vCash

Virtue & Moir 'polish' FD program and attribute leg cramps to increased training

New article on Virtue & Moir. It reads:-

The darlings of this year’s world figure skating championships, which will be held in London, Ontario, say they’ve “polished” their silver medal-winning routine from the 2013 Four Continents Championships.

“You could say we made some mistakes in our free program, technically,” admitted Ilderton native Scott Moir, one half of Canada’s best ice dancing pair.

It didn’t help when his partner, Londoner Tessa Virtue, experienced a strong leg cramp during the free dance portion of February’s Four Continents meet. The injury forced a temporary stoppage to their program, ultimately costing them a chance at standing atop the podium.

“To be honest, we were really, really pushing it in training,” said Virtue, when asked of the cramp’s origins on a Tuesday media call. “We were really trying to improve on our speed and power, and the intensity of our training increased significantly.”

Virtue insists the injury is a non-issue as they eye a third world championship title, this time on home ice at Budweiser Gardens.

vCash
    Well, I doubts they would admit it a few days before the Worlds if injury was an issue...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, I doubts they would admit it a few days before the Worlds if injury was an issue...
    Actually, they said something similar about Tessa cramping right after the comp and that they would assess what happened and its causes at a later day, which they did.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Actually, they said something similar about Tessa cramping right after the comp and that they would assess what happened and its causes at a later day, which they did.
    Oh, that surely must be the truth, if they said it right after the competition... (or not)

There was a whole season in the past when Tessa skated badly injured and they didn't admit it, so why they should admit it now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Oh, that surely must be the truth, if they said it right after the competition... (or not)
    It's hardly a far fetched "truth". That would be the time of the year to increase their training as it would be the second head to head against D&W and they would want a different result this time. Unfortunately for Tessa she can't overtrain the way she might have done in earlier years. Fortunately they don't have to, they just need to get an earlier start this year on their new programs.

vCash
    I just don't see the necessity of commenting now on something that's not supposed to be a problem.

That happens in horse racing when a favored horse has had an off performance, just to convince bettors that all is OK. But there are no bettors in competitive figure skating.

vCash
    Hmm, amazing the range of responses. Either it was fake and they were cheating because they could not handle their competitors or it's a real injury and they are not admitting it. Detractors will say anything to discredit certain teams.

vCash
    she needs to supplement with d-ribose.

vCash

Virtue & Moir 'polish' FD program and attribute leg cramps to increased training

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I just don't see the necessity of commenting now on something that's not supposed to be a problem.
    There have been posts by V/M fans who have expressed sincere concern about the well being of Tessa, and by some D/W fans who prefer to imply V/M are handicapped and hoping they will lose as a result. I am sure some people in the V/M camp, if not V/M themselves, are reading these boards. As long as people keep making these types of posts, official comments are likely a necessary response to ensure wild rumors are not exaggerated, and don't run rampant.
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.

vCash
    Or they get asked the question when they do press because it's recent and people want to know what's going on.

vCash
    1. If it isn't an issue, of course they would say it wasn't an issue.

2. If it is an issue, of course they would say it wasn't an issue.

3. Because Tessa and Scott hid the extent of her pain during the Olympic season, I believe it's fair to wonder if she's in pain now.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    That happens in horse racing when a favored horse has had an off performance, just to convince bettors that all is OK. But there are no bettors in competitive figure skating.
    But there are judges...
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    There have been posts by V/M fans who have expressed sincere concern about the well being of Tessa, and by D/W fans who prefer to imply V/M are handicapped and hoping they will lose as a result. I am sure some people in the V/M camp, if not V/M themselves, are reading these boards. As long as people keep making these types of posts, official comments are likely a necessary response to ensure wild rumors are not exaggerated, and don't run rampant.
    Why should there be an 'official' response to posts on message boards? That in itself is bizarre. It's common knowledge that Tessa has delicate legs and that she is averse to admitting to being in pain. But she is obviously capable of skating, and she IS skating. That should be sufficient, hence no need to "splain'.

vCash
    I don't see anything bizarre in the media asking Tessa about the origins of her leg cramp considering her surgeries.
    Great to hear V/M trust their programs and themselves and feel confident about Worlds. Tessa may have delicate legs but those delicate legs didn't stop them from winning Olympic and World titles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    1. If it isn't an issue, of course they would say it wasn't an issue.

2. If it is an issue, of course they would say it wasn't an issue.

3. Because Tessa and Scott hid the extent of her pain during the Olympic season, I believe it's fair to wonder if she's in pain now.
    I agree..... I hope they she is well, and able to skate to her best

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    There have been posts by V/M fans who have expressed sincere concern about the well being of Tessa, and by some D/W fans who prefer to imply V/M are handicapped and hoping they will lose as a result. I am sure some people in the V/M camp, if not V/M themselves, are reading these boards. As long as people keep making these types of posts, official comments are likely a necessary response to ensure wild rumors are not exaggerated, and don't run rampant.
    I have a feeling that this is D&W's year - just a feeling. It seems to me that the level of artistry in Carmen may render the program vulnerable to a loss of technical points. Last year I prepared for D&W to take the title, I thought their program was brilliant and superior to Funny Face. This year I think Carmen is the superior program, but am okay it if is D&W's turn. Yes, it is politics rather than the true judgement of sport. But I'm still okay with it. Some tension going into the Olympics is always good for the media and if D&W get the title this year, their will be tension.