shnapir will represent Team USA at World Team Trophy, April 11-14 in Tokyo, Japan (which means they won't be performing in their club's "Ice Chips" show the same weekend). Denney/Frazier are listed as the WTT pair alternates.

Florida article on Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier's Junior Worlds win (includes quotes from John Zimmerman): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/r...,7102947.story
    "The pair, which has been in Montreal recently choreographing new programs before their next major competition this June in Detroit, ..." (It sounds like they're working with Julie Marcotte in Montreal again this season.)

Skate Detroit is July 23-27, 2013.

There's a new(?) pairs competition in Fort Wayne, Indiana, June 7-8, held in conjunction with USFS' National Pairs Camp
    June 7-9, 2013:
    Technical Feedback Sessions: Saturday, June 8 (afternoon)
    Half-day Seminar: Saturday, June 8 (afternoon/evening)
    Competition Announcement (includes Test Session, Program Critiques, Pair Tryouts, PSA Rating Exams): http://www.fortwayneiceskatingclub.o...nouncement.pdf
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-26-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast