Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I also have Grishuk & Platov's FD from these Olympics with Chris Dean commentating (he liked them back then!).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlNzp_V35A
    The commentator says both G&P used to be pairs skaters... is that true? First time I've heard it.

vCash
    I find Petr Barna wierdly hot.

That is all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Well, I'll accept that it was the first time "this" [a (bronze) medalist successfully landing a quadruple jump] had been accomplished at the Olympics.

But I'd like to know where this Sports Reference website gets its facts from. Unless the ISU has said that they officially ratified Barna's quad and not Kostin's or Urmanov's earlier that evening, then I don't take a statement that Barna's was the first successful quad anyone ever landed in Olympic competition as official or accurate.
    It's not just Sports Reference. It's widely referenced as being the first. Here are just a couple more examples:-

Globe & Mail

http://www.iceskate.net/term_jump.php

Moreover, in David Wallechinsky's book, "The Complete Book of the Winter Olympics," it confirms that Peter Barna was recognised and credited with landing the first quad at the Olympics. I certainly agree though that it would be interesting to know exactly how Barna's quad came to be credited with being the first, and why. I suspect, however, that the reasoning is that Barna was adjudged not to have touched the ice with his free foot, that Urmanov was deemed to have put his hand down, and that Kostin failed to land his. That said, if Barna was deemed not to have touched the ice with his free foot, then it was a dubious decision and it is certainly debatable as to whether his jump should count as the first Olympic quad. Nevertheless, for whatever reason it was credited as the first.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-11-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I find Petr Barna wierdly hot.

That is all.
    You're not alone. That said, worst Olys ever. Hated the arena and the ladies result traumatised me. I was one hardcore 18 yr old Ito uber The only performances from this games that I have ever re-watched are Ito's long, K&P and Wylie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Hated the arena
    Me too! It seems pretty small for an Olympics FWIW I didn't like Vancouver either.

vCash
    As great as K&P skated here, I always thought they skated with even more freedom and ease at worlds, especially in the FD. I prefer to watch that performance to the Olympic one.

Many will call me crazy but I honestly would've placed them 2nd at these Olympics. Their blues CD was IMO superior to either the Duchesnays or Usova/Zhulin (Usova clearly does a back inside edge on her chocktaw rather than the required back outside edge). And both their OD and FD were so much more difficult than the couples I mentioned.
    I agree. The skating quality was so much higher than the Duchesnays, and the difficulty higher than U&Z.

At the same time, even though I personally like the FD, I don't think it was the greatest vehicle for them. The choreography itself was intricate and very interesting, but the music and packaging seemed odd and not as "Olympic" as the programs that finished ahead of them.

But they probably wouldn't have made the podium no matter what the FD was. The push for the Duchesnays was too strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    As great as K&P skated here, I always thought they skated with even more freedom and ease at worlds, especially in the FD. I prefer to watch that performance to the Olympic one.

I agree. The skating quality was so much higher than the Duchesnays, and the difficulty higher than U&Z.

At the same time, even though I personally like the FD, I don't think it was the greatest vehicle for them. The choreography itself was intricate and very interesting, but the music and packaging seemed odd and not as "Olympic" as the programs that finished ahead of them.

But they probably wouldn't have made the podium no matter what the FD was. The push for the Duchesnays was too strong.
    I get what you mean by 'not as Olympic' as some of the others. But I loved that FD in that it was a very different look for them (although the costumes are just hideous). Previously they skated to Zorba the Greek and an Italian folk medley while their 92 vehicle was much more contemporary. It's to my understanding that they represented 2 robots who come to life. I loved the middle (slow) section. The background beat sounds almost like raindrops. And the final section was fantastic in terms of difficulty. I was just so much more impressed with their content relative to all the other teams except Klimova & Ponomarenko. And when I look at their compulsory dances, their handholds look more relaxed to me, they have beautifully straight backs, beautifully high free legs, and much bigger patterns. But like you said, the push for the Duchesnays was just too strong (can't believe they came so close to beating K&P) and they were in essence, a couple in waiting at this time. No way were they going to make the podium even if they deserved to.

ETA - I remember at Worlds in the U.S broadcast, Sandra Bezic described their style as 'cool' (whereas K/P and U/P were 'hot')
    And another video with Canadian commentators and one of them talks about how they completely changed their style that year due to feedback they received after the 91 season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgaw0QaH_f0
    Last edited by gk_891; 03-11-2013 at 04:38 AM.

vCash
    Here's Grishuk & Platov's blues CD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWm_AG0N90

Many will call me crazy but I honestly would've placed them 2nd at these Olympics. Their blues CD was IMO superior to either the Duchesnays or Usova/Zhulin (Usova clearly does a back inside edge on her chocktaw rather than the required back outside edge). And both their OD and FD were so much more difficult than the couples I mentioned.

Klimova & Ponomarenko were clearly the best at these Olympics and were unbeatable which is no feat considering that they were in France competing against the Duchesnays. I remember being moved while watching Marina break down in the kiss and cry area when the artistic marks came out and it became clear that they were going to win the gold medal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxXQWnV_Rg (has Christopher Dean commentating)

I also have Grishuk & Platov's FD from these Olympics with Chris Dean commentating (he liked them back then!).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlNzp_V35A
    Thanks for posting his link. I agree with you re: the blues CD.
    And this is one of my favourite G&P FDs in terms of choreography. Very complex.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    The commentator says both G&P used to be pairs skaters... is that true? First time I've heard it.
    I don't think so. I've read online biographies and interview with both Oksana and Evgeni and I can't recall either mentioning being involved with pairs. I could be wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Thanks for posting his link. I agree with you re: the blues CD.
    And this is one of my favourite G&P FDs in terms of choreography. Very complex.
    Yeah, it's also one of my favourite FDs from them. I think it's fascinating in terms of both the concept and the content.

vCash
    The Duchesnays skated pairs with each other but stopped to concentrate on dance. Perhaps that's where the confusion stems from.

vCash
    I also loved G&P's FD here - one of the few I did. I can appreciate their Feeling Begins, and Memorial at least captured my attention, but I couldn't stand their 94, 95 or 96 FD's AT ALL. This FD (in 92) was, for me, so much more interesting than anything they produced during their unbeatable reign as champions. JMHO.

Having watched that clip it seems it didn't really grab the crowd though, which I can understand. It wasn't as initially crowd-pleasing as any of the top three. Also, Alan Weeks' said they were Ukrainian? Is that true?
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 03-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    You're not alone. That said, worst Olys ever. Hated the arena and the ladies result traumatised me. I was one hardcore 18 yr old Ito uber The only performances from this games that I have ever re-watched are Ito's long, K&P and Wylie.
    I might be second only to floskate in my lifelong love for Ito (I did embarrassing projects in elementary school on Japan that included lengthy discussions of Japan's rise as a figure skating power), but the 1992 Olympics did not depress me as much as Vancouver did. It was consolation for me at the time that 1) Ito courageously attempted and landed 3A after falling on the first, and 2) that Surya Bonnaly did not medal, because I blamed her for Ito's SP. I was very ill-tempered about that.

Is there a clip of when Bonaly rattled Ito during the SP warm up?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    that Surya Bonnaly did not medal, because I blamed her for Ito's SP. I was very ill-tempered about that.

Is there a clip of when Bonaly rattled Ito during the SP warm up?
    I'm glad that you're admiring Surya that much, but really, it's too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'm glad that you're admiring Surya that much, but really, it's too much.
    I was not admiring Surya at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I also loved G&P's FD here - one of the few I did. I can appreciate their Feeling Begins, and Memorial at least captured my attention, but I couldn't stand their 94, 95 or 96 FD's AT ALL. This FD (in 92) was, for me, so much more interesting than anything they produced during their unbeatable reign as champions. JMHO.

Having watched that clip it seems it didn't really grab the crowd though, which I can understand. It wasn't as initially crowd-pleasing as any of the top three. Also, Alan Weeks' said they were Ukrainian? Is that true?
    Yes, they were both born and raised in Odessa, Ukraine.

And yes, I also liked their 92 FD much better than their 94, 95, or 96 free dances. Interestingly their 93 FD was choreographed by Shanti Rushpaul, G/P did The Feeling Begins, while Tarasova did Memorial Requiem. On the other hand, Linichuk did their 94-96 free dances. I think that goes to show what a second-rate choreographer Linichuk was/is.

vCash
    ^How did I not know that G/P were Ukrainian?! How did they come to represent Russia? Did they ever skate for UKR?

vCash
    Generally, the '92 Olympics wasn't as exciting as I thought it could've been.

The highlight of the '92 Olympics was watching the FD of K/P. I felt like I was watching an Italian Renaissance painting come to life! Then, I remember expecting more from the Duchesnays and not really being able to connect to their programs in Albertville.

I also remember feeling really let down watching the ladies. This was supposed to be the Olympics we all were going to see some technical fireworks! But, alas, pressure and nagging injuries did Ito in and Harding was, well, Harding - unfocused, out of sorts. Yamaguchi couldn't match her '92 Nats performance, and Kerrigan and Bonaly were pretty subpar in the LP. Chouinard showed promise in '91 only to start down the road to headcase-dom in Albertville, and Hubert closed the curtain on the Ladies competition by giving probably the worst performance by a top performer ever at the Olympics in the LP.

As stated above, Paul Wylie was the most memorable part of the Men's competition. I don't need to go into specifics about Paul and his performances because they have been recounted here so well. But, the men's competition wasn't otherwise really anything to write home about.

I seem to remember M/D in pairs being better than what has been recounted here. I didn't recall them making mistakes in their program, but apparently they did. I also felt bad for B/E. They had a disappointing result - I think they were expecting silver and to even challenge M/D, but ended up behind the heretofore inconsistent B/P (who did very well for themselves). K/S who had done so well for themselves at '91 Worlds really didn't perform too well here, and all the hype over U/M (the truck driver and the waitress) overshadowed what they actually could do on the ice.

IDK, overall, one of the less memorable Olympics
    Last edited by olympic; 03-11-2013 at 03:36 PM.

vCash
    I don't think Grishuk & Platov represented Ukraine but I do recall in Albertville during medal ceremonies, skaters representing the Unified Team had their republic announced after like Unified Team - Russia. If they had won a medal, they might have been announced as Unified Team - Ukraine. But both had lived and trained in Moscow for ages. That's probably why they represented Russia after the break-up as opposed to Ukraine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Color me embarassed, I had no idea Michael Slipchuck was an Olympian. This is the director of high performance, right?
    He was in Calgary as well. I believe he and Kurt Browning were training mates in Edmonton.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast